As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Volunteering as an Enforcer for PAX 08

BootGuyJoeBootGuyJoe Registered User new member
edited February 2008 in PAX Archive
Hey, I noticed that the PAX 08 registration will be opening soon and I'd love to volunteer my services as an enforcer and help set things up.

Now, I'm fully aware that it's a very difficult job but I'm more than willing to put myself out there to help out.

My question is, how do I go about volunteering? I'd be coming a couple of days early from New York City, by the way. Thanks in advance.

BootGuyJoe on

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Details about enforcer applications will be on the pax site when it opens for 2008.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Slightly off-topic but not important enough to start a new topic: Any news on the PAX 07 DVD?

Sl1pstream on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sl1pstream wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic but not important enough to start a new topic: Any news on the PAX 07 DVD?

Ditto.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Should make a note that if you plan on applying to be an enforcer you shouldn't preregister for PAX.

North on
    edited January 2008
    North wrote: »
    Should make a note that if you plan on applying to be an enforcer you shouldn't preregister for PAX.

Dont plan on being an enforcer :P *If* they get picked they can get refunded for their pre-reg.

BigRed on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm considering the volunteer bit this year, maybe. If you volunteer, do you just get shunted to whatever spot is needed to be filled, or do you get a bit of choice in what you'd like to do?

Also, I know that Enforcers are generally there most of all three days, but is it also possible to just volunteer for a smaller amount of time? I don't want to bore with the specifics, but scheduling and general family and life considerations limit what I may be able to do.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Minimum six hours per day, more if you want it. I'm not sure how they place you, I think you get some say in it though.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Geek wrote: »
    I'm considering the volunteer bit this year, maybe. If you volunteer, do you just get shunted to whatever spot is needed to be filled, or do you get a bit of choice in what you'd like to do?

Also, I know that Enforcers are generally there most of all three days, but is it also possible to just volunteer for a smaller amount of time? I don't want to bore with the specifics, but scheduling and general family and life considerations limit what I may be able to do.
    This is how it was on 2007; I believe things will be very similar this year:
    Everyone is required to work a minimum of 6 hours per day for at least two of the three days of PAX (usually all three days). There is way for all of the Enforcers to list their preferred departments and special scheduling constraints. The Chief of Staff creates a schedule, assigning everyone shifts, trying to place everyone in their preferred areas. It can't be guaranteed that everyone will be assigned to their preferred areas, but accommodating everyone is the goal, though it's not always possible.

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • PRDPRD Kristin Lindsay I am a meat popsicle.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    We will not be making an open call for Enforcers this year. As we have retained most of the volunteers from previous years, we still have sufficient Enforcers to keep PAX rolling at the WSCTC for 2008. As a result, we aren't calling for new applications for this year.

I hope this answers the burning question! Thanks to all of you who expressed an interest in helping out, and we'll let you know if we open up again for '09.

~ PRD

PRD on
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Awwww crackers. I'll have to find some other way to serve the time and place I love.

QuizMaster on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aye, being an enforcer sounds like it's tough but extremely rewarding/fun. I can certainly understand why so many would stick it out to the next year. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    We will not be making an open call for Enforcers this year. As we have retained most of the volunteers from previous years, we still have sufficient Enforcers to keep PAX rolling at the WSCTC for 2008. As a result, we aren't calling for new applications for this year.

I hope this answers the burning question! Thanks to all of you who expressed an interest in helping out, and we'll let you know if we open up again for '09.

~ PRD

Arrrrg.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »

~ PRD

Arrrrg.
    Darn, and this was the year I was going to apply. D: Oh and my real job is Seucrity. 8-)

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Buraisu wrote: »
    DStalefish wrote: »

~ PRD

Arrrrg.
    Darn, and this was the year I was going to apply. D: Oh and my real job is Seucrity. 8-)

D: But I really wanted to sign up this year... fuck, I knew I should have last year.

:(

Aydr on
    edited January 2008
    Just wait for next.

BigRed on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    But that is like a year away...

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • LiquidYogiLiquidYogi Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    I must protest. It should be an open first come first serve basis for the Enforcement of PAX. Without a change in ranks and new blood as it were, the Enforcers will become separated from the general PAXees, and will become corrupt. This will only lead to violence in the streets and chaos!! We have to address this problem post haste, let me be a PAX Enforcer!

LiquidYogi on
    edited February 2008
    LiquidYogi wrote: »
    I must protest. It should be an open first come first serve basis for the Enforcement of PAX. Without a change in ranks and new blood as it were, the Enforcers will become separated from the general PAXees, and will become closer to your mom.

Fixed.

BigRed on
  • RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I must protest. It should be an open first come first serve basis for the Enforcement of PAX. Without a change in ranks and new blood as it were, the Enforcers will become separated from the general PAXees, and will become corrupt. This will only lead to violence in the streets and chaos!! We have to address this problem post haste, let me be a PAX Enforcer!

And I must protest with your logic. I attended in 2006 and the Enforcers know what to do and are good at it. You don't want to take a veteran of something off of working in the prime part of their "career". Just let the Enforcers do what they do best.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm sure the Enforcers are a great tight knit group, but you'll have a good enough time. There's still tons to do other than ushering people around and being a general bad ass.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Enforcers started recruiting in '04. You can't suggest 'first come first serve' while you're standing at the end of the line. :P

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited February 2008
    the Enforcers will become separated from the general PAXees, and will become corrupt.

This is why they are ruled with an iron hand mwahahahaha etc.

>.>

Seriously, though, just hang out at PAX this year and enjoy yourself. If we do open up for general recruiting again next year, the forum will be the first to know.

PRD on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rats, and I was hoping to come back this year in the black. I was an enforcer in '06 but couldn't attend in '07 due to commitments to the army. This year I have the time. Thankfully I probably won't deploy in '09 so I can look forward to '09 at least (well and this year of course ;-) ).

Yoshua on
    edited February 2008
    Yoshua, you are welcome back. To clarify, we are not making a call for NEW RECRUITS. If you are already an Enforcer, then all you need to do is drop by our private forum and say hi. Your account has not been deleted.

PRD on
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Private forum? Awwww, now I want to be one even more.
    Actually, I've made my peace.

QuizMaster on
This discussion has been closed.