As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Love] and the gentle person

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    reciting Wentworth's letter (no notecards or anything!) at an audition for a school play got me three dates.

It's gotten me weird looks and uhhh replies.
    My wisdom teeth about a year after they were pulled grew back. But they and most of my teeth were pulled and replaced with implants

my dude, they did not grow back

you likely had a second set that should've been spotted on an exray

the first set were deformed so T pulled them. About a year later my teeth have a dull pain so T looks again and says they grew back? What? For the most part they were not as robust as the first teeth so later that year when she started the process of my teeth getting replaced she pulled my wisdom teeth to study them to find out why they grew back as they did not show up on the Xray but said since the root was still there that was probably why just a quirk of nature
    She had both my ugly wisdom teeth and the regrowth ones

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Wisdom teeth hurt because our mouth is actually too small to have that many teeth, but there hasn't been sufficient selective pressure to cause the extra teeth to be lost.

Not for the entire population, but there is a subset of humans that are born without them.

It was glorious to not have that surgery when everyone else was, let me tell you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My wisdom teeth were a damn horror story

like I had to sign a waiver that I wouldn't sue the surgeon if they ended up paralyzing my jaw during the removal =/

Xaquin on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Xaquin wrote: »

like I had to sign a waiver that I wouldn't sue the surgeon if they ended up paralyzing my jaw during the removal =/

That's pretty normal (the waiver), due to the nerve and vein placement by your wisdom teeth. It can happen accidentally. Thankfully extraction techniques & tools are much safer and faster these days then they used to be.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

That's pretty normal (the waiver), due to the nerve and vein placement by your wisdom teeth. It can happen accidentally. Thankfully extraction techniques & tools are much safer and faster these days then they used to be.

interesting!

He made it sound like a pretty big deal

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

interesting!

He made it sound like a pretty big deal

I think it is both normal and a big deal

Everyone I know had a miserable time with it
    :(

edited March 2020
    now I'm vaguely curious as to whether mine was a unique situation or not

spoiler for dental horror (or at least it grosses me out)
    so the roots of my wisdom teeth had partially wrapped or inverted beneath the jaw .... nerve? whatever it's called. At any rate, to get the bottom ones out, they had to saw them in half and extract each side individually

fortunately I was completely under and the only memory I have is drunkenly singing 'Help' by the Beatles as I came out of it

Xaquin on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I had my wisdom teeth out when i was 13. Just went to the dentist for a check up and all of a sudden he had his knee in my gut and was prying out my teeth. I had to walk 3 miles home and stop off on the way to buy my mom cigarettes and there was blood pouring out of my mouth the whole way; i was like an extra in pet semetary

jesus

he had nothing to do with it i assure you

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular

so the roots of my wisdom teeth had partially wrapped or inverted beneath the jaw .... nerve? whatever it's called. At any rate, to get the bottom ones our, they had to saw them in half and extract each side individually

fortunately I was completely under and the only memory I have is drunkenly singing 'Help' by the Beatles as I came out of it

My lower right wisdom tooth
    had to be cracked into a bunch of parts that then had to be dug out. Took about 45 minutes for that tooth alone.
    Fun times.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My under standing is that the majority of wisdom teeth are cracked and removed in parts. Complications arise to do with the distance of your nerves to your roots of your teeth.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

so the roots of my wisdom teeth had partially wrapped or inverted beneath the jaw .... nerve? whatever it's called. At any rate, to get the bottom ones out, they had to saw them in half and extract each side individually

It's definitely not a unique thing but due to how deep the wisdom teeth are it can happen. Sounds like the oral surgeons were on their A game though, glad you got through it without complications!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I still have all my wisdom teeth, and based on these stories I will fight to the death any dentist who tries to take them

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I still have all my wisdom teeth, and based on these stories I will fight to the death any dentist who tries to take them

There's a really small group of people that have no issues and have just enough room for them, or they impact slightly and cause no further pain in the jaw.

But yeah these horror stories make me thankful I never had them.

My brothers and sisters did though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I still need to get my wisdoms removed as well, but they've caused me very little issue over the years so it has been pretty low priority

Once they're taken out I'm gonna get them made into a pair of cufflinks

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Pandemic Dating. People having video calls with each other and such.

Strange times we live in.

I had a video call date on Saturday and I have another tomorrow

so weird

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I have all mine, no real issues except they can be a bit hard to clean properly. Dentist says they're alright to stay unless they cause proper issues.

One of them never came out though, not sure if it even exists.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

so weird

I think you can also gauge the current state of the dating scene by the way the love thread has turned into a dental horror show.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

so weird

I think you can also gauge the current state of the dating scene by the way the love thread has turned into a dental horror show.

No, that's just a natural occurrence that loops around every few months.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Wisdom teeth hurt because our mouth is actually too small to have that many teeth, but there hasn't been sufficient selective pressure to cause the extra teeth to be lost.

Not for the entire population, but there is a subset of humans that are born without them.

It was glorious to not have that surgery when everyone else was, let me tell you.

I don't have them, but I also still have two baby teeth and I'm 37.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads

are they your baby teeth or...?

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

I reflexively made a face in response to this that I don't think I've ever made before, and hope I will never again.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

so weird

Weird, but also pretty awesome.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Oh yes, I don't ust have random baby teeth. I grew them.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I had my wisdom teeth out when i was 13. Just went to the dentist for a check up and all of a sudden he had his knee in my gut and was prying out my teeth. I had to walk 3 miles home and stop off on the way to buy my mom cigarettes and there was blood pouring out of my mouth the whole way; i was like an extra in pet semetary

Did you go to an army dentist in the middle of WW2?!?

Did you go to an army dentist in the middle of WW2?!?

hey don't judge they were cheap

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Not sure that was a dentist mate, think it was just some fella with pliers and a reclining chair.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Are you suggesting he’s a baby t’ief?

Not sure that was a dentist mate, think it was just some fella with pliers and a reclining chair.

well it was in the alley two buildings before the dentist office but it was a nice day; i figured he just wanted some outside time

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Really horrible teeth related story
    Back in 2010 I think we discovered my dad had a brain tumour, and he had to have surgery to remove it. A few days after surgery he had a seizure and chewed up his tongue really badly. Then while dealing with that he got toothache. He went to the dentist who discovered he had an abscess underneath one of his teeth (he only had like 4 left at that point), probably caused because his immune system was taking a kicking from all the recent events.

The dentist gave him as much novacaine as it was possible to give and according to my dad it didn't even touch it, so he basically had this infected tooth pulled with no pain relief, and it went how you would expect. My mum said when they came out to the waiting room afterwards the dentist looked shaken and was apologising. My dad ended up going in a couple of weeks later to give him a bottle of wine as an apology for making him deal with it.

He got the rest of his teeth removed afterwards and just has dentures now because fuck ever doing that again.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I would like to thank everyone who's using spoiler tags for their horror stories

BahamutZERO.gif
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    DrZiplock wrote: »

so weird

Weird, but also pretty awesome.

Yeah it was nice, actually

And it kind of filters out stuff in fact. Like I can go for a drink with basically anyone but a five hour long video call? You gotta actually like someone to achieve that

Makes you actually get to know each other anyway. And it makes you more inventive. On Saturday we had coffee and cake in the afternoon. Next is cheese and wine.

Solar on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Give me constantly regrowing dinosaur teeth

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Did dinosaurs have regenerating teeth? I thought that was a shark thing

BahamutZERO.gif
    Most vertebrates have regrowing teeth, mammals just suck!

Dinosaur teeth are rather common compared to full skeletons because dinosaurs regularly lost or shed them

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    What do you even talk about for five hours?

People can't have that many dental horror stories to share.

Unless you're on a date with a dentist.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    And that's the tooth

The amount of dental horror stories you can share is inversely proportional to the amount of teeth you still have

This discussion has been closed.