As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stay inside and read [Webcomics]

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    The comic's stupidity is backed up by its own stupidity, at least.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    2rpsxyqg9fet.png
    Dumbing of Age

See, that I believe, but Amber not recognising her dad at this range in the face of a not-covering-anything-at-all mask is pretty bad. Green Lantern was not a good movie, but it had at least one good moment where his mask protected his identity from his love interest for about twenty seconds. Concealed cheekbones are not an effective disguise.

I have the smallest, tiniest degree of faith that Amber is just pretending not to recognize Obviously Her Dad to shit talk more effectively. Probably wrong though

I don't see how it can't be pretend, since the first time he donned the mask it was right in front of her.

q0i2jligzb9r.png

That wasn't Amber.

It was Amber and Willis is a hack with less than zero understanding of mental health, but yes

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular

That wasn't Amber.

This statement aged me a hundred years

(Not an insult to you, what you said is accurate to the comic)

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    2rpsxyqg9fet.png
    Dumbing of Age

See, that I believe, but Amber not recognising her dad at this range in the face of a not-covering-anything-at-all mask is pretty bad. Green Lantern was not a good movie, but it had at least one good moment where his mask protected his identity from his love interest for about twenty seconds. Concealed cheekbones are not an effective disguise.

I have the smallest, tiniest degree of faith that Amber is just pretending not to recognize Obviously Her Dad to shit talk more effectively. Probably wrong though

I don't see how it can't be pretend, since the first time he donned the mask it was right in front of her.

q0i2jligzb9r.png

That wasn't Amber.

It was Amber and Willis is a hack with less than zero understanding of mental health, but yes

Hell yeah, this take again.

The guy is not a hack. it's not hack writing. You don't know what that word means.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    can't wait for another 4 page debate on how bad or not bad dumbing of age is

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I'm gonna try to prevent it by posting something we can all agree about:

su0wdsx8m8rl.png
    SMBC

...Did it work?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    You know what's a good comic? Never Satisfied.

Never Satisfied

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    2rpsxyqg9fet.png
    Dumbing of Age

q0i2jligzb9r.png

That wasn't Amber.

The guy is not a hack. it's not hack writing. You don't know what that word means.

do you know what it means

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Yes I've completed the entire series

9q8jhpyiczns.png

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    2rpsxyqg9fet.png
    Dumbing of Age

q0i2jligzb9r.png

That wasn't Amber.

Neat, but wrong.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Prescriptivism is stupid and I’m obviously not saying Willis is churning out wordcounts for newspapers.

If you have a preferred perjorative for “writes sloppily to force the plot in the direction he needs with little regard for quality”, by all means I’ll switch to using it

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    2rpsxyqg9fet.png
    Dumbing of Age

q0i2jligzb9r.png

That wasn't Amber.

I do but I want to test you so tell me what you think it means and I’ll tell you if you’re right

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    fF4Y0sJ.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    That took me a moment.

I'm getting old.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

Having not played Death Stranding but knowing the basic deal of its world, this was in fact my immediate reaction to seeing Sam in the rain.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »
    2rpsxyqg9fet.png
    Dumbing of Age

q0i2jligzb9r.png

That wasn't Amber.

I do but I want to test you so tell me what you think it means and I’ll tell you if you’re right

shit......

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular

Gotta do something during quarantine.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    fF4Y0sJ.jpg
    ...So every webcomic author is a hack? I can't think of many that aren't self-published.

Willis is at least internally consistent; he sets the rules of his comic and he sticks to them. Those rules might well be dumb (eg: Amber and Amazi-girl don't share memories any more), but he sets that up and keeps to it, he doesn't just retcon them to abruptly force the plot somewhere.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Amber not remembering the Amazi-Girl stuff seems like a recent change to DOAs rules.

• Options
    Seg wrote: »
    Amber not remembering the Amazi-Girl stuff seems like a recent change to DOAs rules.
    It was introduced in 2017.

• Options
    ...So every webcomic author is a hack?

10000% yes

every webcomic is a hack, and therefore every hack is a webcomic
    that's math

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

Having not played Death Stranding but knowing the basic deal of its world, this was in fact my immediate reaction to seeing Sam in the rain.

no one but the bad guy wears facial protection in the rain and it drives me NUTS

like a third of the way through the game you get an email from the middle aged dude from the prologue who mentions that actually he's in his mid-20s and he just looks that way because he has to work outside a lot

WHY DON'T THEY HAVE MASKS

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    ...So every webcomic author is a hack?

10000% yes

every webcomic is a hack, and therefore every hack is a webcomic
    that's math

as a webcomic author i can confirm

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

Gotta do something during quarantine.

No, no we really don't

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

no one but the bad guy wears facial protection in the rain and it drives me NUTS

like a third of the way through the game you get an email from the middle aged dude from the prologue who mentions that actually he's in his mid-20s and he just looks that way because he has to work outside a lot

look we didn't spend $10000000000 inventing a sub-electron microscope so that we could painstakingly scan every sub-nanometer of Norman Redus' delicious face and pudenda just so that he could hide behind a mask

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

look we didn't spend $10000000000 inventing a sub-electron microscope so that we could painstakingly scan every sub-nanometer of Norman Redus' delicious face and pudenda just so that he could hide behind a mask

he pulls a hood up over his head when it rains anyway! and the gameplay camera is behind him 90% of the time!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

A bunch of assholes bought them all and are hoarding them

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    fF4Y0sJ.jpg

I started dancing in bed once I remembered the beat

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Every now and again, Willis does a Shortpacked update. Here are a couple he's done since the official end of the comic that I just noticed.

https://www.shortpacked.com/comic/unrealistic-floating

rl012dd1crxk.png

https://www.shortpacked.com/comic/oh-dinobot-if-only-there-were-someone-who-loved-you

fter92fnj8s3.png

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Man I feel like Willis' gag strips about star wars/transformers/comic books are a better fit for him than his long-form stuff

But I guess it's harder to keep that going indefinitely

Brolo on
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

I was just re-reading through some of the archives and, yeah, this is a quality webcom

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Every now and again, Willis does a Shortpacked update. Here are a couple he's done since the official end of the comic that I just noticed.

rl012dd1crxk.png

https://www.shortpacked.com/comic/oh-dinobot-if-only-there-were-someone-who-loved-you

fter92fnj8s3.png

The fuck is the first one about?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

rl012dd1crxk.png

fter92fnj8s3.png

Leia's space scene in The Last Jedi.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

rl012dd1crxk.png

fter92fnj8s3.png

People were mad about that? It fucking ruled!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I don't think that Shortpacked strip is accurate.

My favourite Willis-take is that creating safe spaces is akin to segregation and forcing people to stay in the closet.

• Options

rl012dd1crxk.png

fter92fnj8s3.png

People were mad about that? It fucking ruled!

Some people were mad about every single thing in TLJ. Pick a random time index in the movie, I bet you can find someone shitting on it.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    People are still mad about the Leia thing.

• Options
    worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    Some people are mad about literally everything in Star Wars.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    TLJ was great and TROS killed all the promise it had set up. i'm not really a big star wars fan but man i was let down.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Rise of Skywalker yet, but what I have seen is a bunch of people who weren't mad about the Leia space thing being really mad at that movie for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.