As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

Can I use the joycons as motion controllers and push/pull them for speed and steering?

They should make it LABO VR exclusive.

Control the pod racer with your FACE.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    The sequel to Bravely Default 2 will be called Bravely 2econd.

The real question is what is the II going to turn into in the final act.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The N64 version of Podracing had a hidden cheat that let you control the game with 2 controllers for what was basically a proto dual stick control scheme. I really hope they put that in. I'd be damned impressed if they could jury rig some motion sensing option, but I'll settle for split joycons to simulate the experience.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Limited Run is doing a physical version of the Panzer Dragoon Remake:

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/switch-limited-run-67-panzer-dragoon

In other news, is there no way to play with friends in Jedi Academy Switch? I'm not seeing the option.

Edit:

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Pod racer was a damn good no gimmicks, pure racing game.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I still havent gotten my damn Podracer order from Limited Run yet thanks to COVID. This is NOT podracing!

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The Bravely series' numbered games are doing what Final Fantasy does: carrying over a lot of game and setting elements, with absolute zero story connections.

We've seen this exact set of game relationships before:
    Final Fantasy X -> Final Fantasy X-2: Direct story and gameplay continuation.
    FFX/X-2 -> Final Fantasy XII: No story relation whatsoever, recycles and remixes some gameplay, concepts, archetypes, etc.

Final Fantasy IV -> The After Years: Direct story and gameplay continuation.
    FFIV/The After Years -> Final Fantasy V: No story relation whatsoever, recycles and remixes some gameplay, concepts, archetypes, etc.

Bravely Default -> Bravely Second: Direct story and gameplay continuation.
    BD/B2nd -> Bravely Default 2: No story relation whatsoever, recycles and remixes some gameplay, concepts, archetypes, etc.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    The Bravely series' numbered games are doing what Final Fantasy does: carrying over a lot of game and setting elements, with absolute zero story connections.

I'm not willing to rule out there being any connection to the previous game until I finish the game.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

FFX/X-2 -> Final Fantasy XII: No story relation whatsoever, recycles and remixes some gameplay, concepts, archetypes, etc.

FFIV/The After Years -> Final Fantasy V: No story relation whatsoever, recycles and remixes some gameplay, concepts, archetypes, etc.

BD/B2nd -> Bravely Default 2: No story relation whatsoever, recycles and remixes some gameplay, concepts, archetypes, etc.

Honestly, I'd say the naming scheme is more like what the Xenoblade games did. Xenoblade Chronicles, then Xenoblade Chronicles X, then... Xenoblade Chronicles 2. If you can wrap your head around that conundrum, you should be able to figure out this as well.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I'm not willing to rule out there being any connection to the previous game until I finish the game.

I am absolutely loving the demo. Loooooooving it. It's just so pretty, and fun, and awesome.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

Honestly, I'd say the naming scheme is more like what the Xenoblade games did. Xenoblade Chronicles, then Xenoblade Chronicles X, then... Xenoblade Chronicles 2. If you can wrap your head around that conundrum, you should be able to figure out this as well.

None of you are thinking big enough. Once Bravely Default 8 the Second comes out, they release Bravely Octopath. You have to beat all previous series to unlock the true story content.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    There's absolutely no chance Bethesda will fix the save system in BioShock Infinite as they port it to the Switch, is there?

I know people will object to my use of the word "fix" here but I don't care because the checkpoint system for what is largely an exploration-based game is fucking terrible and everyone involved in that decision should have been exiled from this planet and shipped to the moon with no bread.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't know how much like the semi-recent Kings Bounty series 2 will be, but they were pretty good for what they were. I know it isn't accurate to say HoMM lite, given that Kings Bounty lead to HoMM in the first place, but it's how they played!

Still, at least from the trailer, KB2 looks to be more medival than fantasy like the modern KB games were.

Also, they ran that shit to the ground. The expansions, pseudo-sequels, etc, all with the exact same gameplay, without much else to carry them through, just made it get to be too much after awhile. I'm not sure I ever actually played Warriors of the North, but I know I have it. It just was more of the same.

Though, KB2, for what its worth, looks like it spices things up, and all that terrain stuff should help out. Also, visually showing that units are actually squads is nice, helps to reinforce the tactical aspect and move away from the "party" visuals that the previous ones used (along with how HoMM does it).

The only true King's Bounty!

jrM8LVn.png

Actually I played Heroes of Might and Magic: Quest for the Dragon Bone Staff, the direct remake on PS2, which was also pretty good.

