As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Ancient Enemy & GameDev Beatdown out today!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I'm curious what happens when one of their partner's inevitibly goes milkshake duck.

https://www.polygon.com/gaming/2020/2/12/21135469/epic-boss-tim-sweeney-politics-games-controversy-dice-mockingbird

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I'm curious what people think more acceptable terms would be.

Taking half of the profits in perpetuity just looks bad to me, even factoring in that Epic is absorbing all of the risk. If it was tiered over time, or if it was a limited time deal, it probably wouldn't bother me as much. But the idea that 10 years from now, 20 years from now, Epic will still be taking half of the cut doesn't sit well with me.

But as I've said, this is probably a sweeter deal than anyone else in the industry offers and I ain't going to begrudge anyoen who takes them up on it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I will guarantee you that most other publishers take more than that and they also take it in perpetuity.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    I will guarantee you that most other publishers take more than that and they also take it in perpetuity.

Probably.

Doesn't mean it's something I think is good, or that it couldn't be better.

Capitalism kinda sucks, it turns out.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Valve essentially takes 30% in perpetuity even without the whole publishing and funding thing

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I'm curious what happens when one of their partner's inevitibly goes milkshake duck.

https://www.polygon.com/gaming/2020/2/12/21135469/epic-boss-tim-sweeney-politics-games-controversy-dice-mockingbird

Sweeny has fallen into the extremely rich, vaguely-privately-liberal CEO trap of have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too thinking of political text/subtext in art as seperable from the corporations that produce them. But it's impossible to extricate corporate identity from the art it backs except by very carefully making sure you, your company and everyone associated with your company never says anything at all. Political statements in corporate-funded art will be strangled in the name of corporate inoffensiveness, or they won't be and the backing corporation will be associated with the message. There's no middle ground where art is allowed to have a political message that isn't tied back to the ones who are financially responsible for propagating it. The reason Sweeny can't articulate what he thinks the role of politics should be in the game industry coherently is because his stance is incoherent. I hope he reflects on that and decides his error is putting corporate profits first rather than deciding that no politics can be allowed to stick to the company he's responsible for and potentially cause lost sales.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Valve essentially takes 30% in perpetuity even without the whole publishing and funding thing

Yep, and that's bad.

What happens if an Epic published game winds up on Steam? Does Epic get half of 70%, leaving the developer with 35%?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    As someone pointed out in the replies to Rami’s tweets, it says the devs get “at least 50%” after costs are recouped which suggests room to negotiate for a higher cut

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    As someone pointed out in the replies to Rami’s tweets, it says the devs get “at least 50%” after costs are recouped which suggests room to negotiate for a higher cut

Fair enough on that. I missed that when I read that article.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Yep, and that's bad.

What happens if an Epic published game winds up on Steam? Does Epic get half of 70%, leaving the developer with 35%?

I believe that is indeed what happens with publisher cuts of any title on steam, the publisher and developer split whatever's left after the storefront cut? Unless the big publishers negotiate separate deals with steam I guess.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You guys are confusing the storefront cut with publisher cut

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Being able to keep the IP is huge. Also if all your overhead is covered, that 50% profit is pretty fuckin' sweet.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    there are better deals you can get from publishers but they're extremely rare and usually you only see them for ports of already-successful games

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Sweeny has fallen into the extremely rich, vaguely-privately-liberal CEO trap of have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too thinking of political text/subtext in art as seperable from the corporations that produce them. But it's impossible to extricate corporate identity from the art it backs except by very carefully making sure you, your company and everyone associated with your company never says anything at all. Political statements in corporate-funded art will be strangled in the name of corporate inoffensiveness, or they won't be and the backing corporation will be associated with the message. There's no middle ground where art is allowed to have a political message that isn't tied back to the ones who are financially responsible for propagating it. The reason Sweeny can't articulate what he thinks the role of politics should be in the game industry coherently is because his stance is incoherent. I hope he reflects on that and decides his error is putting corporate profits first rather than deciding that no politics can be allowed to stick to the company he's responsible for and potentially cause lost sales.

