As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    For my next base I need to set up a good main bus system for materials. The current one is small enough I can hoof it around or hypertube to get bits and bobs. It would be nice to have it all in one place though, especially once it gets huge.

I'm really hoping for teleporters in a later tier. That would be so sweet. Let each one consume a gigawatt or two or something, make them hard, but god would they be useful. I mean I could build a hypertube cannon, but I do like the elegance of teleportation.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Is there an easy way to mass lay down foundation for some of these megastructures?

Also somehow I feel like advancing via setting up inefficient but good enough factories and running the buffer up while I work is against the law in some way >_>

Nah that’s exactly how I play too. It’s more that that’s what I did a few days ago to progress my milestones, and now those lines have done their job so I tore them out.

For big foundation work I put on blade runners and aim just inside the edge of an existing row of foundations. There’s a sweet spot where the new foundation snaps in place nicely.

Ive seen some youtube people using mods that let you copy/paste stuff which would make mega-fundations pretty easy but I haven't yet had any projects big enough that it seemed worth it to install one

2x39jD4.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It would be cool if tier 9-10 actually let you go to one of the moons to strip mine it. Instead of trains you have straight up rocket ships.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »
    For my next base I need to set up a good main bus system for materials. The current one is small enough I can hoof it around or hypertube to get bits and bobs. It would be nice to have it all in one place though, especially once it gets huge.

I'm really hoping for teleporters in a later tier. That would be so sweet. Let each one consume a gigawatt or two or something, make them hard, but god would they be useful. I mean I could build a hypertube cannon, but I do like the elegance of teleportation.

I'm implementing a conveyor bus at my main base right now. Unlocking Mk.5 conveyors makes things possible in a way that just doesn't work at the prior tiers. I'll still need to have several local segments for screws and quickwire, but overall I get to streamline quite a bit. It helps a lot that alclad sheets are much quicker to produce than encased beams, once aluminum production is set up. I'll post screenshots once things are in a state I'm only mildly discontented with.

Tynnan on
    Turn on your adblocker before venturing forth, but there are some great infrastructure shots. Oh the pipes!

Gizmodo - An artificial cave 200' below central park

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Now that my power is stable again, I took a break to go hunt more hard drives. I've gotten most of the easily obtainable ones now. All that's left is some stragglers in the Northern Forest (which I find hard to navigate), and the central plateau, which is, of course, hell.

Need to get me one of the alternate cable recipes to make Automated Wiring a less tedious production line.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited April 2020
    An illustration of how nice it is to have good conveyor throughput (and a few more hours under my belt for better planning sense):

My home factory when I was making elevator parts ad hoc (granted, I stack floors so there's some visual mess regardless, but I think you'll get the picture. Just take a look at this spaghetti bullshit.):
    cz4tavfabdja.jpg

My home factory as it currently stands, mid-rebuild. I'm doing three or four floors, depending on how things shake out. Ingots enter the bottom floor (and second floor for aluminum and copper to make alclad -- no assemblers in the basement). Primary constructor products are routed to the second floor, where I'll have a simple bus for iron assembler parts. Tech components will be assembled on the third floor, so I'm routing copper sheets, quickwire, rubber, and plastic directly there. Currently I have half the basement installed (iron constructors and one quickwire line. Need to add a quartz line and a caterium -> wire -> cable line as well), as well as six assemblers on the second floor producing alclad sheets.
    0jnamiz708dt.jpg

Tynnan on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    My kingdom to be able to build signs

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah that would be nice

beacons are useful but not quite enough

edited April 2020
    There's even space on most of the equipment/storage bins. You could easily add it to all the custom wall pieces too, over the doors, over each conveyor input, etc etc. I saw a reddit mockup once that was real nice.

For all the smelters, refineries, constructors, etc etc... you could have it automated, have a sign like on the train depots and have it automatically display whatever recipe is selected.

webguy20 on
    The paintball gun is somewhat helpful for labeling storage. Just gotta pick a scheme and stick to it.

For storage I just put a single length of conveyor belt on the output so a single unit of the stored item sits on it.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I usually go with a short conveyor on the output. So I just have a dazzling bazaar of components laid out for me.

umt5us3ancvs.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
    You can also use Dismantle mode to quickly inspect a container's contents. If you mouse over an object in Dismantle, it will tell you what you'll get for dismantling it - which, for a container, includes its contents.

I do the short conveyor too. It's super useful, and cute!

I know there's workarounds, I use color coding right now, but I'd much rather be able to plaster industrial letters across stuff.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Information on the Steam release

TL;DR

-Originally aiming for an April release, but now for May.
    -Aiming for crossplay between Steam and Epic, just figuring out how that will wind up working.

