As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animal Crossing: Putting the "social" back in "social-distancing."

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's really stringing us along.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Went on my first Nook Island Adventure and found a demon circling a fire and invited him to my island... turns out hes just a goat :/

Anyone have Deidre? She sucks and I hate her. Please randomly end a sentence with whatevs I beg you. How do I vote people off my island?

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Went on my first Nook Island Adventure and found a demon circling a fire and invited him to my island... turns out hes just a goat :/

Anyone have Deidre? She sucks and I hate her. Please randomly end a sentence with whatevs I beg you. How do I vote people off my island?

Ignore them until they leave. Shun them mercilessly.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Nibbles is settled in now and is just a delight. She will go full Doki Doki Literature Club eventually but it will be fun to watch.

NIBBLES! She was the all-star of our GCN town and we were devastated when she moved out. I haven't seen her in any version since (including Pocket Camp) so I'm glad to hear she's still kicking around.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    I've been fishing for trash all day. I've found so many tires, some boots, a couple of rocks, but not a single damn can. I've got a DYI to use that needs peices of each trash.

Did finish the Nook miles for trash fishing

I have an extra can you can have. I think I can mail it?

Edit: I mailed it! How soon do get it?

Thank you so much. It was there when I logged in, but it was after five pm.

So let me show you my brand new trash bags!

fxlcolxxbshz.jpg

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »

Ignore them until they leave. Shun them mercilessly.

Im pretry sure you can evict villagers now. No bullying required.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    Damnit, Sprocket, didn’t you pay attention to Tom Nook’s broadcast about COVID-19? Seems like your ear muscles need a workout, too.

z7wn02ctobhm.jpeg

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So is this game just a grind fest without Nintendo Online? I was working towards upgraded the Nook shop and without being connected to the internet you're limited to your starter island and the Nook Ticket islands to get materials. . .all of which took three tickets to achieve last night.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    So is this game just a grind fest without Nintendo Online? I was working towards upgraded the Nook shop and without being connected to the internet you're limited to your starter island and the Nook Ticket islands to get materials. . .all of which took three tickets to achieve last night.

I actually signed up for a year of Ninty online just because I realized I couldn't go check out other islands without it.

Then I realized I have no friends and could have spent that money better by throwing it at a busker lol

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Not really sure how being online helps much. You can't really raid materials from your friends.

Are you doing rocks right? You should be getting 8 resources per rock per day. That's quite a bit of resources from both your home village and per visited island.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Yeah being online doesn't fix that. You login and do stuff per day and then use a ticket to go to another island for farming materials. That's pretty much your only option... Although I guess if you had online then friends could just give you their materials if they don't need em.

This game is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't need to complete everything in one day. It took me about 3 days to get 30 Iron Nuggets for the shop. Most people here are doing all the major things each day but I'm just taking my time with it.

• Options

Not really sure how being online helps much. You can't really raid materials from your friends.

Are you doing rocks right? You should be getting 8 resources per rock per day. That's quite a bit of resources from both your home village and per visited island.

Yeah other than fruit the only things other towns are really good for is shop inventory variety and turnip prices. Especially since you can't even use shovels and axes unless you've been approved to do so.

Which, again, I am not doing for anyone who I can't track down IRL.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    I now have multiple of each tree growing so I should be able to start supplying any fruit shortages within the next couple of days.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Only a few days left to get a Sturgeon and String Fish. I can't seem to get either of them to show up for my Museum! :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Are you guys fishing the “river source” at the very top cliff, after 4pm? I tossed about 7-8 bait up there to get mine.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I think there's a real disconnect between how the game was meant to be played, which is chipping away at things bit by bit over months, vs how many of us are playing, which is driving to maximize every unlock/upgrade every day. 500,000 bells per room is a lot if you're trying to do it in a single session, but not so much if you're just selling fruit and fish over the course of a week.

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Yeah other than fruit the only things other towns are really good for is shop inventory variety and turnip prices. Especially since you can't even use shovels and axes unless you've been approved to do so.

Can't track down? Sounds like if someone takes an ax to your towns trees you're going to take an ax to them :D

• Options
    edited March 2020
    This is My First Animal Crossing, and my village no doubt shows but as someone who put hundreds of hours into Don't Starve, it was relatively comfortable to pick up and enjoy. There are still a lot of enticing mysteries, but if you're new to AC, here's the gist of what you want to accomplish each day:
    • Run across every beach on your island. Pick up any shells you find, but you are specifically looking for a message in a bottle that will wash up every day. This message will always have a crazy new DIY recipe.
    • Go to every rock on your island and mine it. You accomplish this by whacking it with a shovel very quickly. Think of it like a multi-coin block in Mario - the faster you can hit it, the more goods you'll get - but you'll stagger backwards each time you whack it. So position yourself at an angle to the rock - above and to the right or above or below to the right or left, and dig a pair of holes above you, and behind you. These holes will stop you from staggering backwards as you whack the rock, permitting up to 8 harvests per rock per day.
    • Go to every tree on your island and hit it twice with an axe. If you hit it 3 times you'll cut down the tree, and that's no bueno. A stone axe can harvest 3x without chopping it down.
    • Pick up the fruit. Fruit is kinda' complicated.
    • If you eat a fruit, a little thing will pop up in the top-left, numbered from 1 to 10. As you eat more fruit (up to 10) that number goes up. What does it mean? It's a mystery! But each number there allows you one super-action. Kinda. With a fruit loaded, you can dig up an entire tree with your shovel. And you'll destroy any rock with one swing of the shovel, so be careful. Don't worry - destroyed rocks will respawn. But there's another thing you can do with fruit!

Dig a hole, and plant the fruit! Soon you'll have a strong new fruit tree to harvest - and it's pretty good-lookin', too!

*you can also sell, gift and craft with fruit
    • Each day will feature a glowing spot on your island - dig it up to receive bells. Plant 10,000 bells to grow a bell tree that will pay out 10,000 x3. You can do more but it's not guaranteed return and it's complicated.
    • As you travel your island, dig up any obvious things in the ground, catch any new-looking insects and bring them to the owl who never shuts up.
    • Once you have seeded most of your island with trees, completing a daily circuit of your island - collecting all fossils, harvesting all fruit and wood, gathering the beaches - you can just straight sell that shit to the Nooks for a lot of bells. If you have the storage capacity, hang on to a few stacks of wood, branches, rocks, iron, etc for crafting.
    • I accomplish the above in stages. First the beach run, then I begin harvesting trees and mining in sections.

But this is, I think, kind of a min-max-y way of looking at the game and not really conducive to enjoying its more charming aspects - the villagers.

Chance on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    This is My First Animal Crossing, and my village no doubt shows but as someone who put hundreds of hours into Don't Starve, it was relatively comfortable to pick up and enjoy. There are still a lot of enticing mysteries, but if you're new to AC, here's the gist of what you want to accomplish each day:
    • Run across every beach on your island. Pick up any shells you find, but you are specifically looking for a message in a bottle that will wash up every day. This message will always have a crazy new DIY recipe.
    • Go to every rock on your island and mine it. You accomplish this by whacking it with a shovel very quickly. Think of it like a multi-coin block in Mario - the faster you can hit it, the more goods you'll get - but you'll stagger backwards each time you whack it. So position yourself at an angle to the rock - above and to the right or above or below to the right or left, and dig a pair of holes above you, and behind you. These holes will stop you from staggering backwards as you whack the rock, permitting up to 8 harvests per rock per day.
    • Go to every tree on your island and hit it twice with an axe. If you hit it 3 times you'll cut down the tree, and that's no bueno.
    • If you eat a fruit, a little thing will pop up in the top-left, numbered from 1 to 10. As you eat more fruit (up to 10) that number goes up. What does it mean? It's a mystery! But each number there allows you one super-action. Kinda. With a fruit loaded, you can dig up an entire tree with your shovel. And you'll destroy any rock with one swing of the shovel, so be careful. Don't worry - destroyed rocks will respawn. But there's another thing you can do with fruit!

Dig a hole, and plant the fruit! Soon you'll have a strong new fruit tree to harvest - and it's pretty good-lookin', too!

• Each day will feature a glowing spot on your island - dig it up to receive bells. Plant 10,000 bells to grow a bell tree that will pay out 10,000 x3. You can do more but it's not guaranteed return and it's complicated.
    • As you travel your island, dig up any obvious things in the ground, catch any new-looking insects and bring them to the owl who never shuts up.
    • Once you have seeded most of your island with trees, completing a daily circuit of your island - collecting all fossils, harvesting all fruit and wood, gathering the beaches - you can just straight sell that shit to the Nooks for a lot of bells. If you have the storage capacity, hang on to a few stacks of wood, branches, rocks, iron, etc for crafting.
    • I accomplish the above in stages. First the beach run, then I begin harvesting trees and mining in sections.

But this is, I think, kind of a min-max-y way of looking at the game and not really conducive to enjoying its more charming aspects - the villagers.

Use the Stone Axe rather than the "Axe" for trees. You can hit them three times for wood, and it will never chop them down.

• Options
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    • Go to every tree on your island and hit it twice with an axe. If you hit it 3 times you'll cut down the tree, and that's no bueno.

Use the Stone Axe rather than the "Axe" for trees. You can hit them three times for wood, and it will never chop them down.

Hmm. Will it last as long as my axe tho?

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Are you guys fishing the “river source” at the very top cliff, after 4pm? I tossed about 7-8 bait up there to get mine.

Is that where to find it? I was unsure if clifftop river meant the source or any river that is up a level.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    The Sturgeon is at the point where the ocean meets the river, correct? I didn't think he was in the hill top.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Got a late start due to Amazon but finally have the museum up and my first resident in the process of moving in today. It's a hot pink squirrel girl who lives in a hot pink house who I assume once unpacked will have plenty of hot pink furnishings. Sure why not.

Sahara is also in my village today, and she(?) sold me a mossy dirt flooring and a ruins wallpaper so now the interior of my house looks like I'm living in some old ruins. Awesome.

EUDDC5dUUAEvf0I?format=jpg

Now I just need appropriate furniture.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The Sturgeon is at the point where the ocean meets the river, correct? I didn't think he was in the hill top.

Correct.
    I believe they are talking about finding the string fish in the cliffs.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i'm southern hemisphere
    we have a ton of cooler fishes.
    I got oranges, coconuts, pears and peaches, plus roses.
    my weeds are different for some reason

Lemme know if you wanna visit

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I was wondering if Northern hemi got those fish in different seasons, is the only way to get them to travel to southern islands?

• Options
    i'm southern hemisphere

I have to check if I have you on my friends list. I need Oranges and then I have all the fruit. :D

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    I think there's a real disconnect between how the game was meant to be played, which is chipping away at things bit by bit over months, vs how many of us are playing, which is driving to maximize every unlock/upgrade every day. 500,000 bells per room is a lot if you're trying to do it in a single session, but not so much if you're just selling fruit and fish over the course of a week.

Yeah I mean people should play how they want of course, but I'm finding community discussion about this game to be very different from previous games, in that people are much more intense and focused about completing the perceived goals of the game. This change could just be due to how popular the game is. In comparison, Wild World on the Nintendo DS (the last game in which I discussed and played online a lot with folks here) sold 325k copies in the first week in Japan. New Horizons has sold 1.88 million copies in the first three days in Japan. Even New Leaf took almost two months to sell 2 million copies.

So the game is getting a lot of new people who usually wouldn't play this game and they play it like they play other games.

One thing I would like to note, at the end of my first week I am finding myself in a lull and I don't really need as many materials as I did in the first few days to set up the first set of buildings. I haven't needed to do any grinding or had to rely on going on mystery tours. That could change in the future, but since I've been casually gathering resources each day I have a stockpile I can use the next time. So now I'm just relaxing. The other day I spent hours designing some clothes, and last night I put my character to bed and listened to the rain outside with a pendulum clock ticking away and my Switch off to the side like it was a white noise machine.

• Options
    edited March 2020

Can't track down? Sounds like if someone takes an ax to your towns trees you're going to take an ax to them :D

And plant them in a glowing hole in my yard, yes.

Vyolynce on
  • Options

And plant them in a glowing hole in my yard, yes.

I have only approved my husband as I know where he sleeps and he knows better than to mess with my town. He played Minecraft with me, so he already knows how these things go.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options

3 full stacks of fish bait and 2 fishing poles and no joy. I did get a golden trout and a cherry salmon for my museum though. Seriously, my fish luck stat is just Blathers laughing maniacally in the background.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

I have no idea. I haven't been online. I just figured it worked the same as these Nook Ticket: go to island, break some rocks, hoard some resources and then peace out. Also I have no idea if I'm doing the rocks right or wrong. I hit 'em with an axe and stuff falls out. . .sometimes they were iron nuggets. . .mostly just rocks.
    urahonky wrote: »

This game is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't need to complete everything in one day. It took me about 3 days to get 30 Iron Nuggets for the shop. Most people here are doing all the major things each day but I'm just taking my time with it.

I don't play every day, so I try to get in as much as I can when I can. It's easy to get Nook Miles for tickets (relatively) but I was just curious how much easier this might be if you were able to visit another persons island.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I ah
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    i'm southern hemisphere

I have to check if I have you on my friends list. I need Oranges and then I have all the fruit. :D

Island open for EVERYONE via dodo code, f0v54

come one, come all
    get all the oranges you want.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Coming in for oranges, big thankies

Also to steal some rare fish-o's

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Some of the more ‘hidden’ Nook Miles rewards we have found by being incompetent, which more skilful players may miss:
    Getting stung while already puffy faced resulting in a faint.

Shooting a balloon present into the water.
    Thanks for the tip on that second one - saw a convenient opportunity today to get it, and took it. Or, well, didn't take it, I guess.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    That’s going to be hard for me once I return to being a Khajit. I work 10 to 10 most days, so I can’t take my switch to work every time. It won’t really be usable for me as my 8-10 period is spent doing other things.

Sunday pre-roleplaying shopping sprees will be my sole option.

You can also drop things off in a box outside the shop after hours, but I think they take a 20% cut on anything you sell this way.

You also don’t get your cash until the next day which kind of removes the point. If you’ve got to wait for that you might as well wait to sell at full price.
    Sometimes you get a daily Nook Miles goal for selling stuff (weeds, shells), or for earning 5k bells by selling stuff. If you only have time to log in before/after shop hours, that drop-off box still lets you accomplish those goals; I feel like 20% loss on selling some weeds is a perfectly fine price to pay for getting those Nook Miles.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Sturgeon finally! Spent hours digging clams and chucking them in, only to finally find the bugger naturally generated when returning from building yet another fishing rod.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    oh, there's some cool southern fishes up in the starting pools and rivers, don't forget to fish there

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I got confirmation about something I always wondered about. The animals that move in are also given a loan by Tom. Plucky told me that Ky looked happy leaving resident services yesterday. The only reason it could be was she paid off her loan. Plucky then mentioned she should be able to pay hers off in about 387 years.

So everyone on the island is in debt to Nook.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    oh, there's some cool southern fishes up in the starting pools and rivers, don't forget to fish there

I forgot to make fish bait before I came, I'm so dumb

I did catch a few just random, there's a ton here that I needed! Already got 4-5 I didn't have before

Ok by the time I left I had 9 new fishes and two new bugs! Thanks again!

Local H Jay on
This discussion has been closed.