As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I’m more worried about mass desertions from soldiers wanting to take refuge in a safer country.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    I’m more worried about mass desertions from soldiers wanting to take refuge in a safer country.

The US has a volunteer army. I highly doubt there are a large number of people who volunteered for military service looking to desert.

sig.gif
    Didn’t said I was worried.

Cross-posting this from the coronavirus update thread.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed during a morning press conference that Trump wants to station soldiers near the Canada-US border.
    American government officials inside Donald Trump’s White House are actively discussing putting troops near the Canadian borders in light of U.S. border security concerns around the coronavirus pandemic, sources tell Global News.

Few people cross from Canada into the United States at an unofficial point each year but the goal of the policy would be to help border guards detect irregular crossers, the sources said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6735064/coronavirus-militarizing-canada-us-border/

Global News is a major Canadian news outlet.

Would these soldiers also stop the tens of thousands of Americans illegally crossing into Canada and force them to stay in their plague-infested country? If so, I fully support this move.

sig.gif
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Yes Trump use your paranoia to protect us from you. Trump has this weird fixation on mass migration to the US during this pandemic.

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Cross-posting this from the coronavirus update thread.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed during a morning press conference that Trump wants to station soldiers near the Canada-US border.
    American government officials inside Donald Trump’s White House are actively discussing putting troops near the Canadian borders in light of U.S. border security concerns around the coronavirus pandemic, sources tell Global News.

Few people cross from Canada into the United States at an unofficial point each year but the goal of the policy would be to help border guards detect irregular crossers, the sources said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6735064/coronavirus-militarizing-canada-us-border/

Global News is a major Canadian news outlet.

Would these soldiers also stop the tens of thousands of Americans illegally crossing into Canada and force them to stay in their plague-infested country? If so, I fully support this move.

I was worried Trump would insist on reopening the border way too soon. He's been way too eager to go back to bussiness as usual. Looks like my worries were unfounded!

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    Yes Trump use your paranoia to protect us from you. Trump has this weird fixation on mass migration to the US during this pandemic.

It's not weird. He's looking to create the perception that the US is still a beacon of light in the world, and thus that people from all over will rush to his country in a period of turmoil.

Because he is doing such a good job with this pandemic, you see.

"Well why did he have to post soldiers at our northern border if he's doing such a bad job?" his voters will say when confronted with evidence that he is badly botching this by refusing vaccines and telling everyone that everything is fine.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    He wants to be seen as a wartime president who was willing to throw troops and tanks and whatever around to protect the USA.

steam_sig.png
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The Canadian Government is very much not a fan of Trump's idea to militarize the border:

Canada 'strongly opposed' to U.S. stationing troops near shared border
    https://cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-trump-border-coronavirus-1.5510853
    The Canadian government says it's "strongly opposed" to the idea of sending American troops to the border to intercept illegal migrants as part of that country's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

"This is an entirely unnecessary step, which we would view as damaging to our relationship," said Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland

"We understand the concerns about the coronavirus. We share those concerns, very much," she said.

"What we have said is, 'We really do not believe at all that there would be a public health justification for you to take this action. Of course, it's up to you to decide for yourselves.' And we've said we really don't think this is the right way to treat a trusted friend and military ally."

*going to crosspost into a corona thread

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I would be more worried about once the US places soldiers there, they don’t go home after the crisis is over, and then the Kleptocracy in the USA starts eyeballing Canada’s resources

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    I would be more worried about once the US places soldiers there, they don’t go home after the crisis is over, and then the Kleptocracy in the USA starts eyeballing Canada’s resources

According to the article, they're not planning on placing soldiers in Canada, only within 30km of the border on the US side.

sig.gif

According to the article, they're not planning on placing soldiers in Canada, only within 30km of the border on the US side.

Same difference, with how mobile armies are in the modern age, and one of the biggest indicators throughout history of an attack is one side unilaterally massing troops on the border

steam_sig.png
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Putin has been telling him about his exploits in the Ukraine.

steam_sig.png
    I’m all for being afraid of the rise of fascism in the US, and its implications for our security, but this is not it.
    If anything, dispersing troops like that make it harder for the US to invade. Especially with infantry. They don’t need to reposition anything to be ready to invade, they already have bases near highways, railroads and seaways that lead straight to our industrial base and population centres.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    There is no universe in which the United States can currently invade Canada without immediately falling into a civil war of its own.

liEt3nH.png
    There is no universe in which the United States can currently invade Canada without immediately falling into a civil war of its own.

I wouldn't wager against the universe where a reality-tv host catering to the kkk and neo-nazi far-right groups took power with Russia's help, built concentration camps on US soil, and now advocates killing American citizens for money, without starting a civil war.

sig.gif
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

I wouldn't wager against the universe where a reality-tv host catering to the kkk and neo-nazi far-right groups took power with Russia's help, built concentration camps on US soil, and now advocates killing American citizens for money, without starting a civil war.

Richy is right on here. We are beyond the pale here .

PSN: Canadian_llama
    He couldn't even get a war on Iran while Bolton was in power, he is not getting a war on fucking Canada.

liEt3nH.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    He's also all about show and bravado. It's one thing in his entirely racist mind to go after "the brown guys in the bad place." It's another thing to claim that of Canadians and Canada.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    A big factor is that he is legitimately too stupid to approach a problem with anything other than money or violence.

He couldn't even get a war on Iran while Bolton was in power, he is not getting a war on fucking Canada.

