As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I do wish he had panned that camera around just a little further when tossing it into his car so we could see the buffalo.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    People farm bison around here; they are like extraordinarily bulky cattle. The ones in Yellowstone are like three times that size :eek:

edit: ...of the farmed ones, I mean; not the buffalo in the video, obviously

Calica on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    People farm bison around here; they are like extraordinarily bulky cattle. The ones in Yellowstone are like three times that size :eek:

Farmed ones don't live as long as wild ones. I imagine they don't fatten them up to maximum size either because they dwarf even those occasional freak megacattle you see, probably some serious containment problems with a herd of full grown adults.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Farmed ones don't live as long as wild ones. I imagine they don't fatten them up to maximum size either because they dwarf even those occasional freak megacattle you see, probably some serious containment problems with a herd of full grown adults.

I'd imagine they also get significantly tougher than your average farm raised cow as they age. Probably fine for a slow cook method, or ground meat, but for a good steak you don't want a muscle that's been carting a ton of buffalo for miles and miles a day on your plate.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Now I'm picturing some kind of Jurassic Park-esque moats, concrete, and electric fences kind of deal to contain fully grown but captive/domesticated buffalo.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Bad news: herd of buffalo at Yellowstone decide they want to be on the news and head towards the reporter on camera.
    Gone right: reporter moves his ass to a safe distance, proving himself smarter than many tourists who visit Yellowstone.

And then shoots some footage of the bison from said safe distance.

Anybody who laughs at this man for his reaction has clearly never seen a buffalo up close. They are big, powerful, and quite capable of utterly destroying a person entirely by accident.
    The only reason I saw some up close on our vacation to Yellowstone was the herd decided it was their turn to use the road, and any cars in the way were welcome to get out of the way.

I laughed, but only because I've felt exactly what he's feeling.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bad news: herd of buffalo at Yellowstone decide they want to be on the news and head towards the reporter on camera.
    Gone right: reporter moves his ass to a safe distance, proving himself smarter than many tourists who visit Yellowstone.

And then shoots some footage of the bison from said safe distance.

Anybody who laughs at this man for his reaction has clearly never seen a buffalo up close. They are big, powerful, and quite capable of utterly destroying a person entirely by accident.
    The only reason I saw some up close on our vacation to Yellowstone was the herd decided it was their turn to use the road, and any cars in the way were welcome to get out of the way.

Yeah that's not a reaction I'd ever laugh at because that is 100% the correct reaction to a bison heading your way :P

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I laughed because a caption popped in my head while I watched it. "Only Sane Man in a Horror Show."

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2020
    I hung out with some farmed buffalo (deffo smaller than those guys) last summer (video). My best advice is: do not try this at home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxVXaaHzN0k

tynic on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    While camping in a pop-up camper at Yellowstone pre-fire, dad and I were outside early one morning when a buffalo came meandering into our camp.
    The guy across the street jumped in his trailer and hid, but it was so close to us that we just stayed at the table. Buffalo was probably 10 feet away.
    It just stood around and looked at us for a minute before pooping and walking off.

Not sure if it was Glacier or Yellowstone where a moose just sort of rose out of the bush one day by the bathrooms. Videos don't do justice on how BIG they are. Came very close to some brown bears at Glacier Park.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Moose are fucking huge. Like, will fuck you up huge. I've come across them on a trail before and I basically turn around and walk in the opposite direction. I want nothing to do with something that big, that clearly thinks nothing smaller than a polar bear is worth troubling themselves with.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    This is the result of two weeks of no sports:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Moose are fucking huge. Like, will fuck you up huge. I've come across them on a trail before and I basically turn around and walk in the opposite direction. I want nothing to do with something that big, that clearly thinks nothing smaller than a polar bear is worth troubling themselves with.

They also have spindly legs that can be hard to see at night which is why they do so much damage when cars hit them. Spindly legs hit by a fast moving vehicle means the giant animal is dropping onto the car. It's an ugly scene.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They also have spindly legs that can be hard to see at night which is why they do so much damage when cars hit them. Spindly legs hit by a fast moving vehicle means the giant animal is dropping onto the car. It's an ugly scene.

I've heard that if you hit a deer with a car, it will fuck your car up. If you hit a moose with a car, it will kill you. Intuitively makes sense: 1500 pounds crashing through your windshield at 60 mph seems pretty likely to end you. Don't know how true it is.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

I'd imagine they also get significantly tougher than your average farm raised cow as they age. Probably fine for a slow cook method, or ground meat, but for a good steak you don't want a muscle that's been carting a ton of buffalo for miles and miles a day on your plate.

we have local bison farms. They were talking about the one near us on the local public radio. The farmer said you get fences that are twice of what you would get for a cow and even then it is just a suggestion. The electric fence doesn't really do anything.

Mostly they have done like they do in zoos. Large trenches on the perimeter. Because of this bison is unlikely to supplant beef. The price will be higher because they are just harder to farm.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options

I've heard that if you hit a deer with a car, it will fuck your car up. If you hit a moose with a car, it will kill you. Intuitively makes sense: 1500 pounds crashing through your windshield at 60 mph seems pretty likely to end you. Don't know how true it is.

Pretty accurate. Years ago we hit a deer when my friend was driving. I watched the thing hit the car and it slammed its face on the windshield right in front of my face. The windshield did all sorts of spiderwebbing which made me pee a little.

