As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I’m a contractor and so far every day my employer has practically begged the client to consider us essential and drag us in.

I went in today and sat for 6 hours before just going home. There's nothing to do, but goddamn they own me for 8 hours a day and they want to prove it.

This is in a state with all business that are non essential closed.

This is never gonna end when everyones boss is constantly saying "yeah well you're essential."

I make parts for jet engines, you better believe our 4000 person facility is "essential" and we're still working. It's cool though, facilities removed every other toilet from the restrooms so people don't sit within six feet of each other.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’m a contractor and so far every day my employer has practically begged the client to consider us essential and drag us in.

I went in today and sat for 6 hours before just going home. There's nothing to do, but goddamn they own me for 8 hours a day and they want to prove it.

This is never gonna end when everyones boss is constantly saying "yeah well you're essential."

I make parts for jet engines, you better believe our 4000 person facility is "essential" and we're still working. It's cool though, facilities removed every other toilet from the restrooms so people don't sit within six feet of each other.

Man that’s both awesome and horrible

I want to stretch out, you know...but not at the expense of playing Stall Hunt

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm growing my beard out until I can go back to work, we'll see how luxurious it gets.

A beard right now is basically a net for corona.

:+1:

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

So that just makes you twice as likely to share the same toilet as someone who was infected... great line of thinking there.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Still doing the mobile guy-in-the-van coordinator job today, probably a few more days until I go back to guy-in-the-chair with nothing to do. Little to do, I actually charted out an upgrade to the work van to put cheap solar panels on the roof with an inverter so I don't need to carry extra batteries for everything. It'll never happen but it was that or stare at the floor for three hours once we finished the early AM rush of people who forgot how to turn their shit on.

The only good part of it is seeing how a lot of businesses are changing and I'm seeing a lot of signs of employee rebellion.
    Saw a Domino's with the door propped open and no cars in the lot, FUCK GLEN spray painted on the windows. Didn't stop to look but I've heard of a few cases elsewhere of franchise restaurant employees abandoning their stores because of shitty franchise owners.

Subway I stop at every day was giving free food. Not as a charity thing or any good reason, but because the only guy still showing up for work has worked 90 hours this week and was just told he wouldn't be getting paid overtime and so had no fucks left to give. Got a BMT with bacon double meat double cheese because I'm a monster, left a $5 tip because I don't want him to THINK I'm a monster.

Supermarkets seem stable because they're busy and taking extra steps to distance employees and customers and hiring more people for the work, couple in the area are even giving temporary raises for their stocking crews. Cashiers are unusually short with everyone, probably getting a lot of shit they don't deserve over shit they can't control. How long that stability lasts I don't know, I'm sure everyone is tired and angry and scared.

Every other retail that's open is the opposite and seem to be on the verge of falling apart, though. Workers aren't coming in and people aren't shopping, putting the remainders in a fresh new hell where they have nothing to do but are still overworked.

Never seen anything like this, even in the last two recessions.

Seriously, though, fuck Glen.

The grocery store I hit has actually been pretty chill, at least since the first couple days of rush. They've doubled up on security, are limiting line length, etc. so I suspect that's leading to employees taking less shit than they would otherwise. The two cashiers I've talked to were actually pretty upbeat.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »

So that just makes you twice as likely to share the same toilet as someone who was infected... great line of thinking there.

Wash your hands.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Yeah we're nowhere near finding out who has this, how many people. The numbers aren't real.

Deaths are probably the one thing we're close to having a hold on - not the number of cases or the percentage of cases that hit various severity thresholds (people are dying at home after being turned away from testing and being confirmed posthumously) or even the death rate of cases.

We can make a lot of reasonable assumptions on what the infection rate was doing 1-2 weeks ago based on what death rate is doing now, which is better information than any thing else we're currently collecting.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah we're nowhere near finding out who has this, how many people. The numbers aren't real.

Deaths are probably the one thing we're close to having a hold on - not the number of cases or the percentage of cases that hit various severity thresholds (people are dying at home after being turned away from testing and being confirmed posthumously) or even the death rate of cases.

We can make a lot of reasonable assumptions on what the infection rate was doing 1-2 weeks ago based on what death rate is doing now, which is better information than any thing else we're currently collecting.

This requires accurate reporting of people who have it and people who have died from it

The USA currently does not have accurate reporting of either figure, 32 states are doing nothing

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

I wonder if they managed to fall below the code-required number of toilets in doing so, as I suspect they didn't halve the number of people working when they did this. I checked both Washington and NY, and both require 1 toilet per 100 workers in most manufacturing.

• Options
    kijunshikijunshi Registered User regular
    Oh no...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/26/coronavirus-louisiana-pastor-has-services-1000-defies-state-order/2914259001/

I'm just... I'm just so sad for these people right now. They're literally lambs being led to the slaughter.

Religious coverage during this pandemic has, to put it mildly, not... come off great. I know many churches are doing the responsible thing and shutting down - my family's church included - but they aren't what's getting in the news. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing lower % national religious affiliation at the end of this.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    New numbers for Louisiana are as bad as I figured they would be. The rest of the state figured it was a New Orleans problem and ignored it and now it's a problem everywhere. 20+ deaths reported today with slightly less than half being New Orleans. It is not going to be pretty despite the best efforts of our Governor trying to lock shit down.

Mayor of New Orleans is also saying at our current rate our hospital system will be overwhelmed by April 7th which isn't exactly comforting, but also was nice to hear we have as much time as we do.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

This requires accurate reporting of people who have it and people who have died from it

The USA currently does not have accurate reporting of either figure, 32 states are doing nothing

We don't have accurate reporting or coherency but what the numbers indicate is a sheer minimum. We can extrapolate from there. We will be off. But we can still glean insight from what we have. And what we have are a lot of deaths and a lot more coming.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Yeah, but the fatality count in the US is probably at least order-of-magnitude accurate, for now.

Compared to the case count, which is literally just "a number."

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020

I wonder if they managed to fall below the code-required number of toilets in doing so, as I suspect they didn't halve the number of people working when they did this. I checked both Washington and NY, and both require 1 toilet per 100 workers in most manufacturing.

Yep! Absolutely under minimum number now.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Hillsborough County, FL announced a "safer-at-home" order.

-Non-essential workers asked to stay home
    -Those who can't work from home must stay 6ft away from coworkers and customers
    -Non-essential businesses must be able to maintain the 6ft distance requirement for employees and customers

So, non-essential businesses aren't being forced to close down, just told they have to keep distance.

My employer finally got around to getting our computers set up to WFH so I get to take my computer and phone home tonight. My days off are tomorrow and Saturday, so I officially start WFH on Sunday. I feel for the warehouse employees who have to come in and ship stuff out, but it's a big warehouse and hopefully they'll be safe keeping their distance from one another.

Zomro on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    So this isn't going to stop until either a vaccine is deployed or ~30-50% of the population gets it such that we have sufficient herd immunity, right? So we basically will be needing some form of shelter in place until that point to keep hospitals overwhelmed (I assume that less social distancing becomes required as the immune portion of the population grows but not sure how you write policy to that effect)?

We can likely end full scale shelter in place sometime next month if we can get full scale testing implemented so that quarantine only really needs to be applied to people with the disease.

But...we are still not great at testing

Most of the USA is not doing shelter in place or social distancing, there are like 8 states, out of 50, doing anything at all

How are only 8 states doing "anything at all"? Schools are closed pretty much everywhere based on this list:
    https://thejournal.com/Articles/2020/03/17/List-of-States-Shutting-Down-All-Their-Schools-Grows-to-36.aspx
    Restaurants are closed to dine in in over 20 states (this list is over a week old)
    https://www.today.com/food/which-states-have-closed-restaurants-bars-due-coronavirus-t176039

Many places could certainly be doing more, but to claim that only 8 states are doing anything is unfounded.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Yeah, but the fatality count in the US is probably at least order-of-magnitude accurate, for now.

Compared to the case count, which is literally just "a number."

