As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Ugh, this is disappointing.
    The VG247 review – A step backwards 3/5
    Eurogamer – “The Resident Evil 3 remake, like the original upon which it is based, is inferior to its predecessor.”
    PC Gamer – 58/100
    PCGamesN – 7/10
    USGamer – 3.5/5
    IGN – 9/10
    GameSpot – 6/10
    Techradar – 4.5/5
    The Verge – “It feels more like an expansion to 2 than an entirely new game.”
    Polygon – “Capcom’s latest remake is once again excellent, but safe and short.”
    Ars Technica – “What we are left with is a game that concludes at the 6.5-hour mark with little incentive to retread.”
    Cnet – “…it doesn’t offer the same value as the second game’s remake.”
    At this point I assumed Resident Evil 3 would be one long, tense game of cat and mouse against a dynamic and unpredictable enemy. But, sadly, this is far from the case. That first run-in with the Nemesis is not only more scripted than it first appears, but basically a one-off set-piece in disguise. And for the remainder of the game the creature is promptly relegated to cutscenes and pedestrian boss battles, which is deeply disappointing.

OpenCritic's giving it an average of 82 currently, but the individual reviews are all over the place. Definitely disappointing; I was hoping this would be more on par with RE2's remake.

Burnage on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    OpenCritic's giving it an average of 82 currently, but the individual reviews are all over the place. Definitely disappointing; I was hoping this would be more on par with RE2's remake.

It coming so soon after RE2 should've been a red flag.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

As mentioned, I have a terrible memory, but I certainly don't remember RE3 being a better game back in the day than RE2/1. This seems unsurprising going just off gameplay. Still I was never going to get this for the single player campaign, and am hopeful for the multiplayer.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    You can't make a good horror game without uncertainty anymore. Capcom should know better.

I'll still play it because I got it on the cheap via GMG.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    All of those reviews basically sounds like reviews of OG RE3. A good game that comes after a great game, maybe a bit short, feels more like a side story than a full thing, etc.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Eurogamer – “The Resident Evil 3 remake, like the original upon which it is based, is inferior to its predecessor.”
    PC Gamer – 58/100
    PCGamesN – 7/10
    USGamer – 3.5/5
    IGN – 9/10
    GameSpot – 6/10
    Techradar – 4.5/5
    Ars Technica – “What we are left with is a game that concludes at the 6.5-hour mark with little incentive to retread.”
    At this point I assumed Resident Evil 3 would be one long, tense game of cat and mouse against a dynamic and unpredictable enemy. But, sadly, this is far from the case. That first run-in with the Nemesis is not only more scripted than it first appears, but basically a one-off set-piece in disguise. And for the remainder of the game the creature is promptly relegated to cutscenes and pedestrian boss battles, which is deeply disappointing.

It looks to be exactly like RE2’s remake, which tracks with RE3 being exactly the same as RE2, for better or worse

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    OK Capcom, can we move on to Dino Crisis remakes next?

No wait, remake the entire Ace Attorney series in the RE2make/RE3make engine.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I loved the demo of RE3. If the entire game maintains that level of fear, exploration, and action I'll be a very satisfied customer.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »

As mentioned, I have a terrible memory, but I certainly don't remember RE3 being a better game back in the day than RE2/1. This seems unsurprising going just off gameplay. Still I was never going to get this for the single player campaign, and am hopeful for the multiplayer.

From what I remember, RE2 was always the superior game, but RE3 had Nemesis, and him chasing you through certain areas and the story decisions you could make made RE3 stand out on its own. The RE3Make sounds like it is ditching a lot of the levels from the original, like the clock tower, the decision making is gone, and Nemesis doesn't actually chase you outside of scripted scenes and is more of a glorified boss rather than the Xenomorph in Isolation.

• Options
    RE3 was the game rushed out of the door using the RE2 assets and engine because the latter was such a ridiculous breakout hit.

I'm upset that Nemesis isn't as much of a threat to many, and as someone who never played but has watched the original, the decision-making had me curious, but I'll wait to play it myself before figuring out any impressions.

• Options
    All of those reviews basically sounds like reviews of OG RE3. A good game that comes after a great game, maybe a bit short, feels more like a side story than a full thing, etc.

It's partly this but some of the problem seem very particular to the remake.
    After RE2's remake expanded the role of Mr. X and the extra Hunk/Tofu bonus modes from the original game, it's very disheartening to hear that Nemesis seems like a downgrade and that they've apparently removed the Mercenaries mode entirely. It's almost certainly going to leave 3 feeling very barebones in comparison to both 2's remake and the original 3.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I felt like something was up ever since the RE3make art leaked revealing Nemesis with that goofy crooked nose thing going on.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Joke's on them! I preordered the game a whole WEEK ago!

Wait...

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/kMgg046dfg4

As someone who never actually played RE3 more than the first 20 minutes or so, these criticisms don't really land with me. Sounds like something I might grab when it goes on sale.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I liked the original RE3 better than the original RE2. I’m that guy.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Also I’m mainly here for Project Resistance, so.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think part of the response is expectations. RE2 remake was a massive change for the franchise, and you can't recapture that a second time because everyone's expecting it now.

And I always hesitate about the play length that reviews report because they never match with my play lengths. It just means 'you can finish this game in six hours if you're a reviewer who has to complete it and then write 2500 words by a deadline'. Given this is an RE game, I'm expecting a speed goal for top rank that I won't be within sight of on my first run, and speedrunners will have it an hour under that bar within a week.

