As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Squad sub leaders!

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    element damage beats crit boost on critical element setups, since crit element doesn't benefit from crit boost iirc. resentment and peak performance are probably around attack boost 4 tier, but require being able to maintain their uptime. coalescence is a really strong DPS skill too that gets overlooked but it's again conditional.

wex, crit boost, and crit eye are the holy trinity of raw weapons. you got those, you're at least doing okay damage. that's my baseline for even defensive or gimmicky setups.

One reason to like full Safi beta armour is you get crit boost 3, evade window 3, and the equiv of cri eye 7. Plus status and elemental up as well. And even some blight Res, which is nice (I leave it at 2 and socket in coalescence)

If you can do without masters touch, it's a damn fine set. Though I suspect I'll switch to 3 piece Safi/2 piece raging once Raging Brachydios is out, because agitator 7 *drool*

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    element damage beats crit boost on critical element setups, since crit element doesn't benefit from crit boost iirc. resentment and peak performance are probably around attack boost 4 tier, but require being able to maintain their uptime. coalescence is a really strong DPS skill too that gets overlooked but it's again conditional.

wex, crit boost, and crit eye are the holy trinity of raw weapons. you got those, you're at least doing okay damage. that's my baseline for even defensive or gimmicky setups.

Yeah, about the only thing that boosts elemental crits is going to be Velk's 2-piece.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Yeah, about the only thing that boosts elemental crits is going to be Velk's 2-piece.

AFAIK the elemental part of your damage doesn't crit at all without either Velkhana 2-piece or the much superior Silver Rathalos 4pc giving them crit multipliers. If Crit Boost doesn't affect it even with those set bonuses then yeah heavily elemental builds definitely want the full rank 7 for their element before crit boost.

...assuming any of it's worth it on your weapon, since Velkhana and Silver Rathalos bonuses give different weapons different elemental crit multipliers, so some weapons are still not great at going all-in on elemental even with that.

Kamar on
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I have been baffled by your focus on Sharpness, so I hopped on over to Fextra to have a look.

Welp.

That, uh, changes things.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I have been baffled by your focus on Sharpness, so I hopped on over to Fextra to have a look.

Welp.

That, uh, changes things.

Yeah, the multiplier on sharpness is immense. This is part of why Master's Touch is so damn GOOD (I'm not a fan, but that's more to do with Teo gear being kinda shitty outside of master's touch). Easily mainting purple/white sharpness is a Big Deal, especially if you've got an otherwise good weapon that only has a narrow band of purple.

If you're dropping below white, you are loosing huge amounts of damage. - puprle is a 1.39x raw multiplier, White is 1.32x, Blue is 1.2x. Green is a cruddy 1.05x. (There's also seprate elemental modifiers, worth considering if you use elemental weapons). Do note that's for raw damage - some things like gunlance shells are not effected by your sharpness multiplier except for specific circumstances. but in general, sharp = very good most mandatory.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Thanks all. Gave me a lot to work towards and understand now. On to Velkhana!

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    man i saw a safi's shattercrusher (blast hammer) just once and i didn't take it early when the siege started. Haven't seen it since T_T

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Thanks all. Gave me a lot to work towards and understand now. On to Velkhana!

Thankfully, as a glaive user, Velkhana should be next to trivial for you and it almost won't matter what skills you bring. For Velk, pretty much the core is to bring 3/3 Ice Res, 3/3 Health Boost, 3/3 Divine Blessing....and that's all that's really needed. Might want 1 or 2 in Steadfast on those off-chances you get hit and stunned, but, really, if you have more decoration slots after the core 3, fill in with whatever your heart desires.

That crap first set of armor I posted about up above? Yeah, that was what I was wearing for Velkhana...and I kept wearing it up until I made Velk helm, chest, and leggings.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

Thankfully, as a glaive user, Velkhana should be next to trivial for you and it almost won't matter what skills you bring. For Velk, pretty much the core is to bring 3/3 Ice Res, 3/3 Health Boost, 3/3 Divine Blessing....and that's all that's really needed. Might want 1 or 2 in Steadfast on those off-chances you get hit and stunned, but, really, if you have more decoration slots after the core 3, fill in with whatever your heart desires.

That crap first set of armor I posted about up above? Yeah, that was what I was wearing for Velkhana...and I kept wearing it up until I made Velk helm, chest, and leggings.
    Cool / good to know. Just jumped around a lot?

As for decorations, I have like 7 total decorations that are all over the place.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think I'm giving up on trying to gun in MR. I just tried a Rathalos with heavy bowgun and it resulted in my first triple cart of the game, by like minute 38, while a CB around the same upgrade level had it limping by like minute 15. The difference in weakpoints is just too large. With a slashing weapon, hitting anything except the upper leg or the wing seems to be orange damage. With the gun, any shot that does not directly impact the head is grey.

Steam ID: Right here.
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Cool / good to know. Just jumped around a lot?

As for decorations, I have like 7 total decorations that are all over the place.

Yeah. Most of the attacks are either parallel to the ground or are stabbing at it at a sharp downward angle. As long as you're over the head of Velk, there's only a couple attacks that can hit you (and one of them is pretty heavily telegraphed which side of its body to avoid, while the other one is negated just by being mobile).

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'm giving up on trying to gun in MR. I just tried a Rathalos with heavy bowgun and it resulted in my first triple cart of the game, by like minute 38, while a CB around the same upgrade level had it limping by like minute 15. The difference in weakpoints is just too large. With a slashing weapon, hitting anything except the upper leg or the wing seems to be orange damage. With the gun, any shot that does not directly impact the head is grey.

The LBG/HBG confuse me as well, I just see people dishing out crazy damage so I try it myself and I feel like I did everything correctly, and still take much longer to finish a fight than I do with my melee builds.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Heavy Bowgun mainly falls into two categories.

-Spread ammo. Where you just slam 10 pellets doing 25 damage each into the monster over and over and over. Even if you're hitting a crappy part and only doing 15 per pellet, that still adds up.
    -Sticky ammo. Explosion damage doesn't crit, and it doesn't care about weak points so it doesn't matter where you shoot it. But ideally you aim for the head, and the monster just spends the whole time knocked on the ground.

But the stats are really important. It's one thing to have a spread gun with recoil+3 that has 4 shots and fires every 2 seconds. It's another to have one with recoil+1 and 8 shots, firing every 0.5 seconds.

It's a lot better near the end when you can finally get all the proper tools to play with. Playing through MR though with the massive HP jump it takes, yeah it can be really rough. Like sticky ammo isn't all that worth it until you can get the proper armor and skills to boost its damage, since it's otherwise just flat damage and doesn't crit.

Try a LBG. That's what I mainly used for the game. The Nargacuga LBG has rapid fire pierce 2 (1 shot = 3 bullets fired). The Nargacuga armor has piercing shot and the spareshot skill. And the new evading reload mod means even though it only has 2 shots, there's very little downtime reloading. Just keep firing down the longest and thickest part of the monster.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    For Safi Gunlances, can you change their shell type through the awakening perks?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    man i saw a safi's shattercrusher (blast hammer) just once and i didn't take it early when the siege started. Haven't seen it since T_T

Safi's reward screen is programmed to favor whatever type of weapon you have equipped when you claim your prizes. If you're not running hammer during your sieges, just swap over to a hammer after the siege ends. May help get that hammer back to you.

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    You can effectively pierce HBG *most monsters through iceborne story. It isn't meta but a decent build is pretty "comfy" IMHO (that being you dont have to swap gear around a lot between hunts). Bonus when you unload an entire clip of wyvernheart onto a tenderized zone.

*some few monsters are horrible type matchups for pierce.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    For Safi Gunlances, can you change their shell type through the awakening perks?

Yes. By default they are normal 5, but with a perk it can change the type and also adds 2 levels.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

Yes. By default they are normal 5, but with a perk it can change the type and also adds 2 levels.

Ok, rad, I threw some dracolite at a Safi GL and just kept getting Normal and wanted to make sure I wasn’t wasting it trying to get Wide

Annnnd Safi is gone now, bummer, I need more dracoliiiiite

But a ton of events are back so that’s fun!

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Ok, rad, I threw some dracolite at a Safi GL and just kept getting Normal and wanted to make sure I wasn’t wasting it trying to get Wide

Both of the Raging Brachy and Furious Rajang GLs are Wide 7, so you can go for those.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    navgoose wrote: »
    You can effectively pierce HBG *most monsters through iceborne story. It isn't meta but a decent build is pretty "comfy" IMHO (that being you dont have to swap gear around a lot between hunts). Bonus when you unload an entire clip of wyvernheart onto a tenderized zone.

Not been my experience, as said. Trying to pierce 2 the shit out of Rathalos resulted in my first actual triple cart in the entire game, because basically everything except the head seems resistant to shots so it was a lot of 3s and 4s except when the bullet goes through a small tenderized area.

navgoose wrote: »

Not been my experience, as said. Trying to pierce 2 the shit out of Rathalos resulted in my first actual triple cart in the entire game, because basically everything except the head seems resistant to shots so it was a lot of 3s and 4s except when the bullet goes through a small tenderized area.

pierce is typically best on long monsters with huge hit boxes and poor hit zones (brute wyverns, mostly). rathalos is not good for pierce, but is good for spread and normals (the face)

or just do sticky 3 ammo, and ignore all hitzones

Yeah, but given Rathalos literally never lands unless you force him to, and it weaves around so much, reliably hitting a majority of normal shots on the small head is significantly harder than just poking at his feet with a charge blade until he flinches out of the sky!

As for spread, it's funny, I never seem to get much use out of spread, whether heavy or light bowgunning. I guess I need to find a good gun with low recoil on spread shots, because most of the ones I have have murder recoil on spread shots and it kills the dps something fierce.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Good lord, safi's weapon are like... napalm to the old monsters.

I can run -
    Widerange 5
    Crit eye 7
    WEX/Partbreaker/CritBoost - 3
    divine blessing - 5

with room for flare (ele def/ blast up/ vitality / mushrommmancer/ attack up)

Teostra and Golden rath (2) set bonus.

And say I'm not wanting to be support? Agitator 5 ez.

are we in some monster arms race I am not aware of?

https://honeyhunterworld.com/mhwbi/?1934,246,250,230,244,244,81,att:1;health:1-;;;;-at5;at5;at6;af5;1mah,0,0,331,0,0,325,0,0,158,19,30,325,90,0,399,90,0,318,16,16,5:3:1:211:302:131:5

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Yeah, but given Rathalos literally never lands unless you force him to, and it weaves around so much, reliably hitting a majority of normal shots on the small head is significantly harder than just poking at his feet with a charge blade until he flinches out of the sky!

As for spread, it's funny, I never seem to get much use out of spread, whether heavy or light bowgunning. I guess I need to find a good gun with low recoil on spread shots, because most of the ones I have have murder recoil on spread shots and it kills the dps something fierce.

I guess I'm just enured to monster movement patterns at this point so it doesn't bother me on the movement. Different monsters require different guns and ammo... there's almost no one stop shop (except zinogre/stygian zinogre/safi burstcannon HBGs kills 95% of everything)

spread: yian garuga for lbg (spread 3, evade reload), zinorge for HBG (spread 3, can even go full tank with 3 shield mods and guard charm). if not at end game, velkana or jyuratodus for LBG (spread 2, one is rapid fire and one is single fire)

post that, safi frostshot for spread 2, safi drakshot for spread 3 (both LBGs), safi burstcannon hbg for spread 3 (direct upgrade to zinogre)

for modding guns, you want to get recoil to +1 or +2 (+1 means you fire much faster), and reload to normal or better. if not, use evade reload mods and get used to evade reloading.

Someone posted this here, I can't remember who, but you can make extra dracolite by upgrading any Safi weapons you have to level 7 awakening, and then going to the elder melder to turn them into dracolite. You only need to upgrade a weapon twice to do so, sometimes you get lucky and it goes to 7 with a single upgrade.

They will give you two large dracolites, so you're getting more than what you put into the upgrade.

Naphtali wrote: »

Both of the Raging Brachy and Furious Rajang GLs are Wide 7, so you can go for those.

I doubt I will ever take out Raging Brachy. That fight blows

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Well started to get the hang of the clutch claw though I wish there was an indicator of weakened parts (or at least one I knew of)
    Need to look up early things to work for. Currently running a metahemoth HR set with empress Styx SnS.

camo_sig.png
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    mts wrote: »
    Well started to get the hang of the clutch claw though I wish there was an indicator of weakened parts (or at least one I knew of)
    Need to look up early things to work for. Currently running a metahemoth HR set with empress Styx SnS.

Should have, like, white...lines on it? Also, in groups your character will announce via one of the customizable chat things, something about wounding...maybe "I've wounded a part" or something like that? I forget the phrasing except that I'm pretty sure it uses 'wound' instead of one of the other terms people use interchangeably (tenderize, soften, weaken, etc).

Kamar on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

Should have, like, white...lines on it? Also, in groups your character will announce via one of the customizable chat things, something about wounding...maybe "I've wounded a part" or something like that? I forget the phrasing except that I'm pretty sure it uses 'wound' instead of one of the other terms people use interchangeably (tenderize, soften, weaken, etc).

Iabit different than the broken part look or is it on the reticle?

camo_sig.png

Iabit different than the broken part look or is it on the reticle?

It'll be both:

Appearance will be the section having white streaks on the rended area monster part.
    Damage numbers will have glowing dots along the corners of the number if you're hitting a weakened part.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So, my GF reached Master Rank tonight.

We did up to Banbaro so she'll catch up to me soon.

it's funny. She's pretty decent at the game. Like, the fights against Beotodus and Banbaro went really smoothly, much smoothlier than i expected.

But she didn't even know about tools until, well, i asked if she used them after our Banbaro hunt. I'm pretty sure she doesn't even know there's palico tools other than the Vigorwasp and she doesn't like does expeditions cause it's complicated to do them together.

At least she started doing clutch claw attacks tonight and that's damn useful since she has a HBG and i'm using the obviously light Gunlance.

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Pierce bowgunning needs ballistics especially solo. That will fix most of the gray damage numbers as you can't always be in proper range Solo. It's best to maintain firing slowly working towards optimum angles and ranges.

And IMHO the raths are not ideal pierce targets but they are far from the worst.

Edit: in case I wasn't clear before I'm talking about pierce HBG as a means to progress story content in iceborne. I've done it with good clear times. It is pretty easy to get a comfy setup and not have to switch guns like an element HBG.

navgoose on

Strange.... mine says “STRIP THE FLESH SALT THE WOUND”

So yeah, it does have “wound” in it

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    I forgot how much fun Gunlance is between full bursts, wyvernstakes, wyvernblasts, and now that alternate stake that explodes more with your explosions, plus I’m using a Safi blast lance

https://youtu.be/cdbex7bVUHo

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Finally had my first real fights against Raging Brach, and wow, he does not play around, many surprises to be had.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    It took a team full of Safi' weapons, but I finally scored the layered Drachen armor

Narbus on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    It took a team full of Safi' weapons, but I finally the layered Drachen armor

Sekirocheated.jpg

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    I’ve tried Extrememoth several times and haven’t beaten it. It seems like the main issue is Eclipic Meteor. There’s barely any time to get to cover, so several hunters cart in the first and second areas. Is there something I’m missing? Do we just need to keep the fight closer to the Comet?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    I’ve tried Extrememoth several times and haven’t beaten it. It seems like the main issue is Eclipic Meteor. There’s barely any time to get to cover, so several hunters cart in the first and second areas. Is there something I’m missing? Do we just need to keep the fight closer to the Comet?

yeah, the tank needs to try to keep behemoth near the comet, but not so close that he'll shatter it.