As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Ancient Enemy & GameDev Beatdown out today!

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Woo built the foundation for my new steel factory and got some of the smelters up and running. Time to build the next floors up to get steel pipe production back going again, and encased steel beams. I do have a decent stockpile of beams at least, so that will keep me going with the Mk4 conveyors I just unlocked. Should have jetpack and trains too. I'll have to get rotor/motor production back up and running here soon though, just about out of motors... Just enough to get through some milestones.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I wonder if they track data on how players pick settings.

I'd be interested to see how many players turned the gear level system off.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Assuming you are trapped in your home with unlimited bandwidth and you've already spent all your sex energy is Ghost Recon Breakpoint worth the price of zero dollars and zero cents

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    you've already spent all your sex energy

i kissed my cat on the lips and then needed a lie down does that count

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    If you enjoyed Wildlands it is much the same. I got it for $13 off of Epic and am enjoying it. I don't even really care about the main story, just run around till I find stuff to or a base to sneak into and murder everyone.

• Options
    Cats dont have lips

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Well that's just untrue.
    uuxejb9d1bn7.png

Glal on
  • Options
    God no.....no........

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    make the jellicle choice

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

dunno if I'd call it a good game still, but holy shit it is so much better without the gear system.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I am really looking forward to this, Spintires/Mudrunner so good (original dev making SnowRunner).

SnowRunner - Explore. Gear Up. Achieve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQHT-0WGXKU

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    trailer only mentions the switch but also confirmed for pc

https://youtu.be/-xHLvvXUOjw

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    According to Epic, it will be covering up to 100 percent of development costs, including salaries, QA, localisation and marketing, but developers won't have to give up ownership of their games or creative control in the bargain. As for the profit split, developers will get at least 50 percent after Epic has recouped costs.

I'm not sure what's worse: how bad that deal sounds or that it's likely very good compared to other publishers.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    It's very good, especially for smaller devs. I wonder if Epic published games will sell on Steam.

EDIT: Speaking of EGS, World War Z is currently a freebie.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I don't see how that deal sounds bad at all? You own your ip, all of your costs are covered, and then you get half of the profits after dev costs are paid?

Like, at the end of the day if your game doesn't make a profit, you come out even and Epic is the one eating the costs. That's a huge benefit for a small developer

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    No gear level system might make Breakpoint better, but overall I think it would still be a bad game. I won't know though, I already finished it and i'm not going back Jim.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    GMG sending out VIP codes for 15% Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord to send to your friends.

Game isn't purchasable on GMG yet but feel free to grab my codes.

Bannerlord Codes:
    Loading...?

Sadly their copy function isn't working, hopefully I copied them right.

--And hopefully I didn't repeat any from the Steam thread :confused:

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I wonder if Epic published games will sell on Steam.

yx3a33n7rz9y.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah that honestly seems like a really good publishing deal, epic is taking on all of the risk if it works as advertised there. I imagine what they get out of it is pushing the epic game store with more exclusives that will not be on steam 1 year later.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah I wouldn't begrudge them keeping anything they fully fund on the Epic store.

Makes good sense to me.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am playing The Room VR. It is a The Room game but in VR. If you like those games and have some kind of VR then try it! It seems good so far.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    There's new DLC for Cities Skylines today, "Sunset Harbor".

Which introduced me to the concept of Second Release Date.

The release date of Sunset Harbor was this morning, I bought it this morning, I downloaded it this morning, but I won't actually be able to play it until the mods it breaks are updated. So now I'm waiting...

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    I don't see how that deal sounds bad at all? You own your ip, all of your costs are covered, and then you get half of the profits after dev costs are paid?

Like, at the end of the day if your game doesn't make a profit, you come out even and Epic is the one eating the costs. That's a huge benefit for a small developer

It'll pay for the game, but it looks like, to my layman's eyes, that it makes it a lot harder to make a long-term profit. It's nice if your game doesn't do so great, but if you get a big success Epic is going to siphon off most of the revenue.

Like I said, I don't think it sounds good, but it's likely better than anything else offered elsewhere.

Something I missed from the article earlier.
    Like Epic's strategy with its store, however, there's the question of its sustainability. Epic's been throwing its money around to net exclusive launches and weekly free games to tempt people into installing another platform, and in April last year Sweeney predicted that investments in freebies and exclusives would exceed the store's net profits for the year. And that certainly seems to have been the case. In January, Epic announced that $680 million had been spent on the store, but when you factor in the revenue split, which nets Epic 12 percent, and the cost of the exclusive deals, including more than $10 million for Control, it looks like it took a loss.

So the EGS is operating at a loss right now.
    I'm curious how much longer Epic will keep that up.

• Options
    I am playing The Room VR. It is a The Room game but in VR. If you like those games and have some kind of VR then try it! It seems good so far.

New puzzles though right? It'd be rather silly to get it for VR just to have it be a repeat.

To be fair I've only played the first one twice, loved it both times.

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »

New puzzles though right? It'd be rather silly to get it for VR just to have it be a repeat.

I'm pretty sure it's a brand new game.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

It'll pay for the game, but it looks like, to my layman's eyes, that it makes it a lot harder to make a long-term profit. It's nice if your game doesn't do so great, but if you get a big success Epic is going to siphon off most of the revenue.

Like I said, I don't think it sounds good, but it's likely better than anything else offered elsewhere.

Like Epic's strategy with its store, however, there's the question of its sustainability. Epic's been throwing its money around to net exclusive launches and weekly free games to tempt people into installing another platform, and in April last year Sweeney predicted that investments in freebies and exclusives would exceed the store's net profits for the year. And that certainly seems to have been the case. In January, Epic announced that $680 million had been spent on the store, but when you factor in the revenue split, which nets Epic 12 percent, and the cost of the exclusive deals, including more than $10 million for Control, it looks like it took a loss.

well sure, that's the point. Epic takes the risk that you can even make a profitable game.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

well sure, that's the point. Epic takes the risk that you can even make a profitable game.

I understand the concept, I still think the final numbers sound bad.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I'm not sure what the industry norm is for publisher cut of sales; but that 50% is coupled with a great deal of safety for the developer if they don't score a mega-hit which is like 95% of indie games.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Yeah. It is all turn of the 19th century themed.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    The Council is on mega-sale (and also has the first chapter for free)

it's a good jank telltale style detective game with some rpg elements

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    GMG sending out VIP codes for 15% Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord to send to your friends.

Game isn't purchasable on GMG yet but feel free to grab my codes.

Bannerlord Codes:
    Loading...?

Sadly their copy function isn't working, hopefully I copied them right.

--And hopefully I didn't repeat any from the Steam thread :confused:

thanks dude, I'm really excited for bannerlord!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Free Epic games this week, they added a third as a bonus.
    Tormentor x Punisher: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/tormentor-x-punisher/home
    World War Z: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/world-war-z/home
    Figment: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/figment/home

Next week is Hob and Gone Home.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I see The Long Dark is on sale to raise funds for the WHO covid19 response.

I can't think of a more appropriate game to play while social distancing.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others" sums up how I feel about that Epic deal.

It's more of an indictment of the industry than anything.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    What I wonder about with the Epic deal is where "full creative freedom" will butt heads with them having to pay the bill for development costs. How they intervene with cost control and influencing projects will be big in how well the relationship with devs actually goes. But like, that's not anything new for the production/development setup

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I'm curious what happens when one of their partner's inevitibly goes milkshake duck.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm curious what people think more acceptable terms would be.

This discussion has been closed.