Even now, I couldn't tell you how long RE2 remake will last a player, because it depends on the player.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I don't replay the games a lot. I replayed RE2 Remake more than I have replayed the others.

But for me, part of the fun of the RE series is the tension and terror. Once I know when and where the jump scares are coming, it loses a lot of appeal for me. My first playthrough is always my favorite, and if I ever replay the same game again, there's usually a long period of time (years) in between playthroughs. RE2 was the exception. After completing Claire A and Leon A, I did Claire A a second time, trying for a faster score, and then I jumped in on Leon B. Never finished it. But even that much is more than I usually do.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Watched a review that said their first time all the way through, not even attempting a speed run was done in 5 hours, and that multiple areas from the original were cut.

Man. That is a letdown.

• Options
    That sounds about normal for a first run, but the lack of any kind of B scenario or post-game like Hunk or Mercenaries may be rough.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Now I see why the multiplayer game is included.

• Options
    Oh shit. I just learned that they took out those timed reaction choices! Why would they do that? That would have added so much to the replay value if they made major differences in the locations and routes you go.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Games longer than 6-8 hours start to get out of my excitement zone.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Oh shit. I just learned that they took out those timed reaction choices! Why would they do that? That would have added so much to the replay value if they made major differences in the locations and routes you go.

Its not like they had to be implemented the same way either with the slow down that would interfere with game flow. I imagine the post mortem on this one will be interesting.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm bummed they seemed to rush this one out. I know RE3 has never commanded the same kinda love as RE2 among fans, but it's far and away my favorite of the classic games.

Ah well, sure I'll still have plenty of fun. Just feeling wary of how much is repurposed from RE2make

Spoilers from Eurogamer's review
    they showed Carlos heading into the RPD, Jill in the sewers and a mention of "NEST2" which makes me think they're straight up reusing all 3 locations from the previous game, maybe with some details swapped around for that last one...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    At this point its more like Resident Evil 3 is the free thing coming with your purchase of Resident Evil Resistance. The tacked on single player to their new multiplayer Dead by Daylight/Friday the 13th clone.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Still pretty stoked for RE3. Loved it back in the day and more RE goodness is okay with me!

• Options
    I was super impressed by the demo. The level design and attention to detail was amazing. I am super pumped for this game.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I don't trust reviews anymore.

There have been so many game's in the past that i gave a miss to because some review said it was butts then randomly went back and played and was like "What the crap this game is tits!"

And the game length thing annoys me because historically every resident evil game is short. Hell my first run of RE2 Remake was like 7 hours and i felt like i poked and prodded every little detail i could.

Zunde on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »

There have been so many game's in the past that i gave a miss to because some review said it was butts then randomly went back and played and was like "What the crap this game is tits!"

And the game length thing annoys me because historically every resident evil game is short. Hell my first run of RE2 Remake was like 7 hours and i felt like i poked and prodded every little detail i could.

The reviews aren't even saying the game is butts, just that it's short and Nemesis is slightly disappointing.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I've only played the tutorial (something is up with matchmaking on PC), but can honestly tell RE: Resistance is where I'm going to be spending most of my time, if I even play the campaign.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I had a blast with the demo so I know I'll at least enjoy the game, but I think I need the game to come out and hear some completion times and stuff from the public.

The demo was like 15 minutes long, and it took me about 45 minutes. But I realized I missed a bunch of shit and played it again and it took me closer to an hour to find everything. Not including the bobble heads.

But from the sounds of it, the level design might become way more linear the further you get so we'll see. If it's super linear but really fun with a bunch of dope set pieces that make me want to play through it more than once, then it's worth it.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    PC Gamer – 58/100
    PCGamesN – 7/10
    USGamer – 3.5/5
    IGN – 9/10
    GameSpot – 6/10
    Techradar – 4.5/5

Funny, I might actually play it this time around. I'm one of the weird ones I guess in that I hate the AI chases you stuff. Mr. X ruined all tension in RE2 remake as it turns into a mad dash to lose him before you can continue on with the game.

My friend sent this to me last week when we were talking about RE3 and I pretty much died laughing:

For me, we are still too far away AI wise for this to provide horror or scary moments; the AI is just too dumb.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Jim Sterling just put up a review. He seems to like it a lot.
    https://youtu.be/a6NK0lCbTVo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I was super impressed by the demo. The level design and attention to detail was amazing. I am super pumped for this game.

Apparently all of the portions of the game that take place on the city streets is in the demo, the rest is enclosed areas.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Original RE3 clocked in at a similar 4-5 hour mark (or, once you knew what you were doing, 2-3 hours; now, if you're a speed runner, apparently under 1 hour). So the time isn't a problem to me. But it is a bit disappointing to learn the sets and locales are less ambitious than the original. The opening to RE3 was always great, especially with the location and item randomization.

• Options

No game epitomizes this for me like Alpha Protocol, which to this day is still criminally underrated in offline circles.

• Options

No game epitomizes this for me like Alpha Protocol, which to this day is still criminally underrated in offline circles.

The reviews for Alpha Protocol are probably fair because it is pretty broken, and to some that won't make it worth it, and there are significant flaws there, but it is a fantastic game all the same.

• Options
    Resistance feels pretty broken right now, at least on Steam. Tutorial is bugged and unfinishable, matchmaking doesn't seem to be working. Not really a great sign when the game's officially releasing in three days.

• Options
    Personally I’m excited because I’m very happy with what is essentially more REmake 2. I hope they support it post-release more, but Capcom seems pretty meh about doing DLC in general.