As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

in which we ffwd thru the talky bits of the [movie] thread

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Paul Walker had a fuckin' wild career

known pederast paul walker

Go on

He dated and had sex with a teenager and almost certainly committed statutory rape multiple times, he preyed on a young fan, who was 13 when they started dating, he was 33 at the time

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Also that cover implies a blood soaked goretastic vapid wacky comedy and Tammy and the T-Rex delievers only on the vapidity

The "Gore" edition just hit Shudder. I haven't watched it but it apparently earns it's name.

Very fun, I recommend

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Paul Walker had a fuckin' wild career

known pederast paul walker

Go on

https://studybreaks.com/tvfilm/times-paul-walker-dated-teenage-girls/

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    what about the atlas shrugged movies

The ones that had totally different casts and increasingly small budgets?

There is something wonderful about the third film having a kickstarter to secure some funding to get made. Just, perfect.

Just as much as that there were enough suckers to put in almost half a mil for the sorry thing.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    welp, watchin' Re-animator with my mom.

gonna get very stoned first tho.

just me, not my mom. She's "working from home"

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well I didnt know that Paul Walker fucked kids, I do not revel in this knowledge but I do typically appreciate being abreast of who is/was a pedophile

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    If you're in the US and want to know what other Stuart Gordon films you can watch: https://www.justwatch.com/us/search?q=Stuart Gordon&person_id=19344 Most of his directed filmography is available for free

Castle Freak (also available for free with ads on Tubi), Re-Animator, and Stuck (his final directed film, which is also available for free with ads on IMDBTV) are all on Shudder, which you can see as part of a free month with the promo code SHUTIN
    From Beyond and Dolls are free with ads on PlutoTV
    Dagon and the '91 Pit and the Pendulum are free with ads on Tubi
    Edmond is free with ads on Vudu
    King of the Ants is free with ads on Vudu and PopcornFlix
    The half-hour short Kid Safe: The Video is on Youtube

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Stuart Gordon, director of Re-Animator, has died.

Never been a better time to watch that classic movie. And From Beyond, too! And while we're at it, Dagon, Castle Freak and ROBOT JOX.

@Knob have you heard of re-animator?

Jokes aside, I love Stuart Gordon. I loved Robot Jox, I loved Dagon, I loved them all.

RIP.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    "you killed him!"

"no I did not...

I gave him life."

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I only recently saw Reanimator for the first time and I thought it ruled

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Wow I had no idea Dagon and King of the Ants were both Stuart Gordon. He was even more influential on teen me than I realized!

Wish I had a working VCR right now so I could pop Dagon in.

...and King of the Ants, holy shit. I haven't thought about that movie in years.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Stuart Gordon also co-wrote and co-created Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, but had to drop out from directing it because working for Disney gave him dangerously high blood pressure.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Wonder Woman 1984 pushed from June to Aug. 14, taking the place of James Wan's new movie, Malignant. That and Scoob and In the Heights are now pushed to ???? release dates.

And a handful of 2020 releases hit VOD today, The Gentleman, Bloodshot, The Way Back and Saint Frances.

i wonder what theatres are even doing at this point

Shutting down and hoping for a bailout.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    Wonder Woman 1984 pushed from June to Aug. 14, taking the place of James Wan's new movie, Malignant. That and Scoob and In the Heights are now pushed to ???? release dates.

And a handful of 2020 releases hit VOD today, The Gentleman, Bloodshot, The Way Back and Saint Frances.

i wonder what theatres are even doing at this point

Shutting down and hoping for a bailout.

So basically like every other business.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    welp, watchin' Re-animator with my mom.

gonna get very stoned first tho.

just me, not my mom. She's "working from home"

the only thing I know about Reanimator is that Kevin Spacey asks the neighbor kid about it as an excuse to buy weed from him in American Beauty, so this makes sense to me

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I cannot praise Re-Animator enough.

I've almost certainly told this story here before, but Re-Animator is what got me into watching horror movies. As a kid I was convinced that I did not like horror as a genre, especially horror in movie form. I don't entirely know where I got this idea, because I grew up reading Edgar Allen Poe and watching The X-Files and throwing slumber parties that everyone else had to go home from because the ghost stories were too scary, but it was firmly entrenched by the time I was a teenager.

But when I was fifteen, I started reading HP Lovecraft. I can't be entirely certain why I decided to do this, but I believe it's because I was trying to branch out from Dungeons and Dragons and discovered the Call of Cthulhu game. I read through a flimsy collection of some of his less known stories and I was instantly in love with it. And one of the stories I specifically liked was Herbert West: Re-Animator.

Maybe a year after that my mom started getting Netflix (still in its nascent mail-based form), and I could have one of the three DVDs she got at a time. One of the movies I rented this way was Re-Animator, which I watched by myself. I had read or been told that it was more of a like, good-bad horror movie, and I was confident that it would be fine. It was, and I loved it, and from there I started watching more and more horror movies, eager to catch up on the things that I'd missed by being obstinately disinterested for the past several years.

The other thing I will say is that when I first fell in love with Re-Animator, I fell in love with it as a shitty adaptation of a story I liked, campy and bad but fun to laugh at. As I grew older, I began presenting it to friends as more of a life, "Well, it's not quite the original story, and it has some camp to it, but it's still kind of good." And now I've come one hundred percent around on it - everything I love about the movie is intentional, it's honestly a better and more concise version of the story than the written form is, and Stuart Gordon (as well as Brian Yuzna, Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton, etc) deserves a massive amount of credit for it. Yeah, it's still going to be funny and schlocky B-horror, but it's that at its absolute best.

• Options
    movies like that need heart to work and Re-animator has it in spades

everybody in it is giving it their absolute best

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Also props to Stuart Gordon for putting Jeffrey Combs center stage as much as he did

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I still think about that scene where Combs has a cat puppet stuck to his back at least once a week

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I feel like actually seeing any of the re-animator movies would diminish my appreciation for the music video from one of the sequels and I'm not sure I can allow that.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    what about the atlas shrugged movies

The ones that had totally different casts and increasingly small budgets?

I'm not sure something can be increasingly small!

Sure it can!

According to Wikipedia, the second film had half the budget of the first film, and the third film had half the budget of the second film.

• Options
    my mom thought Re-animator was "dumb"

which like, yeah a little.

she did applaud the absolutely gruesome special effects and we had to pause to laugh during the scene when Jeffrey Combs gets attacked by the cat.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Do you believe that it’s dead now?
    DO YOU BELIEVE THAT IT’S DEAD NOW?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Aj loan me space truckers I'll loan you hudson hawk

i already got hudson hawk!

do you got a region free dvd player, i can still loan you space truckers

I was gonna put it in my computer but then i realized I don't have a disc drive anymore

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnG4ag3Nkes

this looks surprisingly fun?

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    I kinda love that art style

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Must be weird planning for a wedding during these turbulent times.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

i thought wedding party group texts used to be bad before this...but wooo

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    dunno if I'm gonna want to watch a movie that has both will forte and ricky gervais in it but I'm willing to try

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Less "weird" and more "upsetting and stressful." Some very good, old friends have a wedding scheduled for DC in May. Current status uncertain.

One of my wife's coworkers had been planning her wedding in Italy, for the beginning of this past March, for 2 years. That obviously didn't happen. A little heartbreaking.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    dunno if I'm gonna want to watch a movie that has both will forte and ricky gervais in it but I'm willing to try

for me i can't decide if my love for will forte can conquer my hatred of gervais

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    all I do on my days off is watch movies cause like, what else am I gonna do

but right now I wanna talk about School of Rock, a basically perfect movie that only gets better now that I'm an adult and recognize how goddamn weird it is that indie darlings Richard Linklater and Mike White teamed up for a movie and it was a huge crowdpleasing family film

From the Writer of "Chuck & Buck" and the Writer/Director of "Waking Life," the poster could say

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I love School of Rock so much

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    School of Rock fuckin rules

• Options

for me i can't decide if my love for will forte can conquer my hatred of gervais

my dislike of will forte is just because I think he's annoying but gervais is both annoying and a giant sack of shit so...

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    The kids in School of Rock are very great.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I should probably watch School of Rock

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The Broadway version of School of Rock is a ton of fun as well

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nick Pinkerton, one of the best writers on film today, just wrote about Deadbeat At Dawn, the kind of movie I think a lot of people here will (or already do) like, but most wouldn't take seriously. Pinkerton approaches it from a regional outsider art standpoint, in the tradition of George A. Romero or countless music scenes. It's absolutely fascinating and so refreshing to see a writer of this skill and knowledge not dismiss or condescend (which is a worse crime) to this kind of filmmaking.

He just started a substack where he'll be posting long-form writing that couldn't really be published anywhere else.

Here's a couple quotes:
    Among other things, with the absence of money comes a palpable sense of actual danger—budget can make a lot of things possible in a movie, but it can’t give you that, and very often the sense of a monetary safety net softens the impact of the finished product. When you can feel a gigantic crew sweating and fretting and breathing over every inch of a movie, it’s difficult to convince yourself that anything can really go awry, it’s hard to suspend disbelief to the point that you forget that help—the best help that money can buy—is always right around the corner. By contrast, when Jim Van Bebber is hanging off a speeding car at the end of Deadbeat at Dawn, that’s Jim Van Bebber hanging off of a speeding car—something that no insurance agency is going to give a star clearance to do on a professional shoot, something that only happens if you have no insurance agency, no stars, and no sense of professionalism, that most overrated of qualities.
    What I’m ultimately praising in Deadbeat at Dawn—or Bee Thousand, or Night of the Living Dead, or the music of Zapp & Roger, or Blood Feast, for that matter—is their idiosyncrasy, the degree to which they provide relief from a pop culture landscape in which everything does look the same or sound the same or move the same. And I think no small part of that same-iness is, as Romero suggests, a result of centralization, of the fact that American movies come from people who live in one or two cities, who read the same screenwriting guides and have the same ideas about things, and who rarely bother to expend much effort depicting the city that they live in on film, much less bothering themselves with any other place.

I can't stress enough how good this piece is. It's long, digging into a ton of history, but I figure a lot of us have some time right now. Check it out.

https://nickpinkerton.substack.com/people/2289251

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I feel like actually seeing any of the re-animator movies would diminish my appreciation for the music video from one of the sequels and I'm not sure I can allow that.

come on you can't mention that without sharing it with the class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnOUOkcr9c

This discussion has been closed.