As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    AbsoluteZero was warned for this.
    RickRude wrote: »
    Some idiot went to a grocery story and intentionally started coughing on food. No clue if she has the virus but they had to throw out $35,000 worth of food when groceries are running low on stock.

A dude was just arrested for, I shit you not, terrorism for doing this to a grocery store employee after saying he had covid

Last time I was at the grocery store this big fat motherfucker was waddling around doing an exaggerated cough, as loud and obnoxious as he could, right out into the open and especially if anyone was near him or noticed him in any way. He was giddy as a pig in shit about the whole thing too. Some people are just disgusting, ignorant fucking assholes. It's a shame the ones we could do without aren't the ones being culled by this pandemic.

Tube on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Some idiot went to a grocery story and intentionally started coughing on food. No clue if she has the virus but they had to throw out $35,000 worth of food when groceries are running low on stock.

So do they like get arrested or something?

Yes she got arrested and is currently being tested for corona virus.

Edit she's also getting a mental health screening per the article I saw on it.

A search brought this up.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/cops-investigating-disturbing-trend-of-teens-coughing-on-produce/

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

A dude was just arrested for, I shit you not, terrorism for doing this to a grocery store employee after saying he had covid

Last time I was at the grocery store this big fat motherfucker was waddling around doing an exaggerated cough, as loud and obnoxious as he could, right out into the open and especially if anyone was near him or noticed him in any way. He was giddy as a pig in shit about the whole thing too. Some people are just disgusting, ignorant fucking assholes. It's a shame the ones we could do without aren't the ones being culled by this pandemic.

While that person is an asshole extraordinaire I’m not sure what their weight has to do with it

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    So this isn't going to stop until either a vaccine is deployed or ~30-50% of the population gets it such that we have sufficient herd immunity, right? So we basically will be needing some form of shelter in place until that point to keep hospitals overwhelmed (I assume that less social distancing becomes required as the immune portion of the population grows but not sure how you write policy to that effect)?

We can likely end full scale shelter in place sometime next month if we can get full scale testing implemented so that quarantine only really needs to be applied to people with the disease.

But...we are still not great at testing

Also relies on either interstate travel being stopped or everyone getting on the same page vis a vis social distancing

This is one of my big questions right now. What happens when there’s still significant freedom of movement between tightly controlled areas and largely unrestricted areas?

Functionally there will not be. No one is going to vacation in seattle when the hotels wont accept bookings and the only thing to do is go see the pike place market

wbBv3fj.png
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    New Jersey just reported an astonishing number of new cases today, holy fuck

God damnit all :(

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

UK has said that threatening with coughs like this will get you brought up on terrorism charges. People were doing it to emergency services workers. There's been a rash of inexplicable evil alongside this, an ambulance service in Kent had six of it's vehicles tyres slashed.

Teens doing it in shops, part teens being teen arseholes and the KO Boomer virus thing I guess - you've got to come down hard on this kind of thing, but I think I'd picked a different crime to charge people under though, rather than putting the idea of generational bio-terrorism into people's minds.

Tastyfish on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    So this isn't going to stop until either a vaccine is deployed or ~30-50% of the population gets it such that we have sufficient herd immunity, right? So we basically will be needing some form of shelter in place until that point to keep hospitals overwhelmed (I assume that less social distancing becomes required as the immune portion of the population grows but not sure how you write policy to that effect)?

We can likely end full scale shelter in place sometime next month if we can get full scale testing implemented so that quarantine only really needs to be applied to people with the disease.

Also relies on either interstate travel being stopped or everyone getting on the same page vis a vis social distancing

This is one of my big questions right now. What happens when there’s still significant freedom of movement between tightly controlled areas and largely unrestricted areas?

Functionally there will not be. No one is going to vacation in seattle when the hotels wont accept bookings and the only thing to do is go see the pike place market

That's definitely not true. if Austin (Travis county) is on total lockdown and Round Rock (Williamson, significantly more conservative, suburb of Austin) is not, there will be significant and dramatic spread through Austin regardless of lockdown status. Round Rock people will spread it to other small communities (Leander, Tyler, Temple) where it'll spread farther as well...

