As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Booted up the Torna DLC last night and thus far its really fun! A cool twist on the XC2 combat system that already makes the game more dynamic and engaging- I'm only in hour 2 and have plenty to manage during combat, whereas in every other Xenoblade game I always felt like my party was just about locked into auto-attack only mode for at least the first 15 hours. And the "story excuse" for why its different is quite clever, too. Really looking forward to sinking my teeth in further.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Torna is probably the only time I'll tell people to play the main game before the prequel. The events of Torna will mean so much more when you know where the characters go after the events of before. The ending of Torna kind of broke me knowing how it effects the people in the future.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That remake looks really good! It's super cool that they went above and beyond and aren't doing just a straight remaster. They could get away with it with how handicapped the original was running on the Wii -- even just running the original game at 1080p looks waaaay better than running at 480p on the Wii. It always felt like the ultimate example of a game being hampered by its platform in that regard, but going the extra mile and redoing the models and stuff is amazing.

Xenoblade 1 is easily my favorite JRPG in the last 15 years -- probably #2 all time in my books. It managed to be what I've wanted the last 5 Final Fantasies to be and did it seemingly effortlessly. The characters are great, the story is peak JRPG absurdity, the combat is great for the genre, and it will finally look as good as it should have all along.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Definitive Edition comes out May 29th, epilogue content confirmed, though what it connects to seems pretty obvious from the trailer.

Oh, and hey, Alvis has a rad new necklace.

Might want to check that out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfMySwUibQ

EDIT2spoilersiguess?:
    While I'm wanting a XC3 and it seems like they're aiming to set that up here, I also want this treatment done with XCX and a "fixed" story. Seriously, the art book hints at so much more, and there needed to be at least another chapter or two, I'd be curious if they took the time with a "DE" of XCX and revamped all that. Or, hell, first give us an XCX2, then an XCXDE, and then combine the series into a XC3X3 :rotate:

Because they're all in the same universe and no one can convince me otherwise. Just FYI, in my headcannon, XC/XCX takes place before Xenogears or Xenosaga and explains how "Lost Jerusalem" became lost. What's that you say? The other Xenogames aren't in the same universe as the Xenoblade games, and XCX isn't either?

illfiteu

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Oh, looks like at this moment, Amazon doesn't have a preorder up. Best Buy does though.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Let's be careful with spoilers for people who haven't played games before.

On that note (XC1 ending spoilers)
    Dammit monolith, that retcon doesn't work, the chronology is all wrong... The third core is stated to have vanished separately from the experiment, but Alvis was present at the beginning of the timeline.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Alvis new necklace is very interesting in how it might connect to XC2. Quite looking forward to seeing what is new in this beyond just that though. The epilogue sounds great.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Dammit monolith, that retcon doesn't work, the chronology is all wrong... The third core is stated to have vanished separately from the experiment, but Alvis was present at the beginning of the timeline.

Not sure what is spoilers but I think I edited out the potential?

regarding your spoiler (actual major spoilers)
    It's only stated that Ontos triggered a space-time transition event, there's no reason that contradicts Alvis being in the new world the whole time. It could have just went ahead, knowing was was coming; or maybe we will learn eventually that it did so intentionally in concert with Logos and Pneuma, to move humanity forward. That's speculation, obviously, but I'm just saying there's nothing in the given timeline that is necessarily off by Alvis being confirmed to be Ontos. In fact, I'd argue that there really wasn't any other option for Ontos after the ending of XC2, combined with Alvis telling you he was the computer on the station, there's no other alternative. Giving him a new necklace just puts a bow on it.

My personal theory is that it was a test by the Conduit to determine if humanity could move forward or if it would destroy itself in the transition to being more than just biological. The splinter world that made up XC1 took Klaus's darkest impulses to create a conflict between biological and mechanical and see if it could still be overcome, while the part still left in the "real" world in XC2 still appreciated life in all of its forms and tried to find ways to make it work melding the two. Alvis going on ahead to prepare the world that would be the test of Bionis and Mechonis, fits, to me anyway.

• Options

It's only stated that Ontos triggered a space-time transition event, there's no reason that contradicts Alvis being in the new world the whole time. It could have just went ahead, knowing was was coming; or maybe we will learn eventually that it did so intentionally in concert with Logos and Pneuma, to move humanity forward. That's speculation, obviously, but I'm just saying there's nothing in the given timeline that is necessarily off by Alvis being confirmed to be Ontos. In fact, I'd argue that there really wasn't any other option for Ontos after the ending of XC2, combined with Alvis telling you he was the computer on the station, there's no other alternative. Giving him a new necklace just puts a bow on it.

My personal theory is that it was a test by the Conduit to determine if humanity could move forward or if it would destroy itself in the transition to being more than just biological. The splinter world that made up XC1 took Klaus's darkest impulses to create a conflict between biological and mechanical and see if it could still be overcome, while the part still left in the "real" world in XC2 still appreciated life in all of its forms and tried to find ways to make it work melding the two. Alvis going on ahead to prepare the world that would be the test of Bionis and Mechonis, fits, to me anyway.

(Still big ending spoilers)
    Mainly the part about Earth existing in XC1 is a bit of a spoiler.

The main thing is that everyone keeps jumping to "computer on station" = Ontos. As if there was only one computer in the whole place. I think the necklace change is clearly implying that, and you're right that it could work out. But I don't see any reason it has to be Ontos as opposed to some other computer system achieving sentience.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I know XCX has no connection at all to XC1 or XC2, but I still kind of hope it'll get some kind of cameo in this Definitive Edition. An armour or something, maybe.

• Options

(Still big ending spoilers)
    Mainly the part about Earth existing in XC1 is a bit of a spoiler.

The main thing is that everyone keeps jumping to "computer on station" = Ontos. As if there was only one computer in the whole place. I think the necklace change is clearly implying that, and you're right that it could work out. But I don't see any reason it has to be Ontos as opposed to some other computer system achieving sentience.
    In XC1, sure; but by the end of XC2, it isn't ambiguous anymore. We're told the three parts made up the station computer, and we know that Logos and Pneuma remain and that Ontos peaced out beforehand. Putting that together with what Alvis tells you at the end about his true nature, while it isn't directly stated that he is Ontos, it doesn't leave a lot of alternative explanations, particularly how closely together XC1/2 end up being tied together by that event, and how important the other two components of the Conduit were.

Philosophically it is all the more fascinating, to me. Logos and Pneuma, or Logic and Spirit, make up the test of XC2. Logic, the cold calculation that ultimately nothing has a purpose, and the nature of all things is to end, seeks to hasten the inevitable, while the Spirit resists, fighting against odds and nature itself, to have a right to exist in the face of the inevitable, and maybe change what that inevitable is. The splinter world is guided by Ontos, Ontology, or the nature of being, assumes life will resist the inevitable, so instead seeks to find out what the nature of that existence is at all. Can life accept life, if it seems different and foreign, even wholly alien? And even if it can accept life of different natures, will it seek to control, or co-exist.

All together seeking to find out the true nature of humanity, and to determine if it is worthy to move forward, or if it should fade away for the well being of other life.

XCX can totally fit in here, but it requires a lot of assumptions and guesses, and while it doesn't need to fit at all, I still like to think it does, but that's a much more guess-work-y discussion

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I know XCX has no connection at all to XC1 or XC2, but I still kind of hope it'll get some kind of cameo in this Definitive Edition. An armour or something, maybe.

Optional boss fight vs a Skel.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Lin's Skell fanfic.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

"Strange Mechon" and its just the cover model?

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I'm planning to jump in.

It'll be my first Xeno* game. Trying to find XB2 on sale as well.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I feel like I should play that, with as much time as I put into XC2.

Also, I have to say, XC2 really was one of the more surprisingly enjoyable games I've played of late. That was really nice!
    I like games with a happy ending. Screw your grim angsty stuff, here, have some "happily ever after", dammit.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Holy shit that special edition

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Where can you buy and import games from the UK? I need that UK Xenoblade special edition.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    There's a new info trailer out; but it's only in Japanese.

It doesn't seem to provide any new information, it is just kind of an overview of the gameplay, kind of like they did with XC2 in the Direct before it was released, that a lot of people complained about (it wasn't super exciting, just info). Overall it's mainly the same footage we've seen in the recent release date announcement, with a tiny bit of more stuff from the extra content at the end, but not speaking Japanese it's hard to tell if it's new information (though there is definitely more footage of what happens there, so I guess potential spoiler warning?).

However, the only reason I'm really bringing this up is that if you turn on auto-translate closed captions, it's pretty delightful. Almost none of it anywhere close to what was actually being said, and I'm sure this is something you can do with most youtube videos in other languages, I just like it with something I know so well otherwise. So if you want to find out about the Power of Peaches, maybe give it a go. :lol:

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Praying Xenoblade 3 will go back to character designs and art style more like that but I'm not holding my breath. -_-

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I'm getting it for the new epilogue but I'm not sure I want to go back and play the OG game. Do you think they'll make Affinity/Extra Skill trees any easier? I remember sinking MANY hours in Colony 9 and then being overleveled for quite a chunk of the game.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Praying Xenoblade 3 will go back to character designs and art style more like that but I'm not holding my breath. -_-

Yeah. The first thing I thought of from that trailer was “wow, there are three female characters in that trailer and not only were none of them dressed like strippers on cosplay night, but also not one of them had breasts that were literally bigger than their heads”

• Options

Yeah. The first thing I thought of from that trailer was “wow, there are three female characters in that trailer and not only were none of them dressed like strippers on cosplay night, but also not one of them had breasts that were literally bigger than their heads”

XC2 is the one that really had issues there, though the other two aren't completely innocent (they absolutely have revealing armor options, they're just not default).

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Armor has a whole costume/fashion thing going as well. So uh... that ain't gonna last.

I don't remember if there's a layered armor system. Actually, just now did some googling and it looks like there is. So that's neat. Everyone's default costume is great. But a lot of the armor sets can be way too flashy for their own good.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I like Xenoblade 2, but yeah I still don't understand why they decided to turn the "bad anime tropes" dial up to 11. Going to a 12 year old protagonist and bikini armor everywhere was certainly....a decision.

The obvious answer is to sell more copies in Japan, but it's still pretty lame.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

I like Xenoblade 2, but yeah I still don't understand why they decided to turn the "bad anime tropes" dial up to 11. Going to a 12 year old protagonist and bikini armor everywhere was certainly....a decision.

The obvious answer is to sell more copies in Japan, but it's still pretty lame.
    Sadly, I think it also did in NA aswell.

And they'll take all the wrong lessons from it.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Yeahhhh. I want to believe they realize it's because Xenoblade 2 was an early release on an incredibly popular system, whereas Xenoblade 1 was released very late in the Wii's lifecycle after a years long campaign begging Nintendo to localize it. Plus, I think it's the biggest case of a mismatch between the game and the hardware I've ever seen -- it's incredible to me that the only official way to play the game is at 480p on the Wii or 3DS. It looks sooooooo much better at higher resolutions.

You're right that they could totally just ignore that! The fact that they're releasing XB1 on a 3rd system with a very nice looking remaster gives me a little bit of hope at least. That in and of itself is an admission that the game was crippled by the hardware it was on, and that Monolith and Nintendo value it a lot.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    As I understand it (I am embellishing sometimes, be aware), some significant fraction of the dev team from Monolith Software was brought over to help with the development of Breath of the Wild, across multiple disciplines. As a result, XC2 was created by a significantly more junior team than the first on average. One consequence of this was that they outsourced the character design work to various manga artists, giving them deliberately vague descriptions of how the characters ought to appear-- to the extent that parameters like gender weren't defined in advance. Consequently, left to their own devices, the character designers all independently went to their mental template of a video game character-- and we got a pile of cute female characters as a result. Then the models were transcribed more or less verbatim from the submitted designs, resulting in clear disparities in style across different Blades.