It won’t be in a single administration or maybe even in a generation, but having a former hegemonic super power massing troops on your border is going to be bad news come climate and resource related emergencies.

steam_sig.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

It won’t be in a single administration or maybe even in a generation, but having a former hegemonic super power massing troops on your border is going to be bad news come climate and resource related emergencies.

If the US had a will to invade, there would be little we could do about it.

But I think they're in the middle of a collapse, so who knows what the future will bring.

Hell, to be fair, Canada is teetering. Everything might be different in a year's time.

No Doomsaying

liEt3nH.png
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    At this point do we know how many troops they plan to post on the border? If they're just adding a small number of troops to aid border services in shoring up their border, then I don't think there's too much cause for alarm. On the other hand, if they're moving troops in appreciable numbers, then we may want to keep an eye on things, and maybe move a few assets of our own to "assist" border security on our side.

Nova_C wrote: »

If the US had a will to invade, there would be little we could do about it.

But I think they're in the middle of a collapse, so who knows what the future will bring.

Hell, to be fair, Canada is teetering. Everything might be different in a year's time.

So, what you are saying is that, if we all are really lucky, the Queen of North-North America will govern as directed by the advice of whomever has the confidence of the House of Common, Mackenzie King, Laurier, Kings' dogs, and FDR. Maybe Pearson and PET, if they are available.
    This would mostly involve universal healthcare, and corgis for all.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Worrying about the Americans invading seems weird when there's so many other things that are actually immediately plausible and bad to worry about

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile,

BREAKING NEWS: Safe supply of drugs for DTES residents given green light by Canadian government, says Vancouver

:so_raven:
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Worrying about the US trying to wave their proverbial penis around because their leader would absolutely lean on their closest ally if he could personally make 20 bucks is fair though. I have no idea what Trump is getting at here, but it almost surely won’t benefit that many people

They're obsessed with border control and the narrative about "dirty foreigners" coming into their country this isn't complicated.

liEt3nH.png
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Gas 65 cents, a parking spot every morning and traffic is always light. What were the downs....oh, the deaths right.... Drat.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    A big factor is that he is legitimately too stupid to approach a problem with anything other than money or violence.

Like, this is the guy who, last week, tried to buy German scientists and the vaccine they were working on

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I would prefer a more defeatable enemy than the US, some sort of crab man invasion maybe, like they're scary but like no thermobaric drone missiles

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Gas 65 cents, a parking spot every morning and traffic is always light. What were the downs....oh, the deaths right.... Drat.

But my morning commute is a few seconds so...

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    They're obsessed with border control and the narrative about "dirty foreigners" coming into their country this isn't complicated.

That and the US government is both unwilling and unable to accept the possibility that it's doing anything wrong; the increase in cases has to be foreigners, opposition governments at the state level, or both. In the last month Trump's scapegoated, in order, China, Mexico and the European Union as the singular reason people in the US are getting sick. He's taking aim at us this time simply because the previous attempts didn't stick and we're next on the list.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Wait, the american soldiers aren't there to keep those dirty foreigners in their shitty no healthcare squalor? I thought they were there to prevent them from mooching our healthcare?

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Wait, the american soldiers aren't there to keep those dirty foreigners in their shitty no healthcare squalor? I thought they were there to prevent them from mooching our healthcare?

The official line is that we're the current big source of American cases and not the other way around.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

It is 100% an insane belief that everywhere else is a plagued hellscape and foreigners are dirty, and the "Chinese virus" is a threat because foreigners can bring it in, which is the biggest vector.

It's not particularly realistic, but it's what.. he believes, surely. He's doing this because he's convinced that foreigners are gonna bring the disease in (..more), and the US is handling it perfectly.

Joke's on you, your (well, BC's) dumb government has decided to give temporary healthcare coverage to new residents who can't get to an ICBC office to prove that they're real and have the correct documents :P

Turns out the best way to avoid having to buy private insurance is to have a global pandemic going on when you transfer residency. I.. wouldn't recommend it on the whole, though.

• Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    This clip implies that the reason for this is "illegal trade".

Aaron Rupar is a journalist for Vox.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

It is 100% an insane belief that everywhere else is a plagued hellscape and foreigners are dirty, and the "Chinese virus" is a threat because foreigners can bring it in, which is the biggest vector.

It's not particularly realistic, but it's what.. he believes, surely. He's doing this because he's convinced that foreigners are gonna bring the disease in (..more), and the US is handling it perfectly.

Joke's on you, your (well, BC's) dumb government has decided to give temporary healthcare coverage to new residents who can't get to an ICBC office to prove that they're real and have the correct documents :P

Turns out the best way to avoid having to buy private insurance is to have a global pandemic going on when you transfer residency. I.. wouldn't recommend it on the whole, though.

If Ontario felt a pressing urge to do that, and save my spouse three months of private insurance, that would be just lovely. Going to have a look at the details.

In general border/travel news, Air Transat will be (temporarily) ceasing operations April 1st - the Mrs got a flight out just in time. Today, actually!

And Amtrak just emailed to say they’re cancelling our later cross-border train. In May. So I guess they don’t expect this to die down.

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    This clip implies that the reason for this is "illegal trade".

Aaron Rupar is a journalist for Vox.

As an American, sadly.., and honestly in my mind,

If he pulls that shit, I hope Canada punches us in the nose again, aka burn down our White House Again!

Goddammit Canada, Sorry, fucking Sorry!!