As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    That's what I thinking but it had multiple buds so I wasn't sure.

Heck yeah I'm going to replant all the seeds when it blossoms.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Sunflowers can definitely have multiple buds, especially shorter/dwarf varieties like that looks to be!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I started going to my allotment yesterday after a long hiatus. Should have started earlier but the weather has been ultimate butts.

Got some onions, garlic and potatoes to put in first. Still haven't decided what else to get. I was supposed to be having surgery which would put me out of action for basically all of May and June so had planned not to put too much in, but chances are that's going to get postponed so now I don't know what to do.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I done some shopping

v5gae0dmwph3.jpg

Also found this little guy while weeding around the fuschia, growing from a small dead looking bit of pruned wood. I felt so impressed by its determination that I potted it up. A real role model for these challenging times.

mj8vhbm8g47s.jpg

I done some more shopping.

Had an attempt at an alpine display. The little conifer has been in a small pot since last summer and has spent most of the winter on its side, so I thought I'd treat it to a new home.
    r0vce5lspgr2.jpg

And did a pot to hopefully produce some spring colour. Tulips, Scilla campanulata, and violas.
    fbfnfcoy20li.jpg

Also dug out a Calluna (heather) and Pieris from the border and replaced them with a Dryopteris fern. I've wanted to get rid of those 2 for ages because they always looked sickly, I don't think they liked the soil. And I love ferns.
    17ip41bfswt6.jpg

Everything always looks so crummy when it's first planted.

My smallish potted lime tree has like 100 little flower blooms all over it. I figure its too young to give me any real limes, so how aggressively should I be pruning it down?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    My smallish potted lime tree has like 100 little flower blooms all over it. I figure its too young to give me any real limes, so how aggressively should I be pruning it down?

Ideally you want to prune PRIOR to flowering. Here: https://www.pipmagazine.com.au/grow/pruning-citrus/

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Prepping for the growing season right now. This year it's all about the pest prevention.

After last year I have some polytunnel hoops - going to try some of the stuff that just grew weakly last year in a tunnel, and I'm going to put mesh over the brassicas to reduce the caterpillars.

I've got a couple of plastic greenhouses and a cold frame. The greenhouses are going up on legs treated with anti-climb paint to stop the slugs climbing the plastic, similarly I've built some staging for the cold frame that is getting the same treatment. Might put pellets down in the areas that I know the dog can't get at them.

Got a few seeds in the propagator, trying a couple of things outside (radishes, hardy lettuce, mustard leaves) but it might still be too cold. Anything even remotely delicate will need longer indoors/under cover.

In order to limit trips out to my allotment, and to further my quest to slowly take over my brother's garden, I bought a cold frame to have at home for seedlings.

ez0ysgcwtwzp.jpg

Mostly summer bedding plants, but the seeds include butternut squash, peppers, and tomatoes.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So my wife works for a food bank, and they partner with a local non-profit garden (that teaches kids how to garden) to do two big plant sales each year, spring and summer plants respectively. Its a huge weekend long gathering each time and raises a ton of money for the food bank and for the garden program. This year with the whole pandemic thing going on they are scrambling to set up an online ordering portal where people can put in their orders and pay, then do a drive through pickup.

I know people won't be happy they won't get to pick out their own plants, but all the plants are always in great shape, and this is the only way to do it. It will be real nice to grow our own produce this summer. I actually need to get my root vegetable seeds going here soon. We should be past the last frost here in a week or two.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    bah humbug.

Ok so my plants are growing crazy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uSgwaXSXEUG2Bs2c8

lonelyahava on
    Anyone know how I get my plumaria to branch? I'm scared to cut it's head off.

0dSxrcQl.jpg

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I keep meaning to ask about this but I always forget. This is from last season, it just kind of appeared in a previously unremarkable patch of ground in the backyard and shot up about a meter in a couple weeks. I probably wouldn't have paid any attention if it weren't for how tall it grew in such a short time frame, and the fact that bugs seemed to love it because they devoured the hell out of it not long after(you can already see signs of them working it). Does it look familiar to anyone?
    OY4PeQ4.jpg

My plant app says it’s a Tree of Heaven/Stink Tree and google results certainly look like that!

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sounds like some really conflicted branding going on there.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pRQKO0axOo

Found this, turned out to be pretty useful. Looks like that's what it is, and if(seems more like when) it shows up again I'll want to kill it or at least keep uprooting it (or shade it out). I have two ancient cherry trees and a young mulberry back there and I don't care for the idea of this thing coming in and competing them out.

Jedoc wrote: »

Maybe heaven is stinky? How would we know?

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Squirrels have stolen all my sweet pea seeds.

THIS IS WAR

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Maybe heaven is stinky? How would we know?

It's been a while since I was at a Christian university, but I do remember we sang a lot of hymns about trumps sounding.

So...theologically plausible.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I keep meaning to ask about this but I always forget. This is from last season, it just kind of appeared in a previously unremarkable patch of ground in the backyard and shot up about a meter in a couple weeks. I probably wouldn't have paid any attention if it weren't for how tall it grew in such a short time frame, and the fact that bugs seemed to love it because they devoured the hell out of it not long after(you can already see signs of them working it). Does it look familiar to anyone?
    [img]https://i. imgur.com/OY4PeQ4.jpg[/img]

We get those here in Minnesota. They're essentially weeds. Very woody weeds, but still weeds nonetheless.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I am currently attempting to propagate some pothos cuttings from my crested gecko enclosure because I want to start some hanging potted plants for my walls. God speed, little vining plants.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    So like a month ago a bought a purple onion from the store and it started to sprout, which I've never had a store bought onion do:
    wadr0guvag62.png

Chat said plant it, and now I have an onion friend:
    5mt2tsgt0bbt.png

Question: can eat the greens like big chives? They smell like big chives.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    You can eat anything once!

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    forbidden chives

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @Iruka I'm fairly positive 100% of the onion plant is edible

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Except for the swim bladder, that's deadly poisonous

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Onions are toxic to quite a few animals, but not to humans. Which is to say, they have no toxins other than the stuff that makes them taste like onions.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    delicious delicious toxins

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Houseplant update!

My beautiful big peace lily a) flowered and b) continues to thrive, so yay! I’ve had to move it from its place above the fireplace because that’s where my seedlings currently are.
    2020-03-27%2012.29.58.jpg

The croton continues to thrive in my bathroom, for anyone looking for a plant that withstands moist, dim conditions.

Also this philodendron’s leaves are just so beautiful and purple when they first unfurl.
    2020-04-02%2018.59.29.jpg
    2020-04-03%2011.07.47.jpg

These are seedlings I planted less than a week ago. I planted a few too many coreopsis, oops. The seeds were teeny tiny so it was hard to split up. There’s also zinnias and teddy bear sunflowers here:
    2020-04-03%2010.20.49.jpg

Looking back at the photos I posted on the previous page I think the prayer plant here has grown quite a bit! As has the nameless red-leaved plant (which is one of my few houseplants to love full sun and is very happy on my bedroom window sill)
    2020-04-03%2010.21.12.jpg
    2020-04-03%2010.45.45.jpg

Onto my yard. This looks shitty because it’s still early spring and it’s been damp and cold but I like seeing the progress it makes throughout the year!

This bed I cleaned up and weeded the other weekend (at some point I want to edge my beds with nicer edging, but in the meantime I have an abundance of stones. SO MANY STONES.

It’s a bit sparse because some of these plants are growing to grow bigger and need the space. Here I planted: two Salal berry bushes, wild ginger and kinnikinnick. There’s also some plants from the previous year that are growing or that will grow back.
    2020-04-03%2011.15.23.jpg

Ok, that does look really shitty but here’s the bleeding heart that is growing back and I love how it’s looking:
    2020-04-03%2011.15.34.jpg

This also looks shitty, but was quite a bit of effort! The bed is brand new this spring. You can’t see here, but I the wildflower and poppy seeds I sowed here are starting to pop up despite all the snow and hail we’ve had. Also, in each of the circular spots is an Indian plum. The Indian plum grows to 8 ft tall, hence the spacing. They need both a male and female plant to produce fruit so hopefully between the three I have both...

In the corner the raspberry is making a nice comeback. :)
    2020-04-03%2011.16.08.jpg

2020-04-03%2011.16.47.jpg

Another plant currently making a GREAT comeback is the bee balm in the back yard. It’s growing so thick and lush and I can’t wait to see how many flowers it produces! The hummingbirds loved this last year.
    2020-04-03%2011.17.46.jpg

I tore up some of the back yard lawn (which is also shitty! I’m sorry, none of this looks as nice as all of yours) to place this 4’ x 8’ cedar bed. Next year I’d love to add another bed, then even further in the future I’ll probably finish tearing up the whole lawn and will have paving + beds in the back.

The ground is really uneven (this is where the fire pit and dry river bed were last year, which I spent ages removing and filling in), I’ve been doing my best but it could stand to be more even.
    2020-04-03%2011.18.19.jpg

And seriously I have SO MANY STONES... and they keep coming... anywhere you dig in my yard is just more stones, even beneath the lawn (which is partially why it’s so uneven).
    2020-04-03%2011.18.38.jpg

(In the tub is garlic and last year’s parsley)

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Your plants all look so happy!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was moaning to myself about all the nurseries being shut and then I walked past a few while doing a not-job this evening and found out there’s at least two near me that are open! Restricted hours, restricted numbers in-store, but I can nominally buy potting mix and small plants next week.

Now to figure out what plants have the best chance of survival, given they have to cohabit with me,

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Foxglove, belladonna and curare are all too unsafe to eat so they should survive!

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hostas are goddamn near unkillable.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I was moaning to myself about all the nurseries being shut and then I walked past a few while doing a not-job this evening and found out there’s at least two near me that are open! Restricted hours, restricted numbers in-store, but I can nominally buy potting mix and small plants next week.

Now to figure out what plants have the best chance of survival, given they have to cohabit with me,

Maybe an aloe plant or some kind of succulent?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Hostas are goddamn near unkillable.

Unless there are too many deer about, because hostas are deer candy and they will eat the plants to death.

Anyway, my mass of yellow crocuses have just started blooming. Lots of tiny golden spots in the sunny spot by the road. I have the first flowers in the area, so therefore I drove away winter, which means I win.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

Maybe an aloe plant or some kind of succulent?

Mother in Laws Tongue is a very hardy plant. I haven't managed to kill the one my parents gave me.
    And, aside from that droopy leaf that I'm thinking about trimming off, it seems to be doing pretty well.

I'm not sure what the other plant is, but I rescued it from work after it got put into a meeting room and labeled "someone else's problem" by everyone. It was down to two leaves when I brought it home but it seems to be doing pretty well now.

eu90pu2qtdwn.jpg

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    looks like some kind of small philodendron
    but I am basically the opposite of a plant-knowing person so take that with a bucket of salt.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    looks like some kind of small philodendron
    but I am basically the opposite of a plant-knowing person so take that with a bucket of salt.

Could be. It's a weird plant, it's just one long vine with leaves on it, and I've coiled it up in the pot to limit how much it can actually travel so it wouldn't take over my desk.
    I need to get some kind of support frame or something for it to climb.