When people talk about King's bounty that is what I default to [I had that game on the genesis and was trying speed runs after a certain time because I knew the map that well}

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Where can you buy and import games from the UK? I need that UK Xenoblade special edition.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Man, that poor guy still can't catch a break...

Simpler times, before Silicon Valley decided normal people aren't allowed to go viral anymore. God I miss when normal(ish) folks could go viral.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    There's absolutely no chance Bethesda will fix the save system in BioShock Infinite as they port it to the Switch, is there?

I know people will object to my use of the word "fix" here but I don't care because the checkpoint system for what is largely an exploration-based game is fucking terrible and everyone involved in that decision should have been exiled from this planet and shipped to the moon with no bread.

I read your comment to my husband and he thoughtfully nodded his head and said "I agree, I agree. "

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I've been considering buying XC2. The main draw for me is the story. I don't know how to phrase this diplomatically, so... how much of the combat would y'all say is pointless filler? I'm past the point in my life when I'm willing to put up with hours of random identical battles just to unlock the next bit of story. (Yes the Blade designs are gross in aggregate; no I don't like it; can we please skip that part of the discussion since we just had it again like 3 pages ago?)

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Up until hour 30 (or end of chapter 3) the combat can become a bit of a slog. But once you gain access to everything/can equip 3 blades at a time the combat really opens up and is quite satisfying.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Crit build Rex late game is fucking monstrous and so much fun.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Up until hour 30 (or end of chapter 3) the combat can become a bit of a slog. But once you gain access to everything/can equip 3 blades at a time the combat really opens up and is quite satisfying.

It definitely takes its time getting to that point, and the tutorials could be a little better about the combos. But yeah the bulk of the game is fairly fast paced in fights because you're constantly swapping out blades to keep firing stuff or link combos.

Most areas fights are pretty easy to avoid, actually. There's some late game areas that are very much dungeons and are a bit long, but the fast travel lets you warp to landmarks within them.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »

Man, that poor guy still can't catch a break...

Simpler times, before Silicon Valley decided normal people aren't allowed to go viral anymore. God I miss when normal(ish) folks could go viral.

I'm sure he doesn't miss when he went viral.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    You know, at this rate? I'm thinking they're never going to announce a new Nintendo Direct.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Bravely Default 1 and 2 could still be connected due to how Bravely Default 1 ends
    There's multiverse of parallel worlds, it's not hard to have everything connected still via that.

But they better not fuck with Tiz and Agnes god damn it, leave those kids alone!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Wait, what?

Okay, I hereby award Bravely Default the most grammatically irritating game series ever. Both of those names imply direct sequels! Also defaulting is THE LEAST BRAVE THING YOU CAN DO IT REQUIRES ZERO EFFORT OR DECISION-MAKING A;OVRNLAKEFBM[EOARITHOQW;INM;LAKDNB'EORATJ

...if you need me, I'll be on this throne I made of Oxford commas duct-taped together.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Trying to make sense of JRPGs titles was the game all along...

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I mostly am liking the BD2 demo, but the overworld screen is sort of annoying.
    - The whole mechanic of sneaking up on an enemy or slashing them feels super chunky. The times I thought I hit with the slash move vs how many times I actually got an advantage from it in combat very much do not align. The slash is way too delayed and short on range.
    - Enemies felt FAR too aggressive. Couple that with the geometry of the mountains blocking your view and I can't tell you how many times I got into a fight with a charging wolf that I wasn't able to see because my camera was blocked.
    - Couldn't find a way to see the WHOLE map of a zone. Maybe I overlooked it. All I could find was the various mini-map zoom levels.

Game seems like it's going to be great, but I definitely did not love those few issues.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Star Wars: Episode I Racing is coming to Switch (and PS4).

This would be cool.

What would be cooler is bringing a rez’d up version of Rogue Leader. Do it, you cowards.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    - The whole mechanic of sneaking up on an enemy or slashing them feels super chunky. The times I thought I hit with the slash move vs how many times I actually got an advantage from it in combat very much do not align. The slash is way too delayed and short on range.
    - Enemies felt FAR too aggressive. Couple that with the geometry of the mountains blocking your view and I can't tell you how many times I got into a fight with a charging wolf that I wasn't able to see because my camera was blocked.
    - Couldn't find a way to see the WHOLE map of a zone. Maybe I overlooked it. All I could find was the various mini-map zoom levels.

Game seems like it's going to be great, but I definitely did not love those few issues.