20 Foundries turning ore into Steel. I know it's not huge for some ya'll, but this is the biggest steel operation I've done to date, and it's all nice and tidy. I just need to wrangle up a couple more power slugs to OC the iron miner MkII to max out the production.

vjnyeix3vvhl.jpg

I'm always amazed by the super efficient setups

I'm still very fond of my own mishmash sprawling across nature

I like these setups because I have all my inputs at one end of the building, and all my outputs at the other, usually leading up to another floor. It makes it nice if I need to upgrade, say with MkIII miners and MKV belts, I can just unbuild the end of the building, stretch it out and add new buildings and belts and I'm off to the races again, and it all still fits in the scheme.

I stumbled upon a really efficient constructor setup. Pictured is my factory's first floor, looking down the row of constructors making iron plating:

uskt8zeadsdz.jpg

A central conveyor of iron ingots is raised to the shortest lift level (three stacked splitters high from the floor). Splitters at one-foundation intervals feed constructors facing outward, for as long of a stretch as you have conveyor capacity. I'm running 10 per side, for 600 base ingots per minute, so I have room for another three per side on a Mk.5 conveyor if I had the space available. The output is fed directly into another lift, raised four "clicks" from lowest and pointed back towards the central spine, where it meets mergers and is sent down the line towards the end of the factory to be lifted up a floor. I've hung foundation frames from the ceiling to help overhead routing.

We really need ceiling lights. Seriously impressive looking though.

edited April 2020
    And here's the second floor of my factory, with the simple bus:

v1wqa39u1iix.jpg

The bus runs five conveyors high. From bottom, it has plates, wires, pipes, and two lines of screws. Each line of screws is fed locally by two constructors using the steel recipe with one power cell each, which exactly fills a Mk5 conveyor. The top screw line is terminated later in the bus to allow for finished parts to use that lane. I put reinforced plates onto the top row, so that assemblers farther down on the left can make modular frames. The output is routed towards the far end of the factory, and then lifted to the third floor where it currently feeds into storage containers. I've got some cleanup to do there before I get to Tech components and manufacturers.

The iron plates and wires are fed from the first floor lifts, and the steel pipes and beams are fed from outdoors directly to the second floor. I also have iron rods lifted to the second floor but they just go to a storage container, since I want a few of them for building but not for recipes. The assemblers on the near side are: 3 steel rotor, 2 bolted iron plate, 3 stator, 2 motor. Far side has four constructors making steel screws on 150%, and two assemblers on bolted frames. Near-side assembler outputs are on the far right side of the image, everything heading towards the far end of the factory. I'm hoping to make everything here, rather than specializing with this site. Playing in the mountains makes space a bit tighter than in the desert, which is part of the fun of this start location.

Tynnan on
    I like these setups because I have all my inputs at one end of the building, and all my outputs at the other, usually leading up to another floor. It makes it nice if I need to upgrade, say with MkIII miners and MKV belts, I can just unbuild the end of the building, stretch it out and add new buildings and belts and I'm off to the races again, and it all still fits in the scheme.

My place is gonna put Willy Wonka to shame

Oh man as soon as signs are a thing I'm going to put one up that says "DON'T USE THIS TUBE" next to a 5 kilometer long tube with no return

Maybe another sign at the end saying "I told you not to use it"

Quid wrote: »
    Oh man as soon as signs are a thing I'm going to put one up that says "DON'T USE THIS TUBE" next to a 5 kilometer long tube with no return

I think there are definitely a few spots on the map you could just dump someone into a bottomless hole.

edited April 2020
    20 Foundries turning ore into Steel. I know it's not huge for some ya'll, but this is the biggest steel operation I've done to date, and it's all nice and tidy. I just need to wrangle up a couple more power slugs to OC the iron miner MkII to max out the production.

vjnyeix3vvhl.jpg

That is basically the exact way I was doing foundries until I started running stuff underneath with the frame foundations. Granted, it doesn't change the space requirements for the most part, It still takes me two floors worth of belt arranging to make it work, regardless.

I like to put inputs on one side, outputs on the other, then when I need to expand I just add another floor, use lifts to connect them and reverse direction.

MuddBudd on
    edited April 2020

I think there are definitely a few spots on the map you could just dump someone into a bottomless hole.

"Oompa loompa shmiggity hurdlebole

Follow the signs or die in a murder hole"

Quid on
    On the topic of floor plans.

This guy likes to come up with stackable, super low footprint plans for making various production lines.

