As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP AND TEAR ETERNALLY

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Not sure how anyone beats them on ultraviolence or higher though. Feels like there’s a bit too much randomness and unpredictability about them to do anything like a one-life run on those difficulties

Lock on rockets. 6 rockets kills a marauder - like outright frags them.

Lock on wait for the flash, boom. That's 3 rockets to the face. Do it again and no more marauder. They're incredibly fragile compared to any other super heavy (and some heavies!)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I wouldn't have thought the rockets move fast enough to catch him when he flashes

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    He is actually vulnerable during any attack including the shotgun and axe throw. The window is so small that you have to fire almost instantly though or maybe even before he starts the attack. I only even know it works because I am a scrub and occasionally just start shooting hoping to catch him as he starts the flash.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I just realized there are a lot of implications about the fact that marauder shields is in doom eternal

goddammit

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    On Steam last I checked today, 63% of players have finished the campaign. That's amazingly impressive.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Quid wrote: »
    On Steam last I checked today, 63% of players have finished the campaign. That's amazingly impressive.

I think it goes to ID wanting everyone to play the whole thing, so you have stuff like sentinel armour, ability to switch difficulty with no consequences not linked to any achievements

It makes sense cos so many games I play and I struggle with them, and I’m someone who plays games all the time and is decent at them. And I’m like if I’m having trouble with this, there is definitely huge swathes of the player base who is just never going to beat it. And why create an entire campaign of content if only like 10% of your player base will ever see it?

I was thinking this while playing Control, it’s such an awesome campaign with so many amazing sights to see. And yet there’s no way a lot of people didn’t just give up at some of the boss fights

Like it’s different with games where their back of the box pitch is “this is hard” like dark souls. But with so many other games they’re just prohibitively difficult and I’m always thinking to myself, do the developers not want people to see the product they made?

Having said that even on easiest difficulty doom eternal would have some tough parts for many people, so it’s pretty impressive it has such a high completion rate

Prohass on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I can't believe they found a way to make the Super Shotgun even more fun to use, but grappling towards a fool with the slow motion rune active is just *chef kiss*

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    I can't believe they found a way to make the Super Shotgun even more fun to use, but grappling towards a fool with the slow motion rune active is just *chef kiss*

The ability to use it to swing around things is also awesome, there’s just enough control to feel like doom guy Spider-Man and like swing over pinkies or around projectiles

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought the rockets move fast enough to catch him when he flashes

They do! The trick is the first rocket staggers him, abs then the next two impact. Just release the moment you see the flash.

It can get a little hairy to do if there's fodder around or his dog pulls a GET DOWN MR PRESIDENT (had a gargoyle save a mancubus like that, jerk) but it's the best method I've found.
    With good timing you should be able to bounce a grenade behind him and then catch him with the rockets while that staggers him as well

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    just beat this on ultraviolence

fuck this game rules

The mastery is the cherry on top.

Is that a heavy? Fuck it I don't care, that guy's got my armor.

*k-chink, ticktickticktickticktick BLAM*

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Beat the game this morning on Ultraviolence

I usually just go Hurt Me Plenty on DOOM and Wolfenstein games but this just felt so right

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am still stuck on level 3, goddamn

I should probably turn down the difficulty but I keep coming SO damn close to beating the encounter I’m stuck at

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

The ability to use it to swing around things is also awesome, there’s just enough control to feel like doom guy Spider-Man and like swing over pinkies or around projectiles

yeah, my strategy for Slayer Gate #3 was
    Meathook a Tyrant, hold right-click for slow-mo, and zip around the side of them, with a direct point-blank shot and flamethrower, I'd be close enough for big damage and then out of harm's way before they could even swing at me
    It owned

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    that final slayer gate wasn't too bad.

