As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I think it's great. I know Sakurai said the reason we didn't get one at launch was because they already had the roster chosen when Arms was released. Glad to see we'll get a character from Arms though. I'm hoping for Twintelle but I have a feeling we'll get Ribbon Girl.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    My money's on Ribbon Girl. Spring Man is the obvious face of the franchise, but I sort of doubt that they're going to promote him from Assist Trophy in the same game. Ribbon Girl is the Luigi to Spring Man's Mario, so she's the next most likely candidate.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So, this means Waluigi gets in right? Someone come up with a theory, quick!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    (Disclaimer: I like Arms and think a Smash version of the Arms character will have cool mechanics)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ah yes, my favorite part of smash announcement cycles.

• Options
    Alternative prediction: the ARMS character is "none of the above", actually being the headline character of ARMS 2.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    ARMS is a good choice for a character, both because of pushing the franchise and because their moveset could be really neat in Smash. But the timing is definitely odd. They should have been in the base game! Either way, I'm content. Not exactly a hype announcement, but it's fine.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It would be cool if they could just have all the characters as costumes though. I can’t remember how unique characters were in that.

I’m guessing a long range throw will be a huge part of the play style.

I still pine for a waluigi or some form of playable toad.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The big thing in Arms was the different gloves you could equip for different combo attacks and blocks, but the characters all had unique attributes too. Like the mummy that regenerated while blocking… and I’m sure one of them had a triple-jump.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    * Spring Man has a comeback mechanic when low on health
    * Ribbon Girl has a triple-Jump and fast-fall.
    * Ninjara can vanish when charging up his ARMs
    * Min Min’s left ARM becomes supercharged when she powers up, and she can kick the enemy’s ARM out of the air
    * Master Mummy can regenerate health while blocking
    * Helix can squash into a puddle and stretch to be super tall.
    * Byte is accompanied by the robot dog Barq, who can attack independently and act as a spring-board.
    * Mechanica’s robot has a jet pack allowing for hovering
    * Twintelle causes enemy ARMs to slow down if they come near her while she’s charging up.
    * Kid Cobra has a fast, low jump and a really wide dash.
    * Lola Pop can inflate her pants just like a balloon.

And those are the ones I know about. They’re pretty varied in terms of unique abilities.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    My bet is Spring Man + Ribbon Girl as one character or echoes. Convert the assist trophy into somebody else.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Alternative prediction: the ARMS character is "none of the above", actually being the headline character of ARMS 2.

You know, I was just wondering why Nintendo is making yet another push to try to make ARMS a thing this far out from release. It's a weird move given the lack of ARMS hype, so maybe all this is priming the pump for a sequel.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You know, I was just wondering why Nintendo is making yet another push to try to make ARMS a thing this far out from release. It's a weird move given the lack of ARMS hype, so maybe all this is priming the pump for a sequel.

I can't imagine why they would do that unless it's a totally different genre of game. I think ARMS was just the most egregious first party omission from the roster before now.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »

I can't imagine why they would do that unless it's a totally different genre of game. I think ARMS was just the most egregious first party omission from the roster before now.

True, though I'm also thinking of the free ARMS play coming up. Seems a little more coordinated than just plugging a hole.

• Options
    A sequel could be an opportunity to change up the underlying game, like with Splatoon 2. But I don’t know if it’s a game that would need that.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    ARMS is the most fun I’ve had playing a fighting game in years.

Including Smash.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

I actually saw someone make a good technical case for Twintelle: characters have to be able to pick up items. The ARMS cast all send their hands flying at the enemy... except for her.

(Unless they make the character only use one of their arms while attacking.)

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Plus, I mean, she's the coolest character from that game.
    r3q5jmsbjc21.png

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Dr Coyle has a third arm that could pick up items

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Pretty sure items would be gripped by the big boxing glove, and the battering items would have their own movesets, poissibly with a stretch on the smash attack.

Kinda like picking up an item as a sword user or Little Mac. Link doesn’t use his sword when he’s holding a Home Run Bat.

Enlong on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm just going to say

If they don't put Twintelle in there, I will be surprised.

• Options
    Okay, a third theory: I completely forgot that Spring Man has his own lazy evil clone character in Springtron, which is basically Spring Man but a robot. "When Spring Man is a playable character, the Spring Man Assist Trophy will be Springtron instead!" is absolutely the kind of special-case rule I could see them throwing in there to allow Spring Man to be added in as a playable character.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Pretty sure items would be gripped by the big boxing glove, and the battering items would have their own movesets, poissibly with a stretch on the smash attack.

Kinda like picking up an item as a sword user or Little Mac. Link doesn’t use his sword when he’s holding a Home Run Bat.

Hmmm... I was imagining neutral B letting you change the Arms (on your ARMS characters' arms) to gain different effects, but if they just always had gloves I guess that would work. It would mean that they would always attack with just one of their arms though, keeping their other by their side for item use. (Or have the items flying around with them, which might present a programming challenge itself.)