Well, this is more of a beta than a demo and they're asking for feedback so make sure you give that to them.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Xcom Collection is going to be a perfect fit for the portable Switch.

Really curious on the performance. Have been wanting to play xcom2 forever, played 1 on Vita before being too bummed out with resolution/load times and just played it on laptop instead.

Don't think the old laptop will handle xcom2, so I'll happily play it on switch if the port is good enough.

This is a big concern for me as well. I put hundreds of hours into XCOM 1 on PC. I excitedly picked up XCOM 2 on PS4 (lifestyles change!), but I eventually had to give up on it. The stuttering and performance issues were abysmal, and it completely hard-locked a PS4 Pro multiple times. Polygon actually gave the PC vs console versions completely different review scores due to the performance issues.

Not saying a good port isn't possible, as other AAA releases have clearly done it. It's clearly less of a hardware issue and more of a "devs giving a shit" issue. But I'll remain skeptical until we see some reviews.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Well, this is more of a beta than a demo and they're asking for feedback so make sure you give that to them.

I didn't see anything about it being a beta or asking for feedback, so I assumed this was pretty set in stone. But if there's a way to give feedback, I gladly will!

EDIT - ah cool, apparently on the trailer they mention at the end they'll be doing a survey for feedback, so I'll keep an eye out for that.

vamen on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

I assumed the world map had a fixed camera like in BD/B2nd, then I touched the right analog stick. You can rotate and tilt the camera on the world map in BD2.

This doesn't apply to towns or dungeons.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have been trying to find out about the Vampire: The Masquerade Coteries of New York game on the switch and keep running into people talking meh about it but talking at length about Bloodlines 2

Ok all I have found it is it's a visual novel? just more and more people masturbating over bloodlines 2 though
    Still I am tempted to get it but I found this game looking around the eshop
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Puaa509M4
    Still it's a debate do I want to get the Mana game for 20 or the Vampire one or this hmm

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I've been considering buying XC2. The main draw for me is the story. I don't know how to phrase this diplomatically, so... how much of the combat would y'all say is pointless filler? I'm past the point in my life when I'm willing to put up with hours of random identical battles just to unlock the next bit of story. (Yes the Blade designs are gross in aggregate; no I don't like it; can we please skip that part of the discussion since we just had it again like 3 pages ago?)

In addition to what everyone else said, you can adjust the difficulty of the game at any time in the menu. I did that towards the end, as combat got really grindy and I just wanted to progress. The difference in difficulty is pretty staggering - encounters I was struggling with simply became cannon fodder.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

In addition to what everyone else said, you can adjust the difficulty of the game at any time in the menu. I did that towards the end, as combat got really grindy and I just wanted to progress. The difference in difficulty is pretty staggering - encounters I was struggling with simply became cannon fodder.

This. The difficulty options are super fine-grained, so you can really make the game as easy and grind-free as you want.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Also defaulting is THE LEAST BRAVE THING YOU CAN DO IT REQUIRES ZERO EFFORT OR DECISION-MAKING A;OVRNLAKEFBM[EOARITHOQW;INM;LAKDNB'EORATJ

It's more along the lines of "let it go."

This thing that you believed in so strongly? That you were sure you had to do, because it was your responsibility and so many people were relying on you to do it? It can take courage NOT to do that, when you eventually realize it might be the best course of action. Even though a lot of people might be disappointed in you, because they don't know the full reasoning behind it.

Or maybe in a different sort of context, avoiding the sunk cost fallacy. You don't have to keep going just because you've "come this far."

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Also defaulting is THE LEAST BRAVE THING YOU CAN DO IT REQUIRES ZERO EFFORT OR DECISION-MAKING A;OVRNLAKEFBM[EOARITHOQW;INM;LAKDNB'EORATJ

It's more along the lines of "let it go."

This thing that you believed in so strongly? That you were sure you had to do, because it was your responsibility and so many people were relying on you to do it? It can take courage NOT to do that, when you eventually realize it might be the best course of action. Even though a lot of people might be disappointed in you, because they don't know the full reasoning behind it.

Or maybe in a different sort of context, avoiding the sunk cost fallacy. You don't have to keep going just because you've "come this far."

Merriam-Webster says nah.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    That's...literally what I said. Failure to do something required by duty. It's your duty and you don't do it, because it turns out that's the right thing to do.

I'm talking about the phrase "bravely default" as it relates to the game, not just the one word "default."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    It's also basically called Bravely Default in Japanese, so they aren't necessarily using any real English definition of either word.