As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Bane of the Powerful is also quite nice, it has damage and toughness and it’s basically always up. Stricken is super unnecessary below gr100+.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I almost always run Bane of the Powerful since the highest content I ever do (without being carried through) ends up being like GR75.

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    The most important thing you can get after getting the set is Lakumbas (bracers, damage reduction for soul harvest stacks), then gazing demise, then The barber. after that you have a ton of options, many of which folks listed, on your way to a cookie cutter build.

really though, get the bracers, that DR is very needed on wd to do any reasonable content.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    Also the mojo can be gambled at level 1 then cubed, if anyone is stuck trying to get one

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    The most important thing you can get after getting the set is Lakumbas (bracers, damage reduction for soul harvest stacks), then gazing demise, then The barber. after that you have a ton of options, many of which folks listed, on your way to a cookie cutter build.

really though, get the bracers, that DR is very needed on wd to do any reasonable content.

Yeah, Lakumbas defense is strong enough that it makes it into like every WD build now.

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    cncaudata wrote: »

Yeah, Lakumbas defense is strong enough that it makes it into like every WD build now.

I despise Soul Harvest.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Now that it refreshes / adds to the entire stack it's not so bad. Having to be up close isn't always what you want, though, obviously.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I usually combo it with spirit walk active to be extra safe

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Don't forget the 4pc of Mundu, the damage reduction after using spirit walk.

The buff lasts 30 sec, and it's pretty easy to keep up with Grim Harvest, not to mention the invulnerability while in the spirit realm (good time to use soul harvest and keep that up, safely).

It's also, weirdly, easy to forget about it, if you're confidently going about your business and get taken off guard without having needed to spirit walk for some time.

I got to GR100 solo (I only ever play solo) earlier, and I think I'm pretty fine there. It's the highest I've ever been, and I don't feel a ton of need to go any further really. There's diminishing returns on how quickly you can farm nephalem rifts our bounties, and when things are dying at T16 in a single spell cast, there's not much further getting stronger can speed things up there.

Though I did see a mundu build that incorporated the chicken set, that I'm going to give a go sometime.

I still need to finish the journey; I think I have enough sets between my WD and Wizard now, I should be able to.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited March 2020
    Journey done. Ended up doing the boss rush and 350 kill cursed chest instead of the set ones.

Boss rush was actually pretty easy with a Mundu/chicken setup. The cursed chest was more annoying to find than to do. It was super tight either way with WD, probably much easier on other classes.

Either way, good times. Gonna chill on the D3 for a bit now that that's done.

EDIT: I think the game forgot I was eligible for primals. After the gimmie one for GR70, I didn't get a single other one. ~40 hours. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    My friend got a primal zodiac ring

I laughed and laughed

Turns out maybe that itch isn't scratched. After "gonna chill on the D3 for a bit" I ended up playing several more hours last night.

Debating continuing to try to gear up my LoD Wizard or just abandon that idea and try sets (I've got her really survivable, at T16, but her dps is pretty low so it goes slowly, switched to a hydra LoD build, but missing a key wand, and the cube is being a bitch), or finally after like a decade actually give Hardcore a look-see.

I don't know when/how folks here usually play, but if there's any activity maybe I could try to hook up for some bounty runs if anyone are doing those sometime? I assume there's still a clan? Or is there an active community? The PAF community that I am in, doesn't seem like it is used anymore.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Turns out maybe that itch isn't scratched. After "gonna chill on the D3 for a bit" I ended up playing several more hours last night.

Debating continuing to try to gear up my LoD Wizard or just abandon that idea and try sets (I've got her really survivable, at T16, but her dps is pretty low so it goes slowly, switched to a hydra LoD build, but missing a key wand, and the cube is being a bitch), or finally after like a decade actually give Hardcore a look-see.

I don't know when/how folks here usually play, but if there's any activity maybe I could try to hook up for some bounty runs if anyone are doing those sometime? I assume there's still a clan? Or is there an active community? The PAF community that I am in, doesn't seem like it is used anymore.