Though then we couldn't get the car to start again to at least get it back home (only like 400 ft from the driveway, always buckle up no matter how short your drive is!). It hit so hard that it triggered a safety switch in the trunk that cuts off the fuel pump in case of a leak.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Basically what I've heard from any of the cops or the like working in moose country up here. The higher centre-of-mass on the moose means you hit the legs and then the body falls past the hood and more towards the windshield.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    If you google moose collision pictures you'll find a lot of horrifying pictures of cars with hoods that are fine but smashed windshields and crushed roofs. The roofs are not really designed to handle an enormous animal basically falling on top of them at high speed.

Since the pictures are terrible and often still have the dead moose on them, I won't inflict them on you. You can look them up if you must. Instead, here's a moose traveling at high speed through deep snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOLF2d09GKE

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of that time in Red Dead Redemption 2 where I got my lasso out and then somehow accidentally shot the moose even though I was aiming my lasso and then a lion came out of nowhere and ate me.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Reminds me of that time in Red Dead Redemption 2 where I got my lasso out and then somehow accidentally shot the moose even though I was aiming my lasso and then a lion came out of nowhere and ate me.

These kind of games make for some surreal emergent gameplay.

In Far Cry 3, there's an early quest to save a girl kidnapped by her boyfriend. I killed him, she thanked me, and was dragged off mid thank you by a komodo dragon. Her parents profusely thanked me and gave me the full reward because their daughter was not killed by her maniac boyfriend, but by a giant toxic terror lizard.

This happened to me my first playthrough and repeated exactly my second, I assumed for years this was SUPPOSED to happen. My whole understanding of the island's culture was based on it.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Have you considered not siding with the lizard people?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Have you considered not siding with the lizard people?

The possibility has never once occurred to me in any game ever.

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    It seems really common to underestimate animals you never have contact with. I went to one of the panda reserves in China, and had a sudden realization that they are 100% bears.

And they eat wood for a living!

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

We say that about moose here in Swedistan, and they're nowhere near the size of buffalo.

Also they destroy you with extreme intent.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

We say that about moose here in Swedistan, and they're nowhere near the size of buffalo.

Also they destroy you with extreme intent.

Do you remember being hunted by humans with spears and dogs?

Moose remembers.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Smart enough to get a degree in astrophysics, still three years old.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Smart enough to get a degree in astrophysics, still three years old.

Far more common than one might think

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Scientists outside their field are worthless. Most are able to absorb enough to THINK they're worthwhile but *not quite* enough to realize they're completely out of their depth.

Physicists are notorious for this. There was one who believed statistical analysis could derive the first language, despite being neither am expert in statistical analysis nor in linguistics.

He calculated a mess of stuff mostly consisting of fragments of old English/old high German/old church slavonic and was shocked when people suggested it showed a serious racial bias in his data set weighting.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    There was that thing that made the rounds on the internet recently about how a mathematician was getting pissed off at traffic engineers for "doing it wrong" because "the easy solution to traffic is to get everyone on a single network".

Which is about as mathematician as you can get. "It should be easy to build this bridge, all you need to do is set this lever to have a mass of zero!"

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Scientists outside their field are worthless. Most are able to absorb enough to THINK they're worthwhile but *not quite* enough to realize they're completely out of their depth.

Physicists are notorious for this. There was one who believed statistical analysis could derive the first language, despite being neither am expert in statistical analysis nor in linguistics.

He calculated a mess of stuff mostly consisting of fragments of old English/old high German/old church slavonic and was shocked when people suggested it showed a serious racial bias in his data set weighting.

I was at a molecular biology speech given by a PhD who had spent a couple decades in the field and run multiple research labs. When discussing a problem of analysis (which is a common issue in molecular biology, because trying to analyze a single component out of hundreds of running interactions will break the pathway you want to study), a physicist LOUDLY and REPEATEDLY interrupted saying he could certainly perfect a way to do that kind of analysis because he was a physicist, not merely a molecular biologist.

I'd never seen a professional being so flagrantly an asshole to another professional in a situation like that. And the asshole definitely did not not solve the issue because, big surprise, he knew fuck-all about what he was talking about.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a spherical cow.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a spherical cow.

Don't croquette-shame

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Today in How Not To Do It:
    Don't put marbles magnets in your nose!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNCRcozGZNU

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'd imagine that part of the issue with physicists is that many of the problems that they deal with are so inherently complex that they can only be practically handled in a statistical manner, leading them to tend to forget that statistics are nothing more than approximations of what's actually happening in reality.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I'd imagine that part of the issue with physicists is that many of the problems that they deal with are so inherently complex that they can only be practically handled in a statistical manner, leading them to tend to forget that statistics are nothing more than approximations of what's actually happening in reality.

purity.png

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    A biologist thinks she's a chemist. A chemist thinks she's a physicist. A physicist thinks she's God. And God thinks she's a mathematician.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    VishNub wrote: »
    purity.png

Get back to the other end of the line, applied philosopher.

jothki on
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    purity.png

[whispers]Mathematics isn't a science, so you might as well have art on there to the right of mathematics[/whispers]

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Special K wrote: »
    purity.png

[whispers]Mathematics isn't a science, so you might as well have art on there to the right of mathematics[/whispers]

How dare you disparage Gauss' Queen of the Sciences?!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.