As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Uhhh, I don't know if it's one of my ridiculously high skills (300+, probable) or if something is broken (also possible), but I unlocked the trading perk to barter settlements, walked up to a Sturgian I'd never met before, asked to barter, and asked him to give me his city and castle for nothing. He accepted.

Edit: Just did again for another city, 2 castles, all of his denars, and all of his horses. It's weird because the whole reason I bumped my charm up that high was I was trying to see if/how it affected persuasion attempts, and most of the choices are like 59% success chance.

Edit 2: I think it might be related to bartering for settlements. I tried bartering with another guy for just his money and horses and he wouldn't accept. Settlements seem to have some negative value, or are wrapping around or something.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    That export/import mod does say it works for you and your companions.

With two patches in the first week, I'm hesitant to throw any mods into the mix just yet. I don't really mind not having a trader / XO companions, I just assumed caravans / separate parties were intended to be led by such. If they don't exist, I have to assume those elements aren't going to be at a disadvantage for not having them.
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    So the game has assigned me an age, and counts the days in game.
    Can i die of old age? Can other characters die of old age? What happens if i just keep wandering around for decades?
    I suspect that depends on whether you are able to evade capture by your second-born and your first-born's widow long enough for the sibling you exiled to return with an army to stop them.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    According to randos on the Steam board, the age thing isn't actually doing anything right now. Eventually death via aging will be a thing when the devs implement it, but right now it's just a number.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Is it just me, or does the map feel smaller than in Warband?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    New Patch 1.0.3 fixes just one issue: corrupted save files after a certain number of saves.

causality.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    So for those bouncing off smithing, apparently most of the weapons/weapon components are locked to multiplayer only because, uh, reasons, I guess?

If you're like me and believe this is Certainly A Decision The Designers Can Make, you can open up crafting_templates.xml in the game's moduledata directory and replace every instance of mp_piece="true" with mp_piece="false".

Enjoy having four hundred more bits to work with!

(Well, once you unlock them in-game by making stuff, that is.)

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

The map represents more area but it feels like things are a lot more packed in with many more narrow passages through mountains.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Are you using fast-forward when traveling a lot?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    A bit.

Edit: But I did in Warband too, and it still felt more spacious

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    A bit.

Edit: But I did in Warband too, and it still felt more spacious

I have a feeling there are more places to visit in Bannerlord dotting the map which may affect how the size feels. It took a lot longer to find anything worth stopping at in Warband. There are huge chunks of the map I've yet to visit partly because I have enough to do in just the Empire and Battonia regions.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Yeah, the maps in Warband and a lot of the big mods like Pendor were downright desolate by comparison.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Well that was awkward. I just had to square off against my pregnant wife in the finals of my city's tournament.

Sorry, honey, no mercy when money is on the line.

• Options
    Well that was awkward. I just had to square off against my pregnant wife in the finals of my city's tournament.

That's Dwarf Fortressy as hell.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Maybe if she was wielding the baby...

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Or if she had the baby between rounds, and then suddenly you're up against your newborn child at the EVO grand finals.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    They fixed a critical issue that would corrupt save files after a certain amount of saves.
    That might have been my issue, i save early, and often.

• Options
    They fixed a critical issue that would corrupt save files after a certain amount of saves.

I do too, so I was surprised I wasn't hit by it, but I've also been creating a new save at certain points, so that could explain it.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Or if she had the baby between rounds, and then suddenly you're up against your newborn child at the EVO grand finals.

I had an Empire recruit make it into the final round of the tournament one time. Might as well have been fighting an actual baby.

• Options
    Some random things that I saw today that I thought was cool:

During a tournament, a guy on foot saw a riderless horse and ran up to it and climbed on. It was shot out from under him before he could complete the animation, but still. A for effort.

Creating a new party, putting a companion in command, and watching them run around recruiting people from villages (you would see a green "+2 recruits" or whatever above their model).

I also ran into a new bug that I wonder if a recent patch added, or if it's something I/a mod did. I can't seem to talk to other members of armies anymore, only the leader. I used to get a menu, but now it just goes straight to a conversation with the leader.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Peeked at the xml file defining the wanderer templates. There are 67 of them, 10-13 per culture and there are a few who are assigned blacksmith, politician, manager, engineer, and commander 'trait' properties, but campaign generation seems to always pick the same 17.

Every Sturgian, 4 Imperials (Black, Robber, Wronged, Wanderer), two Battanians (Healer, Red), and one Vlandian (the also Wronged')

I grafted all the unrepresented traits onto a Sturgian, and they appeared to work as expected, but it seems the characters who normally possess them never get picked

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options

I do too, so I was surprised I wasn't hit by it, but I've also been creating a new save at certain points, so that could explain it.
    I was working with 3 rotating saves.
    Will start to just make a new save every couple hours from now on.

Well, new game in full swing, making money bit slower without the smithing stamina exploit, but I am sitting on 17k at day 80, so not terrible.
    One of my 3 companions has hit smithing 25 as well, and other two are close to twenty.
    Will soon have enough to get a workshop that should cover most of the payroll.

Trade is leveling slower, might need to take week or two to just do trade runs with hardwood and silver ore. And maybe iron. That seems to have decent margins as well. Steward on the other hand has been going up nicely, maybe switch from quartermaster to scout soon.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Biggest flaw with silver trade seems to me be limited demand, prices start dropping fast if you sell in bulk.
    But it does make lot of money.

Main reason I keep going on about hardwood to charcoal method is that the price seems very stable, and you get smithing xp on top of it.

Also, i like the idea of making my own custom masterwork sword once I get smithing high enough.

Silver trade follows the old school Colonization model. Sell all the silver until the market collapses. Then move on to ...furs/coats or something.

I've got 25k denars now. I think I have to work up to buying a city. Or completing that quest for founding a kingdom or however that works.

I've also gotten more accustomed to the horse-based fighting. It's a bit annoying to have to actually aim down to catch people on the swing as you ride past. It makes sense, but it's awkward control-wise.

• Options
    Biggest flaw with silver trade seems to me be limited demand, prices start dropping fast if you sell in bulk.
    But it does make lot of money.

Main reason I keep going on about hardwood to charcoal method is that the price seems very stable, and you get smithing xp on top of it.

Also, i like the idea of making my own custom masterwork sword once I get smithing high enough.

Silver trade follows the old school Colonization model. Sell all the silver until the market collapses. Then move on to ...furs/coats or something.

I've got 25k denars now. I think I have to work up to buying a city. Or completing that quest for founding a kingdom or however that works.

I've also gotten more accustomed to the horse-based fighting. It's a bit annoying to have to actually aim down to catch people on the swing as you ride past. It makes sense, but it's awkward control-wise.

Oh God trying to aim down is so awkward.
    I get wanting a combat system that appears realistic, but I do wish there was some degree of aim assist (also aiming mark for melee).
    That said, trying to hit the mountain bandit riders is even worse, i get no feel for horse movement so neither of us can hit the other until we are surrounded by infantry that kills one of us depending on whose infantry got the first.
    Hopefully this gets better at higher riding skill (around 40 now, it is going up, but slowly).

• Options
    I maxed out the height for my character, which means I also have to aim down to talk to a lot of people. They could do some tweaking with targeting in general. I made a one handed sword with a length of 128, so that has helped with combat a little. I still need to get better at timing.

If you're curious about the quest to found a kingdom and what you have to do, here are the steps as best as I can remember, starting with once you're on your own:
    1. Ask 10 nobles about the object. This seemed to entail the leaders of factions and other high ranking nobles. I don't think you have to do them in a certain order, so you should be able to hang around a faction's area finding their people before moving to the next. Using the encyclopedia and the Track button on a settlement makes finding them a little easier.
    2. You have to meet with 2 different people in 2 different (but fairly nearby) cities. They'll both send you to clear a hideout and get an item, which you need both of, then you pick one to go back to depending on if you want to work to help the empire or destroy it.
    3. You either give the item to a faction leader, which I don't know where it goes from there, or found your own kingdom to take over. In order to found your own, you have to get your clan to level 3, have 100 troops in your party, be independent (you can be under a mercenary contract, but not a vassal), and own a settlement. After that, go back to the person you went with and you'll create your kingdom. If you're under contract, you seem to break it with no consequences.

