As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Distance] - Sexy Car Commercial Simulator 2016. Make tracks and share them!

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
Hey you!

Have you ever wished driving your car was like driving it in a needlessly artsy car commercial? Random, dark, moody, sexy. You know the ones. Not that one.

I was thinking more like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IWDTeuukfc

Distance is a Steam Early Access game by Refract Studios, from members of Team Nitronic. It is primarily an online based arcade survival racer, in which you must use pseudo-physics, reaction time and wits to navigate challenging, hazardous courses. There are no weapons, only four abilities, and only three kinds of hazards. But with these tools, races can get intense. The soundtrack is produced by the devs, providing that dark, moody electronica that gives it that adds to that car commercial vibe.

Abilities
1. Unlimited Boost: Hold A to boost until the point at which your car would overheat. Performing stunts and passing through checkpoints gives you cooldown. There are usually many checkpoints so this should not be an issue.
2. Jump: X button
2. Flight: Certain tracks and areas will give you a cue when your car can open its door like wings and start flying, which also can overheat your car. Passing through rings, or simply turning flight off can cool you off mid-flight
3. Thrusters: This is the trickiest, most advanced ability. Unlike F-Zero, your car does not automatically stick to walls for fantastic loops without momentum, and therefore the short campaign is a necessary tutorial. Hold LB to activate thrusters that force your car downward. This is a critical skill to master in the tutorial campaign. For example, if the road ends and a new wall-road is to the right, you will not automatically cling to the wall when jumping. You must jump, twist your car counter-clockwise, then hold LB until you are on the new road, and boost until you have the speed to stick to it.

There are only three kinds of hazards. Walls for crashing enjoyment, pits, and lasers, which can slice your car to ribbons but still allow you to boost and coast to a checkpoint to fully regenerate your car.

Multiplayer and Online:
The game is primarily multiplayer. There's both splitscreen and online Arcade mode in which up to six racers can race on a track, and a variety of modes I have not tried yet. However, a key feature of Distance is the track editor, in which its online community has produced 1600 tracks. Upon playing one of these tracks, you can upvote or downvote it, although I wish I could provide better feedback. I had to downvote the first track I played, because its tunnels were too dark, and the player seemed to have forgotten that cars don't stick to roads. It had upward hills that sent cars flying at the apex (nothing some downward thrusting can't fix.) I have not tried the editor but Steam reviews seem to gush about its capability, so I'm sure there are some phenomenal tracks out there.

Also, the game has VR capability, but I have not tested this.

Fahrvergnügen

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767