As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Better Call Saul] S'All Good Man

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    My heart breaks just that little bit more every time Kim steps further and further, little by little, into the abyss. :(

And just think, there's another entire season after this one. This could be agonizing.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sepinwall is preparing a Rhea Seehorn interview I'm guessing to publish after next week's episode. So I'm terrified.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Related note, and I think I have said this before: somewhere someone has written a kick ass dissertation on fan reaction to Kim Wexler vs. Skyler White and I want to read it.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Related note, and I think I have said this before: somewhere someone has written a kick ass dissertation on fan reaction to Kim Wexler vs. Skyler White and I want to read it.

Yeah, I recall reading this a while back: https://www.theweek.com/articles/698738/how-better-call-saul-fixed-breaking-bads-skyler-problem

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Just finished season 4, God what a great show. Jimmy's story could have ended right here and I'd have no complaints.

But now I need to see Michael kill Lalo.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I wonder if he does. Saul never finds out, I should think, going off that BrBa mention of Lalo and Ignacio. Saul seems comfy laying the blame on Nacho, makes me think he ain't making it out of this series alive. :<

Oh brilliant
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Lalo and Breaking Bad season 4
    He definitely bites it, because after the big thing Gus taunts Hector that he's the last Salamanca alive.

RIP Jimmy McGill.
    He's just Saul now.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    RIP Jimmy McGill.
    He's just Saul now.

Pretty much.
    Did I really call that prick ”impish”? I might boot up Doom and apologize to the first imp I see.

This ends on the weirdest proposal ever. Watching Saul drag Kim down is as hard to watch as when Cartman spent a whole season negging his girlfriend Heidi into a clone of himself.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    Oh no, Kim, that's the worst thing you could do.

Nice to see Mike finally come out of his funk and do some cool crime stuff like I've come to expect from the cool crime grandpa.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    That episode was great and had some good laughs in it too.
    Poor Howard suffering at the hands of Jimmy's abuse is quite a thing.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    edited March 2020
    Rehab wrote: »
    That episode was great and had some good laughs in it too.
    Poor Howard suffering at the hands of Jimmy's abuse is quite a thing.

For my part, that was hard to watch.
    Howard over here not holding a grudge even after being put through the wringer by the collective (and massive) powers of the McGill brothers to summon up bullshit and hurl it in his direction like a couple of scatalogical airbenders. And Jimmy decides to make his life miserable, for having the temerity to offer him a job that doesn’t involve getting taken for a ride that might be his last. Maybe even make him a partner.

This whole story thread is the “Walt turns down Gretchen & Elliott” moment for Better Call Saul. This series just kind of flipped that formula on its head. Make us care for Jimmy, then watch him burn his whole world down. Instead of an early “Walt is already the bad guy.” That’s Peter and Vince sticking it in and breaking it off. Not that I’m complaining. I’m glued to my set. I mean have any of us not seen that transpire for someone we care about by middle age, if not early adulthood?

It’s like watching Breaking Bad, but already being somewhat as invested in Walt as Skyler and Walt Jr. It’s gripping TV. And like all great TV (I’m thinking of M*A*S*H, The Sandbaggers, The Shield, and China Beach here), it’s hard to watch sometimes. But you can’t look away. Like the great Priest Vallon said, “don’t never look away.”

That was laying it on thick. Thanks for humoring me. And don’t click that if you’re not up to date on the show.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    Can't help but notice how old Jonathan Banks is looking now compared to S1

I hadn’t really noticed it, but it works in favor of the script, with the city miles he’s been accumulating just in this series alone. Probably, it didn’t stand out to me, as a result of seeing him from his starting point in BCS, for the past few years, and not really going back and re-watching BB since this started. The way they de-aged Saul with just his hairstyle is remarkable, though. And although she wasn’t in BB, Rhea Seehorn must have found the fountain of youth. She’s stunning.

This ep has my favorite Jimmy & Kim moment ever, I was pleased to hear the crew say the same on the Insider Podcast.

It's really noticeable in his face, also, he seems to be walking with a limp now which I can't remember if he had before he was assaulted by that gang (I think he did though).

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    No Kim
    when the ankor is dragging you down, don't wrap the chain around your neck.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Y'all forgetting about
    Marital privilege.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Y'all forgetting about
    Marital privilege.
    They can't charge a husband and wife for the same crime

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Y'all forgetting about
    Marital privilege.
    Just because there is a play doesn't mean you should play.

Jimmy broke her trust. She said it herself. Her initial instinct to just walk away (like in the intro) is the right call.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Y'all forgetting about
    Marital privilege.
    They can't charge a husband and wife for the same crime
    I'm almost completely sure that there are more than enough crimes to go around at this point.
    And, if by some odd chance there aren't, there probably will be by the time this season ends.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Mike and the Librarian
    That probably happens more often than we should be comfortable with in law enforcement.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Lalo is great. He just has big tele-novella villian energy that I am here for. There should be a harmonium playing offscreen every time he appears.

reVerse wrote: »
    Y'all forgetting about
    Marital privilege.

Jimmy broke her trust. She said it herself. Her initial instinct to just walk away (like in the intro) is the right call.
    Oh I agree of course. But it feels like she's desperate to cling to her relationship with Jimmy because otherwise she has to admit she's almost as fucked up as he is

(Also admit that Jimmy's gone)

Cristoval wrote: »
    Lalo is great. He just has big tele-novella villian energy that I am here for. There should be a harmonium playing offscreen every time he appears.

I could write pages about the masculine dichotomy between him and Mike. One reaches out to everyone with casual machismo and zero concern for any of them and the other empathizes with everyone while hiding his own feelings as best he can.

God I love this show.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    All I could think about while watching this latest episode is the parable of the Scorpion and the Frog.

Except everyone is both the Scorpion and the Frog.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Y'all forgetting about
    Marital privilege.

Oh I agree of course. But it feels like she's desperate to cling to her relationship with Jimmy because otherwise she has to admit she's almost as fucked up as he is

(Also admit that Jimmy's gone)
    I think they were implying that she was an addict like her mother - but an addict to a bad relationship not booze.

Okay I'm caught up.

Jimmy you stupid fuck.

edited March 2020
    All I could think about while watching this latest episode is the parable of the Scorpion and the Frog.

Except everyone is both the Scorpion and the Frog.

Yeah, you really have to get into the supporting cast to find exceptions. Francesca hasn’t broken bad yet. The worst we’ve seen from Howard, on a bad day, was cutting through somebody’s yard to get to Chuck’s place unseen.

And Nacho’s dad probably never earned a dishonest dime in his life. It’d be cool to get a flashback to his early years, although I would instinctively view, with dread, that as a setup to his ending up on the less shiny side of “plata o plomo” by episode’s end. I wouldn’t put it past the show runners to name the episode that.

Zoku Gojira on
    Y'all forgetting about
    Marital privilege.

8-)

***Serious spoiler***

Nobody
    complicates their life quite like Jimmy. He marries Kim, and puts the ring on the cartel’s finger.

Good to see Herr Schuler alive and, okay, maybe not so well. But over what, five and a half million he’s into this? It doesn’t seem like that should be a problem for Fring, if not Bolsa, to make good on. And he was talking like there was already a plan to do so, but suddenly money is tight?

Or were Gus and Lydia just hanging him out to dry? She certainly didn’t appear to be inconvenienced very much by his implication and subsequent suicide in BB.

“What happened to the missing five mil?”
    “Oh, apparently Herr Schuler embezzled it. It’s probably spread out over a bunch of offshore banks. You think you know someone...”

That’s cold, Gus. Have you forgotten Santiago?

edited March 2020
    Y'all forgetting about
    Marital privilege.

8-)
    Nobody forgot about that, it was just an obviously bad play.

Getting married, right after you screwed over Mesa Verde, is in and on itself a problem. What about when someone finds out, notices you guys did it right after what Jimmy did and puts two and two together? "Why are you getting married now, shouldn't you be angry at him?" Especially when there's already people who suspect wrongdoing. And of course, since they got married afterwards, none of that stuff is covered by marital privilege anyway.

And then this week they made it even worse with the "always tell each other everything" clause! Like, seriously, if you're intent on sticking together, how about a simple "no scheming together" rule. I mean, sure, they'd break it sooner than later, but at least it makes sense. Telling each other about all the unethical/unlawful things you're doing is just going to poison everything and sour your relationship. Ever heard of a thing called plausible deniability? Combine that with marital privilege and maybe you got something going on.

And you know, what happens when Kim gets into some trouble, or has some sort of ethical dilemma, and Jimmy decides to help out. Kim's all "no, I'll handle it", but you think that's going to stop Jimmy? Aww hell no, he'll get involved and shit's gonna fry up.

It's a good set up for a tragedy, but it is a tragedy.

reVerse on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Jimmy getting a little uncorked for a second there

I am amused at Mike's efforts and then his other efforts

This felt like a penultimate episode but the season can't be almost over yet can it?

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    This felt like a penultimate episode but the season can't be almost over yet can it?
    No. Three more to go:

5x8 -- Apr 06, 2020 -- Bagman.
    5x9 -- Apr 13, 2020 -- Bad Choice Road.
    5x10 -- Apr 20, 2020 -- Something Unforgivable.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That last title sure does bode.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    That last title sure does bode.
    In terms of foreboding, it is indeed the bode-i-ist of bodes that, verily, it exudes. :P :snap:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    I mean once you go down Bad Choice Road there's only so many destinations

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Bad Choice Road could have been the title for so many episodes by now.

NNID: Rehab0
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Bad Choice Road could have been the title for so many episodes by now.

Or just a subtitle for the series.
    Better Call Saul: Bad Choice Road.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I guess three more episodes is better than one more episode

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Also, one of the food franchises was called "Luftwaffle", which is a joke from The Onion :biggrin:

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Welp.
    Lalo knows Kim's face. That's not good.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Welp.
    Lalo knows Kim's face. That's not good.
    Probably her name as well if he was smart enough to read her badge, and history has shown he is more than smart enough.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish