As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

ShortyShorty touching the meatIntergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
edited April 2020 in Social Entropy++
Satisfactory is a game about building a factory

start on an idyllic alien world

Satisfactory-guide-tips-tricks-01.jpg

that's no good though, look at all that WASTE

1*3s8SpLFuKGTo2l1pOkBYoA.png

MUCH BETTER

if you like conveyor belts, factories, tubes, and EFFICIENCY, you should try Satisfactory. it is currently an early access game, available in the Epic store.

Here is a guide to the early game:

https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/Tutorial:How_to_play

It heavily implies that you should rush to coal as soon as you can, and that's not a bad idea; you'll definitely want to free yourself from the tyranny of biomass generators sooner rather than later.

Once you've had enough of progression it's a pretty cool sandbox game, you can do some really wild stuff with hypertubes, like launching yourself into another dimension. Some players have also built skate parks out of the curvy foundation pieces you can buy in the in-game shop (with in-game currency--there are no microtransactions).

Anyway have fun extracting, and remember, screenshots only count if you're taking an extremely self-satisfied sip of coffee.

e: Here is a website you can use to generate a map from your save file: https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/interactive-map

Shorty on

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I was working on finishing up my home base, rebuilding my copper sheet area to fully supply the assemblers for circuit boards, and I thought this was real pretty. Sunrise over the factory.

m12ech2ri99p.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Now that I've unlocked Mk.5 conveyors and Mk.3 miners, I tore out my entire factory to accommodate the increased conveyor throughput and make things tidier. I've started with the foundries, which are reinstalled now. Two rows of eight in the middle, and another row of five left. Three on the rear side of the right row produce copper alloy ingots, which feed the refineries on the right for producing copper sheets. The rest (18 total) produce iron alloy ingots. I'm revamping the entire factory to make better use of Mk.5 conveyors and use more of a central feedstock line. I also reworked my caterium supply (distant from base) to send ingots to the factory, rather than sending ore, which will free up a ton of floor space at home.

7j8rlfpm537k.jpg

Tynnan on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So since I came into update 3 with a save from update 2, I had everything through tier 6 unlocked from the space elevator. When I get ready to tackle tiers 7&8 I'm going to have to build the entire infrastructure from scratch to produce the specific parts it wants. I think that is what my desert base is going to be geared towards. I'll probably end up relocating the Hub and Space elevator when I move as well. We'll see.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    my current to-do list is

1) increase quickwire production to meet the needs of my AI limiter assembler and high-speed connector manufacturer

2) finally start extracting quartz and advancing that research tree

3) expand my infrastructure for producing frames (I need a LOT more, partly because my modular frame manufacturer is nowhere near 100% and partly because I need to get my milestone component production line back up)

Shorty on
    @Shorty the website https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/interactive-map might be a useful link for the OP, since players can create those nice maps of their games by uploading save files there.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    rgr

edited April 2020
    So those of you who have done long stretches of train track. It seems to me if I want it nice and orderly, to build the straight stretches first, and then link up the corners afterwards, or else stuff seems like it will always be slightly off and not true.

Also I want ramps and reverse ramps girder pieces.

webguy20 on
    edited April 2020
    Yeah, when I built my train track loop (4km with four stations to connect home base -> bauxite -> compacted coal -> refinery district to drop off bauxite and coal and pick up aluminum ingots -> home base to drop off ingots), I started by choosing the highest altitude point in the loop, which was my home base elevated train station, and then prototyped the entire route with 8x4 foundations. Once that was in place, I installed each station at the different extraction sites, set up my freight arrangements, and then laid track along the entire loop. I plan to go back and rip out most of the prototype foundation, leaving pillars, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

By choosing the highest point to start from, I was able to avoid elevating/depressing the train track. I built all other stations to the track and then dropped/raised the freight using conveyor lifts.

Tynnan on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Yesss.... Satisfactory thread!!!
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So since I came into update 3 with a save from update 2, I had everything through tier 6 unlocked from the space elevator. When I get ready to tackle tiers 7&8 I'm going to have to build the entire infrastructure from scratch to produce the specific parts it wants. I think that is what my desert base is going to be geared towards. I'll probably end up relocating the Hub and Space elevator when I move as well. We'll see.

So a quick primer on the elevator parts, some of them are required for building other elevator parts.

#1 Smart Plating > #4 Modular Engines
    #2 Versatile Framework
    #3 Automated Wiring > #5 Adaptive Control Unit

When building production lines for these, take that into account. For example, a single assembler makes 2 Smart Plating per minute, which is conveniently also the amount per minute you need to make Modular Engines in the manufacturer. However, Adaptive Control Units take 7.5 Automated Wiring per Minute, and the base recipe for Automated Wiring is only 2.5/min per Assembler, so you'll need three.

There ARE alternate recipes for these as well.

Once I've unlocked stuff with the Elevator parts I just keep my production line going and feed it into the shredder for sweet, sweet tickets. Also I built in some overflow on useful components in there like rotors and engines, so keeping them running keeps me supplied.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited April 2020
    Satisfactory Oil Power post.
    I've copied over and combined my last two posts in the PC games thread about Oil Power generation here for posterity.

I made myself a little calculator spreadsheet based entire on how much power you can generate with different oil processing setups. I wanted to figure out what was the optimal result, and how many refineries it would take to pull it off. The results were interesting. Specifically, three recipes change things dramatically.
    • [alt] Residual Fuel - Converts Heavy Oil Residue, a byproduct, directly into fuel. (Learned from Hard Drives)
    • [alt] Heavy Oil Residue - Converts Crude Oil directly into Heavy Oil Residue, with resin as a byproduct. (Learned from Hard Drives)
    • Diluted Packaged Fuel - Converts Heavy Oil Residue and Packaged Water into Packaged fuel. Packaged Fuel is then emptied back into liquid form and piped to generators. Requires multiple extra steps to produce but effectively doubles your fuel amount with the only cost being water and a supply of containers (containers are a closed loop, they get filled, emptied, and looped back around to be filled again)

So, assuming you have a 300 cubic meter/min pipeline of Crude Oil (the max a pipe can currently handle), this is the net power gain, taking into account the power cost of the refineries used.

Producing Fuel, baseline recipe: 1850MW Net Power, plus 150 resin/min
    Producing Plastic, w/ Residual Fuel alt recipe: 316.66MW Net Power, plus 200 plastic/min
    Producing Rubber, w/ Residual Fuel alt recipe: 933.33MW Net Power, plus 200 rubber/min
    Producing Plastic, converting byproduct into Diluted Packaged Fuel: 1600MW Net Power, plus 200 plastic/min
    Producing Rubber, converting byproduct into Diluted Packaged Fuel: 3500MW Net Power, plus 200 rubber/min
    Producing Heavy Oil Residue directly, converting into Diluted Packaged Fuel: 6500MW Net Power, plus 200 resin/minute

So, yeah. converting to Diluted Packaged Fuel, then unpacking it again adds a lot of extra steps to your production line but dramatically increases power output. (this is without taking Turbo Fuel into account either)

With that figured out, this is about as neat and tidy as I can make the setup for it.

TfPsQoa.png?1

There's two things happening here. At the top there are three refiners turning half a pipe (150 cm/min) of crude into fuel, to get my production lines up and running again. It's a super quick and dirty power setup which I needed because if I don't get more power, I can't make the components I need to make more fuel generators. Those six generators there took all I had left.

The bottom half with all the color coded refiners is inactive, but will eventually take the other 150 cm/min of crude and convert it via the Diluted Packaged Fuel Recipe. I can't use it yet because I need to get my computer production up and running before I can make the generators I need for it. (Hence the quick and dirty setup above it). Also I need to get a supply of containers for the packaged water into the system. So I'm using the resin from my simple power setup to make those.

I even made a little flowchart!
    j6qsE1Y.png?1

MuddBudd on
    I still gotta completely rebuild my elevator part production, that's task 4 on my list

edited April 2020
    Shorty wrote: »
    I still gotta completely rebuild my elevator part production, that's task 4 on my list

I have to refactor my Automated Wiring because I am only making 2/3rd of what I need, since I didn't realize ahead of time the amounts for the next tier.

Learn from my mistakes!

-edit-

Actually, 1/3rd, I like to make double amounts for these because they work so well to earn tickets.

MuddBudd on
    edited April 2020
    Something that didn't really click with me until a few days ago was that I could snap a conveyor lift directly onto the input/output of a building or splitter/merger unit. That little chirp you hear is the game saying "this goes! no conveyor needed in between these parts"

It's made a huge difference in improving my overall tidiness, since I don't need to be ramping conveyors all over like I used to think.

Tynnan on
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Something that didn't really click with me until a few days ago was that I could snap a conveyor lift directly onto the input/output of a building or splitter/merger unit. That little chirp you hear is the game saying "this goes! no conveyor needed in between these parts"

You can also snap them to the end of a conveyor or a conveyor pole.

Same rules for Splitters/mergers mostly, although when you snap a splitter ONTO a lift, things get weird.

Yeah, I knew about snapping to conveyors but I hadn't noticed that the same rules apply to the other types of connections.

Another tip, when using the walls with the conveyor holes, run your conveyors from those first before doing the conveyor lift, it'll then run the lift in the correct direction, and give you a chirp if you are trying to link up two wall holes. It won't chirp if there's no conveyor running from the hole first.

Random tip I always forget to mention.

If you are in build mode and middle click while focused on a structure, your intended build changes to that structure. Basically the eyedropper tool from photoshop, or copy/paste. I always forget to use it.

yeah sticking lifts directly onto ports is huge, a real game-changer

you can also put mergers and splitters directly onto lifts, though the game is really finicky about letting you use the side entrances on those

oh another really useful thing is that you can build splitters and mergers directly onto existing conveyors, that tends to be a lot more consistently successful

yeah sticking lifts directly onto ports is huge, a real game-changer

you can also put mergers and splitters directly onto lifts, though the game is really finicky about letting you use the side entrances on those

oh another really useful thing is that you can build splitters and mergers directly onto existing conveyors, that tends to be a lot more consistently successful

Be careful when upgrading belts with splitters and mergers on them. The bug is still there where a tiny piece of the old conveyor will still be left inside the splitter/merger, and thus slow down everything after it. So far I've found its just with the first one in the chain, but still.

I hadn't heard that, good to know

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Looking at the screenshots here I feel like you're all playing the game wrong.

https://youtu.be/t2X3wlvoShg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
    edited April 2020
    On the topic of splitters and mergers, I've been using elevated belts a lot lately because it's easier to elevate belts than to elevate pipes and have to worry about pumps.

If you stack three splitters/mergers onto each other, the top one will be exactly at the level of the shortest possible conveyor lift. Likewise, conveyor poles raised to the third 'snap point' are also exactly at this height. Poles at snap point two are the exact height of two splitters/mergers stacked, as well (of course).

I use this a lot to set up floating splitters that I then know will be perfectly aligned with belts and lifts I have in use. I prefer this to snapping a splitter onto an existing belt because you kind of have to eyeball the alignment, it doesn't snap to grid lines when you are doing that.

MuddBudd on
    edited April 2020
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    On the topic of splitters and mergers, I've been using elevated belts a lot lately because it's easier to elevate belts than to elevate pipes and have to worry about pumps.

If you stack three splitters/mergers onto each other, the top one will be exactly at the level of the shortest possible conveyor lift. Likewise, conveyor poles raised to the third 'snap point' are also exactly at this height. Poles at snap point two are the exact height of two splitters/mergers stacked, as well (of course).

I use this a lot to set up floating splitters that I then know will be perfectly aligned with belts and lifts I have in use. I prefer this to snapping a splitter onto an existing belt because you kind of have to eyeball the alignment, it doesn't snap to grid lines when you are doing that.

I'm doing a lot of the opposite, in big installations I'm running everything underneath the floor, especially pipes, then bringing them up to the equipment that needs them. Pretty much if there is an assembler, power plant, manufacturer or refinery I'm running everything underfloor. Only constructors and smelters get same level belting.

Also to be honest I've never used the variable height conveyor poles. If I need to go above the standard I just use the snapable ones with the ladders on the sides, whatever they are called.

Edit: I also really like that desert at night screen shot with the miners and refineries.

webguy20 on
    edited April 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »

I'm doing a lot of the opposite, in big installations I'm running everything underneath the floor, especially pipes, then bringing them up to the equipment that needs them. Pretty much if there is an assembler, power plant, manufacturer or refinery I'm running everything underfloor. Only constructors and smelters get same level belting.

Also to be honest I've never used the variable height conveyor poles. If I need to go above the standard I just use the snapable ones with the ladders on the sides, whatever they are called.

Edit: I also really like that desert at night screen shot with the miners and refineries.

I run stuff underfloor in my main factory but power plants I tend to just do stuff at 'floor level'.

There was a lot of crazy belt work in that power plant screenshot up there, for sure.

-edit-

I actually use the variable conveyor poles a lot in my 'belt' layer of the factory to weave belts above and below each other.

MuddBudd on
    I put a subfloor in my refinery facility and it was so, so nice, I'm gonna do that everywhere now

I put a subfloor in my refinery facility and it was so, so nice, I'm gonna do that everywhere now

give me hyper tube and pipe foundation mounts so that I don't have to try to glitch them through glass foundations. Also give me conveyor elevator connections that can go vertically through foundations too.

edited April 2020

I made mine only one wall high initially, and that was a mistake. They need to be two walls high to allow belts to move up and down easier. (also just easier to navigate when you can jump over a belt)

I also specifically have separate subfloors for each layer of my steelworks, because it just makes it so much easier to route both iron and coal into there.

MuddBudd on
  • VikingViking Registered User regular

I made mine only one wall high initially, and that was a mistake. They need to be two walls high to allow belts to move up and down easier. (also just easier to navigate when you can jump over a belt)

I also specifically have separate subfloors for each layer of my steelworks, because it just makes it so much easier to route both iron and coal into there.
    2 or more is a must for tidy routing.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    a couple tips:

1) the running slide will go under ground-level belts, provided they're not lower than the entrance point of a standard port (i.e. the entrance of a smelter, splitter, what-have-you)

2) the skeletonized foundations you can buy in the awesome shop let you put stuff through them (lifts or whatever), though obviously they're not super great for running across

edited April 2020
    Viking wrote: »

2 or more is a must for tidy routing.

for me it's less about tidiness within the subfloor

I like not having to worry too much about keeping belts super neat as long as I don't have to look at them all the time

(incidentally this is why I haven't posted any screenshots, ain't nobody needs to see that)

Shorty on
    edited April 2020
    a couple tips:

1) the running slide will go under ground-level belts, provided they're not lower than the entrance point of a standard port (i.e. the entrance of a smelter, splitter, what-have-you)

2) the skeletonized foundations you can buy in the awesome shop let you put stuff through them (lifts or whatever), though obviously they're not super great for running across

Of note, the walkway pieces snap perfectly on top of the frame foundations, btw. So you can neatly cover the sections you aren't routing lifts through. Granted, you don't need frame foundations to do that either way. I tend to use the frames less because they force you to align inputs/outputs to them, and in some cases that's not as space efficient.

-edit-

Example shown here:
    0IV5HY2.png?1

MuddBudd on
    Home base buildings are all complete! Main goals are to build a 2nd set of refineries to process a bunch more plastic to support a 2nd computer manufacturer, which will require me to run a 2nd pipeline, but that won't take too much time. Future factories will use better efficiencies and alt recipes, but this one will be good the way it is.

You can also see my almost complete steel factory off to the left. The top floor will be making encased beams. I just have to switch my power plants to the pure node just to the east, then all 4 normal nodes will fuel ingot production in the steel factory. All conveyors are ran though, at the right levels. All that's left is to build out capacity and install the last couple manufacturers and get them hooked up to the system. I should be cranking out computers and reinforced frames, plus storage units of all the bits.

5321tv5fxats.jpg

Tier 7 factory rebuild, part 2. My rebuilt steel mill is soooooo much cleaner than the previous mess. More productive, too. Eight foundries at 150% producing solid steel ingots gives me 720 steel ingots per minute. They receive a slight excess of iron ingots from the row of five foundries just below them to the right, and coal from the conveyor lift at left. Those 720 steel ingots feed into twelve constructors. Six (purple on the right) produce steel pipes at 200%, and six (white, left) produce beams at 100%. The output is routed back overhead to the second floor of the factory, with one constructor's output of beams is sent across to the concrete plant where one assembler makes encased beams. At this point I don't have much need for bulk encased beams, and I've got a lot stored elsewhere, but it's good to have a trickle being produced. 240 steel pipes per minute from 360 ingots, and 90 beams per minute from 360 ingots.

3gg5bd7rdvxc.jpg

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I unlocked steel production and now I have to bring coal back to my base, I'll probably just get transport set up tonight then start setting up production tomorrow

2x39jD4.jpg
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I unlocked steel production and now I have to bring coal back to my base, I'll probably just get transport set up tonight then start setting up production tomorrow

Coal for the Coal god!

I need to set up some automated quartz processing, just so that I can produce Radar towers on demand.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I made a foundation bridge out to my coal node area and it turns out the foundations there aren't on the same grid as the ones in my base

So I'm probably gonna rip that entire area up and align it to the master grid

And while I'm there I'll have to build more coal plants because I got modular frame and reinforced plate production back online and that put me at like 480/600 megawatts so i probably need double that to handle steel production

2x39jD4.jpg
    Today's tasks, a photographic journal.

sMpneHQ.png?1
    1. Rework some of my sub-layer so I can route a few things better. Gotta bring crystal/silicate for circuit boards. Still a maze down here but so far, I have managed to get stuff where it needs to go.

Kvq1Jz8.png?1
    2. While I am at it, route the output of my 'basic building supplies' production lines to next to my HUB so I don't have to haul my ass to the other side of the factory every once in a while. Plates, rods, steel stuff, concrete, encased beams, even fuel for the jetpack/car, all nicely routed to a much more convenient location.

MjAaPHh.png?1
    3. Add in a loop for my rail station so it's easy for trains to turn around once I start using them to bring in stuff like Bauxite/Aluminum products.

zulwZK3.png?1
    4. Computers! Finally! The last thing I need to automate to make Fuel Generators.

Speaking of which...

JoV1tqT.png?1
    It LIVES.

Iv0QtaR.png?1
    Yes. That will do nicely for now.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Is there an easy way to mass lay down foundation for some of these megastructures?

Also somehow I feel like advancing via setting up inefficient but good enough factories and running the buffer up while I work is against the law in some way >_>

I ate an engineer
    edited April 2020
    milski wrote: »
    Is there an easy way to mass lay down foundation for some of these megastructures?

Also somehow I feel like advancing via setting up inefficient but good enough factories and running the buffer up while I work is against the law in some way >_>

Nah that’s exactly how I play too. It’s more that that’s what I did a few days ago to progress my milestones, and now those lines have done their job so I tore them out.

For big foundation work I put on blade runners and aim just inside the edge of an existing row of foundations. There’s a sweet spot where the new foundation snaps in place nicely.

Tynnan on