Yeah there is a community which we can send out an invite. Just need to have you on as well as the Inviter.

@HexDex @Noggin or I can send an invite. Just let us know when you normally play (and your in game name) so we can hook you up.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The clan is not super active now, because it tends to only be super active the first weekend, and a bit into the first week.

But I am still playing some, as is Nog and bets, and al, so we can get you added. Hanging out in PAF and then pinging someone here is probably the fastest way to get back into it, like Bets says.

Since I am WFH for the foreseeable future, I can pretty easily log in long enough to tag you if you are able to log in during the day.

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    My friend got a primal zodiac ring

I laughed and laughed

My buddy did his GR70 and got the 50% cooldown on all skills for the Scoundrel token. Oh man was he pissed.
    But not as pissed as he was a few days later when he got his second primal drop; the never die Enchantress token.

I'll likely be playing quite a bit over the next week, starting tomorrow I have ten days off work.

This week has been a bit hectic for me.... working more than 60 hours across both day and night shifts

I just wanna diablo

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thanks to the folks who help me lvl and gear up last week. Haven't been on much this week with doom and half life but finished doom and will prob be finished half life this week and ill be back on.

Ah, you have to play through the campaign on Hardcore to get higher difficulty levels. Bummer.

Ah, you have to play through the campaign on Hardcore to get higher difficulty levels. Bummer.

Not if you start on seasonal???

edited March 2020
    Al_wat wrote: »

Not if you start on seasonal???

I did. It says I can only choose up to Expert until I've completed act IV.

Either way I'm trucking along. In levels anyway. Stopped part way through act 1 to do rifts and stuff. It's rough starting without that challenge rift bag.

EDIT: If it matters, I've literally never played hardcore before today (at least that I have any recollection of, not since Diablo 2).

The Dude With Herpes on

Turns out if you just get to 70 you can up the difficulty.

I have no idea, if this character dies, if I started a new one, if they'd be stuck to Expert, or if having a 70 will keep all the difficulties open.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I have no idea, if this character dies, if I started a new one, if they'd be stuck to Expert, or if having a 70 will keep all the difficulties open.

It's an account flag, per platform. Once you've had a seasonal HC hit 70 you should be good to go after that on new toons for both the current and subsequent seasons.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited March 2020

It's an account flag, per platform. Once you've had a seasonal HC hit 70 you should be good to go after that on new toons for both the current and subsequent seasons.

Cool beans. I'm gonna do the campaign anyway, for the achievements, since I haven't done any of that on HC before. I picked female crusader, thinking the campaign was required, because I need that half of the act V ghost conversations. Oh and killing that one act IV boss while marine blue to finally finish that achievement.

Got to 70 and worked up to about T5-6ish. 6 is pushing it a tad, I've got the dps for it, but got proc'ed couple times and that's stressful.

It's funny how the exact same scenario on a normal character, where you're suddenly frozen and can't do anything, goes from being an "am I dead? I don't see a proc icon." annoyance to a heart pounding "oh god is this it? Is this where it ends?" excitement in HC. I've decided, if I'm going to keep with this HC thing some (it's fun, it changes the atmosphere and feel of the game to keep it exciting, and getting in a groove and casual makes it all the more dangerous) I'm going to do kind of what I did last season on normal, and get a set of gear that a level 1 can equip out of the gate, with as much bonus XP and vitality (i.e. level 70 cains/borns, etc) so that if I do lose a character, I can get one back up in the shortest order possible. I guess there's a larger risk here, if that character dies while leveling, but with level 70 gear stats, that should be virtually impossible. I'll just have to remove it immediately at 70.

I'm just doing LoD for the moment, no real build, crusader. Been relying on hammers, and it's gone fine, then I got a sword that buffed condemn and threw that in the cube and now my condemn is an absurd single hit elite/boss killer. Just charge in, pop it on a group of blues or minions/boss and bam, gone. I don't know if it will remain so absurd, but right now having hammers that move with me (cubed) handles all the garbage and condemn just gibs the elites. I just wish crusader steed didn't seem to get stuck on who the hell knows what, so damn often. I haven't had the issues with it, with any other classes movement abilities. It's nearly gotten me killed more than a few times.

EDIT: I forgot I got a guard of johanna right before bed. I probably shouldn't play HC after I take ambien. :lol: That turns hammers into damn near what condemn does, so that's rad. Kadala give me those bracers pls.

The Dude With Herpes on

Question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

Is the Blessed Hammer that is cast from Justice (Blessed of Haull belt) considered primary ability damage? It gets buffs from anything else you get to Blessed Hammer, but since it's cast via a primary, I was wondering if it could also benefit from things that buff primaries.

My instincts say "no."

Yeah, mine too, just thought I'd check if anyone knew for sure.

I might level the primary damage gem for shits and see if I can't determine either way.

I was using the belt for a LoD hammer build, and it was pretty fun. Then I collected a whole Light set and the damage that hammer build does is absurdly higher, and I don't think leveling the LoD would come close to making up the difference. I just don't find it as fun, so I was trying to think of ways I could get a LoD hammer build somewhere in the ballpark, even if not as strong. I'd just drop the sacred harness and falling sword from the build and replace it with justice and the blessed belt, but falling sword provides a ton of damage reduction. Though, maybe being able to play from a distance would mitigate the need for that since I wouldn't always be jumping in the middle of packs.

Something I may toy with later.

Almost lost my HC Crusader earlier in a 59 GR, guardian popped both my proc and the the champion proc. Too close! Despite having breezed through the rift before that, I must have done something dramatically wrong there, but I need some better defenses before I push further. I want to at least get GR70 on HC for primals, and I've been making sure to try to keep backups of what I'm using in case I fail. I was watching bluddshed stream yesterday and noticed he used different gear for pushing and farming. While that may seem obvious to regular players, having never done HC before, it never really occurred to me to consider that if I were to have to start over, it'd be good to have at least one quality set ready for when you reach cap. I had only been thinking about the grind of leveling again. :rotate:

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Hadn't logged anymore time on my WD Nadia till this afternoon. Was still kicking round T12 w/ full Mugdu bonus, a Harvester knife, and 2 pcs Zuni. Did 2 rifts to score some keystones and finally got a Barber, a complete Traveler's set (Compass Rose, and its amulet companion), and Kadala finally gave me the bracers with damage resistance for each stack of Soul Harvest.

After retooling my setup and upgrading a couple of things to ancients, I'm now running Gazing Demise, Voo's Juicer (combined they give Barrage effects of 4 out of 5 runes), and RoRG in the cube, my new Barber w/ FREmerald, Traveler's set with Moratoriam, Bane of Powerful, and Effecatcious Toxin, still 5pcs of Mugdu for the ridiculous barrage damage, now 3 pcs of Zuni (4 piece bonus with the RoRG, sohaving an 8 man fetish brigade is a free 24% damage reduction, along with the movement speed boost from Fierce Loyalty) and those vambraces for soul harvest.

By using soul harvest's armor boosting rune I can run without the Harvester cause Moratoriam, when combined with the 4 pcs Zuni set bonus gets me within spitting distance of what the vambraces would give me at 10 stacks of harvest.

Went from dreading anything over 12 (without Barber or a leveled Bane of Stricken guardian HP pools were arduous to whittle down) to blitzing T15 and 16 rifts like it ain't no thing and have pushed my solo rifiting up to 80 so far and barely broke a sweat doing that.

I've truly rediscovered my love for D3.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited March 2020
    RNGesus still has a sense of humor, though. My first 2 primals, a Zweihander and a freaking Helltooth Hat. Be still my beating heart.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Two primals.

Flaunt it why don't you?

Running through the campaign again for achievements and man I had forgotten how much just random extra shit there was in the campaign. All I've played is adventure mode since probably RoS came out.

