As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Can't Stop Thinking About [Control]

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    My Xbox refuses to recognize the disk anymore so I guess the game’s over for me!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Oh I don’t care for any of what is happening here. Not at all.
    I got the gun and all the paintings changed and I keep shooting them but it doesn’t help.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I beat this game last weekend and it’s basically guaranteed to be my goty.

Late game and ending discussion don’t read if you haven’t beaten this!
    The whole thing was good, but the last few missions, basically starting with the reveal of what all happened in Ordinary to chasing Ahti to the goddamn masterpiece that is the Ashtray Maze to the stuff with Polaris and the mind trip when Jesse gets hissed to the big conflict in the astral plane was fuckin great.

The moment the perfect stupid butt rock kicked in while everything was going all inception I knew I was gonna love the Ashtray Maze, and the way they timed the song to transition as you go from room to room was so cool.

The To Be Continued ending was a wet fart but I loved everything right before it so much that I don’t care. Hopefully the DLC provides some resolution.

rhylith on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Oh I don’t care for any of what is happening here. Not at all.
    I got the gun and all the paintings changed and I keep shooting them but it doesn’t help.

I had literally the same reaction

I can't say it got better so much as it is that I got used to it, which is honestly worse

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Finished this recently!
    I agree that the Ashtray Maze was amazing, it even had a checkpoint in it! Also, while I totally get people who are disappointed at the anti-climax, I kinda liked the subversion of there being no Big Final Hiss Leader/Dylan fight. I swear only part of my reasoning is because I didn't want a frustrating final boss fight.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So I've been playing more of this, just got to the research division:
    I honestly forget if I really had anything to say about the earlier sections outside of yo what the fuck is wrong with Threshold Kids. Like weird puppetry aside that one puppet was definitely going to use looking for their mom as a pretext to fuck that other puppet and was saying that while staring through my fucking soul. I think the combat is already starting to wear a little thin for me. I've basically been doing the video game thing of going the opposite of where the game is telling me so it was fun to get the research division and get that intro video and then basically smash cut from chipper Darling to hasn't slept in weeks Darling when I visited his office. This also meant I went to Dimensional Research before I should and I hate everything about that place, from the decor to the paintings, when I got to that first room and the wall behind me closed up I actually noped out for the night.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    So I've been playing more of this, just got to the research division:
    I honestly forget if I really had anything to say about the earlier sections outside of yo what the fuck is wrong with Threshold Kids. Like weird puppetry aside that one puppet was definitely going to use looking for their mom as a pretext to fuck that other puppet and was saying that while staring through my fucking soul. I think the combat is already starting to wear a little thin for me. I've basically been doing the video game thing of going the opposite of where the game is telling me so it was fun to get the research division and get that intro video and then basically smash cut from chipper Darling to hasn't slept in weeks Darling when I visited his office. This also meant I went to Dimensional Research before I should and I hate everything about that place, from the decor to the paintings, when I got to that first room and the wall behind me closed up I actually noped out for the night.

Haha oh boy
    That's not even Dimensional Research, which you are currently unable to reach and will be unable to reach until story things happen. Check your Hotline for what that area actually is.

It is rather worth following the game's signposts for a few missions longer. Go, check some places out, see some sights, learn some tricks. You'll have opportunities to check shit out.

The game still has such things to show you.

And a little protip, if you're interested in platinuming Control, it's worth getting started early on knocking out Board Countermeasures. It'll be more annoying to do them later. Also there's no penalty for selecting one and then dismissing it to make it go away if you don't want to do one.

Apparently we get Photo Mode tomorrow, which I'm looking forward to. This is a gorgeous game.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Heads up about the latest update:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/18/20921494/control-remedy-games-update-revoked-steam-controller-support

They rolled it back because it snuck in always-online DRM and breaks Steam Controller support.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Security/Panopticon
    I appreciate the game waiting until like halfway through before using the Motel for a scare. The flash of what I presume is my brother's face definitely got me. I do not care for the screaming and the blood and the upside down room in the motel either. I also liked Langston proving that this is still a government facility by working his way up the corporate ladder by existing long enough. I wish the map was better and marked locked doors like a Metroid. I tried to do some backtracking but it was mostly just me wandering around without a purpose.

• Options
    So despite many technical issues I finally beat this game. For anyone else coming to this late running it in DX12 with an Nvidia card rolling back my drivers to 431.60 is what finally stopped my crashing issues. I was also having a really fun issue with my wireless adapter for my Xbox controller that would make it disconnect constantly but that’s not the game’s fault.

