As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have an idea of which brands have comfortable options for for over-the ear headphones for those of us with large heads (I wear a size 8 hat)?

I'm looking for something over the ear, maybe with noise cancelling, to listen to music, radio, etc while working at home during this. I'm thinking something with both blue tooth and wired connection.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea of which brands have comfortable options for for over-the ear headphones for those of us with large heads (I wear a size 8 hat)?

I'm looking for something over the ear, maybe with noise cancelling, to listen to music, radio, etc while working at home during this. I'm thinking something with both blue tooth and wired connection.

My AH-D5000s fit my giant dome (hat size XXL) comfortably, in fact there's plenty of room for them to go even bigger. Denon don't make them any more, but they were basically rebranded Fostex cans anyway.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I've got a set of Sony 1000WX3s on the way with the same size head. I can update if you're still looking next week.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    My ATH-M50's fit my huge dome with plenty of room to spare. I've even added more padding and they still have 3-4 clicks.

I think you'll be ok size wise for most over the head options. The main question is Noise Cancelling vs Sound Quality.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Well I jumped on the Panda bandwagon here at the last moment. After doing some reading, the boom mic does disable all electronics so I left that alone and will use my ModMic Antlion if needed. I'm really hoping the on board mic's are good enough, since I'd like to use these for meetings as well.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah the wait till Summer is gonna be painful.

First Cyberpunk and now these.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    The Sonys arrived, and they fit fine, with a click or two to spare.

The sound profile is not what I'm used to. Definitely bass-forward like any modern mass-market headphone...I might have to dive in to their dumb app to push a better EQ :-1:

The noise cancelling is incredibly good, though.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’m probably looking at a smaller budget then some of those, but this gives me a good idea of brand fit.

• Options
    What budget range are you looking at? Generally the good noise cancelling sets and/or have Bluetooth are going to be over $200. In that case, looking for a set of close backs that while not have ANC, will help seal out sounds would work.

I've used my ATH-M50's for years at work and do a fine job blocking out all other sound when music is playing.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    a5ehren wrote: »
    The Sonys arrived, and they fit fine, with a click or two to spare.

The sound profile is not what I'm used to. Definitely bass-forward like any modern mass-market headphone...I might have to dive in to their dumb app to push a better EQ :-1:

The noise cancelling is incredibly good, though.

Here's the EQ I use on mine. It significantly tones down the bass-forward nature making them far more balanced but still 'fun' sounding.
    kexCQ6El.png

Oh, also set the EQ in the app you are using to listen to music not in the Sony app. You'll have more control and won't interfere with the Bluetooth mode. I think if you set an EQ in the Sony app it disables LDAC.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    My main platform for these is actually my Windows work laptop, so I'm going to apply a system-wide EQ from APO and hopefully be happy.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Yeah, using the APO settings from there for my headphones cleaned up the bass by a ton. Huge improvement.

• Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    What budget range are you looking at? Generally the good noise cancelling sets and/or have Bluetooth are going to be over $200. In that case, looking for a set of close backs that while not have ANC, will help seal out sounds would work.

I've used my ATH-M50's for years at work and do a fine job blocking out all other sound when music is playing.

Ok, thanks. Maybe I should be less of a cheap-ass

• Options
    edited March 2020
    It depends on your needs, honestly.

If your commute is on public transit (or walking) or your work environment has loud fans, then ANC is for you.

If your office is quiet, the Sony MDR-7506 has more than enough noise isolation and a much friendlier price tag.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. My M50's were around $100 and worked just fine. None of my co-workers could hear anything and most noise was blocked out. I was in an office so it was pretty quiet most of the time but I was near a conference room, so some days it would get really loud and they worked fine.

As A5ehren's mentioned, if you fly a lot or take public transit, it may be worth saving up the money for a good ANC set.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    I fly about every five years, and my co-workers at the moment include a four year old. :P Though once we're back going to the office, i am all for blocking out my cube neighbours.