For the last one, I couldn't figure out how to capture a settlement while being independent. I captured a castle as a mercenary, but of course you don't get it. I don't know if it's possible to get awarded one as a mercenary, or if you just have to bite the bullet and declare war on a faction by yourself. I guess you could buy one if you get your trade high enough, but I don't know what they're supposed to cost. They're basically free at the moment, at least for me. I just ended up using the console to give myself the castle I captured, and that worked.

The quest continues on after that, but that's what you need for the kingdom.

• Options
    If i choose to help the empire, can i become the emperor/empress?

• Options
    If i choose to help the empire, can i become the emperor/empress?

It sounded like you could either support one of the current faction leaders, or try to become emperor yourself.

Also, this is a pretty interesting read: https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/fu54tu/cut_and_legacy_content_a_list_of_all_cut_content/

It includes a list of possible unique companions to come:
    There's enough content here that I decided to split it off to a new list. There's so much (including full dialogue, stats, equipment, friends and enemies) that it's very possible that these will be the companions we see implemented in game later.

The following are the companions listed in companion_strings.xml and companions.xml in SandBox:

Petrys, an Imperial scholar that can let you greet new lords by acknowledging their ancestry, getting you an occasional relationship boost

Osarios, a veteran legionnaire, he can help you train the infantry

Senon, an overly honest engineer, speeds up siege construction and lets you build a 'counterweight trebuchet'

Haldea, a matronly older Imperial woman woman who wants to beat the shit out of the men in the Empire until they realize they're being a bunch of pussies and decide to be competent. No really. No ability is listed.

Chara, an Imperial border ranger. Interestingly enough, she is the only companion with her stats and dialogue commented out. No ability listed besides "Scarred" being written twice under her name for some reason.

Boscoric, a former zealot rebel in the Embers and herbalist. Perks are listed as 'herbalism' and 'charisma'

Ewyn, a merchants daughter from Geroia who was taken as a slave by one 'Aldric of Tihr' (one comment also lists an alternate backstory of being kicked out from her family for falling in love with a poor boy which seems counterproductive and less interesting). Perk is 'surgery' and she's listed as wanting to hunt down Aldric. Hilariously enough, she has a third possible backstory listed of "aristocratic maiden left in wake of an army'. Her actual bio seems to be a mix of al three.

Arigun, a former member of a smuggling ring who speaks partially in thieves cant. Listed perk is 'Knows back door into cities on west of map'

Tabur a fucking straight up aristocrat hedonistic capitalistic fat cat party crasher AND thief who exists purely to party (while not invited) so hard until he fucks the wrong dude's wife. The man is such an absolute unit that he also knows all the back doors into cities (except in the east) from quietly exiting on walks of shame (despite him feeling none)

A companion with no backstory besides 'desert fugitive' named 'Lath'

Sabila, a caravaneer's daughter who lost the caravan through bad business decisions. No perk listed, though there is a line implying she could get you work if you hung around caravans

Urgil, a coalbiter (someone who tells stories around a hearth (from the Old Norse Kolbitar, literally coalbiter, named as such because they'd lean so close to the hearth during stories that they were practically eating the coal, Tolkein is the one who rediscovered the word from Norse sagas). No perk listed, but also listed as being able to get you work around caravans

Yarka, a shieldmaiden who killed her husband after being denied divorce. Her dialogue and stats were eventually used for the random companions, also could get you caravan work

Pol, a smith that is listed as both 'foul-tempered' and 'goodtempered'. Has only two lines of very small dialogue, though he seems nicer than mean. No perk listed, though smithing would be an obvious one

Imulir, a crazy lady who thinks she's under a curse that makes all men fall in love with her. No perk listed besides caravan work again

Ferionn, a professional furry who grew up covering himself in shit and now hangs out at bars covered in dirt and rotting wolf skin and telling people about his favorite fursona and Sonic OC's (he's a Batanian Wolfskin who was too much of a furry even for them). Perks are scouting and pathfinding in woods

Cadugan, professional horse thief and amateur lovable scamp, no perk listed

Surgai, a Khuzait chieftain's son who was taken hostage in the Empire and now wants to modernize the Khuzait. Has almost no dialogue and no perk listed