There will be widespread violation of the lockdown if people can drive to more conservative outlying suburbs to do business rather than in the city limits where they live, and they will definitely do that. They already do that as a matter of course. A fragmented response will not look fragmented - it'll just look more evenly bad.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    If you threaten people with coughs you should definitely get the book thrown at you IMO

We're not fucking about with this. People are dying.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So an idea has presented itself as a Missouri man was shot by the FBI after they found he was looking to bomb a hospital. Scant details, but it's been mentioned he was heavy into anti-government rhetoric and racist propaganda.

That's actually fucking terrifying.

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/FBI-Mo-man-killed-in-confrontation-was-planning-to-bomb-a-hospital-amid-coronavirus-pandemic--569120501.html

jungleroomx on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    My mother in law who's 60+ has been rotated to the front lines of hospital work despite the risk factors, never been the woman's biggest fan, but swear to god if idiots go out and get sick when they can stay home I will be so god damn angry.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

No, dude.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Today on lunch I went to get takeout from the teriyaki joint around the corner to help support them , as I was walking back in through the lobby some older white guy turned and breathed out really heavily at me, then later I was heading from my office to the self-check up front to fix something and another older guy pulled his mask down and started walking at me quickly so I just did an about face and took a detour.

I am not playing around with these jokers. Especially since I wasn't able to get tested when I was sick either.

Edit: also I've now just taken my phone off the hook I've got too much work to do to be dealing with people.

Weaver on
  • MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

That's definitely not true. if Austin (Travis county) is on total lockdown and Round Rock (Williamson, significantly more conservative, suburb of Austin) is not, there will be significant and dramatic spread through Austin regardless of lockdown status. Round Rock people will spread it to other small communities (Leander, Tyler, Temple) where it'll spread farther as well...

There will be widespread violation of the lockdown if people can drive to more conservative outlying suburbs to do business rather than in the city limits where they live, and they will definitely do that. They already do that as a matter of course. A fragmented response will not look fragmented - it'll just look more evenly bad.

Williamson county issued the shelter-in-place order the same day Travis county did. Less to worry about there.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Tastyfish wrote: »

UK has said that threatening with coughs like this will get you brought up on terrorism charges. People were doing it to emergency services workers. There's been a rash of inexplicable evil alongside this, an ambulance service in Kent had six of it's vehicles tyres slashed.

Teens doing it in shops, part teens being teen arseholes and the KO Boomer virus thing I guess - you've got to come down hard on this kind of thing, but I think I'd picked a different crime to charge people under though, rather than putting the idea of generational bio-terrorism into people's minds.

Call it what it is, it's using the threat of someones life to coerce them into something and spreading even more panic.

It's fucking terrorism. Fuck the assholes doing it, let them rot.

This is on the same level as saying that talking about racism is the real reason it exists.

jungleroomx on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    New Jersey just reported an astonishing number of new cases today, holy fuck

God damnit all :(

Almost certainly result of expanded testing, but yeah. Christ. I am so scared for my mom.

This nursing home is 15 minutes from my mother's house

I'm really freaked out. It's everywhere.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So an idea has presented itself as a Missouri man was shot by the FBI after they found he was looking to bomb a hospital. Scant details, but it's been mentioned he was heavy into anti-government rhetoric and racist propaganda.

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/FBI-Mo-man-killed-in-confrontation-was-planning-to-bomb-a-hospital-amid-coronavirus-pandemic--569120501.html

Racist anti government rhetoric who planned on attacking a hospital, well no way to know where he got any dumb ideas he had, clearly sprung up from the ground.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

So unfortunately, I'm sure it's inevitable that there's going to be a mass shooting in a hospital at some point in all this. Because this is America, and all the schools are closed right now so the lunatics won't have anywhere else to shoot up. Well, maybe the grocery stores too I suppose.

StarZapper on
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Politico correspondent:
    The Trump campaign threatened to sue TV stations that are airing a
    @prioritiesUSA ad that "contains the false assertion that President Trump called the coronavirus a hoax”
    The litigious Trump campaign deciding now would be a good time to launch some more lawsuits shows how foolish they are with all this nonsense

Just a follow up to this...

"Since Trump made it clear how terrified he was of Americans learning the truth about how his incompetence has put us all in danger, we decided to expand the buy for this ad into Arizona starting tomorrow in addition to FL, MI, WI, & PA."
    - Patrick McHugh is the Executive Director of PrioritiesUSA, the creator of the ad.

So, that's good news.