And I had forgotten adventure mode came with RoS. What the hell was there to do prior? Just replay the campaign? Maybe if it weren't so laborious waiting for npc's to talk and stuff, like D2, it wouldn't seem such a slog, and that's even aiming for the speed run achievements and skipping extra stuff. I totally understand they were aiming for something more cinematic, but it seems like it kind of missed what people dug about D1/D2.

And that's all I have for a 8 year old hot take! :lol:

edited March 2020
    I technically had 2 primals, but that's only because I got the freebie from GR70 on normal and Hardcore.

However, I just got two more primals at the same time on HC. In-geom and Leorics Crown (first gimmie was a Darklight).

Hey, why not?

Also I think I might be playing too much hardcore when my half-awake brain is looking at my son doing his at-home school work and panicking that if he spells his word wrong he's going to have to start entirely over. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I guess that’s how spelling bees work

They should call them HARDCORE SPELLING

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I technically had 2 primals, but that's only because I got the freebie from GR70 on normal and Hardcore.

However, I just got two more primals at the same time on HC. In-geom and Leorics Crown (first gimmie was a Darklight).

Hey, why not?

Also I think I might be playing too much hardcore when my half-awake brain is looking at my son doing his at-home school work and panicking that if he spells his word wrong he's going to have to start entirely over. :rotate:

What's this now?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Butters wrote: »

Hey, why not?

What's this now?

First GR clear of 70 of more gives a guaranteed primal in the lootsplosion. Look for the blood red light beam.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Note that it has to be a solo GR70.

Sitting on a 500 million gold, 3K+ normal mats, 500 death's breath, and 125 forgotten souls. What class should I roll next to get enough full sets to finish conquests at get all the season journey shit?

Hydra wiz seems like it could be alright, and I've never taken a necro to 70 and have no idea what I'd be doing, but could be fun to learn.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Sitting on a 500 million gold, 3K+ normal mats, 500 death's breath, and 125 forgotten souls. What class should I roll next to get enough full sets to finish conquests at get all the season journey shit?

Hydra wiz seems like it could be alright, and I've never taken a necro to 70 and have no idea what I'd be doing, but could be fun to learn.

I'd recommend the Hydra wiz since they are fun. Unfortunately I don't know the exact details on getting optimized drops (gambling at certain levels to get guaranteed drops, etc.) or what bracers or belt you need. I do know some here know all that.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I think the new hydra set is a blast. It reminds me of the old M6, drop your hydras, let them go to town. Since it is mana based however, and you can only have 2 out at a time, you get to be a lot more mobile than the old M6 was. It is a great style to play!

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

edited March 2020
    Hydra wizard it shall be. I'll probably focus early gambling on wands to try and land a Serpent Sparker and a Magistrate hat. I've lready got Tasker and Theo cubed and conclave of elements.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited March 2020
    Early early (lvl 1) you can gamble bracers for ashnaggar’s (better absorbs)

Never ever gamble wands/weapons. It’s terribly inefficient because it costs more and there’s far too many possibilities. Use Death Breath and the Hope of Cain recipe to get weapons.

Even sources (wiz offhand) aren’t that great to go for because all the good ones are high level anyway. (Edit: but are one of the first things you SHOULD gamble for at 70)

Noggin on
    I decided to start up a HC barb for shits yesterday, got it geared up pretty fast.

I...like the LoD frenzy build better than the new set. On paper, the set has a higher potential damage range, but using LoD gives more immediate damage without needing full frenzy stacks to do so, and has the benefit of being much more flexible with other gear to provide survivability, particularly in HC. I dunno, I'm sure part of it is that I'm using mainly ancients in my LoD build vs normals in the set build, but I rarely worry about dying with LoD, and everything was nearly killing me when I used the set. This was on T14. with LoD I can easily do 16, but it just slows down to the point that it doesn't feel worth it atm (need to level up my gems more, one or two slots I can still get ancients in), but life wise I'm fine in 16. However, with the set, while fully stacked I could probably do 16, it's too risky on HC, way too much incoming damage. I could swap out echoing fury for aquilla in the cube to bring up my survivablity, I have band of might on my character to help some; and if the game would grace me with another Unity (or two, I stupidly cubed the only one I've gotten on HC), but even if I did, I'd be trading RROG for it, meaning I'd have to drop crimson, which means I'd be losing survivibility there in the tradeoff for unity. I'm sure Unity would be a flat higher DR though...but bringing down the dps might make it a wash vs just sticking with LoD to begin with. I don't know! :lol:

I'm enjoying fiddling with things, and I'm learning that HC encourages fine tuning specs a lot more than normal. On normal if it's not optimal you might lose a few seconds and get annoyed. HC, it all counts, you can't risk suboptimal stats/spec as you start climbing the ranks. I've only done up to GR75 on HC, but I know I can do higher on my barb (and probably Crusader, if I switched from the foth speed build into a HV push). For instance I spent almost all day Saturday tinkering with gear and stats to try to make a workable justice hammer build that could do T16 at least, before I figured out that I had the gear for a FoTH build that did 50x more damage. I was number crunching gems and stuff to figure out the best damage in the 10billion/hit range, and switching my build, doing 500billion normally, critting upwards of 10trillion when things aligned :rotate:

I do feel like I have a lot better view of the differing views of how sets help/hurt the game. On the one hand sets are just neat, while they can funnel everyone into one optimal build for any given set of skills, there's something nice about the built in synergy and even the simplicity to them. Not everyone can fiddle with the hundreds of legendaries to suss out what works and what doesn't, particularly when the Diablo games are notoriously bad about what stats and affixes are actually doing. If you just look at, for example, "if thing happens, do 400% weapon damage" vs "if different thing happens, do 1200% weapon damage", vs "this skill does 200% more damage" and so on, the bigger numbers aren't always bigger damage, and it is completely opaque to the average person to know exactly how damage increases stack, in what order, what ones are additive and what ones are multiplicative; and that's not even mentioning icd's of some of the affix procs and how they're not displayed anywhere, and then sometimes they are. :rotate: It's not "depth", it's just confusing and they could make it a lot clearer, so more people could enjoy it more, and have more control over their own power. So with sets, it's nice to have half your gear boiled down into a specific set of bonuses that are (usually) clear in their function, even if it isn't always clear how that will really produce something functional. But without sets, you can still sometimes put together collections of gear that compete with the set bonuses, and have a lot more control over what you're giving up/gaining in trade-offs when you're not locked into minimum 5 pieces, which locks either a ring slot or a cube slot, and can get stats that are more suited to what you're doing at any given time. But it requires knowing how a lot of different things are playing together, or at least the interest in figuring it out and doing a lot of testing.

And then there's sets like Wastes and Bul-Kathos that just gives you all the god damned damage and all the survivability and no fiddling required. :lol:

Anyway, ranting aside, Frenzy is a nice diversion, and on paper it's comparable to WW, but it takes a lot more clicking for not really much more effectiveness. WW might be boring, but it is also exhausting to constantly be clicking for frenzy. Both very effective, but I don't think the new set really provides for much in the way of interesting gameplay for barb. At least Mundu provides a pretty different way of playing WD than some other options. I haven't played the new Wizard set but it seemed like it was just another hydra build, turning what had kinda just been a LoD build into a set, so...? I know nothing about monks. Doing this weeks challenge rift was bizarre. I'm not sure if that's a "normal" playstyle for monks, but if it is, the class isn't for me. I don't know how people have the multitasking skills to pay attention to your buffs, trading off two skills, while also paying attention to whats happening in combat and being aware enough of your resource to be using the spender to make sure you're dumping enough to not have it max and fall off, without spending so much that you're being counterproductive to your dps. Sure, it only took 3 tries, and when I got it, I did it well under the time limit; but it was exhausting, and I couldn't play that way with any regularity.

I'm playing too much D3. That I know for certain. And I'm debating getting the Switch version to see if the kids would like it, since we're all home together so much more, we need more things to do that are 3+ player. I'm worried thought that I won't like it, I know the games that I'm used to playing on PC (minecraft, stardew valley, etc) playing them on console can be a chore.

This discussion has been closed.