As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Anyone have recommendations for solid overhead camera rigs? As this drags on if like to do video play with friends but I want to make sure the board is legible.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for solid overhead camera rigs? As this drags on if like to do video play with friends but I want to make sure the board is legible.

Seconded, for curiosity.

Some friends and I used Tabletopia for the first time Friday night and played Everdell together. I can see why that game was so popular, very cool once your get into it.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So is Cthulhu- Death May Die just a slightly tweaked The Others?

MrBody on
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    My gaming associate just dangled a webcam from the chandelier over his table

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I am using my iPhone camera, with a microphone stand that has a spring clamp. I start a Zoom meeting on my laptop so there is a camera on my face and I can see people, then join the same meeting on my phone which then provides the overhead board view. Because of the stand I can adjust the viewpoint in lots of different ways. It works very well.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-72010-tripod-mic-stand-with-boom
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/musicians-gear-clip-type-microphone-holder

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    So is Cthulhu- Death May Die just a slightly tweaked The Others?

That's what people keep saying but having played both I don't agree. You have to KNOW the game to win at The Others, CDMD is basically an auto co-op game but still really fun.

They do have some similarities like...oh...ya know, all Eric Lang's games.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The Frosthaven (Gloomhaven standalone, ice-themed sequel) kickstarter is live now. $100 for the box or up to $240 for the box with some standalone scenarios, reusable stickers, a Broken Token organizer, and upgraded metal coins.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    The Frosthaven (Gloomhaven standalone, ice-themed sequel) kickstarter is live now. $100 for the box or up to $240 for the box with some standalone scenarios, reusable stickers, a Broken Token organizer, and upgraded metal coins.

It's tempting, but I haven't touched Gloomhaven yet (it's potentially next on the list after we finish Clank Legacy). And you really need an insert like the Broken Token one to manage that kind of game in a reasonable fashion. Sadly, it doesn't seem like the best time to be dropping up to $200 on a board game. :(

I do love the seasons and ability to build up Frosthaven as a city, though. Those features seem like they'd help pull you into the narrative/adventure more.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    . Sadly, it doesn't seem like the best time to be dropping up to $200 on a board game. :(

yea, this is a rough time to launch a $100-200 kickstarter

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Topically, I pulled the trigger on buying something from my FLGS today, since I used to work there and still play games with the owner weekly (you know, minus quarantine time, but even a bit online the last few weeks). I've been trying to pick out something to buy for a week, but I just don't need any more games, and - again - obviously less so now with the physical inability to play them. I settled on the expansion for Food Chain Magnate. Did you know it's the same price as the base game? Tee-hee. For those curious about how that translates with exchange rates and supporting brick-and-mortar, that came to $195.50 CDN after tax. :P

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    . Sadly, it doesn't seem like the best time to be dropping up to $200 on a board game. :(

yea, this is a rough time to launch a $100-200 kickstarter

It is set-up so you can put $1 down now and before the end of the yearish (no firm time yet) increase it to be able to buy the game which is nice at least. Or maybe standard. I will be honest I so my best to avoid Kickstarter most of the time. It does say something about the game that it has absolutely exploded despite the current economic woes.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It’s a bad time to be launching a board game Kickstarter but it’s probably an equally bad time to not launch the board game Kickstarter that you’ve been planning.

admanb wrote: »
    It’s a bad time [...]

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Given how quickly it got funded and kept crawling up in real time it seems this was still an okay time for Frosthaven to launch

Presumably the full on sequel to the #1 rated game on BGG is going to do pretty well on Kickstarter no matter what else is going on in the world.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Apparently it's not an April Fools joke!

The new Diplomacy tile doesn't have anything on it marking it as an errata or new version...

... But the new techs do have a symbol marked "Omega" on them.

Edit:

Vanilla Diplomacy -

(2) Choose 1 system other than the Mecatol Rex system that has a planet you control; each other player places a command token from his resources in the chosen system. Then, ready each exhausted planet you control in that system.
    Secondary: Spend 1 token from your Strategy Pool to ready up to 2 exhausted planets.

Revised Diplomacy -

(2) Choose 1 system other than the Mecatol Rex system that contains a planet you control; each other player places a command token from their reinforcements in that system. Then, ready up to 2 exhausted planets you control.
    Secondary: Spend 1 token from your strategy pool to ready up to 2 exhausted planets you control.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Someone in my Gloomhaven group already backed it and it’s exciting but there is SO MUCH more Gloomhaven content we still have.

can you feel the struggle within?
    i backed it and i don't even like gloomhaven

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

*DonaldSutherlandPodPeople.gif*

But no, I'm letting the guy who got into it enough to buy his own separate copy get Frosthaven.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I think at this point we're assuming that you back all Kickstarters unless you explicitly state otherwise

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I think at this point we're assuming that you back all Kickstarters unless you explicitly state otherwise

Roll 1d6. On a 1-5 Pink backs the Kickstarter. On a 6, they back the Kickstarter but hate it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

this is a good practice

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I'm in for $140 on Frosthaven, no hesitation. Gloomhaven has easily been the best tabletop value for my play group, and still holds our interest after we beat the main scenario and started working through the expansion. I've found the box "good enough" to not need the broken token insert; instead we put all the enemy tokens and cards in baggies and store them in a separate box.
    I'm on the fence about the extra $1 to smash a slime in my name. I really hate those things.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    I'm in for $140 on Frosthaven, no hesitation. Gloomhaven has easily been the best tabletop value for my play group, and still holds our interest after we beat the main scenario and started working through the expansion. I've found the box "good enough" to not need the broken token insert; instead we put all the enemy tokens and cards in baggies and store them in a separate box.
    I'm on the fence about the extra $1 to smash a slime in my name. I really hate those things.
    This begs for a race-to-the-bottom "$2 to save a slime" option. :P

Apparently it's not an April Fools joke!

The new Diplomacy tile doesn't have anything on it marking it as an errata or new version...

... But the new techs do have a symbol marked "Omega" on them.

I assume it's a change that's coming in print in that TI4 expansion they hinted at a while back. But since everything got pushed back and there's literally nothing coming out for the next month or so, they probably pushed it out as a little something for people to play with while sheltering up.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Apparently Target is running buy two, get one on board games (and video games). There is mountains of garbage, but a few real games. I'm considering Villainous. Anyone have opinions about Horrified?

Horrified is pretty fun if you're looking for a family weight coop game. I love the theme, the gameplay was fine. I played it maybe 5 times and traded it away.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Fry wrote: »
    Apparently Target is running buy two, get one on board games (and video games). There is mountains of garbage, but a few real games. I'm considering Villainous. Anyone have opinions about Horrified?

I'd take a look at the Red Raven stuff they carry, like Above and Below, if you haven't tried those yet. They're pretty solid games.

A lot of what isn't unremarkable is stuff those hanging out in here will have played already.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Madpoet wrote: »

What do you think about the expansion? I'm suddenly hearing LOTS of bad stuff about it.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

Much as the presence of the license might convince you otherwise, Villainous is a solid game even if you're not into the theme.

Horrified was good enough but it didn't really feel like it had anything distinguishing it from other co-op games? Nothing to mitigate Pandemic-style ( :? ) alpha-player syndrome.

Looking through the list:
    Just One is fantastic. Codenames/Codenames Pictures is also excellent, as is Coup. Classics like 7 Wonders and Galaxy Trucker if you don't already have them. Terraforming Mars is on there and is one of my current favorites.
    Welcome to the Dungeon is fun, maybe overstays its welcome a bit in an individual session (they usually feel like they're about one run too long?)
    Mysterium is a neat concept but it really shines at like 6 or 7 people and you probably aren't isolated with that many people. Same for Dark Moon, which feels a lot like a light version of Battlestar Galactica (unsurprisingly since that's how it started its development life.)
    The Funkoverse battlers are decent, I don't know if I'd pay MSRP for them but on a sale, sure. Ditto the Hogwarts deckbuilder.
    I haven't had a chance to play Planet or Photosynthesis yet but my wife played them at PAXU and enjoyed them enough that we picked up copies.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    My wife right now:

unj9k03mspmf.jpg

But seriously, she's amazing. Without question she put Sagrada, Villianous, and Evolution into the cart. I'm the luckiest man in the world!

FFG is showing of The Rise of Red Skull, the first campaign of Marvel Champions.

One of the heroes is Clint Barton, Hawkeye. (The other is Spider-Woman).

I'm sure more will get posted later, but I am falling in love with Hawkeye's flavor text.

ERV6Smgh.jpg

Article's up.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/4/2/the-rise-of-red-skull/

And with it comes the next wave of speculation!

mc11-15_a1_diagram.png

There's some cool stuff in here. More character-specific mats, a new 2-4 player scenario mat featuring the excellent box art of this expansion, and.. well.. cards. Lots of cards.

mc10en_a1_cardfan.png

For the record, the villains are:

Crossbones
    Taskmaster
    Absorbing Man
    Zola
    Red Skull

The heroes are:
    Hawkeye (Clint Barton)
    Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)

This does prove that Nemesis Villains can have their own packs (Taskmaster is Black Widow's Nemesis Villain), and Signature Allies can eventually become full on Heroes (Spider-Woman is Ms. Marvel's Signature Ally).

So yeah. Good first year of the game! Cannot wait for Black Widow, Dr. Strange, and Hulk.

... and I really, REALLY hope that is Rogue being teased up there. Heroes are teasing their alter-ego forms.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    On April Fools Day, Five24 games teased their new Mint game:

9rbf3js71eph.jpeg

Best comment was someone saying they’d have to make it now based on consumer pressure.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited April 2020
    They've shown Iron Man/Tony Stark as an ally in someone's pack, so it's not surprising to me that Clint and Spider Woman can go the other direction. Nice to see Taskmaster get some love, though.

Fry on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    ERV6Smgh.jpg
    Nobody:

Thor and Iron Man:

cdUB7Io.jpg

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    On April Fools Day, Five24 games teased their new Mint game:

Best comment was someone saying they’d have to make it now based on consumer pressure.

this is gonna sound pissy but we would be better off if people didn't treat feminine-coded things (pink, dancing) as jokes.

Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Horrified is pretty fun if you're looking for a family weight coop game. I love the theme, the gameplay was fine. I played it maybe 5 times and traded it away.

Yup. My exact impression. Also I was perfectly fine selling it once we had played all the monsters once.

PMAvers wrote: »

Yeah those 3 cards were the worst picks in the game and badly needed buffs.

Now let's talk about ditching tech based objectives...