All this to say that XC2 happened because of a level of indiscipline that I suspect wouldn't recur if the whole of Monolith Software were put on the project again, rather than a measured attempt to waifuize the character designs.

Then again, we also know that they're working on a new IP, so who knows who's currently on Xenoblade work, if anyone.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I'm also fairly certain Xenoblade 1 broke numerous laws in Japan by having all of the party members be 18 years or older. It was amazing!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Rex is super mature and responsible, which is funny.

and unfortunately all party members and their unique blades were in-house designs. The mangakas only designed the other ultra rare blades that are not party-member exclusive. Also, the worst design was by the same artist as the most innocent of designes... The bunny lady and Ursula, the beary girl.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    As I understand it (I am embellishing sometimes, be aware), some significant fraction of the dev team from Monolith Software was brought over to help with the development of Breath of the Wild, across multiple disciplines. As a result, XC2 was created by a significantly more junior team than the first on average. One consequence of this was that they outsourced the character design work to various manga artists, giving them deliberately vague descriptions of how the characters ought to appear-- to the extent that parameters like gender weren't defined in advance. Consequently, left to their own devices, the character designers all independently went to their mental template of a video game character-- and we got a pile of cute female characters as a result. Then the models were transcribed more or less verbatim from the submitted designs, resulting in clear disparities in style across different Blades.

All this to say that XC2 happened because of a level of indiscipline that I suspect wouldn't recur if the whole of Monolith Software were put on the project again, rather than a measured attempt to waifuize the character designs.

Then again, we also know that they're working on a new IP, so who knows who's currently on Xenoblade work, if anyone.

Having various famous manga artists do the designs was actually a big selling point in Japan. The bios for the various Blades would include the artists name even.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    A few suggestive costumes aside (which you can now glamour away in the Definitive Edition), XC1 is otherwise a very chaste game in tone, which is more than I can say about XC2.

It was changed in the dub, but there's a bit early on in the japanese version XC2 where Pyra says something along the lines of "I'm going to make some money for us". And Grandpa Dragon's immediate response is "You're not going to go be prostitute, are you?

WHAT THE FUCK GAME!!?!?

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I finally got started with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and it's my first Xenoblade). Well, I mean I started a few weeks ago, but I finally got to where I could actually play a bit this weekend (as opposed to running around town and the most basic tutorials). I know you are supposed to time abilities to match auto-attacks. I seem to be really bad at it. Is there some trick? Am I supposed to be timing to hit when the animation starts? When the attack hits?

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I finally got started with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and it's my first Xenoblade). Well, I mean I started a few weeks ago, but I finally got to where I could actually play a bit this weekend (as opposed to running around town and the most basic tutorials). I know you are supposed to time abilities to match auto-attacks. I seem to be really bad at it. Is there some trick? Am I supposed to be timing to hit when the animation starts? When the attack hits?

It's all muscle memory to me now, but I believe it's when the attack hits. If an attack hits multiple times, it's usually on the last hit.

physi_marc on
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The fancy collector's edition of Xenoblade Chronicles is sold out unless you go the eBay route. Sucky. Tired of the scalpers.

Does this remake have new cutscenes?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The fancy collector's edition of Xenoblade Chronicles is sold out unless you go the eBay route. Sucky. Tired of the scalpers.

Fucking typical.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

It has a whole new playable epilogue chapter. No telling if it has any new scenes during the original, main game portion

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    physi_marc wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »

It's all muscle memory to me now, but I believe it's when the attack hits. If an attack hits multiple times, it's usually on the last hit.

This is correct. However, each character with each weapon has a three attack combo (not 3 hit). Some of these combos are 3 hits, some are not. You can tell the length of the combo by watching where they pause between hits of it. You want to press the button when the last hit of the phase of the auto attack combo connects.

Use Rex's Aegis Sword first attack combo (1 hit) to practice. You'll see a lil circle appear around Rex when you do it right.

I can answer any questions about combat you have.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA