As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Four weeks of lockdown starts tomorrow. Schools and daycares are closed.

And both husband and I are still working because we both have work from home capacity.

It's going to be interesting.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Good luck y'all. D:

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Day one of teaching from home and the boy has woken up with a blocked nose and a cold so he doesn't want to do any of the planned activities or read in his cosy reading nook

So he's watching dinotrucks with headphones stopping for breaks to listen to Harry Potter on audiobook

Good start, I think

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    We're slowly falling further and further behind on a tidy house. Oliver will tolerate limited cleaning, but with one parent working, it's hard to clean, while keeping him happy enough to not start crying too much or get into things he shouldn't.

Also the rain we've been having has suuuucked. Going outside is such an easy way to entertain him.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We're giving our kids access to Messenger Kids because of the goings on in the world. I don't love it but it seems like the best and easiest way to let them talk to their friends at a distance and that's important right now.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Day 1

Only 1 child and 1 mommy meltdown.

So far.

I consider this a victory

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Wife is stealing this, it is stolen.

steam_sig.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Great! I expect to see a video though.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Little King just came down with the chickenpox, because why not. We weren't in quarantine yet, but pretty much are now. He was going to stay with his aunt and uncle for a few days, but I'm mentally preparing for that to be cancelled.

I'm putting on a brave face for my partner and my parents, but I am struggling to stay positive and calm. Due to Covid19 all therapy for my partner has been postponed or reduced to courtesy calls as well. Its not good for her health.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My daughter's first grade teacher (in addition to having daily zooms with her class this week) is driving around to all her students' homes today to wave at everyone from outside. She's got amazing energy.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My daughter's first grade teacher (in addition to having daily zooms with her class this week) is driving around to all her students' homes today to wave at everyone from outside. She's got amazing energy.

It's amazing the work teachers have done to try to keep things going. My wife (middle school special ed) is working so hard to keep in touch with kids, attend online meetings, post content, etc. I feel terrible that I'm sitting over here, working while watching Youtube, practicing ukulele or tending my Animal Crossing, while earning a fair chunk more than her.

My little one is seven today. I feel bad that we had to cancel her party and that we can't really do anything to celebrate beyond having the dinner she wanted (pizza, frozen) and having the dessert she wants (cherry pie, homemade). She's been a real trooper about it but this whole thing stinks.
    jNgriRzl.jpg

833P7yNl.jpg

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    And just like that, the babby is 10 weeks old.

I can’t believe I’ve kept her alive for 10 weeks. I can’t believe it’s only been 10 weeks. I can’t believe it’s already 10 weeks.

Oh god she’s 10 WEEKS OLD. THAT’S DOUBLE DIGITS.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Pfft, just wait until your toddler is actively trying to kill themselves.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Little King just came down with the chickenpox, because why not. We weren't in quarantine yet, but pretty much are now. He was going to stay with his aunt and uncle for a few days, but I'm mentally preparing for that to be cancelled.

I'm putting on a brave face for my partner and my parents, but I am struggling to stay positive and calm. Due to Covid19 all therapy for my partner has been postponed or reduced to courtesy calls as well. Its not good for her health.

I’m sorry. I hope your son has a mild case of chicken pox and feels better ASAP!

edited March 2020
    Janson wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

I’m sorry. I hope your son has a mild case of chicken pox and feels better ASAP!
    Thank you
    So far so good, he has no fever and the bumps hardly itch at all. His aunt and uncle are.excited to have him over.

Aldo on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Just the complete lack of self preservation combined with questionable balance.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

It's amazing the work teachers have done to try to keep things going. My wife (middle school special ed) is working so hard to keep in touch with kids, attend online meetings, post content, etc. I feel terrible that I'm sitting over here, working while watching Youtube, practicing ukulele or tending my Animal Crossing, while earning a fair chunk more than her.

I'm in the same position. My better half is head of Science so she's remotely directing work for 1200 kids and 10 staff members, constantly on video calls for meetings and answering emails / questions from kids. Meanwhile whilst waiting for some code to compile yesterday I caught 15 fish to populate Blather's museum

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited March 2020
    I've been showing my kids Homestar Runner cartoons and they're exactly as delightful as they ever were. My wife wasn't thrilled the first 700 times they ran around yelling Trogdor but she's come around, it's impossible to resist. If it's been a while since you watched Strong Bad, or if you never have, may I suggest starting with one of my favorites:

https://youtu.be/bT4SGdq0ZyU

Edit:
    yes I realize some of the content in Strong Bad hasn't aged super well but it's how kids talk, I'm ok talking through any messy phrases they pick up.

Peen on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular

Yesterday Tiny Wonder climbed up my back and shoulders, wrapped his legs around my neck, and then just fucking let go. He thought it was hilarious

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

This starts from the time they learn to roll over and goes until they move out

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    We just stress bought a Pikler triangle on Etsy for ~$300. No regrets (unless it's faulty). I need something to help get all the wiggles out and I'll be saving money anyway by not going anywhere.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Blake has given me permission to post this here (I will probably remove it in a while)!

10-week old babby:
    AGEwyG2.jpg

She’s just a tiny bundle of weaponised cuteness.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Goodness, that smirk in lower left quadrant. It is disarming.

Whelp, Little Man just beat me twice at Team Sonic Racing with an apparent lack of effort on his part both times while I thought I was showing off, so my career in videogames is over. And it's the first game we're letting Middle Guy play a game *ever*, and you can tell he's giddy at the prospect of being more grown-up. I'm convinced it'll only take a few more races before he fully buys into the concept of "no seriously, hold the accelerator down the whole entire time, not just now and then"

Glad I decided to get this instead of some dour RPG or something similar that probably only I would've enjoyed- first time in a few days it feels like everyone is enjoying themselves and having fun, instead of just working at ignoring what's going on, and we (partner and I) definitely needed it today

Now to have them beat the hell out of each other in Street Fighter V....

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I'm not saying I'm a rock star, or anything, but my notoriously picky 4-year-old said he "liked ... no, double-thumbs-up liked!" the dinner I made tonight.

Homemade chicken wings kinda following this recipe (his were unsauced because he thought it too spicy during pre-meal tasting), celery and carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes cut in half, ranch dressing, and Annie's mac'n'cheese (the fallback in case he decided he didn't like the foregoing).

Makes up for all the times I make, like, steak or burgers or whatever and he decides he doesn't like it even though he TOTALLY ATE IT LAST TIME OMG.

My kid not eating my eight hour painstakingly braised beef short ribs is a favorite memory.

Good morning, Little King, did you sleep well
    -Ja
    What did you dream about?
    -About soap

This fucking pandemic

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've still not managed to get Burpette to understand the concept of dreams

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Trying to teach basic 1st grade geometry to my 1st grader.
    Like, how do I explain how a square is a rectangle, but a rhombus is not. Without using terms like "90 degree angle". I finally found the term " square corners" in her earlier homework.
    Just.. I know this stuff. But explaining it, oof

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Like, how do I explain how a square is a rectangle, but a rhombus is not. Without using terms like "90 degree angle". I finally found the term " square corners" in her earlier homework.

Good luck, I'm still not sure what makes a rhombus not a square.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    wait but a rectangle isn't a square, it's a rectangle?!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Good luck, I'm still not sure what makes a rhombus not a square.

Rhombuses don't have 90 degree angles, squares do.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I've still not managed to get Burpette to understand the concept of dreams

I'm.... not sure if my daughter knows about dreams. Every time we've asked her she just says she dreamed of tigers. So either she is super obsessed with tigers and dreams of them almost daily, or she doesn't really get the question.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    When I was 4/5 I had recurring nightmares about a lion existing in our back yard; it was the same nightmare multiple nights in a row. Perhaps your daughter has recurring dreams too?

Middle Guy claims to have nightmares about twin ghost girls who live in the basement and who he believes are the reason the furnace makes weird noises (our furnace died this year, and before it went it did make pretty bizarre noises). It is possible he's lying, but they come up often enough and he's adamant enough about it that I doubt it

mrpaku wrote: »
    Middle Guy claims to have nightmares about twin ghost girls who live in the basement and who he believes are the reason the furnace makes weird noises (our furnace died this year, and before it went it did make pretty bizarre noises). It is possible he's lying, but they come up often enough and he's adamant enough about it that I doubt it

Probable haunting.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    When I was 4/5 I had recurring nightmares about a lion existing in our back yard; it was the same nightmare multiple nights in a row. Perhaps your daughter has recurring dreams too?

I miss my kid nightmares

I have a recurring one now where I haven’t gone to a single French course for weeks and it’s too late to drop and too late to start going and I need the credit to finish my degree

I did skip a lot of French my last semester but that wasn’t the reason I needed the extra semester;)

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    wait but a rectangle isn't a square, it's a rectangle?!

A square is a special type of rectangle!

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing