As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Baldur's Gate] BG3 from Larian is on its way!

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    If you kill him and steal his swords (Only possible through super cheesy tactics) his party will find you to take them back in BG2.

Bastards.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If you kill him and steal his swords (Only possible through super cheesy tactics) his party will find you to take them back in BG2.

Bastards.

then you
    kill them again

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Sadly, you don't get to keep them in BG2 without a mod, even if you have better gear at that point.

Because Malchor Harpell is a dick.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Sadly, you don't get to keep them in BG2 without a mod, even if you have better gear at that point.

Because Malchor Harpell is a dick.

Is that an EE change?

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    You never got to keep them in BG2, his wizard friend magics them away and there's nothing you can do about it

his weapons are pretty suck though so whatever

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Clearing older maps now, looking to finish side quests as I just dueled imomen. Got her to 7 I believe. Has 85 in traps and lockpicking. Hope that's high enough. Anyways

I should have cleared these areas earlier. THe enemies are a joke now even when I send in melees. Levels mean a lot in DnD I take it?

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Clearing older maps now, looking to finish side quests as I just dueled imomen. Got her to 7 I believe. Has 85 in traps and lockpicking. Hope that's high enough. Anyways

I should have cleared these areas earlier. THe enemies are a joke now even when I send in melees. Levels mean a lot in DnD I take it?

Level 1 is nobodies and 20 is demi-gods so... Yes?

steam_sig.png
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Level 1 is nobodies and 20 is demi-gods so... Yes?

My characters basically just hit level 4. Going through groups of enemies that would have killed me at level 1/2

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Level 5: kind of a big deal.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I just overwrote my most advanced save with a save from a different character.

I had just cleared the Ulcaster dungeon earlier and gotten 13k gold. :(

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    LMAO. I'm at some tomb, and then the whole crew turned on me. No problem lets just cast fireball.....

Nearly kill half my party and kill the quest guy.

LMAO. I'm at some tomb, and then the whole crew turned on me. No problem lets just cast fireball.....

It's funny because i know exactly what you are talking about.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2020
    Smrtnik wrote: »

It's funny because i know exactly what you are talking about.

Ok, I took the idol. Is there any way to beat this beast? I think I may have screwed myself.

*edit * Managed to beat him through cheese. Step up cast web, cast grease, initiate fight, cast fireball, cast flame arrow, let the bows rain hell with frost arrows as he slips and gets stuck. Nice xp reward, no clue what I can do with the idol though lol. Tough fight but I'm starting to understand how to use my mages.

RickRude on
    Got back on the saddle. Dynaheir is back to level 5 and cleared the 2nd area of Cloakwood.
    Spider lady says she was cursed by "Jon Icarus".

She might mean a different guy.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited April 2020
    Question: has there been a D&D game where you can have a monster party?

Say werewolves, ogres, satyrs, unicorns, dragons, etc. (with classes on top or HD growth).

Guess Planescape or Pathfinder have an undead party member here or there.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

Got back on the saddle. Dynaheir is back to level 5 and cleared the 2nd area of Cloakwood.
    Spider lady says she was cursed by "Jon Icarus".

She might mean a different guy.

Damn level 5 at cloakwood? I just took down a wyvern in the cloakwood struggling, and my party is level 4 mostly. I definately need to keep clearing areas. And go kill that stupid spider guy.

edited April 2020
    Dynaheir is a mage and takes longer to level up.

Did a little questing here and there. Killed the basilisks, explored Ulcaster's school and fought the assassin ladies in the northeast of the Nashkel mines' exit.

EDIT: The Spider slayer sword is nifty. +2 Greatsword and can cast Freedom of Movement iirc.

Problem is that having Minsc not use a shield is suicide and a pain carrying his gear back to a priest.

"Your party has been waylaid..."
    Reloads save.
    Reloads save.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

Say werewolves, ogres, satyrs, unicorns, dragons, etc. (with classes on top or HD growth).

You can have thri-kreen in the Dark Sun games. Other than that I don't think I've ever played a D&D game aside from Planescape where it gets much more exciting than half-orcs or dark elves. In addition to undead, Planescape does have a succubus.

I mean more monstrous. Like a Beholder.

NWN 2 has Okku but haven't gone back to it and finished the main campaign.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

One of the NWN official modules, Kingmaker, has party members that are a wererat, a nymph, a rakshasa, and an azer. It's a shame it wasn't particularly long.

McHoger on
    edited April 2020
    Sorry double post.

McHoger on
    Aw yeah, BG2 Enhanced Edition has a bear.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

Pathfinder Kingmaker also has a goblin companion named Nok-Nok, who I believe is best described by @Terrendos
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Nok-Nok is the character that's played by the min-maxer in your group, except the DM only let him play the absurd character he created if he played it absolutely straight.

Pathfinder goblins are a hoot. They're basically an entire race of sadistic children, who love explosions and singing horribly, and can eat just about anything. They're so popular that they got upgraded to a main ancestry for 2nd Edition (Though at the cost of having "sadistic" being replaced with merely "uncontrollable." Still infamous for their love of fire and singing though.)

Some of the things they're wanting to do in sequel, Wrath of the Righteous, sounds even more down the monster ally, like becoming a Lich and replacing your normal, living companions with ones who were actually one of your enemies... until you killed them.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I mean more monstrous. Like a Beholder.

NWN 2 has Okku but haven't gone back to it and finished the main campaign.

Mask of the Betrayer goes pretty out there in general when it comes to its NPC allies. From memory, your companions are (major story spoilers)
    Safiya, an actually-not-evil Red Wizard of Thay who swears to protect you, and is actually a person created from a distilled soul containing all the best parts of a super-old wizard woman whose death started a Crusade against the God of Death.
    Gann-of-Dreams, a uniquely super-handsome Hagspawn Spirit Shaman who spends his evenings wandering in the dreams of farmgirls to get his jollies, and is the son of a true-love union between a Hag of the Slumbering Coven, which stores dreams like a living library, and a normal man.
    Kaelyn the Dove, a Half-Celestial former Doomguard of Kelemvor and head of a group of Half-Celestial siblings all named after animals, who seeks to restart the aforementioned Crusade and convince her former god to topple the Wall of the Faithless.

AND

Okku, a god of bears who made a pact with the last owner of the spirit-eater curse to use his barrow as a prison cell to contain said curse.
    OR
    One of Many, the undead corpse of Okku that's been filled with the souls of countless thousands of criminals, murderers, and heretics of the former God of Death and is dominated by three particular spirits who trade off control and are utterly bound to serve the player. And is permanently invisible and undetectable to everyone but the player for kicks.

And that's not even getting into all the stuff the player accomplishes between NWN2 and the expansion.

edited April 2020
    Finally got to the city of Baldur's Gate.

I hi-five myself.

Now I am lost and so close turning Imoen into a mage.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited April 2020
    "Welcome to the City..."
    "... you have been poisoned."

Now explore it's horrible landscape with numerous loading screens. I get it, BG Classic is an old game.

Does the Enhanced Edition have the city as a single landscape or do you still navigate it the same way as the classic edition?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    It's still split up into different screens

at least it makes the city feel huge compared to modern games because you're only seeing a small part of it

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Don't forget the sewers have like 5 screens too.

steam_sig.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    If I recall correctly, although it's been a very long time, when you played BG with the original discs (all 5 of them), the city was split across discs and you had to swap traveling between them.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    I read about that. Hard drives were small back then.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Shapeshifter druid kit

There are mods that have a lot of fun with this

Aegis wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, although it's been a very long time, when you played BG with the original discs (all 5 of them), the city was split across discs and you had to swap traveling between them.

There was a full install option though if i remember right. That could have been bg2 though.

Aegis wrote: »

There was a full install option though if i remember right. That could have been bg2 though.

The windows 95 computer i played BG on gas a 2GB Hdd. Full install was not an option.

steam_sig.png

I hi-five myself.

What level is your iomen? I'm not to baulders gate yet but just duelled her at level 7. I feel like I did this too early but mage levels are hard . Wonder if I made a mistake. I do have coran though, the fighter thief with 20 dex.

I hi-five myself.

What level is your iomen? I'm not to baulders gate yet but just duelled her at level 7. I feel like I did this too early but mage levels are hard . Wonder if I made a mistake. I do have coran though, the fighter thief with 20 dex.

7 is the latest you can dual Imoen and still get her thief skills back in BG1. Any later and you'll be waiting till 2.

McHoger wrote: »

I hi-five myself.

7 is the latest you can dual Imoen and still get her thief skills back in BG1. Any later and you'll be waiting till 2.

Well.. not exactly, Siege of Dragonspear also does it for you (whether you want it or not).

steam_sig.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I don't love that they just put a 3x3 grid over Baldur's Gate, so that some areas are actually walled off from the rest of the screen you're on. You have to go back and forth to get to the little corners, where there is actual stuff. Luckily I think that's only in like 2 places.

I hi-five myself.

7 Thief / 3 Mage

Close to Mage 4.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

I hi-five myself.

7 Thief / 3 Mage

Close to Mage 4.

How are you getting so much xp? I feel like I'm playing this game wrong and always underleveled.

edited April 2020
    Well, I finished the Assassin quest first then I went back and killed the Wyverns in Cloakwood.

And a few Ogre Mages near the halfling village.

EDIT: Also, when you dual-class Imoen she starts as a regular Mage with a 2k/4k/10k... xp progression.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

This discussion has been closed.