Ger, a half-man crazy man who believes he is vibrating so quickly that he is randomly moving between reality and the underworld. On a quest to save his mother. No perk listed

Khachin, a former slave pit fighter who was used as an exotic arena Amazon. Going to make an aside here to take note that the next three companions are also all commented out, have no dialogue (besides Dewanos having a line) and no stats (besides Dewanos), however, they're incredibly interesting because they are all from different parts of the Warband world we've never seen before. Namely China, India, and Ethiopia (or at least their equivalents)

Dewanos. Grew up in a monastery in the Calradian equivalent of Ethiopia and is now an onk (Megwazi (Ethiopian) for 'to travel'). His single line of dialogue implies his perk was also herbalism

Lantius, a Mohist (Chinese school of thought) siege engineer. Perk was presumably siege related

Parakrama, a possibly Indian smith. Perk was presumably smithing related

In wanderer_strings.xml there are even more companions. These seem to be the randomly generated ones we have now, however while commented out, many of them do not appear in game. I am unsure if this is from a bug or just lack of implementation. The file says that Engineers are to come from the Empire, Serai, Khuzaits, Surgeons are to come from the Empire (female only), Aserai, Vlandia, and Herbalists are to come from Sturgia (female only), Battanians (female only) and Vlandia.

• Options
    Haldea, a matronly older Imperial woman woman who wants to beat the shit out of the men in the Empire until they realize they're being a bunch of pussies and decide to be competent. No really. No ability is listed.

I must hire her into my party. 0.0

• Options
    Oh hey, they tweaked weapons in armor in towns, maybe crossbows got a beat cheape--

q0nnp9xaqgxu.png

Sigh.

(all weapons have literally doubled in price)

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Oh hey, they tweaked weapons in armor in towns, maybe crossbows got a beat cheape--

q0nnp9xaqgxu.png

Sigh.

/facepalm
    Should have bought that crossbow before saving and shutting the game.

• Options
    "A crossbow! A crossbow! My kingdom for a crossbow!

"No, like, literally."

• Options
    So it seems like only the designated Surgeon's medical skill may be applied to a party? That could get a bit rough. A huge part of how I got through PoP was stacking surgery on both the companion npc medic and the player character to not loose high level units left and right.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    So...has anyone been able to get siege engines running when they attack a castle?

I've gone up against two now and I cannot get any of them. I just have big Xs

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options

q0nnp9xaqgxu.png

Sigh.

They said they adjusted "production," so perhaps this new price point reflects substantial improvements in worker benefits and safety!

In other news:

I absolutely cannot get these companions killed. Which I guess is normally a good thing, but I'm trying see if one of the 50 unused companions will pop up when one of the original 17 dies. I put them down myself twice, to no avail, then switched to hunting Sea Raiders (naked) in case friendly fire doesn't count.

Is there a more lethal bandit type out there? Forest bandits, maybe (more likely to get a headshot)?

• Options
    Koreg wrote: »
    So...has anyone been able to get siege engines running when they attack a castle?

I've gone up against two now and I cannot get any of them. I just have big Xs

I've had the same issue. I wonder if you need other parties with you, or an "army" to do it.

• Options
    Mounted archers are great, wish i had upgraded some earlier.
    Just slaughtered a group of 30+ sea raiders with half their number of mounted archers just running circles around them and occasionally slamming into them with all the mounted troops on follow.

• Options
    Looks like the most recent patch fixed the items being multiplayer only. I thought it might be a bug and not intentional.

• Options
    I'm discovering the more I play that a lot of the initial character creation choices are massive traps with the way the game is currently designed.

Anything that gives you points into weapon skills is a massive waste because those skills increase at a good pace on their own, whereas "softer" skills like Charm and Leadership are virtually impossible to level. I've been leading a warband of like 40 people with 60-70 morale for over an in-game year, with 3 Focus Points into Leadership, and I have yet to gain enough XP in it to get a single skill level. Steward flies up as well.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So, I give rousing speeches to my men before battle.

I assume this is standard practice for everyone.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    So, I give rousing speeches to my men before battle.

I assume this is standard practice for everyone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/ftuafg/criken_gives_his_troops_a_rousing_speech/

• Options
    Am I crazy or do I get way more troop experience when I send troops than when I lead the fight myself?