Arizona people definitely need to have this shit drilled into their head. I have a coworker that works in Arizona, and they, stupidly, went up to one of the recreational lakes last weekend (Mar 21/22) and said it was packed.

Arizona is similar to Florida in terms of it being a retirement destination (lots of Canadians and folks from Chicago on west that snow-bird to Arizona).

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Megafrost wrote: »

Williamson county issued the shelter-in-place order the same day Travis county did. Less to worry about there.

really glad to hear that. Similar things like Marshall <-> Shreveport or different rules within different parts of TexArkAna are still going to be problematic

edited March 2020

Call it what it is, it's using the threat of someones life to coerce them into something and spreading even more panic.

This is on the same level as saying that talking about racism is the real reason it exists.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the trucks into pedestrians tactics that suddenly spiked after the first one revealed that this was a strategy that was difficult to stop without physical barriers being erected.
    Terrorism charges seem to prime these things to go global rather than others (perhaps due to keywords in translations?).

Tastyfish on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Fucking hell. I was holding out some hope that maybe the virus would keep these sorts of assholes dormant for a bit but guess not

edited March 2020

I'm thinking more along the lines of the trucks into pedestrians tactics that suddenly spiked after the first one revealed that this was a strategy that was difficult to stop without physical barriers being erected.
    Terrorism charges seem to prime these things to go global rather than others.

I think this is kind of useless handwringing.

The efficacy of the act will spur copycats, not the name of the crime given. Dude with a match in his shoe got called a terrorist and I didn't see a spurt of other shoematchers.

jungleroomx on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    So to contrast the awful stories on this page here in the UK we had a thing where everyone went outside at 8pm and applauded our health service.

I believe it follows similar events in Spain and Italy, and while not everyone did anything, from my house I could hear lots of clapping and one guy playing a trombone very badly, whom I assumed was Will Riker.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

While I do understand your perspective, "terrorism" probably should be reserved for specificly larger crimes.

Depending on the criminal code and definition, assault, battery, intent to inflict, and if they're actually infected, something more severe.

It should absolutely be taken seriously, but there's a reason there's stages to the criminal code.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    So to contrast the awful stories on this page here in the UK we had a thing where everyone went outside at 8pm and applauded our health service.

I believe it follows similar events in Spain and Italy, and while not everyone did anything, from my house I could hear lots of clapping and one guy playing a trombone very badly, whom I assumed was Will Riker.

Yeah my whole block clapped out the windows, it was really sweet

edited March 2020

While I do understand your perspective, "terrorism" probably should be reserved for specificly larger crimes.

Depending on the criminal code and definition, assault, battery, intent to inflict, and if they're actually infected, something more severe.

It should absolutely be taken seriously, but there's a reason there's stages to the criminal code.

Spreading a disease to people with this high of a death rate eclipses the shit out of things you just mentioned.

No. People are freaking out. There is legitimate panic. Fuck these people.

jungleroomx on
    edited March 2020

The efficacy of the act will spur copycats, not the name of the crime given. Dude with a match in his shoe got called a terrorist and I didn't see a spurt of other shoematchers.

But in this case the efficacy will be impossible to measure. Arrest the kids for public endangerment or even manslaughter, I'm just leery of linking the two ideas in these kind of cases.

There's scientific papers that have been quashed for a similar reason - whilst how you homebrewed your own SARS without needing any of the usually recognised licenses, is fascinating. A: You really shouldn't have and B: Don't fucking publish a 'how to' guide?!

Tastyfish on
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Megafrost wrote: »

really glad to hear that. Similar things like Marshall <-> Shreveport or different rules within different parts of TexArkAna are still going to be problematic

Louisiana has had a shelter in place order for a bit now. Dunno about the Texas or Arkansas sides, but at least the Louisiana part of it is shutdown in theory.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

This is happening at 7pm every night here in Vancouver, Canada as well

:so_raven:
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Spreading a disease to people with this high of a death rate eclipses the shit out of things you just mentioned.

Being a dipshit isn't the same as blowing up a concert with a nailbomb either, was my point.

Now, if the person KNOWS that they're infected, yeah, you scale that up.

But not having the capacity for nuance is how we end up with shit like the Patriot Act, and people still rotting in Guantanamo despite the Intel Agencies saying that they can be released.

edited March 2020

But in this case the efficacy will be impossible to measure. There's scientific papers that have been quashed for a similar reason - whilst how you homebrewed your own SARS without needing any of the usually recognised licenses, is fascinating. A: You really shouldn't have and B: Don't fucking publish a 'how to' guide?!

The efficacy of causing panic, wasting food, forcing resources to be deverted to areas they would otherwise not be used in because some dipshit wanted to go viral for the luls or cause people to freak out? That's easy to measure. How many people have to get quarantined and tested now because of that single persons act, that may cause a delay in service later for someone who likewise needs it? Pretty easy to measure my dude.

And I think you're underestimating the willingness and insulting the intelligence of every person on this planet if you think nobody realized the consequences of this until someone got charged with a crime. I also think you're downplaying the severity of someone coughing on an entire section of produce with a disease with this kind of death rate.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, as they say.

jungleroomx on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I check the Virginia map of known cases once a day (it's sometimes hard to not check it more often, even though I know the results will be the same if I do) and there is now a confirmed case in a bordering county. I am absolutely astounded that there hasn't been one here yet, because we have a very large university and a smaller university here that both had their spring breaks early in March, though I suppose it is possible that a lot of people just didn't come back to town because classes are now remote only? The response in this area has seemed to be pretty solid so far, restaurants are take-out only, movie theaters are closed and stuff like that, but I refuse to believe that there is literally nobody in the area that doesn't have it.

Also I used to live in Woodbridge, NJ (like 15 years ago) and still know quite a few people that live in various parts of the state, they are all understandably worried. Last week one guy I know saw the neighbor across the street from him being removed from his home on a gurney surrounded by people in full PPE, so he's pretty stressed. This whole thing is an utter shitshow already and it is just getting started.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2020

Being a dipshit isn't the same as blowing up a concert with a nailbomb either, was my point.

Now, if the person KNOWS that they're infected, yeah, you scale that up.

But not having the capacity for nuance is how we end up with shit like the Patriot Act, and people still rotting in Guantanamo despite the Intel Agencies saying that they can be released.

If people do it after testing positive, they go to jail for intentionally trying to cause a panic. Sorry, but you don't need nuance for that.

If people do it and haven't tested positive, they go to jail for intentionally trying to cause a panic.

Intentionally causing a panic can lead to bad things. We've already heard stories of medical professionals being threatened with knives for testing. Sorry but I'm not really sympathetic to trying to whitewash these acts. You bring up the Patriot Act, which is a whole other kettle of fish, but the fact is people are taking advantage of this. Ooh you gave em 1 week probation, sure they learned their lesson.

jungleroomx on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Fucking hell. I was holding out some hope that maybe the virus would keep these sorts of assholes dormant for a bit but guess not

A small but still significant number of people are looking for any opportunity to do something horrific. The first sign that they might have a chance, as law enforcement may have bigger challenges or people are distracted, and they jump into action.

Take solace in the knowledge that they are impatient, have little planning, and misjudge their likelihood of success.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I've never ordered grocery delivery before and now I have to figure out how to do it for my mom at a time when all the services are overloaded. Instacart has no delivery times at all available from any stores in her area.

Uh, shit, well I'm out of ideas. How do I do this??

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I left my apartment for the first time in 5 days to go get groceries and it felt very apocalyptic outside. Police vans with loudspeakers telling people to stay 6 feet away from each other. There's a line outside of every grocery store, with people doing their best to maintain distance.

We tried going to the park a few days ago to get some sun and literally everyone else was out there, too. Picnicking and playing sports and shit.

We've resorted to watching streams of bird feeders because every time we step outside we feel like we're Bruce Willis in 12 Monkeys.

So that's what it feels like to be in NYC right now. I've heard the hospitals are rather terrifying places to be right now, so we're doing our best to not end up there.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I've never ordered grocery delivery before and now I have to figure out how to do it for my mom at a time when all the services are overloaded. Instacart has no delivery times at all available from any stores in her area.

Amazon Fresh had some 2 hour windows open up for the first time in last few weeks here. They seem to have ramped up the # of delivery people. Probably very regional though.

Also worth checking what her local groceries ars doing.

Tumin on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular

We ordered food on Monday for a Friday delivery on instacart. Every other time was taken, shit is wild right now. I'm 50/50 on the order getting cancelled, too.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

Amazon Fresh?

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Try the individual grocery stores websites, costco, or amazon?

:so_raven:
This discussion has been closed.