As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Stay Alert Home Alert Stay Household

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    @Spaffy , don't know if you got in under the wire, but all estate agents/movers/etc have been ordered to close, as they are not, as we expected, essential. Any moves not literally happenning when that article was posted yesterday have been cancelled.

Annoyingly, that includes ours. The Mrs. is flying out on Friday, which is good, but all of our stuff is now in the house for the forseeable, without us there to direct the move, which is bad.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Dibbit wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I mean yes he's rich and famous but he's also constitutionally important (if not actually necessary to handle the current crisis) and probably has regular contact with government people. So testing him isn't solely a matter of privilege as a result of money (though obviously the hereditary nature of his position is a matter of egregious privilege).

Having a succession crisis right now because Charles and/or the Queen got ill would be a problem in a way that, say, Danny Dyer or Harry Kane or some other rich and famous person getting ill wouldn't.

While you're absolutely right, because that's the way the rules are (not) written down. If the UK actually got to the point of "Oh no! No more royal family" It could solve this in about 1 hour by:
    1) appointing some random other person as King
    2) becoming a republic.
    3) just pretending that the Queen never died, and just use "the office of the Crown" or some stand-in.

This potential crisis is super easy solved.
    Now I realize that actually solving things is not really Boris'ses "thing"....

Sure it is.

First, you can remove option two while the Tories are in power. It just wouldn't happen.

And if you don't think Boris would at least attempt to appoint himself to positions one or three if he had the chance, I think you think more highly of him than I do.

All hail King Boris, First of his Name.

:sad:

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I mean yes he's rich and famous but he's also constitutionally important (if not actually necessary to handle the current crisis) and probably has regular contact with government people. So testing him isn't solely a matter of privilege as a result of money (though obviously the hereditary nature of his position is a matter of egregious privilege).

Having a succession crisis right now because Charles and/or the Queen got ill would be a problem in a way that, say, Danny Dyer or Harry Kane or some other rich and famous person getting ill wouldn't.

While you're absolutely right, because that's the way the rules are (not) written down. If the UK actually got to the point of "Oh no! No more royal family" It could solve this in about 1 hour by:
    2) becoming a republic.
    3) just pretending that the Queen never died, and just use "the office of the Crown" or some stand-in.

Sure it is.

First, you can remove option two while the Tories are in power. It just wouldn't happen.

And if you don't think Boris would at least attempt to appoint himself to positions one or three if he had the chance, I think you think more highly of him than I do.

What if this is all Johnson's game of LARP CK2?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I'm also descended from royalty way back when, can I have a go at being King? I will give all the stolen jewels back and donate Buckingham palace to Shelter, and bring back the Saxon style hall with a big fuckoff fire in the middle to use instead.

You have my sword!

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    MorganV wrote: »

2) becoming a republic.

Sure it is.

Ppff... if that worries you, just wait till you have to bow to....

The Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland, and the dominions thereto belonging: Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Realistically you don't need an actual monarch to fulfill the position of the Crown in the UK

But socially if the Queen died now we would struggle. It would hit the country extremely hard

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Super hard to line the streets in performative grief during a state funeral when you're socially distancing

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    the absolute nutso royalists you see time and again on the news would gladly die from the virus if that's what it took to grieve appropriately.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Super hard to line the streets in performative grief during a state funeral when you're socially distancing

Not really. 250,000 people lined the streets for the Queen Mother. Let's double that for the queen for quick math.

Each person takes up a 3' area. Standing 6' apart. Two sides of the street is 250K per side. So you'ld just need a route that's 427 miles.

According to http://www.madgwickcarriagemasters.co.uk/faqs/ , a funeral carriage can travel a mile in 7 minutes. They limit their horses to 10 miles a day, so assume another 7 minutes to switch in fresh horses. Also, assume you're wanting to not travel in darkness, so no more than 12 hours a day. So, 9 sets of horses, equals 90 miles.

Meaning almost 5 days of travel.

Sorry, math takes my mind off shit that terrifies me. Math done, now I'm terrified again.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That feels like something they'd have done in The Before Times

Carting a dead monarch about so everybody could have a gander without travelling too far from their village

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Could they do concurrent legs? Like split the route up into 10 legs that all start roughly the same time?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Could they do concurrent legs? Like split the route up into 10 legs that all start roughly the same time?

Would that require splitting the queen up into 2 legs, and 8 other pieces?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Would that require splitting the queen up into 2 legs, and 8 other pieces?

Oh silly me, yes that’s probably more like it

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Split up the route or split up the Queen?

I mean, it would make things safer?

Edit: Damnit! Brovid beat me to the punch!

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    So my grandmother, who turned like 88 yesterday, came down with a cough. My aunt has just taken her to hospital because she developed a fever and difficulty breathing. She has cancer. They've apparently sent her home again, because according to the doctor "she'll be safer there", but they think she could have covid. So I guess the prescription is stay home and cross your fingers? Fuck it all.

• Options
    Holy crap, @Brovid Hasselsmof . :sad: Everything crossed for your grandmother and love to you and your family.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    From the Guardian blog.
    Rick Stein has refused to to pay his workers’ wages for over a month while his restaurants are closed.

According to the Daily Mail, the celebrity chef and tv presenter told staff across the 14 sites they would not be paid until the end of April when the government is scheduled to pay wage subsidies to businesses that have shut down.

The news comes after Gordon Ramsay came under fire for laying off more than 500 staff members at his string of restaurants amid the coronavirus crisis.

I have provisionally added two more millionaires to the arsehole list. I mean, at least one of them was probably already on the list and has been for many years, but still.

• Options
    These things will be remembered when all this is over.

• Options

Twitter random but the clip is from Newsnight, about the way death figures are compiled and why those yesterday were oddly lower. You can understand why they might not want to release individual details as that could help identify someone, but I can't see a reason why they'd block the overall figure.

• Options
    I can see a reason

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Twitter random but the clip is from Newsnight, about the way death figures are compiled and why those yesterday were oddly lower. You can understand why they might not want to release individual details as that could help identify someone, but I can't see a reason why they'd block the overall figure.

Less deaths, our measures are working, the threat is nearly over, we can soon get the economy going again!

• Options
    So far the government has made absolutely no noises about getting the economy up and running again in the way Trump has. Johnson said that stupid "twelve weeks" thing but they very quickly rolled back on it and he hasn't repeated it to my knowledge. I genuinely doubt it's part of some ploy to massage the figures so they can reopen everything.

I can see them maybe not wanting the figures to explode but those deaths are going to end up on the tallies eventually, so they're not making them go away, just delaying the inclusion.

• Options
    The only reason I can think to not release figures is to make the figures look better

• Options
    The only reason I can think to not release figures is to make the figures look better

Yup. Trump-inometry.

Bogart is right that the number will eventually be counted, but that's Future Ted's Boris's problem. For right now, managing the perception is more important than accepting the reality.

• Options
    But this isn’t accompanied by anyone saying the figures are going down therefore we can blah di blah.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    But this isn’t accompanied by anyone saying the figures are going down therefore we can blah di blah.

I could see it being done more as an attempt to reduce or forestall panic. Eventually accurate numbers being increased starts to turn into statistics rather than grandma.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

I could see it being done more as an attempt to reduce or forestall panic. Eventually accurate numbers being increased starts to turn into statistics rather than grandma.

Maybe. But a journalist is going to ask a minister at a daily briefing why the numbers are going down and then the jig's pretty much up on any smokescreen or disinformation because either they straight up lie or say well we're compiling the numbers differently and the numbers aren't going down. I mean yesterday was the first day and Newsnight are already hmmm why is this happening?

I don't think there's an nefarious ulterior motive, though anything's possible. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's a dumb blanket data protection thing and they can't add the figures to the total without permission first, which makes no sense (because the total is anonymised) but would at least conform to a sense of officious rules-obeying.

But hey I could be wrong!

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I mean our government saying blatant lies and getting away with it isn't exactly unprecedented.

But who knows

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Always rule out incompetence before going to malice. Even/especially with this government.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    There was a degree of noise about the government handing a contract for 10k ventilators to Dyson, complete with the usual bullshit about 'blitz spirit' and all that crap. See:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043767

Notably they're pushing their own design, rather than manufacturing an existing design. Now, Dyson isn't a company that I'd particularly associate with medical equiptment, and likewise I strongly doubt that they're able to go from no experience to producing medical grade equiptment in the span of about two months max - even with outside help. Similarly, as I understand it medical devices need very stringent testing (particularly invasive devices like a ventilator) and I'd be very wary of rushing an untested design from a company with no medical background though approval. So why is the government giving them a large contract?

Since it's Dyson, who I have no end of distain for due to his openly pro-brexit stance, I'm suspicious of motives. And then you have this from Peston:

So yeah, not improving my opinion of Dyson in any way.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    It’s been lost in all the Covid-19 news, but it’s looking like the unthinkable will happen and eternal enemies Fine Gael (Leo Varadkar’s Party) and Fianna Fáil will form a government. Because technically speaking we still don’t have one.

RTÉ News is Ireland’s public broadcast news service.

If you’re unfamiliar with Irish political parties then Fine Gael (feena gale) is more or less like the Tory party in the UK while Fianna Fáil (feeuhnah foil) is more or less like the Tory party in the UK. Their eternal enmity stems from the Civil War and from unwillingness to admit that basically they’re kinda both the same really when push comes to shove, although Fine Gael is a tiny but to the left of Fianna Fáil.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    @Desktop Hippie , helping me pronounce Irish things since 20xx. Always appreciated! :)

Jazz on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    @Desktop Hippie , helping me pronounce Irish things since 201x. Always appreciated! :)

This month sees my 13th forum anniversary.

• Options
    Date corrected, with apologies :)

• Options
    altid wrote: »
    There was a degree of noise about the government handing a contract for 10k ventilators to Dyson, complete with the usual bullshit about 'blitz spirit' and all that crap. See:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043767

Notably they're pushing their own design, rather than manufacturing an existing design. Now, Dyson isn't a company that I'd particularly associate with medical equiptment, and likewise I strongly doubt that they're able to go from no experience to producing medical grade equiptment in the span of about two months max - even with outside help. Similarly, as I understand it medical devices need very stringent testing (particularly invasive devices like a ventilator) and I'd be very wary of rushing an untested design from a company with no medical background though approval. So why is the government giving them a large contract?

Since it's Dyson, who I have no end of distain for due to his openly pro-brexit stance, I'm suspicious of motives. And then you have this from Peston:

So yeah, not improving my opinion of Dyson in any way.

While it's good that they'll need to get cleared before they get used, it does show why the failure of Trump to invoke the DPA is such a clusterfuck for the Americans.

Reworking a facility to produce something you don't normally do (and one where demand might end in weeks* or months), requires capital and will, and just doing so on the hope you'll get contracts is going to make a lot of corporations hesitate.
    * Yes, we now know that it's not going to be weeks, but when this started, some high profile idiots (like the afformentioned Trump) were claiming such.

The Government providing specifications and a large volume order, preferably with a sizeable downpayment, gives companies the confidence the market's not going to disappear or be undercut before they've finished retooling their machines.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I had been wondering why Varadkar was still Taoiseach, thanks for the update DH!

• Options

Thread from Sky correspondent. The tl:dr version of why the figures changed yesterday is that they've changed the way they collate them and will be reporting the number later. Yesterday was the cross over day. No plot, and today's figures may well be much higher as a consequence.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The tweet talks about a 'strong stable' government. That's a bad sign for Ireland's future.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.