• Options
    I fly about every five years, and my co-workers at the moment include a four year old. :P Though once we're back going to the office, i am all for blocking out my cube neighbours.

The M50's blocked so well, I had to get a rear view mirror on a clip to put in front of me so I could see folks coming into my cube behind me lol. I worked really well.

• Options

The M50's blocked so well, I had to get a rear view mirror on a clip to put in front of me so I could see folks coming into my cube behind me lol. I worked really well.

That sounds good because we have an open lay out and the dude who sits behind me, with no barrier in between us gets up and down from his desk live 20 times an hour and the noise drives me nuts.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Aural tech geeks, perhaps you can help.

I have a pair of WF-1000XM3 bluetooth ear pieces. I have them updated to 2.3.0 firmware, which I believe is the most recent.

I have no issues with using them with my mobile device, but when I connect them to my Windows 10 PC, they don't seem able to function as an alternate gaming headset. They can only play one application's audio at a time that I can figure out, either the game or say a Discord channel, and they gain and lose microphone access at seeming random. My goal is to play a game and be in discord chat while using them in my house. If anyone can help me figure out if there's configuration changes I need to make I'd appreciate it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Aural tech geeks, perhaps you can help.

I have a pair of WF-1000XM3 bluetooth ear pieces. I have them updated to 2.3.0 firmware, which I believe is the most recent.

I have no issues with using them with my mobile device, but when I connect them to my Windows 10 PC, they don't seem able to function as an alternate gaming headset. They can only play one application's audio at a time that I can figure out, either the game or say a Discord channel, and they gain and lose microphone access at seeming random. My goal is to play a game and be in discord chat while using them in my house. If anyone can help me figure out if there's configuration changes I need to make I'd appreciate it.

That's generally how a lot of bluetooth devices work on PC, unfortunately. Your best bet may be to pair them to your phone, and use discord off of that, but the audio quality will go down either way afaik.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Good news for Panda supporters.
    We’re Right on Track!
    Hey Friends,

Panda production is on schedule. Our team has moved some unexpected mountains to make this happen; part shortages, a global freight capacity squeeze, dramatic labor shake-ups as people returned from Chinese New Year, and lock-downs impacting part suppliers across Europe. Despite all of these challenges, we’re on track for our original shipping schedule.

We improved the packaging and the included case. Our Product Development team improved the tolerances, fit, and styling for both; the new case is slimmer while still accommodating all headband extension levels.

We’ll post another timeline update during production at the end of the month.

Thanks for your continued support of Panda and we’re proud to be on-schedule despite challenging global circumstances.

• Options
    Looking forward to it. My Shure BT215's just don't seem to be cutting it for music listening at home. They are fine for the gym but at home the lack of SQ via bluetooth is easier to pick up on.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm stoked, especially if I can get the bluetooth to work with my PC tower without much fiddling. I'll be super happy. I love my 598s, but they're wearing down comfort level wise, and the wire is a big annoyance.

• Options
    Yeah I grabbed the x570 TUF board that has built in BT. So I’m really hoping it works out of the box just perfectly.

Going from a USB dongle to on-board BT fixed all my mouse issues, but Windows 10 in general kinda sucks with BT.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Hey folks, I've got myself a set of Jabra Move wireless Bluetooth headset and I'm wondering what the best Bluetooth dongle to purchase is so that I can pair them to my Win10 PC? These were a gift for my father last fall but he actually wanted over-ear instead of on-ear headphones, so he hasn't actually been using these. He gave them to me last night so now they're mine! The only problem is that I don't think they came with a dongle and I don't have anything else that's Bluetooth hooked up tom my PC, so I don't seem to have any way to actually connect to the Jabra.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

• Options
    I wish Drop would post more updates regarding the Pandas. I wanna know how production is coming along since we're almost at June, and also an updated ETA would be appreciated.

• Options
    I'd imagine they probably don't have a lot nailed down right now. They mentioned another timeline update at the end of May, so we still have some time. But I could see them still trying to figure out how shipping is going to be impacted as well as any production issue.

I'm basically assuming mine will be a month delayed or so.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Short version, I thought my old PC headset was dying so i tossed it then later discovered that actually the front audio port on my PC just had a bad connection (the classic only left side audio works) so I have been using my PS4 wireless Gold headset that has a wireless USB connection. the pads on these have literally started disintegrating black fabric onto my body and apartment so my partner wants to buy me new headphones for my birthday. I have a snowball mic on my desk so I don't even really care about a mic on the headphones. My computer does not have bluetooth options and I don't like that plugging audio cables into the back of the PC requires me to override my normal speakers and constantly go under a desk to change them.

My partner sent me this link to ask if this seemed like a good option after googling best gaming headsets so I'm assuming this is the budget range ($125)
    https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Arctis-Fidelity-Gaming-Headset/dp/B07B32GY9Z/ref=as_li_ss_tl?th=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=insider04-20&linkId=9ec3fff05ccaabe4df6ba1f780a2e2fc

Are these a good option?
    Are there stronger recommendations in this range or given that I don't need a mic, are there quality headphone recommendations in the same price range that might have/have the ability to be connected via USB.
    I'm agnostic on wired/wireless except if i can use while charging.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Hello Audio people,

The combination of a lot more WFH / socializing from home, combined with my particular circumstance that I cannot wear headsets for a large amount of time because of ear problems, is making me think of an upgrade path.
    My current homebrew is having my logitech headset around my neck and finetuning the treshhold so that it just doesn't pick up speaker audio but does pickup me. But the microphone on it isn't amazing.

I was hoping people could advice me on what kind of microphone setup is adequate.

What I want:

A mic on a boom stand, because my desk is small, and my idea is that being able to move it closer to my head further from keyboard/speakers, will get a better ratio of signal/background. This leads me to believe I should buy a shock mount and pop filter as well, relatively little extra cost for gains.

My main question is: With a directional microphone, can I have people on speakers while I talk into the mic, or will I get into feedback trouble.
    In most scenarios I am not the one talking a lot, though in some calls I am speaking for 70% of the time.

My secondary question: I am reading conflicting things about mechanical keyboards and how loud they are on the popular microphone setups. Anyone have any experience with this?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I'd imagine they probably don't have a lot nailed down right now. They mentioned another timeline update at the end of May, so we still have some time. But I could see them still trying to figure out how shipping is going to be impacted as well as any production issue.

I'm basically assuming mine will be a month delayed or so.

I'm really hoping there isn't a delay, the last update seemed positive, but yeah at this point it would be hard to imagine there not being a delay.

I'm in the July group for shipping since I got the boom mic included. Really I just want it to be here before Cyberpunk comes out.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Short version, I thought my old PC headset was dying so i tossed it then later discovered that actually the front audio port on my PC just had a bad connection (the classic only left side audio works) so I have been using my PS4 wireless Gold headset that has a wireless USB connection. the pads on these have literally started disintegrating black fabric onto my body and apartment so my partner wants to buy me new headphones for my birthday. I have a snowball mic on my desk so I don't even really care about a mic on the headphones. My computer does not have bluetooth options and I don't like that plugging audio cables into the back of the PC requires me to override my normal speakers and constantly go under a desk to change them.

My partner sent me this link to ask if this seemed like a good option after googling best gaming headsets so I'm assuming this is the budget range ($125)
    https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Arctis-Fidelity-Gaming-Headset/dp/B07B32GY9Z/ref=as_li_ss_tl?th=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=insider04-20&linkId=9ec3fff05ccaabe4df6ba1f780a2e2fc

Are these a good option?
    Are there stronger recommendations in this range or given that I don't need a mic, are there quality headphone recommendations in the same price range that might have/have the ability to be connected via USB.

For USB, it's probably one of the only good options along with the Hyper X series. Not sure I understand the speaker thing, your motherboard only has a line in and out?

Personally if I had a nice Mic like you do, I'd get the best sounding headphones I could afford. You can get a 3.5mm splitter if the speakers have their own volume control or a USB sound card might work (you'd just have to use Windows sound to swap between devices).

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Hello Audio people,

The combination of a lot more WFH / socializing from home, combined with my particular circumstance that I cannot wear headsets for a large amount of time because of ear problems, is making me think of an upgrade path.
    My current homebrew is having my logitech headset around my neck and finetuning the treshhold so that it just doesn't pick up speaker audio but does pickup me. But the microphone on it isn't amazing.

I was hoping people could advice me on what kind of microphone setup is adequate.

What I want:

A mic on a boom stand, because my desk is small, and my idea is that being able to move it closer to my head further from keyboard/speakers, will get a better ratio of signal/background. This leads me to believe I should buy a shock mount and pop filter as well, relatively little extra cost for gains.

My main question is: With a directional microphone, can I have people on speakers while I talk into the mic, or will I get into feedback trouble.
    In most scenarios I am not the one talking a lot, though in some calls I am speaking for 70% of the time.

My secondary question: I am reading conflicting things about mechanical keyboards and how loud they are on the popular microphone setups. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm not a heavy podcaster, so I can't speak to the pop filters and such. But I've never been able to get a mic and speakers to work without feedback or echo's. Even with my Parrot bluetooth headset, if the speakers are loud enough for me to hear, I'm sitting close enough that the mic picks some of that up. Both with my work setup and gaming. My mechanical Corsair K70 is louder than my work K120 but not by much. Though I'd imagine both make enough noise to be heard. I usually just mute myself before typing. Next time I'm on a conference call, I'll ask to see how well they can hear my typing.

When you say ear problems, do you mean irritation? Or is it something with the sound being that close to your ear? it may end up being easier to just find some really padded headphones with large openings.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Hello Audio people,

What I want:

What is the circumstance that makes it so that headsets are a problem? My personal solution is just finding headphones/earbuds that are comfortable for me, but I realize this may not be an option. I'd still also look into things like Bone Conduction headphones (which sit in front of your ears on your cheekbones, rather than in your ear canal or over your ears).

My experience is that the mechanical keyboard click will still be heard in most cases, because it's a percussive sound that bounces off walls very well. You'll need to treat your room with actual acoustic treatment (none of that egg-crate foam shit) to reduce these clicks. I wouldn't worry about it, personally, unless you are an online performance artist like a streamer.

You will want a microphone that has a pickup pattern that's Cardioid (heart shaped) or Supercardioid/Hypercardioid (flattened heart shape). Omnidirectional pickup patterns (most consumer level microphones) will pick up most of the sounds around them. Cardioid is the most common pickup pattern for professional-level microphones, which usually are so sensitive that it still kinda picks up everything around them (popular condensers like the AT2020 and the Blue Yeti fall into this category).

Dynamic microphones (the ubiquitous Shure SM-58, which is what people think of when they think "microphone") tend to be less sensitive, which will reduce the sounds it picks up from the background (but not eliminate it... sound reflects off of walls VERY well. There's no such thing as a "noise cancelling" microphone other than what is offered by software filtering), but that also means that you'll have to have them close to your lips (in live performances, good microphone technique means 1-3 inches from the address end). If you are comfortable looking like and acting like a radio shock jock and speaking directly close into the microphone, then that's the category I'd go with. Most dynamic microphones have a built-in pop filter because they are meant to be used close-miked.

Another option is getting a throat mic. Not only do you look like a badass Seal Team 6 member, but you minimize feedback. They don't have great audio quality (especially the consumer level ones marketed for gaming), but it takes care of the feedback/external noise problem. I find them mildly uncomfortable to wear, but I have a bass voice and I love the way it gets the lower frequency sounds. :)

Really, the biggest thing to avoid feedback is getting a tighter pickup pattern for your microphone AND appropriate speaker placement. Don't just use the shitty speakers on your computer monitor that blast everything forward... get external speakers instead (I suggest smaller speakers, like 3.5" at max) and point them away from the microphone. I guarantee that you'll still hear all the sound, but it will reduce the feedback. This is similar to audio monitor placement for live stage shows... place the wedges away from the mics.

I agree with your assessment that you probably will want a microphone arm, shock mount, and pop filter, along with some sort of microphone mounted on that arm. What is your budget? I'm guessing you don't have an audio interface. The Samson CO1U Pro ($80-$90) is a condenser that has a super/hypercardioid pickup pattern (at least, according to Sweetwater) and plugs into USB. The first USB microphone that I've ever owned was an ATR-2100-USB ($50-$70), and that worked well in the use case that you described (open speakers, microphone on a boom arm). I've heard good things about the Rode Podcaster ($250), which is about the top end in that use case.

If you want to get fancier and use an XLR analog microphone, you'll need an audio interface of some sort. The Blue Icicle is $50 and will support one microphone, while a step up from that is the Focusrite Solo audio interface, which runs around $110. Then you can use pretty much any condenser (requires phantom power) or dynamic microphone (does not require phantom power) out there, including the above-mentioned SM-58 ($100), although I would go with something like an sE V7 or AKG D5 instead of that. At the highest end, you can use an end-address dynamic microphone like an Electrovoice RE20 ($400) or Shure SM7B ($400), which is what professionals use.

tl;dr - As far as USB microphones, I'd recommend a Samson CO1U Pro, an ATR-2100-USB, or Rode Podcaster. Higher than that, you will want an audio interface + analog XLR mic. External small speakers pointed away from the microphone's field will go a long way to avoid feedback, and you will still hear just fine. You'll still probably pick up mechanical keyboard noise, but you aren't a streamer, likely.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Are these a good option?

For USB, it's probably one of the only good options along with the Hyper X series. Not sure I understand the speaker thing, your motherboard only has a line in and out?

Personally if I had a nice Mic like you do, I'd get the best sounding headphones I could afford. You can get a 3.5mm splitter if the speakers have their own volume control or a USB sound card might work (you'd just have to use Windows sound to swap between devices).
    I'd personally get a USB dongle like Sabrent USB External Audio Adapter ($8), which not only opens up your possibilities for headsets to anything with a 3.5mm TRS plug (earbuds, IEMs, whatever), but generally will outlast any headset that you buy anyway.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I have chronic psoriasis in my ears, the ears are dry, producing too little wax due to the irritation and constantly infecting. The more headphones I wear, the quicker I'm back at my doctor for another bottle of hydrocortisone drops, and it comes with long term risks to do that too much. (And I've been there.... 10 times or so in the past 6 years) Anything that covers my ears is bad, anything that goes into the ear canal is worse. It's the heat and moisture build up both, or so I'm told. Anything that deforms my ears may still be bad.

I hadn't heard about bone conducting headphones, those may be an option. Though a quick search only comes up with bluetooth devices, which means charging and a bluetooth adapter since this machine doesn't have bluetooth on its mobo.

And yeah I was hoping for a $100 - $150 solution at max, this is trying to get to "above average" while working around a unique problem, not any kind of recording planned. USB only should be good enough.

• Options
    I have chronic psoriasis in my ears, the ears are dry, producing too little wax due to the irritation and constantly infecting. The more headphones I wear, the quicker I'm back at my doctor for another bottle of hydrocortisone drops, and it comes with long term risks to do that too much. (And I've been there.... 10 times or so in the past 6 years) Anything that covers my ears is bad, anything that goes into the ear canal is worse. It's the heat and moisture build up both, or so I'm told. Anything that deforms my ears may still be bad.

I hadn't heard about bone conducting headphones, those may be an option. Though a quick search only comes up with bluetooth devices, which means charging and a bluetooth adapter since this machine doesn't have bluetooth on its mobo.

And yeah I was hoping for a $100 - $150 solution at max, this is trying to get to "above average" while working around a unique problem, not any kind of recording planned. USB only should be good enough.
    Aftershokz has a wired version of their Titanium product (which is their older model... the new model, Aeropex, is pretty sexy, but the Titanium is still fancy).
    https://aftershokz.com/products/sportz-titanium-with-mic

Bone conduction is one of those "try and return if you don't like" sort of products. They don't work well for everyone. I personally love them (I can hear myself and my surroundings while also hearing my music), but they aren't an audiophile's dream (little to no bass, sound reproduction is strange compared to reference). They are perfectly serviceable for speech and casual listening, and I even use them occasionally as monitors for scratch tracks and click tracks for singing (since I can hear my own voice using my natural ears instead of IEMs).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    For your current setup, I'd probably try a Samson C01U Pro USB on a boom arm or table stand and buy some cheap computer speakers (Logitech Z150s are $20... Wirecutter recommends Logitech Z313s, which is a bit more at $35), pointing them at a 120 degree angle toward you and the microphone or pointing away from the microphone altogether.

Maximum rejection diagram for a supercardioid mic (if that doesn't work, you can point them away from you and your mic. You'll still hear everything just fine):
    sound-design-live-place-aim-stage-monitors-maximum-rejection-beta87a-polar-pattern2.png
    The "bubbles" are the places where the microphone "hears" the best. The above diagram is for an "end address" mic, though, and I think Samson C01Us are side address... this just means you talk into the grill of the mic like corn on the cob, rather than like a coke bottle.

But the Aftershokz Sportz Titanium with Mic wired bone conduction headphones might be a great solution for casual listening and for your current computer conferencing situation as well, given your medical problems. It might be worth looking into anyway, just for listening to music around the home. It keeps the shit off your ears and ear canals and you can still listen to some tunes.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The other option would be to just homebrew a solution. I can wear my ATH-M50's just resting on my upper ear lobe, so it's not covering my ear canal at all. Turn the volume up a bit louder and I'd be able to hear conversations. It's still concentrated near your ear and the Mic shouldn't pic it up. Another option would be to just take a washcloth or something and wrap it around the bands just above the cups. Basically get the cloth to rest on your head vs the headphone cups (I'd remove the padding on the cups). Acting like mini speakers near your ear.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the advice. I could get pretty close to that setup but then the boom would be over my screen, and I would have to headtilt to talk directly into it. I was envisaging it coming in from the side, but then there's no way to set up the speakers equidistantly. I already have some $40 nobrand speakers I bought a decade ago, better than cheapest stuff and able to move it and tilt it, but my desk is small......

Going to ponder my choices. Maybe ask an audiostore if they have bone conducting headphones I can try out, in some weird 6feet distance dance.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the advice. I could get pretty close to that setup but then the boom would be over my screen, and I would have to headtilt to talk directly into it. I was envisaging it coming in from the side, but then there's no way to set up the speakers equidistantly. I already have some $40 nobrand speakers I bought a decade ago, better than cheapest stuff and able to move it and tilt it, but my desk is small......

Going to ponder my choices. Maybe ask an audiostore if they have bone conducting headphones I can try out, in some weird 6feet distance dance.
    Oh, that diagram is "perfect ideal situations". There's no such thing as perfect, though (like that time I had to set up a guitar amp as a monitor speaker for some goddamn reason). The speakers don't need to be equidistant, just either coming at the mike at a 120 degree angle from the rear (flanking it, in wargame terms) or pointing away from it and the "bubble" in the front. You can side-mount any microphone on a boom arm, just be aware that speaker placement can be important to prevent feedback, that's all.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png