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I just finished the ARC compound mission, and I have a LOT of new thoughts about this game
    I almost feel like this was, at one point, going to be the start of the game--storming the facility to take back Satan

It re-tutorializes you on all the enemies silently, but effectively, and is a way more coherent opener than the hunt for the two Hell Priests

What it feels like in action is an adrenaline shot to the heart that made me want to keep going as hard as possible, having just gotten to the point where things were feeling stale or overwhelming in turns

It's a really weird sensation. It feels like the game tricked me, but in...a good way. A really good way.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The ARC compound level has one of the funniest moments in the game, and I've yet to hear anyone else mention it
    You walk up to an elevator and press the "down" button

Then the floor immediately collapses out from under you and you fall like 15 floors

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular

They do! The trick is the first rocket staggers him, abs then the next two impact. Just release the moment you see the flash.

It can get a little hairy to do if there's fodder around or his dog pulls a GET DOWN MR PRESIDENT (had a gargoyle save a mancubus like that, jerk) but it's the best method I've found.
    With good timing you should be able to bounce a grenade behind him and then catch him with the rockets while that staggers him as well

I tried this on Ultraviolence a bit ago and there's either a difference in how he shields between difficulties or the timing is more strict than I thought.

While progressing through one of the later stages I bunny hopped a bit to get slow-mo and then fired the lock-on missiles right after the Marauder's eyes flashed green. He would, without fail, cancel the animation into his shield on each of the the three attempts I tested. It's possible that the rockets need to be fired later (maybe during his forward movement on the axe swing?) but I wasn't playing with infinite ammo on so I didn't get a chance to test further.

My best strat is still Arbalest to stagger then quick swap to Super Shotgun. He goes down pretty quickly to that combo.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    The ARC compound level has one of the funniest moments in the game, and I've yet to hear anyone else mention it
    You walk up to an elevator and press the "down" button

Then the floor immediately collapses out from under you and you fall like 15 floors

I did!

...i just mentioned it in the other thread. There's some really good gags in the game.

Also for anyone who's interested, here's the first 3 levels in my recorded play-through of Doom Eternal. I only die once total, despite being on Ultra Violence so i feel pretty awesome about this!

Enjoy~

Might stream some more tonight? Depends on how i'm feeling.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I love the UAC blood donation drive message
    “Give your blood... give ALL of your blood”

04xkcuvaav19.png
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I love the UAC blood donation drive message
    “Give your blood... give ALL of your blood”

Please proceed in a calm and orderly fashion to the harvesting zones!

Fig-D wrote: »

I tried this on Ultraviolence a bit ago and there's either a difference in how he shields between difficulties or the timing is more strict than I thought.

While progressing through one of the later stages I bunny hopped a bit to get slow-mo and then fired the lock-on missiles right after the Marauder's eyes flashed green. He would, without fail, cancel the animation into his shield on each of the the three attempts I tested. It's possible that the rockets need to be fired later (maybe during his forward movement on the axe swing?) but I wasn't playing with infinite ammo on so I didn't get a chance to test further.

My best strat is still Arbalest to stagger then quick swap to Super Shotgun. He goes down pretty quickly to that combo.

The weirdest thing is i KNOW this worked on ultarviolence, i did it reliably, and now he's doing the exact behavior you described - pulling out his shield and instnatly blocking it, and i am SO CONFUSED

i must have lucked out on the timing or something?

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

The weirdest thing is i KNOW this worked on ultarviolence, i did it reliably, and now he's doing the exact behavior you described - pulling out his shield and instnatly blocking it, and i am SO CONFUSED

I never thought to try anything besides the super shotgun after my dumbfuck self tried shooting him with the plasma rifle. Not the heat burst, just regular ol plasma rounds. Got gibbed real quick, then switched back to the super shotty with it's stagger and never went back.

After work I'm gonna go back through the game with cheats on for giggles and to get the last praetor coin I need to finish unlocking everything, and I'll also clear up some of the secret nests I didn't bother with the first time through. I might even dip into the multiplayer to see what's up

JtgVX0H.png
    edited March 2020
    Darmak wrote: »

I never thought to try anything besides the super shotgun after my dumbfuck self tried shooting him with the plasma rifle. Not the heat burst, just regular ol plasma rounds. Got gibbed real quick, then switched back to the super shotty with it's stagger and never went back.

After work I'm gonna go back through the game with cheats on for giggles and to get the last praetor coin I need to finish unlocking everything, and I'll also clear up some of the secret nests I didn't bother with the first time through. I might even dip into the multiplayer to see what's up

There’s a secret encounter nest with a damn marauder, it took me so long to beat. I recorded a clip of it for posterity if anyone needs help, but my strategy was pretty straightforward and it was just dumb luck. I turned the difficulty down but the frustrating thing about the encounter is just sometimes he refused to green eye attack. On this run I got lucky and his AI just told him to do the axe swing multiple times. But there was so many attempts where he just refused to attack and drop his shield before the time ran out

https://gameclips.io/Prohass/41ce975c-077a-4e8e-a7e3-1a9d6c8c3db1

Prohass on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    So what is the standout track from this game? Like bfg division from the previous one.

I am leaning towards the slayer gate music.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    So what is the standout track from this game? Like bfg division from the previous one.

I haven't really paid attention because the game is so intense (I tend to tune out music when doing stuff), but I just arrived at work so I'll probably give the soundtrack a listen on YouTube and see what strikes my fancy.

JtgVX0H.png

For me it's the
    Gladiator

But I need to go a full listen-through before I call it for sure

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I won't really know the answer to that until I can sit and listen to the actual soundtrack but I do know there's a couple candidates

the fight music used in the last level before you get to the boss is VERY good

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Akx48dLnccQ

I listened to this a lot leading up to the release date. I heard it kick in during the 6th mission this morning. It's very good.

• WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular

What worked for me was hitting him with an exploding Combat Shotgun round during the green flash window and when he staggers just lay into him with the same rounds. If you have the mastery you can do 5 rounds without it needing to recharge. They're also good to throw around and behind him to chip some damage into him.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1

For me it's the
    Gladiator

But I need to go a full listen-through before I call it for sure

I just finished listening to the whole thing

Yeah, that track is still my favorite, though there's some great stuff in there besides

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I beat the game on Ultraviolence, but due to a weird bug I didn't get to carry the UnMaykr with me into the final set of missions.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit pissed about that.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Same, I had an issue although not a bug, where I got the weapon before I quit my last sessions. Loaded up next day and started mission and didn't save anything I did on the ship.

Not even possible to get back to ship once you are in the mission.

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I've also had "mission reset" reset my entire post-game upgrade progress. Also had problems using the plasma channeling beam the entire game too. Every time I'd use it on some elite or something just to test it, it'd crash the game to desktop 3/4th through the channel. There are bugs, but this game is fucking rad.

Vladimer on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Finished my replay of 2016, dang near 100%'d it too... except half the cheevo list is for the dead multiplayer mode. :tell_me_more:

Forgot how much of an abrupt cliffhanger that was.
    Hayden ends up with that Crucible Lightsaber tho! I guess Doomguy gets it back at some point in Eternal, cause it's all over the trailers...

Oh brilliant
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I beat the game on Ultraviolence, but due to a weird bug I didn't get to carry the UnMaykr with me into the final set of missions.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit pissed about that.

I personally didn't like it very much

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Finished my replay of 2016, dang near 100%'d it too... except half the cheevo list is for the dead multiplayer mode. :tell_me_more:

Forgot how much of an abrupt cliffhanger that was.
    Hayden ends up with that Crucible Lightsaber tho! I guess Doomguy gets it back at some point in Eternal, cause it's all over the trailers...
    Look closely at the hilt in the trailers, Doomguy’s is different

I have completed both master levels and strongly recommend them

Hmm, the multiplayer so far is kinda disappointing.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    So I thought VEGA got fried in DOOM 2016.

But he's back in Eternal with no explanation?