As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I think it's a natural fit, but that it is going to be problematic when you consider the ecosystem as a whole:

What happens with the existing switch hardware that doesn't have tensor cores? If the 'default' version of the game runs at a low resolution that needs to be upscaled on what will likely be more powerful hardware, what does the shittier version look like?

Shittier.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Alright, so I'm still playing The Witcher 3. I'm going through the Blood and Wine expansion so I can get this whole thing wrapped and...

And... and I ran into a quest that's basically a long reference to an Asterix cartoon from the '70s? I was not expecting that. Pleasantly surprised, sure, but... well... the moment I heard Geralt needed Permit A38, I knew he was in the kind of trouble no amount of Witcher training could've prepared him for.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- there's few games that consistently blend narrative with quests as well as Witcher 3. That game makes even lowly fetch quests fascinating/hilarious/horrifying.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Alright, so I'm still playing The Witcher 3. I'm going through the Blood and Wine expansion so I can get this whole thing wrapped and...

And... and I ran into a quest that's basically a long reference to an Asterix cartoon from the '70s? I was not expecting that. Pleasantly surprised, sure, but... well... the moment I heard Geralt needed Permit A38, I knew he was in the kind of trouble no amount of Witcher training could've prepared him for.

Yep. As someone who grew up on Asterix, that was probably the most memorable moment in the game for me.

"You need permit A38"
    Me: Why does that ring a bell...?
    "oh, no, it's not on this window, try next floor"
    Me: ...oh. OH.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    I think it's a natural fit, but that it is going to be problematic when you consider the ecosystem as a whole:

What happens with the existing switch hardware that doesn't have tensor cores? If the 'default' version of the game runs at a low resolution that needs to be upscaled on what will likely be more powerful hardware, what does the shittier version look like?

The longer a Switch Pro doesn't appear, the more likely it'll just be a Switch 2. And then the expectation shifts away from "How will they shaft existing Switch owners by splitting the hardware base?" and towards "Are we going to be lucky enough to have backwards compatibility?"

If they still have a gamecard slot and are still using NVIDIA, I think backcompat chances are quite good.

Its that sticking with NVIDIA part I'm less sure of. Nintendo only got an initial deal because Tegras were just lying around. And its not so clear that NVIDIA is developing next-gen tegra graphics for mobile of any kind, at least not without charging Nintendo more than they would likely want to pay. Switch could have itself quite a long life waiting for a reasonable price/performance snapdragon that was enough of a leap to come along.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

The longer a Switch Pro doesn't appear, the more likely it'll just be a Switch 2. And then the expectation shifts away from "How will they shaft existing Switch owners by splitting the hardware base?" and towards "Are we going to be lucky enough to have backwards compatibility?"

If they still have a gamecard slot and are still using NVIDIA, I think backcompat chances are quite good.

Its that sticking with NVIDIA part I'm less sure of. Nintendo only got an initial deal because Tegras were just lying around. And its not so clear that NVIDIA is developing next-gen tegra graphics for mobile of any kind, at least not without charging Nintendo more than they would likely want to pay. Switch could have itself quite a long life waiting for a reasonable price/performance snapdragon that was enough of a leap to come along.

According to previous leaks, they were using the same SoC's that Nvidia had been developing for embedded systems like self driving cars. An initiative which seems to have had a serious loss in demand of late? So Nintendo may be finding themselves once again in the catbird's seat able to take advantage of a surplus of SoCs nobody really wants.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I have 24(?!) friends playing Switch games right now. 23 are playing AC and 1 is on FE. Damn.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

According to previous leaks, they were using the same SoC's that Nvidia had been developing for embedded systems like self driving cars. An initiative which seems to have had a serious loss in demand of late? So Nintendo may be finding themselves once again in the catbird's seat able to take advantage of a surplus of SoCs nobody really wants.

I think that would be in the "switch pro" category because its basically grabbing tensor cores from the car side, which offers nothing for GPU itself.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

I think that would be in the "switch pro" category because its basically grabbing tensor cores from the car side, which offers nothing for GPU itself.

Hard to say what it has to offer on the GPU side. The Volta architecture was only ever rolled out for datacenters, workstations and SoCs, and was succeeded by the Turing architecture for mainstream Geforce cards. But looking at what cards do have Volta, like the Titan V, it scores between a GTX 1080 Ti and a RTX 2070 Super. Or the Quadro GV100 which seems about the same as a GTX 1660 Ti/Super.

Which is not saying that's how the SoC version would perform. I'm merely saying, Volta isn't totally useless for generalized graphics, being wholly dedicated to AI.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm sure this has been addressed before and I apologize. Is there a reason not to add several friends to your online family plan?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been addressed before and I apologize. Is there a reason not to add several friends to your online family plan?

