As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Keep your human antivirus up to date

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    So has there been any word on new graphics cards releasing this year? I'm looking to upgrade, but want to see what's coming out later if that's known.

Theoretically it will happen this year. Probably Q3 or Q4, but no one knows for sure except AMD and Nvidia. The current global situation could obviously play a big role in swinging that in a different direction.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So has there been any word on new graphics cards releasing this year? I'm looking to upgrade, but want to see what's coming out later if that's known.

Theoretically it will happen this year. Probably Q3 or Q4, but no one knows for sure except AMD and Nvidia. The current global situation could obviously play a big role in swinging that in a different direction.

I think the current rumor floating around is an August reveal/release for Ampere.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Noctua D15 arrived. It was a bit of a faff to install, but to be fair it's huuuuuge.

Initially I was a bit disappointed when I powered the PC up "That's not silent at all" I thought.

On investigation, the Noctua is quiet as shit. It was just that I could now clearly hear the GPU fan...

Overall noise is down a fair bit though, and CPU temps are down something like 12-14C so that's a definite win.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the D15 is a whole hunk of metal and is the benchmark for a reason.

• Options
    I'm planning to upgrade the GPU anyway unless Navi 2 is an absolute disappointment. I will investigate quietness options at that time. What's the fashion in regard to non watercooling options for quiet GPUs?

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man that is an expensive cooler. Comes up at $140cdn, is that the regular price or just increase because of current covid climate?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

In January, Lisa Su said that "Big Navi" was coming this year but that was also in January before well...everything else happened. If the console market is still on track for an Autumn/Winter launch though, it seems fair to assume that the equivalent PC parts will be as well.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Yeah, the D15 is a whole hunk of metal and is the benchmark for a reason.

Before I went with AIO the D15 was under consideration. I chose water because I'd wanted something like that for a while and the D15 is, indeed, quite large.

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    Man that is an expensive cooler. Comes up at $140cdn, is that the regular price or just increase because of current covid climate?

Seems to be the regular price. I was going to upgrade my cooling when I upgraded my CPU, but what with lockdowns and WFHs and whatnot, I thought I might as well get the benefit of it sooner rather than later.

It really is big and quiet though. Very big. Very quiet.

• Options
    I have the Wraith that comes with AMD right now, but def not happy with temps...ill take a look at grabbing this possibly

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I've been using the same NH-D14 for almost a decade now, it's been in 3 different PCs with no complaints.

They're expensive up front, and they're hard to install because they're so big you're almost assured to cut your fingers on fins at least once, but they're so very quiet, and they never break.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I've been using the same NH-D14 for almost a decade now, it's been in 3 different PCs with no complaints.

They're expensive up front, and they're hard to install because they're so big you're almost assured to cut your fingers on fins at least once, but they're so very quiet, and they never break.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, this beast will last me a while

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    I have the Wraith that comes with AMD right now, but def not happy with temps...ill take a look at grabbing this possibly

Look at the Scythe Fuma 2 It is comparable if not quieter then the Noctua with the same cooling capacity, for 60$ US. I use it with my 3900x and it is a dream.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

I think the current rumor floating around is an August reveal/release for Ampere.

Yeah what I read was that August/September was always going to be the consumer card release and that March was the server card. The other rumor is that Nvidia is waiting to see what AMD does in terms of performance/price.

Could also be looking at a price gouging or sold out situation given the global situation whenever they do come out. Especially if these new cards are the kind of performance jump folks are rumoring.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

I'm going to use this Noctua NH L9a? Seems pretty well reviewed, should do for a 65W Ryzen.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    I'm building a compooter too! It's a Ryzen 3600 with a RTX 2060!

Lower is better, right?

I have an R5 3600 paired with a 2060 Super and it's a really solid PC. Can't take full advantage of my 1440p/155Hz monitor, but it does well and I often see >60FPS in modern titles with high graphics settings.

With DLSS 2.0 support being added to more and more games (Control and Mechwarrior 5 being big ones for me), performance has only improved.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hey, PC building thread, quick question: Should I assemble and test that the parts work before putting it into a case? Should I do it immediately before putting it in the case, or can I do it, say, a day before? Ideally I would want to assemble the parts and keep them that way until the case actually is delivered to me, but I'm worried about dust and sunlight.

(My case doesn't arrive until at least tomorrow.)

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I would personally recommend waiting for the case.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Doesn't everybody do a build and test on the motherboard box before they commit to installing in the case?

• Options
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I don’t. I’m of the belief the longer your hardware is unprotected the more chance you have of something bad happening to it.

Like you go to bathroom, forget to close the door, and your cat hocks a huge hair ball on the GPU.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I have 3 cats that are confident they own the house. No fucking way would I leave hardware out unprotected or have anything running out of the case. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I started off doing pre-builds...these days I throw it all together and hope for the best. Generally works well!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Alright. starting to finalize my new PC upgrades using partpicker, already bought the GPU. Would have chosen better but trying to work under a 450$ budget.

-RX 580 8GB

- AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor

- ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Site says theres no compatibility issues but does it look alright to you guys? Also have a 500w bronze PSU which I'm assuming will be good enough and not have to upgrade that yet. Figure this can keep me going on modern games for two or three years on medium settings at 1600x900.

About the CPU though, is there really a huge difference between six cores and eight cores to keep it going for a lil longer?

The Ryzen 3700X is eight versus the 2600's six but userbenchmark is only listing a 11% performance increase.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/4043vs3955

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Don't trust user benchmark for anything other than "maybe" a high level comparison for older processors. The site is straight up SEO (search order optimization) trash.

Looking around other places looks like you are going to get at least a 25% perf improvement with the 3700x over 2600 and 50%+ with things utilizing more cores.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Alright. starting to finalize my new PC upgrades using partpicker, already bought the GPU. Would have chosen better but trying to work under a 450$ budget.

-RX 580 8GB

Site says theres no compatibility issues but does it look alright to you guys? Also have a 500w bronze PSU which I'm assuming will be good enough and not have to upgrade that yet. Figure this can keep me going on modern games for two or three years on medium settings at 1600x900.

About the CPU though, is there really a huge difference between six cores and eight cores to keep it going for a lil longer?

The Ryzen 3700X is eight versus the 2600's six but userbenchmark is only listing a 11% performance increase.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/4043vs3955

6 will be fine with that video card. Worry about upgrading the CPU after you upgrade the GPU

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    The 2600 is a good match to that GPU.

But userbenchmark is shit.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I'm not very computer building savvy (and I used to be a lot worse), trying to learn so I appreciate the warning about Userbenchmark.

I had been using that a lot. >_<

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    If I am doing something where I'm not 100% sure it's going to work or will be easy to fix I will build it outside but if everything is brand new and no crazy setup I will toss it in the case and hope for the best.
    It helps that most cases these days are a fucking dream to work in compared to 5+ years ago.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Case shopping is the #1 thing I'll miss with Fry's death. It's really hard to get a good grasp of a car just looking at specs, much less trying to compare them

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    DLSS 2.0 is some dark fucking magic. I fired up MW5 to give it a whirl and... set to "quality" I get a sold FPS boost and texture detail goes up? Noticeably so.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Nice, I’ll have to give MW5 a try again.

I also really want to try minecraft once they release that RTX update. Will be fun just messing around.

Dixon on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I am super excited to play some Minecraft again when the RTX update hits.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Thanks for the input guys. Changed my internet plan to Unlimited starting next billing cycle.

In other news, fuck everything is expensive now due to COVID-19.

Likely due to combination of more people working from home and overseas suppliers impacted by the pandemic

The monitor I was interested in is now jumped to an extra $70AUD.

AND it's out of stock.

Hopefully better monitors get released later in the year, because this suuucks.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Though it's largely used for GPUs, www.logicalincrements.com is good help for choosing CPUs and some other components.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

-RX 580 8GB

The 1600 AF is essentially the same processor as the 2600. The naming is confusing but it's essentially a slightly lower binned and slightly lower clocked 2600.

But it costs EIGHTY-FIVE DOLLARS: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/dp/B07XTQZJ28/

So I would get that since you're working on a tight budget. Do you already have an SSD?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

-RX 580 8GB

The 1600 AF is essentially the same processor as the 2600. The naming is confusing but it's essentially a slightly lower binned and slightly lower clocked 2600.

But it costs EIGHTY-FIVE DOLLARS: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/dp/B07XTQZJ28/

So I would get that since you're working on a tight budget. Do you already have an SSD?
    Already have an HDD and SSD.

SSD is kind of small (about 250 gb) but I use it pretty much exclusively for games.

• Options
    You will fill up 250Gb real fast with the games available these days. But you can always get another, bigger SSD when your cash reserves have recovered a bit.

Noctua update: I notice that the ol' 2700, which used to boost up to just under 4.0Ghz, now boosts up to 4.1Ghz. I don't have any overvolting or any of that jazz going on; this is just the normal operation of the chip. It never went over 3990Mhz before.

Ryzen boost clocks work from the strongest constraint of heat, voltage and core silicon quality. Apparently I was mildly thermally constrained. I bought the thing because I wanted less noise, but I'm happy to get a quantum of extra performance too.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Do you boot off your SSD? Because you should boot off your SSD.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Do you boot off your SSD? Because you should boot off your SSD.
    HDD has pretty much everything.

SSD is only for hobby stuff, I don't have anything important on it or running off it.

This discussion has been closed.