Example Image:

N9BJkCY.jpg?1

But the factories are so confined they can't even see the grass

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Got my coal plant aligned to the master grid system so everything is nice and square now, then I belted up coal, caterium, and sulfur back to the base and did a bunch of overdue research so I finally have the bladerunners again

I've missed them so much

Power expansion and steel production are my next project, I need to figure out how I'm gonna expand the production floor to make room for steel. I have a bunch of iron smelters crammed into a nice neat row that is way too compact, I refuse to rip everything out yet so I'll probably just expand vertically and poke the belts through the floor as needed

2x39jD4.jpg
    edited April 2020
    With computers done, and enough power to run the heavy frames production again, last thing I needed to do was remake my production line for part #3 - Automated Wiring. Turns out the next elevator part needs three assemblers worth of it, and I was only using two. So had to tear that down, add in an assembler, then rework the rest of it to support that. The rubberized cable alt recipe helped a lot with that, since, unsurprisingly, Automated Wiring takes a lot of cable. Then I duplicated that whole production line one floor up as well, because I am going to run two manufacturers making part #5.

So, Adaptive Control Units are a go, the last thing I need to unlock Tier 7 and 8!

I have to say, I am liking this new unlock system so far. It definitely feels like an accomplishment to get good production lines running for these things. And because they are complex products, they are ideal fodder for the shredder once you are done with a particular part. It's also pushed me to expand more to get resources and set up power operations.

MuddBudd on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am nowhere near anything complicated. Last night I got my coal plant researched and up and running -- 4 coal generators runing with enough space to expand and all my biomass burners deconstructed and replaced with a proper grid system from the coal plant.

Had a moment of panic thinking I'd overloaded the system when everything just shut off. Turned out I'd been messing with power poles at the plant and forgot to hook the water extractor back up, so every coal plant ran for as long as it took to empty themselves of water and then switched off. I had to build a temporary biomass burner and hook it up to the extractor to kick things off, then remove it and reconnect the main grid once things started going again

Then because I'm at the top of a giant cliff I started building out foundations into thin-air so I could start a multi-level factory proper and change my starting rats nest into something usable. The plan was to have a floor for each component type (smelters on one, constructors on another and assemblers on another) and then try and keep things neat. At the moment I've got storage containers stacked 6 or 7 high with conveyors coming out every which way and it's a right mess

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited April 2020
    I convinced my friend to try it out and we played last night. I helped him through the tutorial with extra info I'd wished I'd known. This is way more fun with extra people. It was a solid hour or so of berating nature and telling it who's boss.

Edit: Not figuratively either.

Quid on
    Any interest in starting an SE++ game? Not sure how it would work, but I bet it could be a lot of fun.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

v1wqa39u1iix.jpg

The bus runs five conveyors high. From bottom, it has plates, wires, pipes, and two lines of screws. Each line of screws is fed locally by two constructors using the steel recipe with one power cell each, which exactly fills a Mk5 conveyor. The top screw line is terminated later in the bus to allow for finished parts to use that lane. I put reinforced plates onto the top row, so that assemblers farther down on the left can make modular frames. The output is routed towards the far end of the factory, and then lifted to the third floor where it currently feeds into storage containers. I've got some cleanup to do there before I get to Tech components and manufacturers.

The iron plates and wires are fed from the first floor lifts, and the steel pipes and beams are fed from outdoors directly to the second floor. I also have iron rods lifted to the second floor but they just go to a storage container, since I want a few of them for building but not for recipes. The assemblers on the near side are: 3 steel rotor, 2 bolted iron plate, 3 stator, 2 motor. Far side has four constructors making steel screws on 150%, and two assemblers on bolted frames. Near-side assembler outputs are on the far right side of the image, everything heading towards the far end of the factory. I'm hoping to make everything here, rather than specializing with this site. Playing in the mountains makes space a bit tighter than in the desert, which is part of the fun of this start location.

How are you stacking belts for your bus?

milski on
    I ate an engineer
    milski wrote: »

v1wqa39u1iix.jpg

How are you stacking belts for your bus?

Stackable conveyor poles. They’re the ones that look like croquet loops in the builder menu.

Any interest in starting an SE++ game? Not sure how it would work, but I bet it could be a lot of fun.

Is there some way to set up a server? Otherwise the game is at the mercy of whoever's running the instance.

Is there some way to set up a server? Otherwise the game is at the mercy of whoever's running the instance.

I think there's no dedicated servers in the current build, though they are planned. No idea when they're getting implemented.

A forum game might have to wait until then, I'd imagine. Just gauging interest.

Yea I believe it's instanced based. I wish I had the internet capacity to play with ya'll. It sounds like so much fun.