you uh can't actually make any media without intentionally or unintentionally being political. Well I suppose you uniquely can with games that require no context to function as a game. (think Tetris, Picross, Baba is You) But any game that requires context to function, a plot or story if you will, (although it doesn't necessarily need to have a story to qualify as having context) will always inherently be political. You can be more or less overtly political but you can't avoid political messaging without restricting yourself to some pretty limited criteria for design. Like, Mario has political messaging. Doom has political messaging. Individual creators, let alone large businesses, don't get to absolve themselves of what messaging their work conveys to people even if it wasn't there intention to do so. So "keep politics out of games" is just the dumbest argument. Also lol at the idea that the games industry doesn't lobby hard in politics. It's a bullshit argument Sweeny made. All large industries are extremely political, it's just most profitable for them to pretend not to be.

Gundi on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

you uh can't actually make any media without intentionally or unintentionally being political. Well I suppose you uniquely can with games that require no context to function as a game. (think Tetris, Picross, Baba is You) But any game that requires context to function, a plot or story if you will, (although it doesn't necessarily need to have a story to qualify as having context) will always inherently be political. You can be more or less overtly political but you can't avoid political messaging without restricting yourself to some pretty limited criteria for design. Like, Mario has political messaging. Doom has political messaging. Individual creators, let alone large businesses, don't get to absolve themselves of what messaging their work conveys to people even if it wasn't there intention to do so. So "keep politics out of games" is just the dumbest argument. Also lol at the idea that the games industry doesn't lobby hard in politics. It's a bullshit argument Sweeny made. All large industries are extremely political, it's just most profitable for them to pretend not to be.

modern warfare is absolutely not political though

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »

modern warfare is absolutely not political though
    Also The Division is not political, especially The Division 2.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ubisoft would like everyone to know that they figured out that politics isn't real, it was a false alarm, crisis averted

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Did Ubisoft ever try to argue that Watch Dogs 2 wasn't political?

never die on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Did Ubisoft ever try to argue that Watch Dogs 2 wasn't political?

Isn’t that from before some people started putting politics in games, and is therefore apolitical by default?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Karoz wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't begrudge them keeping anything they fully fund on the Epic store.

Makes good sense to me.

This is the first time their buying up of exlusives has made any sense at all.

People keep comparing Epic buying exclusives to things like Half Life on Steam, Anthem on Origin, Overwatch on Battle.net, etc. Except they always miss one fundamental problem with their comparisons - those companies published those games so it made sense they were exclusive to their stores, Epic was just paying for timed exclusivity of projects they weren't publishing, the worst part of console exclusivity.

I've got no issue whatsoever of Epic publishing games and keeping them exclusive to EGS at all. They're now taking real risks on projects, and it makes sense they want the money from that risk. Their previous method of buying exclusivity to projects that have already been announced and with gameplay footage/demos in the wild getting positive impressions was utter bullshit. Doubly so for buying projects that were crowd funded with platform expectations already announced and projects that had started pre-order phases on other platforms.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The Earth in Minecraft, 1:1 scale ...for the first time. 12:52
    https://youtu.be/8_bW3ab8YAk

Probably wouldn't be finished but I like the idea I suppose

Peas on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I can't believe we live in a time where I have to ask "...so will the final result be a flat Earth? 'Cause that has implications these days".

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Instead of taking the opportunity to proactively clear out my backlog, I've spent the last week noodling around in City of Heroes. I'm not even cranking through content, just constantly fiddling with costumes and joining random pickup teams. The servers are busy, sometimes positively clogged, and I've been meeting a lot of interesting people. For instance, last night I spent five hours playing with a voiceover actress from LA who (she says) did the safety announcements at Knott's Berry Farm and we bonded over our mutual crush on Bebe Neuwirth from Frasier. The night before that I met some kids who invited me to a private Discord and when I popped my head in someone went "wait are you THE Jacobkosh from Penny Arcade" and I was like uhhhhh

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    THE internet e-celebrity Jacobkosh?

