As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Argh there's a best buy outlet store right next to me here in Lynnwood and I'm seriously eying a new TV for 400 bucks or something just to replace my ancient Phillips Flatscreen, but then I also know I need to get a murphy bed set up for my 2nd bedroom. But goddamn murphy beds are so expensive...holy crap. My friend who I got the dishwasher from has a bunch of woodworking tools. Has anyone built one of those Rockwell Murphy bed kits with any success?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hell yeah. Got two big trash cans full of winter deadfall out of my yard. I thought I was going to have to hang on to one for a week, but I got it out like fifteen minutes before the trucks rolled through.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    stupid samsung washer drain pump motor that broke after 4 years
    stupid pump motor that costs $300
    stupid covid-19 putting shipping times up to 3 weeks minimum for said pump motor
    stupid lowes reviews that lump all reviews for a manufacturer as opposed to the specific item, making it impossible to tell what's actually being reviewed
    stupid having to spend $texas on a new washing machine when the economy and my job are looking highly unstable

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I think I already talked myself out of it. As cool as it would be to have another source of my own food, getting chickens means essentially getting more pets and we already have three cats. Even if these would be outdoor pets only, they would take a lot of care. And even in the shade Texas can get insanely hot in the summer, a small coup might not really be enough to properly care for them. Plus the neighbors have a dog that barks at all hours, that would stress them out. So, sigh, probably not.

But you might have convinced me to do it. The question is what kind of coop to buy? We've got foxes and hawks around here so definitely something with a top and a bottom. Placement should be a spot that's shady in summer and sunny I winter, right?
    How many hens? I'm thinking four.

Any other thoughts?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I think I already talked myself out of it. As cool as it would be to have another source of my own food, getting chickens means essentially getting more pets and we already have three cats. Even if these would be outdoor pets only, they would take a lot of care. And even in the shade Texas can get insanely hot in the summer, a small coup might not really be enough to properly care for them. Plus the neighbors have a dog that barks at all hours, that would stress them out. So, sigh, probably not.

But you might have convinced me to do it. The question is what kind of coop to buy? We've got foxes and hawks around here so definitely something with a top and a bottom. Placement should be a spot that's shady in summer and sunny I winter, right?
    How many hens? I'm thinking four.

Any other thoughts?

Oh, if I was going to get some, I was thinking getting different types so I get different colored eggs.

For example, going on craigslist locally to see what kind of laying hens I could buy, there were some called black copper marans whose eggs look like this:

g5nkv7xqnocz.jpg

And another chicken called Silverudd's Blue that gives these kind of eggs:

hcv2ygfuw3dx.jpg

The main difficulty for me being that these ads were selling hatching eggs and not chicks, so no way to sex them before you hatch and I don't think I'm legally allowed to have a rooster within city limits even if I wanted one (I don't!), so it could involve hatching an egg and then selling or giving away any male chicks that hatch.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My sister-in-law has been raising hens for years now so she can help me figure out what to do if we get roosters 🐓

Note: my family will never forgive me if I butcher our pets so don't even suggest it. 😉

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    The main difficulty for me being that these ads were selling hatching eggs and not chicks, so no way to sex them before you hatch and I don't think I'm legally allowed to have a rooster within city limits even if I wanted one (I don't!), so it could involve hatching an egg and then selling or giving away any male chicks that hatch.

Do you have an Atwood's or similar feed store nearby? Lots of those types of places sell chicks (and other barnyard animals). No idea what breeds, though.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Do you have an Atwood's or similar feed store nearby? Lots of those types of places sell chicks (and other barnyard animals). No idea what breeds, though.

This is Texas, there are feed stores everywhere. But would I be able to get the special eggs from there, is the question!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I want to get Brahmas or Jersey Giants, because lets be honest, these fuckers are going to be as much pets as egg laying machines. Plus they don't produce a ton of eggs, so I won't be drowning in them if I get a few chickens.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I want to get Brahmas or Jersey Giants, because lets be honest, these fuckers are going to be as much pets as egg laying machines. Plus they don't produce a ton of eggs, so I won't be drowning in them if I get a few chickens.

What specifically about those breeds is pet-related? Are they more friendly?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

What specifically about those breeds is pet-related? Are they more friendly?

I'm speaking more in general to my goals in raising farm animals in that meat production or egg laying ability aren't necessarily the primary goal and I've read that Brahmas can be very friendly and docile and I like the concept of a lap chicken. Also I won't lie having a unique chicken in small numbers would be very cool.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Speaking of Laundry machines, given how old my washer and dryer are, while they are still functional, I wouldn't mind something newer and quieter (same mindset about my dishwasher honestly) if I do end up scratching up savings to get something new, what brands do you all recommend? i'm willing to pay more for bulletproof reliability and general quietness more than wingdings and looking pretty (though I wouldn't mind them in black if i'm being honest) and they'd have to be electric if it helps.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I believe the most well regarded in the reliability department are SpeedQueen, though that's a historical thing as recent reviews (and some of their corporate actions) indicate a downturn in quality.

I am personally happy with my LG front loader pair. Most brands bring out the same model dryer in gas and electric so variety there should not be a problem.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

This is Texas, there are feed stores everywhere. But would I be able to get the special eggs from there, is the question!

Looks like Tractor Supply Co has a surprisingly large range of breeds. The assorted colors one looks sort of like what you're looking for. But it doesn't look like you can just buy a specific one from them, at least online.

• Options

Looks like Tractor Supply Co has a surprisingly large range of breeds. The assorted colors one looks sort of like what you're looking for. But it doesn't look like you can just buy a specific one from them, at least online.

Well as I said I'm probably not going to be getting chickens. But if I were, these wouldn't work either since they have a 10 chick minimum and I wouldn't want more than 3-4. Craigslist works fine for farm animals, geez.

• Options
    I overlooked that it's lots of 10. Who needs 10 chickens?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

10 roosters

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Man I never realized how cheap chicks were, like 2 bucks each at the most on that website. I honestly thought about getting chickens here but in order to do so, I would basically need to turn the whole run on the side of the house in the backyard enclosed and probably have an opening leading into the garage just so they wouldn't get broiled in the heat. And even then, I don't think there'd be enough natural wildlife that they would feed on in the area I could give them access to, so I would essentially have to give them 100% chicken feed which is like bleh, what's the point.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Man I never realized how cheap chicks were, like 2 bucks each at the most on that website. I honestly thought about getting chickens here but in order to do so, I would basically need to turn the whole run on the side of the house in the backyard enclosed and probably have an opening leading into the garage just so they wouldn't get broiled in the heat. And even then, I don't think there'd be enough natural wildlife that they would feed on in the area I could give them access to, so I would essentially have to give them 100% chicken feed which is like bleh, what's the point.

You don't think they'll be able to find bugs? I don't think that's true, bugs are everywhere.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

9 roosters, 1 hen

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My nextdoor neighbor has 6 chickens. I'm in the Tampa Florida area for Heat/Humidity/Death index. They have a small coop on the other backside of the house from my property line. I have yet to Hear anything, or Smell anything chicken related. On the good news, after about 6 months? of having the chickens, I got my first dozen of eggs yesterday from them! Free! :)

edit: I don't really know much about how they take care of them. They do let them out to wander the backyard quite a bit. We live on a lake, but they have a fence and put chicken wire on it so there's not been any alligator problems. They had to chicken wire part of the fence that is between us as they were squeezing through the slats as the fence is not uhm.. a full fence? slat, missing, slat.. type of thing. Their lucky that when I let my golden out one day, that I had put a muzzle on her due to her eating grass and getting worms, because all 6 were in my backyard and Bailey took off after them like a rocket and banged a few around with the muzzle.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

You don't think they'll be able to find bugs? I don't think that's true, bugs are everywhere.

If you grow tomatoes, you can throw the hornworms to the chickens. Chickens love hornworms.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

I live in Tucson, Arizona. While there are bugs, there are not a lot of bugs that live in the ground.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

If you grow tomatoes, you can throw the hornworms to the chickens. Chickens love hornworms.

Damn, that has me on the "maybe I should get chickens" train!

• Options
    Now I want to grow tomatoes.

• Options
    Neighborhood teen has been begging me for weeks to let him mow. Texting me every day about. But we had a lot of rain and the lawn was partially flooded, so I kept saying no. Today he finally gets to mow it.

Also, lest you think I'm heartless about some poor kid needing the $20 real bad, when he first started begging I asked what he needed the money for. It was to go to the movies. Nah son, you don't need money for that.

• Options
    Well, now he certainly doesn't.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Orchard update: Peach tree has lots of baby peaches (hope they don't get scavanged this time), orange tree is heavy with blooms and baby oranges, and the entire yard smells like orange blossoms and the bees seem to love it. Lime tree doesn't have as strong a scent (you have to get right up next to the blossoms to smell them), but I think my orange is proving to be a solid wingman for all my plants getting pollinated.

My fig, pomegranate, cherry, almond, chesnut, apple, lemon trees and my grapvine and raspberry are green with no blooms. Not quite their season yet.

I've started some tomato and cucumber seeds inside but I keep forgetting about them.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2020
    I think I'm about halfway through this latest round of unpacking. Maybe even 3/4.

The problem is, the movers broke my all-purpose storage bookcase. It was a cheap junk bit of furniture and I'm not exactly sorry it's gone, but it's where I stashed pretty much all my craft and hardware clutter, and until I've replaced it I'm gonna have piles of stuff sitting around the hallway, and it's gonna bug me like hell.

Also somehow I have to throw out the old one.
    edit: I went to the city recycling page to find out if they take composite wood. Their furniture page said: "If it's in good shape, donate it! Alternatively, buy less furniture!"
    well that is incredibly unhelpful

tynic on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Geez Tynic, have you even tried simply not having broken furniture?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    You should have thought about having to throw out your furniture when you were buying furniture!

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I should have thought about it being broken in 2020 when I bought it back in 2016.

edit: goddamnit!

tynic on
  • Options
    Well have you considered buying less furniture? Maybe don't buy that foot massaging grounding mat for your welding bench.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I think I'm about halfway through this latest round of unpacking. Maybe even 3/4.

The problem is, the movers broke my all-purpose storage bookcase. It was a cheap junk bit of furniture and I'm not exactly sorry it's gone, but it's where I stashed pretty much all my craft and hardware clutter, and until I've replaced it I'm gonna have piles of stuff sitting around the hallway, and it's gonna bug me like hell.

Also somehow I have to throw out the old one.
    edit: I went to the city recycling page to find out if they take composite wood. Their furniture page said: "If it's in good shape, donate it! Alternatively, buy less furniture!"
    well that is incredibly unhelpful

I just checked the city's website again, they've updated it.

Alternatively go back in time and stop yourself from buying it in the first place.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Or buy two and have the second one shipped to future you at the new address.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    how can you not just know exactly how much and what furniture you'll need at every point in your life

smdh

• Options
    Well have you considered buying less furniture? Maybe don't buy that foot massaging grounding mat for your welding bench.

are you kidding, that's the only purchase I don't regret.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    pro-tip: buy a wood-chipper and then you'll never feel like you bought too much furniture

• Options
    this is the best suggestion yet, especially because there's very little you can't chip if you put your mind to it. I've seen Fargo.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Industrial shredders also good.