As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When you have to stay at home, it's time for [BAD FOOD]

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Oh, right, of course.

Also am I supposed to start with a cold pan when browning meat, or preheat first?

I'm not using oil or anything. It's a non-stick pan.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Start with hot. If you're just browning the meat you want to sear the outside without warming the inside, which happens more easily on an already hot pan. If you start with a cold pan you'll get more heating of the interior.

I'd use some fat even in a non-stick, just for better browning and flavor.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Non-stick surfaces fade with time/washing, and oil help meat brown, so you may want to thing about a little dab, like a teaspoon.
    Preheating is good, but non-sticks, iirc, can give off fumes when heated by themselves (another good reason to add just a little something to the pan as you heat it up).

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Also I don't know what you have available, but you're probably going to get the best browning in a stainless pan with a bit of oil rather than a nonstick, in my experience. That's not a DO IT THIS WAY comment, just, if you have a stainless pan, you may want to consider using that instead!

I mean, I have browned ground beef before, I just forgot a lot of particulars here, but I always use relatively fatty beef - like 75/25 or 80/20 - so would I really need oil? I guess a little can't hurt though.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ground beef doesn't need oil, it's got plenty of fat in it, especially in a non-stick pan

shaved beef is probably, what, sirloin or chuck, so it should have a little oil and you'll want to get the pan at least medium-hot at first

edited March 2020
    Got it! Thanks y'all.

Gonna cook now.

Drez on
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Commander Zoom has it right. The other thing is, while reheating may kill off the bad bacteria in your food, the toxins created by them are not destroyed by reheating, so you can't just throw it in the microwave for a minute or two and be safe.

m!ttens on
    edited March 2020
    So it is done.

Should I throw the remainder in the fridge immediately or do I need to wait a little? Does it matter?

Some site says:
    Loved your piping hot bowl of stew and now going towards the fridge to refrigerate the left over? Stop! You may want to wait for it to cool down to room temperature before putting it in the fridge. In our bid to wrap up all the kitchen work in a jiffy, we often end up keeping foods that are still hot in the fridge. Did you know this can actually be dangerous for you and your family? The purpose of freezing is essentially to prevent the food from losing its nutritive content and to keep it fresh and uncontaminated for a longer period of time. Whether it is freezing, reheating or refrigerating, its best to exercise caution.

Bangalore based nutritionist Dr. Anju Sood says, "If you immediately put hot food or hot liquids in refrigerator you may lose its nutritive values and might just make your Refrigerator work extra hard. It is okay to put mildly hot food in the refrigerator though. You should at least wait for it to come down to room temperature before refrigerating.

So if I wait 30 minutes and then refrigerate, that should be safe?

Drez on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I am extremely dubious about that advice. Per previous notes, it sounds like an excellent way to get food poisoning.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that sounds like bullshit to me, and is definitely directly contrary to what I learned when I got my food worker permit

just put it in the fridge, the only reason you might not do that is if you have some means to cool your food faster

i.e. spreading it on a big aluminum sheet pan can be faster for soups and such

you don't have to sweat this kind of thing, "make the hot thing cold and the cold thing hot" is pretty much all you need to know as a neophyte cook

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The real reason you'd wait to put hot food in the fridge is if you don't want to skim the fat off the top. The longer it takes to solidify, the more fat will rise to the surface of your stew or whatever. Other than that, I don't think there's any difference, and even that doesn't make that big of a difference.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Or if you have an old fridge, adding something hot to it could probably raise the temperature of the whole thing

edited March 2020
    Got it, thanks.

It was amazing btw. I need to use a different bread in my next sandwich, but it depends on what the grocery has available either tonight or in the morning.
    image0.jpg

Drez on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Got it! Thanks y'all.

Gonna cook now.

I like to brown minced (ground) beef slowly, to ensure I don't get any over-cooked bits and to prevent any possible 'clumpiness'. I also buy lean topside mince which is only about 10% fat content because I use mince to make things like spaghetti bolognese or tacos, not burgers. So I brown it in a stainless steel pot with a couple of big chunks of butter (and also a few cloves of mashed garlic, a couple of tablespoons of concentrated beef stock, and salt and pepper).

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Drez wrote: »
    So it is done.

Should I throw the remainder in the fridge immediately or do I need to wait a little? Does it matter?

Some site says:
    Loved your piping hot bowl of stew and now going towards the fridge to refrigerate the left over? Stop! You may want to wait for it to cool down to room temperature before putting it in the fridge. In our bid to wrap up all the kitchen work in a jiffy, we often end up keeping foods that are still hot in the fridge. Did you know this can actually be dangerous for you and your family? The purpose of freezing is essentially to prevent the food from losing its nutritive content and to keep it fresh and uncontaminated for a longer period of time. Whether it is freezing, reheating or refrigerating, its best to exercise caution.

Bangalore based nutritionist Dr. Anju Sood says, "If you immediately put hot food or hot liquids in refrigerator you may lose its nutritive values and might just make your Refrigerator work extra hard. It is okay to put mildly hot food in the refrigerator though. You should at least wait for it to come down to room temperature before refrigerating.

So if I wait 30 minutes and then refrigerate, that should be safe?

That is a very common piece of advice, but it is pretty much entirely outdated! It's one of those things that our parents learned when they were just starting to cook, and then never reexamined it.

During the energy crunch of the 70s, the refrigerator industry developed a mania for "energy efficient" refrigerators, which mostly meant lowering the motor wattage and doing away with de-icing cycles. So if you put hot food in a 70s fridge, it would overload the capacity of the fridge to the point where the interior could grow dangerously warm for long periods of time while the coils struggled to move enough heat to keep the freezer froze. That could end up spoiling not only the delicious leftover Ham and Bananas Hollandaise you just stick in the fridge, but also the rest of the sardine-egg canapes you had left over from the weekend's dinner party.

Any fridge built from the mid-90s onward is almost certainly powerful and energy-efficient enough to keep the interior at a safe temperature while your dish cools.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tell me more about these apes in a can, Jedoc.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    58z7i8fhoxbw.png

I didn't think apes even laid eggs, but the 1970s were a wild and wondrous time for food science.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Oh gods...gelatin...the gelatin

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    41 Quick Food Tricks - You Suck at Cooking (3 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzx7io_C5M

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    58z7i8fhoxbw.png

I didn't think apes even laid eggs, but the 1970s were a wild and wondrous time for food science.

@Lost Salient

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've always let food cool down before putting it in the fridge and I've never had food poisoning from it

One thing I worry about is thermal shock when I bake in my old-school Corning ware; I don't know how likely it is, but I don't want to got from hot oven to cold refrigerator all that face and have it break. Kind of relatedly, I don't want to put a hot pan in the fridge and melt the plastic on the racks.
    Then again, the timing I'm thinking about, I doubt the food would have much of a chance to get in the danger zone before I did feel safe about putting the cookware in the fridge.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    chromdom wrote: »
    One thing I worry about is thermal shock when I bake in my old-school Corning ware; I don't know how likely it is, but I don't want to got from hot oven to cold refrigerator all that face and have it break. Kind of relatedly, I don't want to put a hot pan in the fridge and melt the plastic on the racks.
    Then again, the timing I'm thinking about, I doubt the food would have much of a chance to get in the danger zone before I did feel safe about putting the cookware in the fridge.

You let a pot cool off for 5 minutes off burner and it will probably be cool enough to put in a fridge. Also a trick I've used before for a hot pot I want to fridge is to hold the pot over the sink and hit it with luke warm water on the outside. It'll pull enough heat from the outside of the pot that it can be set on stuff without burning. Usually I just transfer from the pot to a hot foods safe container and put it in the fridge that way.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »

You let a pot cool off for 5 minutes off burner and it will probably be cool enough to put in a fridge.

Yep, done and done! (I only do it with the small dishes, not my big cast iron or anything like that)

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I usually let hot food cool a bit before putting it in the fridge, but only because I don't want the steam condensing into a puddle that the food then sits in for however long. I could leave the lid off at the start, but I don't really want my fridge to smell either.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I don't put food into the fridge until after everyone is done eating, to facilitate people going back for seconds.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    해물파전 - seafood and green onion pancake / korean street food 5:54
    https://youtu.be/cf-I41K5XYM
    서울 망원시장에 가면 먹을수 있는 해물파전 - 할머니 빈대떡
    seafood and green onion pancake 15,000KRW / korean street food

:bigfrown:

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My cinnamon roll dough is rising.

Slowly because it's a touch cool out in my dining area.

Might pop out in the off oven for the next half hour.

yhexxbd7zoc8.jpg

Fresh out the oven. They smell great. Just gotta let them cool a bit and then frost them.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I will leave my glorious sanctuary for that "meaty" goodness.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't think they have it in areas with shelter orders. I went to one on the way home yesterday and their menu was very limited.

Still had shamrock shakes though

My rolls probably could have gotten pulled out a few minutes earlier but they taste really good.

They are a Paula Dean recipe so they use an extraordinary amount of butter.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Man, a local place stopped selling their pick and mix recently. So today they sold off their boxes of candy, at really good prices. They had all kinds of amazing sour winegums.

But, it would have been irresponsible to buy 3 pounds of candy, and any rapid onset diabetes coming my way definitely didn't start today at all.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I almost got subways, but I ate canned soup instead!

Children's rights are human rights.
This discussion has been closed.