Probably better than order-of-magnitude. Death reporting regulations aren't limited to the pandemic and the total statistical death rate has not moved much yet.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My company I work for makes the software that caregivers and medical personel use when they do in-home treatment. I can tell you we are slammed right now with adding covid-19 stuff to our application. The work at home has been brutal as there are so many moving pieces. I fell lucky I at least have a job in the healthcare space... Sisters a nurse, so at least that's a bit of security for us

halkun on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Couple of milestones may happen today
    1. The US will pass Italy and China to have the most reported cases worldwide
    2. We may pass 20k new daily cases today
    3. Stocks will likely end higher for the third day in a row

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Daenris wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    So this isn't going to stop until either a vaccine is deployed or ~30-50% of the population gets it such that we have sufficient herd immunity, right? So we basically will be needing some form of shelter in place until that point to keep hospitals overwhelmed (I assume that less social distancing becomes required as the immune portion of the population grows but not sure how you write policy to that effect)?

We can likely end full scale shelter in place sometime next month if we can get full scale testing implemented so that quarantine only really needs to be applied to people with the disease.

But...we are still not great at testing

Most of the USA is not doing shelter in place or social distancing, there are like 8 states, out of 50, doing anything at all

How are only 8 states doing "anything at all"? Schools are closed pretty much everywhere based on this list:
    https://thejournal.com/Articles/2020/03/17/List-of-States-Shutting-Down-All-Their-Schools-Grows-to-36.aspx
    Restaurants are closed to dine in in over 20 states (this list is over a week old)
    https://www.today.com/food/which-states-have-closed-restaurants-bars-due-coronavirus-t176039

Many places could certainly be doing more, but to claim that only 8 states are doing anything is unfounded.

If they close the schools but leave entertainment open they're making the outcome worse. Not to mention all the business claiming they're essential or just outright refusing to entertain the problem.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

Yep! Absolutely under minimum number now.

They might have needed a permit for the work, as well.

The people who would be interested in this would be your local city management, or county if work isn't in a city.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Nothing short of shelter in place will amount to anything, at least that's my belief

How many states are doing that?

Assholes are fighting the partial closure with maximum effort in Pennsylvania

• Options
    I'm very, very tempted to send a snarky email to the person maintaining the "Coronavirus info" page on our main employee website, that mayyyybe it's time to remove the "travel to China or Italy" bit now that the US is the center of the virus worldwide.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'm very, very tempted to send a snarky email to the person maintaining the "Coronavirus info" page on our main employee website, that mayyyybe it's time to remove the "travel to China or Italy" bit now that the US is the center of the virus worldwide.

you should do that except not snarky, because it's the truth!

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I work in a chain pharmacy, though not in the actual pharmacy portion, and live in upstate New York. Unfortunately this is Trump territory and the fucking idiots are still coming out in mass to buy beer, candy, birthday cards, etc. I wish we could just close up our front end and serve customers either on a pick up basis or via the drive through. Especially since we have a cashier and a pharmacist out with bad cold-like symptoms, and my boss was out for a few and has decided to come in anyway since we don't have anyone to cover her without pushing us into overtime so corporate will fight that tooth and nail. And to top it off I'm asthmatic, so that's a fun additional fear to have about the whole situation.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    If you were wondering how Paul got to be tested for the coronavirus despite being asymptomatic, the answer was less being a senator and more knowing Trump.
    Late last month, Mick Mulvaney, who was still the acting White House chief of staff at the time, told a crowd of conservative activists that the media was exaggerating the threat posed by covid-19 because “they think this will bring down the president, that’s what this is all about. . . . It’s not a death sentence, it’s not the same as the Ebola crisis.”

But unbeknown to attendees at the Conservative Political Action Conference, Mulvaney had already received a coronavirus test, at the recommendation of the White House physician. The test, which has not been reported until now, was followed by a second this month after a niece with whom Mulvaney shares an apartment was around members of a Brazilian delegation who later tested positive for the virus.

Mulvaney is one of three President Trump confidants to get a coronavirus test while exhibiting no symptoms of the disease. And on Sunday, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) announced he tested positive despite being asymptomatic, refusing to disclose how he was able to get tested in Washington on March 16.
    Meanwhile, the U.S. Capitol’s Office of Attending Physician has declined multiple test requests from senators and members of Congress because they did not show symptoms, according to people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private medical consultations.

The Office of Attending Physician has applied a stricter criteria for testing than the White House medical office, according to a screen shot of its internal website obtained by The Post.