• Options
    There's also nothing stopping the developers from removing the Spring Man assist or changing it to another ARMS character.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I’m mostly interested in how they go about implementing the main Thing in ARMS, specifically, curving your punches around obstacles and to counter dodges. Some sort of auto-aim or do it manually somehow?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I’m mostly interested in how they go about implementing the main Thing in ARMS, specifically, curving your punches around obstacles and to counter dodges. Some sort of auto-aim or do it manually somehow?

You'd think auto-aim would mess up the risk/reward ratio of a character like this -- he can hit you from far away, but if he misses, he's wide open. I'm picturing bending his punch as it goes out, like Pit's arrows.

(Now watch the designers do something much weirder and more wonderful than we can imagine)

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I could see the neutral B being a full long-range stretchy punch, which allows you to change the curve mid-flight in the style of Pit’s arrows. If you want to get wild with it, they could have a down special be a weapon change, allowing you to alter the properties of that neutral B with different fists, like the boomerang, heavy ball, or dragon head.

Do you think their recovery will just be a super long tether grab? I could see it being dual-purpose as a grab-and-dunk, Byleth or Joker-style, based on the basketball game.

Enlong on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Okay, a third theory: I completely forgot that Spring Man has his own lazy evil clone character in Springtron, which is basically Spring Man but a robot. "When Spring Man is a playable character, the Spring Man Assist Trophy will be Springtron instead!" is absolutely the kind of special-case rule I could see them throwing in there to allow Spring Man to be added in as a playable character.
    Clearly Alfonzo would be the assist trophy in that case.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Clearly Alfonzo would be the assist trophy in that case.

*Armsfonzo

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    There's also nothing stopping the developers from removing the Spring Man assist or changing it to another ARMS character.

They could make Spring Man not show up as an Assist Trophy when someone's playing him (like how Alucard won't show up if the stage has mirrors).

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    wyborn and I were doing random matches and managed to get a sheik mirror

after five minutes passing with both of us at 100% with two stocks left, my switch died, proving that there is indeed a god

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    My prediction: They're gonna go Hero on the ARMS character. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, Min Min, and one color alt for each.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    My prediction: They're gonna go Hero on the ARMS character. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, Min Min, and one color alt for each.

None of those characters behave the same though.

Hell one uses her hair

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Smash very often pulls moves from the game/series in general, and gives them to a single character. So I could see a Hero-ish four-in-one borrowing Spring Man's comeback mechanic, Ribbon Girls' extra jump, and Min Min's kicks.

Twintelle wouldn't work though - having a drastically different skeleton. The fourth would probably be Ninjara - he's popular and has the same build as the other three.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Fuck me, that 4-star Metroid Queen/K. Rool spirit board fight is infuriating. What did you all use to beat it? I burned through a couple rematch items and couldn't find a character+spirit team that I could do it with.

Yes, I know I'm terrible at the game.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    The Smash Bros. rumor mill is flying right now, as Squirtle suddenly disappeared from Nintendo's alphabetical list of Smash amiibo and was replaced with a blank "coming soon" button.

The error was fixed quickly, but not before people started assuming a new Smash character with a name starting with S or T will be revealed. What seems to be more likely is that they're preparing to finally release Amiibo of the first round of Smash DLC -- Terry would easily fit in that slot, after all. And we were promised an Arms Smash reveal for June, so maybe we'll get Amiibo news too.

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Fuck me, that 4-star Metroid Queen/K. Rool spirit board fight is infuriating. What did you all use to beat it? I burned through a couple rematch items and couldn't find a character+spirit team that I could do it with.

Yes, I know I'm terrible at the game.

This is real dumb and maybe not helpful advice, but don't forget those expendable assist items. They're buried somewhere in your character menu and have to be re-applied every time you re-start the fight, but an extra 50% on the enemy at the start of the battle could be all you need to get over the hill.

All of the advice I can find online specific to that fight is to find a spammable projectile that'll put K. Rool into hitstun; giants are easy to hit and if you can stick him in a loop then you're basically fighting him with a handicap applied.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    This has been such a weird time. Announcing the series and not even hinting at the character is an approach that they've not yet done. Still very happy to see what this will be.

Legit wondering who it could be.
    • Spring Man would normally be the obvious pick; he's kind of the "Mario" of ARMS. But he's also an Assist Trophy, and adding him as a fighter in the same game is unprecedented. They could still totally do it, but it would definitely open the gates for people to champion folks like Isaac or Shadow again.
    • Ribbon Girl is an obvious number 2 if they don't go with Spring Man. She's a Mii costume, which is also an unprecedented thing, but it doesn't feel quite as far off as upgrading from an Assist Trophy, in my mind. Tricky thing is that her special abilities in ARMS are all just normal things in Smash (she has an extra jump and a fast fall option)
    • Min Min won that popularity contest, so she could be seen as the fan pick. She's also got neat special abilities (powering up her left ARM and doing kicks in the air).
    • Anyone else, really, could get in if they're considered interesting enough. Helix, Master Mummy, and Twintelle come to mind first.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    C'mon Min Min or Twintelle!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!