As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Stay Alert Home Alert Stay Household

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    honestly, I think calling FFG the equivalent of the Tories is fairly harsh.
    They may be right wing, and I'm certainly not a fan, but neither FF nor FG have fully embraced the far right and are full steam ahead fascists the way the Tories now are.

I can see Leo's handling of this doing wonders for FGs polling, and honestly if I were them I'd be wanting another election sooner rather than later now.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    There was a degree of noise about the government handing a contract for 10k ventilators to Dyson, complete with the usual bullshit about 'blitz spirit' and all that crap. See:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043767

Notably they're pushing their own design, rather than manufacturing an existing design. Now, Dyson isn't a company that I'd particularly associate with medical equiptment, and likewise I strongly doubt that they're able to go from no experience to producing medical grade equiptment in the span of about two months max - even with outside help. Similarly, as I understand it medical devices need very stringent testing (particularly invasive devices like a ventilator) and I'd be very wary of rushing an untested design from a company with no medical background though approval. So why is the government giving them a large contract?

Since it's Dyson, who I have no end of distain for due to his openly pro-brexit stance, I'm suspicious of motives. And then you have this from Peston:

So yeah, not improving my opinion of Dyson in any way.

Tbf if you suddenly need a goddamb lot of them in a hurry, then a large electrical engineering manufacturer who can make 10,000 sub-par ventilators is more useful than one who can make 300 super-precise certified perfect ventilators.

If I get hit with this bullshit, then I will 100.01% absolutely accept an uncertified Dyson ventilator now rather than wait 6-12 weeks for a "proper" one.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    MP backlash over EU ventilator scheme
    The government is facing a backlash from MPs for not joining an EU scheme to get extra ventilators during the coronavirus outbreak.

The EU scheme will use the bloc's joint procurement agreement, which helps member states get the medical supplies it needs to tackle cross-border pandemics.

It has also created a stockpile of medical equipment - 90% of it financed by the European Commission - to help EU countries.

Last week, the UK was invited to take part in the scheme.

But Downing Street confirmed on Thursday it would not join as "we are no longer members of the EU".

Liberal Democrat MP Layla Moran accused the PM of putting "Brexit over breathing".
    Taking back control over our livesdeaths.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    MP backlash over EU ventilator scheme
    The government is facing a backlash from MPs for not joining an EU scheme to get extra ventilators during the coronavirus outbreak.

The EU scheme will use the bloc's joint procurement agreement, which helps member states get the medical supplies it needs to tackle cross-border pandemics.

It has also created a stockpile of medical equipment - 90% of it financed by the European Commission - to help EU countries.

Last week, the UK was invited to take part in the scheme.

But Downing Street confirmed on Thursday it would not join as "we are no longer members of the EU".

Liberal Democrat MP Layla Moran accused the PM of putting "Brexit over breathing".
    Taking back control over our livesdeaths.

Can the US get in on that then

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    There was a degree of noise about the government handing a contract for 10k ventilators to Dyson, complete with the usual bullshit about 'blitz spirit' and all that crap. See:

Notably they're pushing their own design, rather than manufacturing an existing design. Now, Dyson isn't a company that I'd particularly associate with medical equiptment, and likewise I strongly doubt that they're able to go from no experience to producing medical grade equiptment in the span of about two months max - even with outside help. Similarly, as I understand it medical devices need very stringent testing (particularly invasive devices like a ventilator) and I'd be very wary of rushing an untested design from a company with no medical background though approval. So why is the government giving them a large contract?

Since it's Dyson, who I have no end of distain for due to his openly pro-brexit stance, I'm suspicious of motives. And then you have this from Peston:

Tbf if you suddenly need a goddamb lot of them in a hurry, then a large electrical engineering manufacturer who can make 10,000 sub-par ventilators is more useful than one who can make 300 super-precise certified perfect ventilators.

If I get hit with this bullshit, then I will 100.01% absolutely accept an uncertified Dyson ventilator now rather than wait 6-12 weeks for a "proper" one.

A medical ventilator is much more than just "air goes out this tube into your face"

A bad one might just as well kill you very, very fast.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

A medical ventilator is much more than just "air goes out this tube into your face"

What confirms the Dyson thing as a pressure move is that there's been a loose coalition of engineering firms (a couple of F1 teams, I think a bunch of aerospace etc) quietly working together for a few weeks now on an agreed, tested design and then Dyson announces that his company is doing their own special version. As my Dad put it "He does know that he can't just make a vacuum run in reverse right?"

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Dyson is just like any other techbro who thinks he knows better than anyone else. He's just a bit older than most.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Self-employed aren't going to receive assistance until June, but sounds like the money will at least be backdated then.

Still... that's a long fucking time to go without any money if you need the help.

Burnage on
  • Options
    F1 teams, though; they would normally be upgrading their cars constantly, and those cars are perpetual prototypes. Designing, prototyping, manufacturing at speed is what those guys do, year in, year out. The only thing they don't do is manufacture on a mass scale, but that part can probably be figured out or handed off. They are also used to their designs having to fit extremely stringent safety rules, so they're not going to cut corners there.

Last I heard, Ferrari were on it in Italy, and at least four of the eight UK-based teams were on it too.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    As pointed out above, having a ventilator go wrong is a very bad thing to put it lightly. I wouldn't trust a device that they've only just got a prototype of except as an absolute last resort. What makes it worse is that the government seem to be actively ignoring more reliable sources for ventilators. In the case of the EU procurement program, it's because they're ideological dickheads and genuinely need to be fired into the sun for it. Why they're seemingly ignoring other smaller suppliers (such as those in this Guardian article) is a mystery.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52056534

Today's figures: 578 deaths, 11,568 confirmed positive, 93,208 tested negative.

That last statistic is very surprising. We've tested over 100k people and most of them tested negative? How did that happen?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

That last statistic is very surprising. We've tested over 100k people and most of them tested negative? How did that happen?

Germany tested 500k people during the last 7 days, and not even 10% of those tested positive. They're thinking about changing the criteria again

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    The government has announced they're joining the EU ventilator scheme.

They said they didn't get an invite "due to a communication error".

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Was that 'communication error' the EU only reaching out to EU members?

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    moniker wrote: »

Was that 'communication error' the EU only reaching out to EU members?

No. It was people finding out we'd been invited to join in and telling other people who weren't supposed to know that.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Communication error of not thinking the public would find out them being prats behind closed doors was getting the public killed

Alternatively they were forwarding all EU mail to junk / trash as Brexit means Brexit

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

You know, wouldn't it be a wonderful thing if the UK were included in this kind of program by default, maybe having a leading voice in how it's run?

Seems like the kind of thing that might happen again and again. Could be health, as it is now, could be economic, could be military, could be international trade, could be cultural.

If only there was some way for the UK to be a part of a larger collective voice.

Some kind of union. With all of Europe.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

background rate of fevers is quite high, plus uneven spread of virus

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I can hear lots of applause around my neighbourhood and one man failing spectacularly to play the trombone.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I can hear lots of applause around my neighbourhood and one man failing spectacularly to play the trombone.

*checks UK time*

Yeah, OK, that's funny.

Six hours from now, not so much.

• Options
    It was a big social media campaign to do a countrywide round of applause for NHS workers, all supposed to happen at 8pm today - so no need to worry about it happening again at night.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Communication error of not thinking the public would find out them being prats behind closed doors was getting the public killed

Alternatively they were forwarding all EU mail to junk / trash as Brexit means Brexit

EU: "We're launching this scheme to try and save as many lives as possible, you in?"
    Boris: "No, we have our national pride."
    UK "WHAT"
    Boris: "Yes, we'd love to join you, that sounds like a great idea."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Maybe they worked out a deal with the scheme where our ventilators will be a different colour

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    It was a big social media campaign to do a countrywide round of applause for NHS workers, all supposed to happen at 8pm today - so no need to worry about it happening again at night.

Not gonna lie, I got chills (and yes, I participated). Nothing but love.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Can all those who clapped now please continue that support in a more concrete way and stop electing fucking Tories next time?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    51% of those people were counter-clapping for Boris and Brexit.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Not gonna lie, I got chills (and yes, I participated). Nothing but love.

The videos from the cities are crazy.

https://www.facebook.com/SJBESTSAM/videos/10163246325645125/?t=1

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

What confirms the Dyson thing as a pressure move is that there's been a loose coalition of engineering firms (a couple of F1 teams, I think a bunch of aerospace etc) quietly working together for a few weeks now on an agreed, tested design and then Dyson announces that his company is doing their own special version. As my Dad put it "He does know that he can't just make a vacuum run in reverse right?"

It's under reported but a technical consultancy who do lots of medical devices led the design work . Dyson is their manufacturing partner. That is still a major hurdle given Dyson doesn't have certification in this type of work but, as I understand it, the government are providing major handholding to help them not cock it up

This is just a combination of Dyson being great at marketing, the government trying to push out "good news" which as usual falls to pieces under casual consideration and the media not doing any research.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

(Obviously I know now it was for the NHS, as they most definitely deserve it, but my first thought upon reading this was)

0maorenkb5k1.jpeg

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    One thing I will say about this pandemic.

It highlights the utter failure of the conservative ideology of small government and personal responsibility to deal with any major crisis.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm sure they'll just argue that we don't need to fund the NHS because so many people are willing to volunteer in times of crisis

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I'm sure they'll just argue that we don't need to fund the NHS because so many people are willing to volunteer in times of crisis

Which is great and all but you can't really volenteer to be a doctor or a nurse.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Can't hear you over the sound of my ideology, sorry

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I'll tell you what, a lot of these people are volunteering their requests for government grants.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Holy shit. The BBC are reporting that Johnson has the virus.

The Prime Minister has tested positive for Corona virus. He has mild symptoms and will self-isolate in Downing Street. but he will still be in charge of the government's handling of the crisis.
    Laura is the BBC’s political editor.

Larry the No. 10 cat is okay though, right?!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    This is the most fucked up timeline.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not sure self-isolating in Downing Street would make much difference to his normal behaviour. Doesn't he just sit in an office playing Solitaire whilst Cummings does the work anyway?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gotta laugh at the reply to that tweet which asks in a stroppy why he got a test. He's the fucking PM, you dolt.

A dead PM isn't going to make this shit any easier and Dominic Raab is the guy who'd step in if Johnson keeled over so fingers crossed he's OK.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Holy shit. The BBC are reporting that Johnson has the virus.

The Prime Minister has tested positive for Corona virus. He has mild symptoms and will self-isolate in Downing Street. but he will still be in charge of the government's handling of the crisis.
    Laura is the BBC’s political editor.

Larry the No. 10 cat is okay though, right?!

straight from the horse's mouth

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Horses are pretty lean and buff, more like straight from the manatees mouth.

This discussion has been closed.