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Instead of taking the opportunity to proactively clear out my backlog, I've spent the last week noodling around in City of Heroes. I'm not even cranking through content, just constantly fiddling with costumes and joining random pickup teams. The servers are busy, sometimes positively clogged, and I've been meeting a lot of interesting people. For instance, last night I spent five hours playing with a voiceover actress from LA who (she says) did the safety announcements at Knott's Berry Farm and we bonded over our mutual crush on Bebe Neuwirth from Frasier. The night before that I met some kids who invited me to a private Discord and when I popped my head in someone went "wait are you THE Jacobkosh from Penny Arcade" and I was like uhhhhh

It's that sexy mod badge.

Major internet points.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Karl the Inquisitor's Diary: Baldur's Gate EE.
    So err....it's been awhile now lads. In a nutshell
    • Prevented a war between Baldur's Gate and Amn
    • Uncovered a conspiracy by the Iron Throne to start the said war for cash.
    • Find out it's a conspiracy within because the guy behind it is working his agenda to become grand duke of Baldur's Gate
    • Find out that said evil mastermind is actually the mortal son of the dead god of murder.
    • The entire overly convoluted plan is to trigger a massive war so the shedding of blood empowers him to ascend to become the new god of murder.
    • I uncover his plot, kill most of the Iron Throne, kill most of his own direct henchman and then kill Saverok myself.
    • Be declared the "hero of Baldur's gate".
    However, there are 2 slight issues
    1. Saverok was my half brother. The god of murder is also my father. That's kinda fucked up.
    2. I'm now having to drag my arse to dragon spear castle and prevent some religious nutjob from invading hell. I'm all for it, let her get herself killed but she's causing massive disruption along the sword coast. Her crusade is causing a refugee crisis.

And to make matters worse, my original team kinda drifted apart so I've had to make a new one of:
    1. Me
    2. Minsc
    3. Jaheria
    4. Corwain
    5. Safana
    6. Dynaheir

Though I miss Imoen, I did not realize just how fucking annoying Neera was until I ran into her again. Stay at the camp Neera.

Karl on
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Karl the Inquisitor's Diary: Baldur's Gate EE.
    So err....it's been awhile now lads. In a nutshell
    • Prevented a war between Baldur's Gate and Amn
    • Uncovered a conspiracy by the Iron Throne to start the said war for cash.
    • Find out it's a conspiracy within because the guy behind it is working his agenda to become grand duke of Baldur's Gate
    • Find out that said evil mastermind is actually the mortal son of the dead god of murder.
    • The entire overly convoluted plan is to trigger a massive war so the shedding of blood empowers him to ascend to become the new god of murder.
    • I uncover his plot, kill most of the Iron Throne, kill most of his own direct henchman and then kill Saverok myself.
    • Be declared the "hero of Baldur's gate".
    However, there are 2 slight issues
    1. Saverok was my half brother. The god of murder is also my father. That's kinda fucked up.
    2. I'm now having to drag my arse to dragon spear castle and prevent some religious nutjob from invading hell. I'm all for it, let her get herself killed but she's causing massive disruption along the sword coast. Her crusade is causing a refugee crisis.

And to make matters worse, my original team kinda drifted apart so I've had to make a new one of:
    1. Me
    2. Minsc
    3. Jaheria
    4. Corwain
    5. Safana
    6. Dynaheir

Though I miss Imoen, I did not realize just how fucking annoying Neera was until I ran into her again. Stay at the camp Neera.

I love Baldur's Gate's dumb conspiracy thriller plot so much.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Geez they nailed the character models in these remakes.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Wait, a City of Heroes is playable? Are we talking about something any ol' Internet schlub (like me) can play, or is it a secretive invitation-only server that you only get invited to if you're a famous Internet celebrity, like a ProZD or a Jacobkosh?

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Wait, a City of Heroes is playable? Are we talking about something any ol' Internet schlub (like me) can play, or is it a secretive invitation-only server that you only get invited to if you're a famous Internet celebrity, like a ProZD or a Jacobkosh?

Public fan servers have been a thing for over a year at this point. I'm not sure if it's against the rules to link anything of the sort, but it shouldn't be that hard to find.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Finished The Room VR

got a bit stuck on the third and fourth chapters. Just overlooked a couple of obvious things.
    I liked revisiting 3; and I have the impression that the doll house is from Old Sins, but I haven't played that yet. Not sure why 1 and 2 didn't make appearances.

I don't quite get why the miniature lens has an extra scene on the way in.

overall it's pretty light, and 'suffers' from the same problem that the other games have: when examining the object, puzzles are solved by accident. Let me know that a bit is movable by feeling it, and maybe put in some catches that aren't visible from the hotspot, so I'm running my hands on the underside of the desk or along the sides of a wardrobe or whatever.

don't personally care for the hotspot design, but it's hardly detrimental. Just limits the scope of the puzzles a bit. Like a lot of games (or most) they dole out the lens upgrades level by level, so by the time I have the (actually really cool) astronomy lens there's only room for maybe a dozen puzzles with it. And then each puzzle has to start off easy, so you really only get one or two 'hard' puzzles. Same with the miniature lens. Jumping in and out of the doll house is really cool, but you only do that once.

if you have a vr kit, I recommend it. It took me perhaps 4.5 hours, so you may feel $30 is a bit steep. I don't regret the price, though.

Tamin on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Public fan servers have been a thing for over a year at this point. I'm not sure if it's against the rules to link anything of the sort, but it shouldn't be that hard to find.
    Got it, figured it was this but just wanted to double-check. Thanks!

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    More free Steam games? More free Steam games!
    header.jpg?t=1585273716header.jpg?t=1585312044
    Both UNI and The Deed will be free to keep if you redeem them on Steam before next 30th/31st of March.
    THE OFFER WILL BE AVAILABLE IN 2-4 HOURS.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1011300/UNI
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/420740/The_Deed/

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Started another playthrough of Mass Effect 3 last night. One of my best friends messaged me on Discord and was teasing me about it. Listen man I'm stressed, things are uncertain, I need the video game equivalent of comfort food right now.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    More Space Elevator parts!

3O8j3km.png?1
    WPcK77M.png?1

Finally got production lines up for the first three elevator parts. Part #2 took a whole steel plants worth of output, I may need to swap the recipes around on that one later. Granted once I unlock better belts I can drastically increase steel output too.

After I got those running I let them build me a supply to feed the elevator and ran half into the ticket machine. I spent the time on another resource/hard drive mission. I've gotten quite a few now. Missing a bunch on the east side though, I don't know those biomes super well yet.

Next up... I need to get lines up for modular frames and motors, then eventually convert elevator parts #1 and #3 into outputs for parts #4 and #5 (nice how that lines up) Gonna have to increase the production line for #3 though, I didn't realize how much I'd need later.

TBH between the existing lines and the steel production I've used up a significant chunk of my iron and coal, so I gotta improve resource output to be able to sustain more production. Luckily I can now use the refiners to do the various ore+water refining methods, which should help dramatically.

-edit-

I really need to start building vertical I've used a lot of my giant platform already.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    apparently jill got a new model cause her original one definitely does not look like early 20s anymore

also, I want a new end of zoe where I can be a hobo that chokeslams nemesis

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I need to see what I need to do with the space elevator. I already had opened up tiers 5 and 6 in it before the update, so I've just been working through those requirements in the hub. I wonder if I'll need to re-unlock everything in the space elevator or not for when I want to get access to tiers 7 & 8. Oh well. I'll worry about that when I get to them. Going to work towards getting the jet pack next. I keep falling off my factories and taking damage.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.