As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump at the daily briefing: "Beautiful day. Very good what you're doing...all those empty seats. Never seen it like that...oh boy. How the world has changed...but it's going to end up being better than ever."

Why do I do this to myself.

Good fucking lord are you serious?

The White House press room should be turned back into a pool.

so Rand Paul can swim in it while sick?

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    EPA is suspending environmental regulation because sure what good is a crisis if we can't openly pollute.

Wait what? I know they are comically evil currently, but did they even bother with a justification or just roll it out there and fuck everybody?

Didn't see a justification, just they were doing it. Was a tweet.

I mean, the justification is simple, and I'd honestly buy it from another administration: EPA inspectors move between a bunch of different communities, in short periods of time, and are at high risk for being transmission vectors.

If they had offered that justification that would have been something. I found articles reporting on it and they basically just did it and gave no reason. Also if they were serious about protecting the environment (they aren't), they would have quietly reduced / removed their inspections and accepted that they wouldn't be able to enforce for the time being rather than shouting to the industrial world that it is open season on pollution.

steam_sig.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    seems pretty likely that it's been open season on pollution for the last 3.5 years if you had the ability to, say, host a conference or two at a trump resort

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MosatiMosati Registered User regular
    Tampa area testing centers closing due to lack of tests, we really are knocking this out of the park.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I'm on a 7-day quarantine due to likely exposure and, well, likely COVID-19. I feel perfectly fine, but I have been running a slight fever the last couple days, so I'm probably contagious. There's no testing though, for me or the three people who likely had it and exposed me, so none of us can be sure. Heck, if not for the others getting sick and making me check my temperature, I wouldn't even have known about the fever and I'd probably still be working. I could've been borderline-asymptomatic Typhoid Mary to hundreds of people a day.

Or, maybe I don't have it at all. Maybe none of us have it. We don't know; there's no testing for us because we're not importantrich enough. It could be a particularly obnoxious seasonal rhinovirus that showed up, and I could've been working these past few days. I was supposed to be covering for other people out sick at other locations. I can't work from home but my job is important and needs doing. And after this, if I have no symptoms (the fever might've broken today but I'm going to continue to check since other people report fluctuating symptoms), how do I know I did have it? It sure would be nice to know if I'm immune now so I could do things like buy groceries for other people, or you know, generally not have to live in continuous low-level fear all the time. Maybe this is just an obnoxious rhinovirus and when I go back to work I'll get slapped with the real SARS2.

Sorry for the rant, but this is also my frustrations with the lack of testing, testing that we don't have because of naked stupid corruption at the highest levels of the government. The United States in this Second Gilded Age is rotten to the core, from the top down, and I'm stuck at home with my ignorance and futile anger.

• GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I'm on a 7-day quarantine due to likely exposure and, well, likely COVID-19. I feel perfectly fine, but I have been running a slight fever the last couple days, so I'm probably contagious. There's no testing though, for me or the three people who likely had it and exposed me, so none of us can be sure. Heck, if not for the others getting sick and making me check my temperature, I wouldn't even have known about the fever and I'd probably still be working. I could've been borderline-asymptomatic Typhoid Mary to hundreds of people a day.

Or, maybe I don't have it at all. Maybe none of us have it. We don't know; there's no testing for us because we're not importantrich enough. It could be a particularly obnoxious seasonal rhinovirus that showed up, and I could've been working these past few days. I was supposed to be covering for other people out sick at other locations. I can't work from home but my job is important and needs doing. And after this, if I have no symptoms (the fever might've broken today but I'm going to continue to check since other people report fluctuating symptoms), how do I know I did have it? It sure would be nice to know if I'm immune now so I could do things like buy groceries for other people, or you know, generally not have to live in continuous low-level fear all the time. Maybe this is just an obnoxious rhinovirus and when I go back to work I'll get slapped with the real SARS2.

Sorry for the rant, but this is also my frustrations with the lack of testing, testing that we don't have because of naked stupid corruption at the highest levels of the government. The United States in this Second Gilded Age is rotten to the core, from the top down, and I'm stuck at home with my ignorance and futile anger.

Stay safe Mayabird.

And consume entertainment to distract yourself.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I have been playing a lot of Minecraft. Getting a shiny fishing rod that catches magic books and building a saloon and hotel seemed like a healthier use of limitless inside time than constantly reading the news. Also keeps me from busting into my frozen cache of Thin Mints too soon.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Did a quick grocery run of breakfast and snack foods and drinks since I was low on those (though my dinner situation is still good for two weeks).

Most people at my Harris Teeter in Carrboro still were not giving a rat's ass to maintain distance, and people are still grabbing all the meat and other perishables.

Friggin hell.

Also I just found out my sister's fiance just went from 40 hours to 8, not getting paid his normal wages. And they still plan on their wedding happening in October for some reason.

Mx. Quill on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Did a quick grocery run of breakfast and snack foods and drinks since I was low on those (though my dinner situation is still good for two weeks).

Most people at my Harris Teeter in Carrboro still were not giving a rat's ass to maintain distance, and people are still grabbing all the meat and other perishables.

Friggin hell.

Also I just found out my sister's fiance just went from 40 hours to 8, not getting paid his normal wages. And they still plan on their wedding happening in October for some reason.

People need to have hope for the future, the idea that by october everything will be fine for a wedding is the kind of long distance thinking people need.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    My dad went shopping today. Mid day and actually found everything he wanted. Was going to pick up something down the aisle and someone stole his cart. In a mostly empty store. Took what they wanted out of it and dumped it in the meat section. My dad in gloves and a mask (my mom is extremely high risk and my dad is 72 with asthma and retired medical folks so they take no risks) he was so flustered and angry from it. He isn't sure what he was missing from the whole thing.

Seriously people, taking others carts because of reasons?

It is amazing how this has brought out the amazing in us (singing and supporting medical folks, helping those in need) and the massive assholes (coughing on medical people, stealing shit).

u7stthr17eud.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Do we have any idea what the federal government is doing with the medical supplies it's been buying? I haven't heard a peep about it since the story broke a week ago about the feds telling states to buy their own, then outbidding them.

Going off of family military connections, my own history with the military, and seeing mention of DFAS reaching out to retired/separated troops, my guess is just stockpiling it all for some imagined doomsday scenario they could help prevent by not just locking all this shit away.

My other guess if that they've won bids on purchases that can't actually be delivered for several months due to supply chains being boned, so it doesn't matter where stuff is slated to be delivered at this point.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Oh that's fun, I'm not seeing it on the map yet but an e-mail from the university just mentioned a confirmed case in this county, like two towns over. My guess is a student from the smaller university in the area, but no details that I can find yet. So yeah it's definitely here, as I expected, but we're already doing the recommended stuff so hopefully the spread isn't ridiculously fast.

-edit- Yep, it's a student that came back from spring break at the smaller university.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’m still working in Pierce County (next to King County) in Washington.
    The lockdown went into effect today.

7-8 coworkers are in quarantine.

I had to drive around the entire county today to deliver paychecks to the stores. The roads were clearer but still depressingly busy given that we’re in lockdown.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    The continuous lack of available tests is astounding to me.

Roche is at least partially to blame. The dominant test relies on machine that runs on a lysis buffer that is patented and whose recepture is not completely known. This lysis buffer is in extremely short supply and Roche is refusing to release the formula. It's insanity.

...And why hasn't Roche been forced to turn over the formula? Fuck them and fuck their patent.

Because capitalism, because grifting, because Trump won't invoke the act that would require them to do so... take your pick. I imagine they're going to keep this up as long as they can get away with it. Hell, I'd check how much in "donations" his campaign recently just got from Big Pharma and see where it's all coming from.

It's a trade secret. If it was a patent, then people would just make it because it would have been disclosed. The problem is that whilst we might know the components, we don't know the right balance of those and that tends to fuck around with the sensitivity of the instruments. Depending on the instrument, it might be really finicky about something Roche don't even understand.

Transferring assays between locations can reveal how wildly unscientific your processes are. We've had some where it matters immensely if the other site does the dilution 1 in 20 and then 1 in 100, rather than the 1 in 2000 or 1 in 100 and then 1 in 20 we've done on site despite basing this off a kit. It's fixable if you've got a few weeks to play around, but if your backlog is exponentially growing, you just buy the buffer.

Tastyfish on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/489753-epa-suspends-enforcement-of-environmental-laws-amid-coronavirus

From earlier this is from the hill about the EPA suspending environmental laws.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Sheltering in a freshly painted place.
    fz0la44lw8ed.jpg
    dpzah5jwdmg6.jpg

(Well, first coat)

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure if you're running a fever you're contagious regardless of what you have.

Just some food for thought.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    From the updates thread:
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/us/politics/coronavirus-ventilators-trump.html
    White House Considers $1 Billion Price Tag for Ventilators — and Has Second Thoughts
    A deal with General Motors and Ventec Life Systems to produce tens of thousands of the critical lifesaving devices seemed imminent. Then the announcement was pulled back.
    The decision to cancel the announcement, according to government officials, came after the Federal Emergency Management Agency said it needed more time to assess whether the estimated cost was prohibitive — more than $1 billion, with several hundred million dollars to be paid upfront to General Motors to retool the car parts plant in Kokomo, Ind., where the ventilators would be made with Ventec’s technology.

Government officials said the deal may still happen but that they are looking at a dozen or more other proposals. And they contend that an initial promise that the joint venture could turn out 20,000 ventilators in short order had shrunk to 7,500, with even that number in doubt. Longtime emergency managers at FEMA are working with military officials to sort through the competing offers and federal procurement rules while under pressure to give President Trump something to announce.
    The only thing missing was clarity from the government about how many ventilators they needed — and who would be paid to build them.
    At the center of the discussion about how to ramp up the production of ventilators is Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and a senior White House aide, who has told people that he was called in two weeks ago by Vice President Mike Pence to produce more coronavirus test kits and who has now turned his attention to ventilators.

He has been directing officials at FEMA in the effort. Two officials said the suggestion to wait on the General Motors offer came from Col. Patrick Work, who is working at FEMA. Some government officials expressed concern about the possibility of ordering too many ventilators, leaving them with an expensive surplus.
    Targets have changed by the hour, officials said, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Food and Drug Administration (which approves the use of medical devices) and the White House try to figure out how many ventilators to request and how much they should cost.

Those issues appeared to come to a head on Wednesday afternoon, when FEMA told the White House that it was premature to make a decision.

The $1.5 billion price tag comes to around $18,000 a ventilator. And the overall price, by comparison, is roughly equal to buying 18 F-35s, the Pentagon’s most advanced fighter jet.

So on Wednesday, despite the President’s tweet three days earlier, FEMA was still weighing competing offers in order to make a recommendation to Mr. Kushner. And it seemed clear to several officials that the agency would have to select multiple manufacturers, in part to avoid the risk that one production line runs into technical troubles, or that its workers get hit by the same virus the ventilators are being built to defeat.
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Now is not the time to be very worried about a freaking surplus of ventilators
    The only thing missing was clarity from the government about how many ventilators they needed.
    The only thing missing was clarity from the government about how many ventilators they needed.
    Maybe if they'd FUCKING tested people like they were FUCKING supposed to they'd have a FUCKING clue about how many ventilators they might need. But no, we can't have our numbers look too high. God. There isn't anything about their response that doesn't make me livid.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Sheltering in a freshly painted place.
    fz0la44lw8ed.jpg
    dpzah5jwdmg6.jpg

(Well, first coat)

Looks like a space that should smell of leather bound tomes and rich mahogany

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Wife finished laying off her staff and it went better than expected.

Turns out being candid and honest with employees about future prospects helps a lot. They were all really happy about their severances and benefits. They weren't expecting it at all given everyone else's horror stories of getting fired lately. They all plan to take her up on the guaranteed reemployment.

Now everyone just needs to survive the next two or three months of... well, everything.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Why do they keep giving Jared Kushner any responsibility? I know the answer, but holy shit he's managed to be shit at everything he's been in charge of.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Why do they keep giving Jared Kushner any responsibility? I know the answer, but holy shit he's managed to be shit at everything he's been in charge of.

Kushner is one of those quintessential examples of how being born rich means you can succeed despite failing at literally everything you've ever done except being born rich.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Wife's also just furious in general. We're riding this out incredibly easy compared to others, solely through virtue of my government pay and benefits and her company having an actual conscience. I might be able to convince her to help people register to vote this year.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    To be fair to Kushner. He was given literally impossible tasks. I mean if someone handed me peace in the Middle East, the opioid crisis and criminal justice reform...i would probably have done as much as Kushner...which is coast until my boss is removed from office and then bow out.

zepherin on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Tough to really know if they actually did or not, cause the article byline has Maggie Haberman on it, so anything said in it about Jared Kushner I'd take with a grain of salt.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    To be fair to Kushner. He was given literally impossible tasks. I mean if someone handed me peace in the Middle East, the opioid crisis and criminal justice reform...i would probably have done as much as Kushner...which is coast until my boss is removed from office and then bow out.

If you were given those tasks you likely would have declined in deference to experts, or at least hired experts to advise and do the heavy lifting.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Marty81 wrote: »
    From the updates thread:
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/us/politics/coronavirus-ventilators-trump.html
    White House Considers $1 Billion Price Tag for Ventilators — and Has Second Thoughts
    A deal with General Motors and Ventec Life Systems to produce tens of thousands of the critical lifesaving devices seemed imminent. Then the announcement was pulled back.
    The decision to cancel the announcement, according to government officials, came after the Federal Emergency Management Agency said it needed more time to assess whether the estimated cost was prohibitive — more than $1 billion, with several hundred million dollars to be paid upfront to General Motors to retool the car parts plant in Kokomo, Ind., where the ventilators would be made with Ventec’s technology.

Government officials said the deal may still happen but that they are looking at a dozen or more other proposals. And they contend that an initial promise that the joint venture could turn out 20,000 ventilators in short order had shrunk to 7,500, with even that number in doubt. Longtime emergency managers at FEMA are working with military officials to sort through the competing offers and federal procurement rules while under pressure to give President Trump something to announce.
    The only thing missing was clarity from the government about how many ventilators they needed — and who would be paid to build them.
    At the center of the discussion about how to ramp up the production of ventilators is Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and a senior White House aide, who has told people that he was called in two weeks ago by Vice President Mike Pence to produce more coronavirus test kits and who has now turned his attention to ventilators.

He has been directing officials at FEMA in the effort. Two officials said the suggestion to wait on the General Motors offer came from Col. Patrick Work, who is working at FEMA. Some government officials expressed concern about the possibility of ordering too many ventilators, leaving them with an expensive surplus.
    Targets have changed by the hour, officials said, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Food and Drug Administration (which approves the use of medical devices) and the White House try to figure out how many ventilators to request and how much they should cost.

Those issues appeared to come to a head on Wednesday afternoon, when FEMA told the White House that it was premature to make a decision.

The $1.5 billion price tag comes to around $18,000 a ventilator. And the overall price, by comparison, is roughly equal to buying 18 F-35s, the Pentagon’s most advanced fighter jet.

So on Wednesday, despite the President’s tweet three days earlier, FEMA was still weighing competing offers in order to make a recommendation to Mr. Kushner. And it seemed clear to several officials that the agency would have to select multiple manufacturers, in part to avoid the risk that one production line runs into technical troubles, or that its workers get hit by the same virus the ventilators are being built to defeat.
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Now is not the time to be very worried about a freaking surplus of ventilators
    Maybe if they'd FUCKING tested people like they were FUCKING supposed to they'd have a FUCKING clue about how many ventilators they might need. But no, we can't have our numbers look too high. God. There isn't anything about their response that doesn't make me livid.

So this will go over as well as Peace in the Middle East

edited March 2020
    Athenor wrote: »

If you were given those tasks you likely would have declined in deference to experts, or at least hired experts to advise and do the heavy lifting.
    ...I mean yes I would have totes hired some people to take the blame for failing at an impossible task.

And back on topic I got scolded at Wegmans for stepping past the duct tape on the floor.

zepherin on
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Kushner is one of those quintessential examples of how being born rich means you can succeed despite failing at literally everything you've ever done except being born rich.

Jared Kushner is America's Chris Grayling.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    .also he sticks his hand up for these roles, he's not being inadvertently thrust into a crab fab situation. The epitome of unearned confidence.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I'm pretty sure if you're running a fever you're contagious regardless of what you have.

Just some food for thought.

There are plenty of reasons that you can run a fever without being contageous. You can run a fever without having an infection even.

wbBv3fj.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Apparently the Cruise lines are not helped by the legislation.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine just posted to their social media about a friend of theirs - 25 years old, came down with a fever and severe difficulty breathing. Was denied testing for failing the criteria for testing. Then proceeded to die. Apparently "taking 10 steps feels like running a mile" wasn't good enough to get a test, nor see a doctor in these times. I would suppose their age might've had something to do with it. I also gather they might not have sought help after being denied the initial test and doctor, thinking they'd be turned away again.

It's anecdotal, of course. I realize it's not something I should hold up as evidence. But I keep seeing more and more of this, getting closer and closer and closer. And I see us doing... nothing... to stop it. And I fear what's coming next, because I know it'll be someone I know and love who gets claimed by this thing.

To say I'm distressed is putting it mildly. I fear this will get much, much worse before it gets better.

VuIBhrs.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The whole "Jared Kushner was brought on to increase the number of tests" is a really bad line by the NYTimes. It conveys that he's the reason the tests have gone up, when he probably didn't do a single thing. And now that he's brought up for ventilators he'll increase those (ignore anything already in place).

Also on the $1 billion ventilator deal: it's likely there are federal procurement laws that require them to do more work on the contract

Anyways in personal news I had a job offer with an airport doing data analytics and they called to let me know they're pausing all hiring right now. But they were also really great, asked first how I'm doing how I'm holding up with everything, the kinda things that made me go "shit I still wanna work there they seem awesome". Hopefully one of the other jobs I've applied for give me a position before the economy enters a depression.

edited March 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Apparently the general consensus is fuck em.

zepherin on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

They should seek aid from whatever countries their ships are registered in.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Also Trump's approval rating depresses me but whatever

They're all flying under the Panamanian flag, and last I checked we aren't Panama.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It looks like a good friend is going to be laid off from Fossil Watches, who been hit pretty bad by this (though they weren't doing that great before hand).

Another friend who works in an architecture firm is worried about her job.

And my climbing gym (which has 7 locations and had just built a new gym) finally let go of their employees and now asking their members not to cancel their memberships if they can afford it otherwise they may not be able to reopen.

Things are going to start really impacting sectors and lives that people weren't expecting.

This discussion has been closed.