This has been answered before, your apology needs work, and you are a bad person and you should feel bad.

That said, maybe because of $? Dunno if it's ever been discussed.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think there's a limit to how many times you can remove/add people so it might be a bad idea if you need to add others down the line, but I don't actually know. I got the family plan because it was cheap anyways and added two of my buds, I assume you could always cancel and restart with new folks.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    The huge drawback here I'm seeing is that you first actually need friends.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I'd your friend if you updated your avatar to remove the Christmas stuff.

Just sayin'.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I'd your friend if you updated your avatar to remove the Christmas stuff.

Just sayin'.

I FEEL PERSONALLY ATTACKED!!

Hmm, I just went with my own personal account, is there any disadvantage to being a family member, as it were?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    You need to trust the family leader, because they can always take your contribution and kick you. Other than that, no.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Just sayin'.

I like to think it's spreading even a teensy amount of joy at the moment.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I had a family account for my wife and I and my sister- and brother- in law, then that expired and no one else was playing much and I got the free sub from Twitch Prime.

I've still got 6 months left on that, but now my wife and sister-in-law are both playing Animal Crossing and want to visit people so I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. Though to be fair, 6 months of a single sub I got for free is not a big expense to waste.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So... I guess there was a Nintendo Direct today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubRf4zyEvG4

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    XC release date... and some new content?

Edit: Free ARMs play is cool.

And it looks like Bravely Default II isn't set in Luxendarc? And demo out now.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have been trying to find out about the Vampire: The Masquerade Coteries of New York game on the switch and keep running into people talking meh about it but talking at length about Bloodlines 2

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Welp I'm 100% sold on Shinesekai.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It'd would be cool if EA did anything with Burnout other than just re-release Paradise over and over

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Whelp, I will be rebuying Burnout again. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »
    XC release date... and some new content?

There is a disclaimer at the beginning that due to Covid-19 everything is subject to change. So sadly, until we get other confirmation none of the release dates given should be assumed to be true.

Edit: though I guess in the case of XC it does now list May 29th as its release date on the e-shop.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Just saw that Panzer Dragoon Remake released today. Gonna grab it later.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Good Job! looks crazy and fun.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    XC remastered, since I never played it originally, Bravely Default II, and Catherine got my attention. Also, it's nice Arms is getting representation in Smash.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Wow, Xcom collection, Borderlands collection, and Bioshock collection. Nice!

• Options
    Xcom Collection is going to be a perfect fit for the portable Switch.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Good Job! looks crazy and fun.

Agreed, though the timing is a bit depressing.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    The Ring Fit update is very welcome. I do wish one of the options for Ring's voice was "none," though. He's just annoying, but I want to still have Tipp's voice during the cooldowns and if I turn down the voice audio I lose both.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I'm very curious how the borderlands collection will preform. Visually, I mean. It'll definitely be 30fps, no doubts there, which given I've only ever played the series (ton of 1, never actually finished 2, haven't played 3) on PC's that far exceeded the requirements and got all the fps; might be rough to adjust to. Hopefully they worked with some of the dev teams that have now figured out how to do some pretty impressive things with ports on the Switch. And I wonder if/how it'll do multiplayer.

And despite having decided against Animal Crossing, that easter thing made me want to reconsider. FOMO is a bitch, yo.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    The Ring Fit update is very welcome. I do wish one of the options for Ring's voice was "none," though. He's just annoying, but I want to still have Tipp's voice during the cooldowns and if I turn down the voice audio I lose both.

Wish I could get Ring Fit!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Finally, we can always miss 95% chance to hit attacks on the go

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Wait, what?

Did I miss something, or was the Indie World thing more obviously announced than this one?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Wait, what?

Did I miss something, or was the Indie World thing more obviously announced than this one?

Yep, who even knows with Nintendo? Sometimes they announce things, sometimes hey here's a direct, and here's some games that you've never seen and they're out now!

I'm not sure if they even have a plan, or if it's fly by seat.

Though, the rumor mill, as far as that can ever be trusted, was pretty confident that after the indie world direct, there would be a "proper" direct within a week or so, and here we are.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular

Really curious on the performance. Have been wanting to play xcom2 forever, played 1 on Vita before being too bummed out with resolution/load times and just played it on laptop instead.

Don't think the old laptop will handle xcom2, so I'll happily play it on switch if the port is good enough.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    OOOH, interested in finally trying Panzer Dragoon. Heard it was great, oh so many times.

Also Catherine! Yay!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    XCom2 was already ported to mobile wasn't it?