“At the OAP, individuals considered for testing must exhibit symptoms,” the site states. “They must have no alternative explanation for illness (such as influenza A), and they must have a nexus to risk.”
    For people in direct contact with the president, however, testing has been rapid.

Gaetz, who had no symptoms but learned he might have been exposed to the virus while traveling with Trump aboard Air Force One on May 9, went to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on the advice of the White House doctor that same day. Two days later, he tweeted that he got the rapid test “because I had been in close contact with President Trump over several days. Of course we have a national interest in keeping the President safe.”

Mulvaney received two tests — even though he never showed symptoms. One took place before the president went to India in late February, because he was scheduled to go but felt sick.

He tested negative for the coronavirus but skipped the trip.
    After Mulvaney’s niece showed symptoms after being around Brazilians at Mar-a-Lago, Mulvaney consulted the White House medical office and received a second test.

It is weird that the President is considered so much more important than a legislature that could be paralyzed by the coronavirus.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    More proof this admin is deciding who gets tested. Like among our own f'ing government they are arbitrarily deciding who to test.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ehhhhhh....

If this were a normal presidency, I'd be all for making sure the executive's command and leadership structure was properly tested.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Nothing short of shelter in place will amount to anything, at least that's my belief

How many states are doing that?

Assholes are fighting the partial closure with maximum effort in Pennsylvania

That's a bit over pesimistic. There's not that much difference between what WA is doing now and what they were doing before their order. It'll have more effect, but it's not 0->something.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Some idiot went to a grocery story and intentionally started coughing on food. No clue if she has the virus but they had to throw out $35,000 worth of food when groceries are running low on stock.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ehhhhhh....

If this were a normal presidency, I'd be all for making sure the executive's command and leadership structure was properly tested.

This would be ok if other people were also being tested, but like they are deciding who can get tested, and prioritizing their own people above sick people. Like Mick Mulvaney got tested twice, other people who clearly have it are not getting tested once. This is god damn disgusting.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RickRude wrote: »
    Some idiot went to a grocery story and intentionally started coughing on food. No clue if she has the virus but they had to throw out $35,000 worth of food when groceries are running low on stock.

A dude was just arrested for, I shit you not, terrorism for doing this to a grocery store employee after saying he had covid

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular

In no uncertain terms, what a piece of shit

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    More proof this admin is deciding who gets tested. Like among our own f'ing government they are arbitrarily deciding who to test.

It's not arbitrary.

If you are near to Trump, you can get tested at will. If Trump doesn't like you, you can't.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

It's not arbitrary.

If you are near to Trump, you can get tested at will. If Trump doesn't like you, you can't.

He smirked at Romney going into self quarantine as a precaution after being exposed to Rand Paul.

Also, Mitt's wife has MS so she's at higher risk of death if she catches it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

So do they like get arrested or something?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

A dude was just arrested for, I shit you not, terrorism for doing this to a grocery store employee after saying he had covid

The guy who filmed himself licking a tub of Bluebell ice cream went to jail and had to pay them like $1500. This idiot is going to be turbo-fucked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »

So do they like get arrested or something?

Yes she got arrested and is currently being tested for corona virus.

Edit she's also getting a mental health screening per the article I saw on it.

RickRude on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Politico correspondent:
    The Trump campaign threatened to sue TV stations that are airing a
    @prioritiesUSA ad that "contains the false assertion that President Trump called the coronavirus a hoax”
    The litigious Trump campaign deciding now would be a good time to launch some more lawsuits shows how foolish they are with all this nonsense

Just a follow up to this...

"Since Trump made it clear how terrified he was of Americans learning the truth about how his incompetence has put us all in danger, we decided to expand the buy for this ad into Arizona starting tomorrow in addition to FL, MI, WI, & PA."
    - Patrick McHugh is the Executive Director of PrioritiesUSA, the creator of the ad.

So, that's good news.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ehhhhhh....

Yep. I'm fine with the president, his immediate staff, congress, etc. getting preferential treatment. A smoothly functioning government directly increases everyone's odds of survival. What puts me at "break shit" levels of angry is the two-faced hypocrisy of telling everyone else there's nothing to worry about while you get tested twice. It's a variation of "fuck you, got mine" with people's lives.

This discussion has been closed.