I think if I wasn’t hooked by the game like I was I would have given up long ago.

Full game spoilers:
    The combat got a little better once I realized there were actual noticeable upgrades in the upgrade tree and not just changing a value. I think my mistake was going super hard on the health and energy upgrades. That said I never really got into any of the gun forms outside of the first one, especially once I got eternal fire. I still had some frustrations with the combat/checkpointing though, especially when clearing the siphons off hedron. I eventually realized you can just rush the siphon without killing anybody and managed to get part it. I do kinda wish the ashtray maze was still a maze at all but what we did get was awesome. I want that song on my phone. The mirror was a good sequence.

The fakeout ending totally got me, the credits started rolling and I was just sitting there going what the fuck is that.
    The actual ending was good too, I’m glad Dylan didn’t turn into the big final boss fight because it seemed the obvious choice. I got excited when I made Pope head of research and went down in the hopes I could fire Langston’s useless ass but no such luck. I did get to see the rangers fucking with him by pretending to be robots which was hilarious.

So question time, was the hedron/Polaris never there? Before you crack the egg Jesse says she’s never felt Polaris stronger and then couldn’t feel it at all, which I think was after the hiss nightmare. I presume Darling and Marshall’s whereabouts are DLC hooks, I went to the control point for the atlas chamber and it looked like the path to it was blocked. I didn’t look hard to see if I was missing another path though. The former is still out there right? I cleansed it off the flamingo but that didn’t really feel like a final fight to me.

Also I hate Jesse’s weird director bun.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Yeah the Former is a bad boss fight.

Other than that i'm really loving the combat in this game. It was rough at the start but as you get more and more abilities it just becomes a complete blast.

Aistan on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    So despite many technical issues I finally beat this game. For anyone else coming to this late running it in DX12 with an Nvidia card rolling back my drivers to 431.60 is what finally stopped my crashing issues. I was also having a really fun issue with my wireless adapter for my Xbox controller that would make it disconnect constantly but that’s not the game’s fault.

I think if I wasn’t hooked by the game like I was I would have given up long ago.

Full game spoilers:
    The combat got a little better once I realized there were actual noticeable upgrades in the upgrade tree and not just changing a value. I think my mistake was going super hard on the health and energy upgrades. That said I never really got into any of the gun forms outside of the first one, especially once I got eternal fire. I still had some frustrations with the combat/checkpointing though, especially when clearing the siphons off hedron. I eventually realized you can just rush the siphon without killing anybody and managed to get part it. I do kinda wish the ashtray maze was still a maze at all but what we did get was awesome. I want that song on my phone. The mirror was a good sequence.

The fakeout ending totally got me, the credits started rolling and I was just sitting there going what the fuck is that.
    The actual ending was good too, I’m glad Dylan didn’t turn into the big final boss fight because it seemed the obvious choice. I got excited when I made Pope head of research and went down in the hopes I could fire Langston’s useless ass but no such luck. I did get to see the rangers fucking with him by pretending to be robots which was hilarious.

So question time, was the hedron/Polaris never there? Before you crack the egg Jesse says she’s never felt Polaris stronger and then couldn’t feel it at all, which I think was after the hiss nightmare. I presume Darling and Marshall’s whereabouts are DLC hooks, I went to the control point for the atlas chamber and it looked like the path to it was blocked. I didn’t look hard to see if I was missing another path though. The former is still out there right? I cleansed it off the flamingo but that didn’t really feel like a final fight to me.

Also I hate Jesse’s weird director bun.

How dare you want to fire Langston

He has a cat to feed

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Tommasi is also a bad boss fight.

Basically the combat in the game is great... except for the boss fights. So it shares that in common with every other game in existence. Abolish boss fights.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Basically the combat in the game is great... except for the boss fights. So it shares that in common with every other game in existence. Abolish boss fights.

BROTHER

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I still maintain that the boss fights could be fixed since they only have one or two fundamental flaws

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

BROTHER
    SO glad you don't fight him.

Though I wonder if they should have built up to this big fight with Dylan, and then it's just a sibling fight with like headlocks and noogies.

• Options
    Holy crap Darling is built

• Options
    Oh. I guess I beat the game? That was pretty sudden.

Uh... alright, I suppose. Cool.

• Options
    The Foundation DLC is now live!
    Now I gotta remember how to play this oh god the Board is gonna be so disappointed in me

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Feelin dumb for buyin the game on xbox because apparently the performance there was slightly better.

• Options
    The Foundation DLC is good!

it's creative and evocative and does some real neat things.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Lalabox wrote: »
    The Foundation DLC is good!

it's creative and evocative and does some real neat things.

I'm looking forward to getting to that. Just gonna finish up DOOM first, then finish my second Control playthrough.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Oh my god fuck this final boss (DLC)
    I got her down to ONE TICK, literally a sneeze would've taken her out, and somehow I got turned around and she teleport rushed me and killed me

I'm SO MAD

• Options
    Final boss down but now I'm stuck on a side mission boss

I can't believe they never patched in checkpoints for bosses so I didn't have to run my sorry ass all the way back

• Options
    the Camera sequence is great but playing it several times to get one shot out of nowhere by the end bit is not

• Options
    That's the one I'm stuck on!

• Options
    i redid a lot of the endgame stuff before starting the Foundation, since I'd previously completed just about everything, but then it didn't get saved after I decided to replay some sequences.

And a lot of the endgame bosses went a hell of a lot smoother and I was wondering if maybe things had been tweaked etc?

But then the Foundation had all the same bullshit bosses and stuff like that

it's still great, and a lot of it is a lot better designed, but still

• Options
    That's the one I'm stuck on!

it's so frustrating with having nowhere to dodge, and then bringing those mooks who'll take your attention off the boss for the moment he needs to one shot you

• Options
    Also, i'm replaying bits and pieces and god Dr Casper Darling is such a fantastic character

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I love the character you get from his audio diaries, but i love that you get just as much insight into him by the fact that he's made them and editted them.together and he loves making them

Head Scientist of super secret research facility who also loves being an edutainment personality is such a fantastic hook

Lalabox on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Splurged the DLC today. I loved it. Didn’t find the bosses too hard, the only part I really struggled with was
    The train sequence with the movie camera. The boss at the end was hard to hit, but what killed me was the looks spawning next to me.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Can someone recommend a good synopsis/walkthrough of this game? I clicked into this thread by accident and I am fascinated, but also I hate shooty games.

• Options
    I am trying to hunt down the ID cards but two named Hiss keep spawning in the warehouse and fucking murdering me and it's driving me crazy

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I am trying to hunt down the ID cards but two named Hiss keep spawning in the warehouse and fucking murdering me and it's driving me crazy

That was annoying to me as well. I got used to using the spikes around the area to fuck'em up, and taking over Hiss to back me up. that helped a lot.

• Options
    never die wrote: »

That was annoying to me as well. I got used to using the spikes around the area to fuck'em up, and taking over Hiss to back me up. that helped a lot.

They float, and there are no mooks to take over

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Okay the only thing I have left is the camera sequence and I just, I can't, I have no way to figure this out, I have tried every combination of weapons and mods and I just cannot keep my energy up and without fail I will bottom out at the exact moment I need to shield

edit: I think that's failure #15 so fuck this I'm done

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Hey, quarantine is a thing so sure, I'll play a game about being locked in a building slowly going crazy.

I am just about to:
    Talk to Marshall. I have level three clearance, and just got the Seize power.

Impressions so far:
    It feels like there's two games here; one about Faden breaking into the Bureau to find out what happened to her brother, and one about an alien incursion into the very place meant to prevent them. So far they aren't meshing at all. 'oh, Emily, all your friends are dead, you're trapped with the monsters that killed them, and I seem to have the power to resist this enemy, and override the House's defenses. Let's talk about a cold case from twenty years ago and oh you actually are interested? Weird but okay!'

Secondly, already 100% exhausted with the "should I tell her...my secret? What I saw? That thing that I saw that I am holding secret? No. No I shall keep my secret...for now. For it is my secret, and my secret is secret" internal monologue thing.

I think I'd be happier if the game was just the alien incursion part, and there were no survivors. Faden was in the field on her first assignment when it happened, just got back, and is now the only employee able to fight it off bing boom done.

I do like the atmosphere, though. This game has it in spaaaaaaades. And the way the building reconfigures after a control point is cleared is neat and the ashtray maze is neat even though I have not figured it out and yeah. The world is so great, I'm annoyed they plastered on a weird sad brother subplot.

Also fuck Bureau incursions. They're dumb.

But the game is fun and I look forward to the rest!

Narbus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I've been playing this game! It's good!

However now I'm in the DLC and... I have no fucking clue how to proceed?

• Options
    Alan Wake/Dr Darling dialogue scenes that are just Matthew Porretta switching voices