As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    wait but a rectangle isn't a square, it's a rectangle?!

A square is a special type of rectangle!

I had to look this up cause what!
    So my definition of rectangle was straight up wrong, super interesting.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Day two off lockdown and this morning at 330am, my best friend in another city have birth to her third boy.

She really wanted a girl, but she's a mom of three boys now. I wish I could visit with her, but soon.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Great game to teach geometry to early learners is Dragonbox Elements

It's a lot of fun and teaches all the geometry that's was discussed on the last page.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My brother in law just posted a video of his 18 month old saying her first sentence. Over and over and over “Wash your hand!”

Pandemic babies are going to be an interesting crop.

2 parts adorable, 1 part kinda sad.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Trying to teach basic 1st grade geometry to my 1st grader.
    Like, how do I explain how a square is a rectangle, but a rhombus is not. Without using terms like "90 degree angle". I finally found the term " square corners" in her earlier homework.
    Just.. I know this stuff. But explaining it, oof

Good luck, I'm still not sure what makes a rhombus not a square.

"A rhombus is the sort of square a bitch would draw."

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I've still not managed to get Burpette to understand the concept of dreams

I'm.... not sure if my daughter knows about dreams. Every time we've asked her she just says she dreamed of tigers. So either she is super obsessed with tigers and dreams of them almost daily, or she doesn't really get the question.

Sapling almost always says she dreamed of Mickey and Minnie, which makes sense, since she has a pair of stuffed animals that she sleeps with.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    One good thing to come from Corona is that I can honestly tell my son that we can't go to Disneyworld because it's closed. He's become obsessed with going lately, and me and my husband do not have the time or money, currently. We were planning maybe some time next year, as we planned on being in a better place at that point. I guess we'll see!

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So like everyone, trying ot think of activites to do at home, but got bored so went to the mini-golf course:
    7y13zs0dfeba.jpg

Then took her for some driving lessons since the roads were empty:
    https://media.giphy.com/media/QaSLrTehn4vqZUHfGM/giphy.gif

MichaelLC on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Nending is starting solids (a little early but she's been ultra keen on jamming spoons in her mouth and made a few ambitious attempts on apples and bananas that were in her reach over the past weeks). She's doing well but utterly refuses to acknowledge solids as food

So she'll do a good job on some pureed vegetable or other and then demand a boob. Which means she's back to occasional vomit explosions as her stomach rejects being filled twice in succession

Babies are dumb

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Having a ten month old who insists on walking around the coffee table again and again whilst doing their best to knock everything off is getting very tiring.

SharpyVII on
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Having a ten month old who insists on walking around the coffee table again and again whilst doing their best to knock everything off is getting very tiring.

We finally gave up and put our coffee table in the basement. Pros: the living room looks much bigger, there's more space to play and it's easier to vacuum without it present. Cons: I cannot tell you how many times I've put my drink down on the floor next to me then kicked it over not five minutes later.

Maybe it can come back out next year.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Lorelei is doing a fun thing now where she screams anytime she's not being held by Mrs. Red Robe. It's pretty demoralizing for me, and exhausting for the Mrs.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Bean is starting to lose his fucking mind being cooped up in the house.

We take him out for walks pretty much every day but he's used to going out and doing g stuff every day and just sitting around is driving him crazy and making him misbehave a LOT for attention.

So my daughter might have celiacs. We took her to the doctor right before the city lockdown from covid because she was fatigued and complained of her legs hurting when she walked.
    They did a quick finger poke, and found she had anemia. So they did a larger blood test. Got the result back recently, and there's markers for celiacs.
    So now we get to do telemedicine with a gastroenterologist.. have to make an appointment Monday to see if/ when we can get that appointment. Told not to go gluten free until we talk to them.
    What a time to try to get this figured out. I mean, at least I pushed to get her to the doctor before everything went terribly. But I'm guessing the testing will be (understandably) slow to happen for a full diagnosis.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So my daughter might have celiacs. We took her to the doctor right before the city lockdown from covid because she was fatigued and complained of her legs hurting when she walked.
    They did a quick finger poke, and found she had anemia. So they did a larger blood test. Got the result back recently, and there's markers for celiacs.
    So now we get to do telemedicine with a gastroenterologist.. have to make an appointment Monday to see if/ when we can get that appointment. Told not to go gluten free until we talk to them.
    What a time to try to get this figured out. I mean, at least I pushed to get her to the doctor before everything went terribly. But I'm guessing the testing will be (understandably) slow to happen for a full diagnosis.

For what it's worth, the diagnostic test for that involves an esophogeal gastric duodenal scope (EGD) with biopsies and depending on your kids age that will also involve a general anesthetic.

I'd suggest you just go straight Gluten Free and you'll know in a few days if that's the issue.

Source: I am a nurse anesthetist and my wife and her entire family has celiac disease.

Going GF isn't that bad other than pizza. God I miss real pizza.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

For what it's worth, the diagnostic test for that involves an esophogeal gastric duodenal scope (EGD) with biopsies and depending on your kids age that will also involve a general anesthetic.

I'd suggest you just go straight Gluten Free and you'll know in a few days if that's the issue.

Source: I am a nurse anesthetist and my wife and her entire family has celiac disease.

My wife makes an amazing homemade gluten free pizza crust. We're both celiac and have been gluten free for over 10 years now. If folks want some good recipes I can nab them from her.

The general trick is using various different flours, if I remember right.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

My wife makes an amazing homemade gluten free pizza crust. We're both celiac and have been gluten free for over 10 years now. If folks want some good recipes I can nab them from her.

I'm always curious about pizza dough recipes whether glutenated or not

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Please share them!!!

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Couldn't get him to calm down while mom was in the shower. Tried all my tricks. Finally just gave up and grabbed a controller to help his brother get through a hard part of Lego Batman 3. Within a minute he was out and I was able to play with his brother for about 30 minutes.
    f5z86i6a4jws.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    Videogaming with infant in arms is some clutch parenting in any form.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Slay the Spire and Hearthstone got me through my daughter’s first year

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I got real deep into a blood bowl 2 neverending campaign Ripleys first year

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Dad of War with my dude in a baby carrier was great.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I played almost all of Dragon Age 2 with a four month old sleeping on my chest, it's a good memory.

Final Fantasy XI here.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Presented without comment
    -snip-

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    omg Viv.

I love her so much.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    She’s lucky she’s cute, is all I’ll say on the matter.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    it's really the only way that they survive the first six-eight months.

But she is definitely cute.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    it's really the only way that they survive the first six-eight months.

But she is definitely cute.

I've got an 8 year old that still riding that wave.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Sigh ...

5e5hi6z7vm07.png

:(

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I played through a bunch of Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton games sitting on the floor next to a crib with one hand through the bars resting on baby, because that was the only way he'd sleep, and those were games that supported single-armed play.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My kids are in zoom meetings with their teachers and classmates and it's making me surprisingly emotional. I'm glad they can see everyone and talk to each other, they miss each other and you can tell the teachers miss them.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Little Man's been given every opportunity and assist from school, but this event's really served to show us how bad his self control is- we've had repeated days in a row now where my wife or I will go to check on the work he got done that day, only to find out he pretty much just sat at his desk daydreaming until school let out. Even if you stick him in with my wife while she works from home, or if I sit directly behind him watching his screen while I watch the Littles (which means *no* movies or games, because Little Man *cannot* stop himself from watching screens), you'll still find out that he only watched the science video but somehow skipped the assignment, or that he inexplicably did one page of the social studies work before stopping completely, or that he did the last six pages of math work but not the required part of the assignment, or that he just straight up lied about being done with work to play videogames during naptime. He spent his *entire* Spring Break making up the work he'd avoided from the week before, and then Monday rolls around and he's still trying to manipulate his way out of assignments. And of course when confronted, he starts whimpering and hiding his face before running off to his room sobbing, which we've gone from finding heartbreaking to straight up provoking, because honestly dude we are in the middle of a crisis and neither one of us signed up to take second grade again right now

mrpaku on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    My kids are in zoom meetings with their teachers and classmates and it's making me surprisingly emotional. I'm glad they can see everyone and talk to each other, they miss each other and you can tell the teachers miss them.

Our five-year-old has been connecting with his friends every day on his tablet in Messenger for Kids. It has little games they can play as well, like working together to pass things down a conveyor belt by turning their heads in coordination, etc.

Super emotional about it, even though they're having a blast.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment

Yeah, doctor in today's telemedicine appointment said not to do the diagnostic test. Just switch the diet, and do another blood test in around 6 months. And just to wait until she's older to get a full test done.
    She's not big fan of pizza anyways, so the switch won't be too hard on her. I'll be having fun, though. I'm kind of glad about the gluten free fad, though

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    "William is your room tidy yet?"

"I was doing a big poo so I've only just started"

Important information that I needed to know.

Bad day so far. Youngest refused to sit down for her teacher's morning zoom. Kept trying to sneak juice, so I just hid it. And now she's sitting in her room shouting "no!"

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Middle Guy has now woken me up preemptively 2-3 times a day 9 days in a row so far, and I am starting to get frustrated about it. Also, the wife and I are seriously discussing the pros and cons of just sitting behind Little Man throughout the day with a fucking poking stick over his shoulder to give him a little poke everytime we see him go off task, like some kind of cartoon torturist, *this* is what we are coming to

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Bad day so far. Youngest refused to sit down for her teacher's morning zoom. Kept trying to sneak juice, so I just hid it. And now she's sitting in her room shouting "no!"

Stop buying juice. Your kids don't get a paycheck.

steam_sig.png