As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Keep your human antivirus up to date

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    God if they're not booting off the ssd, I want a video reaction of their face when they finally do

jungleroomx on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    yeah if you're not booting & running your OS off an SSD your machine is walking with a limp.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Do you boot off your SSD? Because you should boot off your SSD.
    HDD has pretty much everything.

SSD is only for hobby stuff, I don't have anything important on it or running off it.

If you're running Windows on your HDD then you are missing out massively.

Add a 500GB NVME M.2 drive ($60-70) to your build and put a fresh install of Windows on it and boot and run programs from that. Massive difference in performance.

EDIT:
    PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($68.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($63.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Custom: AMD CPU RYZEN 5 1600 AM4 ($85.00) (Amazon Link)
    Total: $457.95
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-03 16:20 EDT-0400

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It's still among the largest leaps in day to day performance most people will notice in a system.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It's still among the largest leaps in day to day performance most people will notice in a system.

It really is night-and-day.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I really need to figure out why my 570x board takes like 30 seconds to POST. Once it does, windows loads quickly, but on net that makes it only marginally faster than my old hdd build

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Downside to SSDs: I used to get a chore done whenever I got home waiting for my computer to boot, and that doesn't happen anymore.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    What about cases? Are there any good cases these days that are affordable and won't rip the shit out of my hands? Still looking at a budget, obviously.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

It's been so long since I've booted from HDD I don't even remember how long it took. I can say for certain that it takes longer to POST than it does to boot Win10.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Downside to SSDs: I used to get a chore done whenever I got home waiting for my computer to boot, and that doesn't happen anymore.

Check BIOS settings? Is it waiting on boot order timeout?

Double post: I'm using a Noctua U12S and loving it. Installation was a breeze.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    What about cases? Are there any good cases these days that are affordable and won't rip the shit out of my hands? Still looking at a budget, obviously.

The Meshify C is inexpensive and easy to install into. It may be tough to find non-TG versions though.

Others here are partial to Phanteks and the Lian Li O11

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    While I work in IT I don't keep up to date on PC building too much these days. I noticed just recently how old my CPU is (i5 3450) and now that I'm starting to play some newer games I'm running into longer load times than I'd like.

I've already switched to SSDs for storage so I'm good there(will be adding 1-2 M2 drives). What's the usual go-to in terms of CPU for gaming? It seems as though it jumps back and forth from Intel to AMD every 6 months, is the latest i5 or i7 the way to go, or is AMD the better choice in terms of $/performance?

My current cycle is around 5-7 years on CPU/RAM/MB, while my GPU is 2 years old. For a roughly $800 build, getting this length of time for a mid-range build has been fantastic, so I don't feel as though dropping $500 on a CPU that would get me 6 years over a $250 CPU that would give me 5 is a good use of money.

Myiagros on
    iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I really need to figure out why my 570x board takes like 30 seconds to POST. Once it does, windows loads quickly, but on net that makes it only marginally faster than my old hdd build

My X470 originally took a quite while to POST, although perhaps not as long as yours, but I rooted about and found a boot setting in the BIOS that skipped a bunch of stuff, and now it takes a couple of seconds. AMD seem to like to have their boards do a fairly thorough hardware test by default, but if you've booted up a few dozen times with no issues, you can skip that testing with a clear conscience I reckon.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Greetings from my New Computer (name pending)!

Unfortunately, I think I messed up the installation of the CPU fan (it's a Noctua NH-L9A). I had the heatsink, thermal paste and all, on the CPU, and I did the installation of the backplate badly, so the heatsink fell off the CPU (I flipped the motherboard upside down to install the backplate). Then I didn't do what I should've done, which is wipe off the thermal paste and reapply it; instead I just slapped the two parts together, air bubbles and all, and installed it that way.

My Ryzen 3600's temps are now going up and down from 45C to 75C. As I'm typing this, HWMonitor is reporting 60C.

That's not normal, is it?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

My X470 originally took a quite while to POST, although perhaps not as long as yours, but I rooted about and found a boot setting in the BIOS that skipped a bunch of stuff, and now it takes a couple of seconds. AMD seem to like to have their boards do a fairly thorough hardware test by default, but if you've booted up a few dozen times with no issues, you can skip that testing with a clear conscience I reckon.

I think it's usually called QuickPOST.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Mugsley wrote: »

I, uh, think you may have missed that this was a joke.

Edit: Either that or you quoted the wrong post.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

Unfortunately, I think I messed up the installation of the CPU fan (it's a Noctua NH-L9A). I had the heatsink, thermal paste and all, on the CPU, and I did the installation of the backplate badly, so the heatsink fell off the CPU (I flipped the motherboard upside down to install the backplate). Then I didn't do what I should've done, which is wipe off the thermal paste and reapply it; instead I just slapped the two parts together, air bubbles and all, and installed it that way.

My Ryzen 3600's temps are now going up and down from 45C to 75C. As I'm typing this, HWMonitor is reporting 60C.

45 is a good baseline temperature, but 75 is high for anything other than a significant load.

Keep in mind 75 is a safe temperature. It's just higher for just running a web browser. I'd check and see if there's anything running in the background.

edited April 2020
    Elaro wrote: »

75C is well within normal operating limits (dangerous is well over 90C), as I was told earlier in the thread RE: my 3800 which gets up to the low 70s under load. However, I also took my cooler off and on a lot while troubleshooting and probably could have done with wiping the paste off and reapplying, so perhaps we're in the same boat of "somewhat suboptimal but not worth taking things apart to redo."

Edit: Oh yeah if the 75 isn't under load then that's probably bad.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    If you are getting higher temps than expected under minimal use, check to ensure the heat sink is firmly and correctly seated. Especially if it is a large D15-like setup.

I, uh, think you may have missed that this was a joke.

Edit: Either that or you quoted the wrong post.

Ah fuck. Wrong quote. Oh well.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    God if they're not booting off the ssd, I want a video reaction of their face when they finally do
    https://imgur.com/WfcpcXj

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I am super excited to play some Minecraft again when the RTX update hits.

I started playing far enough back that I can still remember the difference ambient occlusion made to Minecraft graphics when they modded that in...

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

When I built this SSD-only system back in 2012 I timed how long it took from pressing the power button to double-clicking the Chrome icon on the Windows 8 desktop screen.

8 seconds. Compared to the XP machine (overclocked Q6600 quad core, 4 gigs of RAM, 7200 rpm Barracuda HDD) I had previously it was astonishing.

It's slowed just a teensy bit over the years, I think it's up to about 9 or 10 now, but I can't be bothered doing a deep format, full reinstall, and reoptimization.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Oh I forgot to post the finished build:

thapaxk6e2ql.png

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    That's purrrty.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Do you guys have any opinions on micro center? I just learned I live a hour from one, and might use them when I'm thinking about upgrades, especially if they price match Amazon and new egg.

Also, any tips on cable management? I built my pc last night, but it's got a glass window and I need get this looking better so I'm not judged.

Steam: offday
    Microcenter is a Mecca for PC builders. You will spend money there and enjoy every minute.

For cables, it depends on if you want as minimal cables seen or just cleaning up. Use small zipties and try to consolidate runs as much as possible. Don't be afraid to try different run locations to find something that works.

Many people buy cable extension kits (CableMod.com) to remove the 'ketchup and mustard' look. The kits also give more flexibility for cable routing.

Microcenter is a Mecca for PC builders. You will spend money there and enjoy every minute.

Not sure I'd go this far. But it isn't especially bad or anything. When was prepping to buy/build my current PC they ran a sale on CPU/MB combos. So I was able to afford the i7 instead of the i5 and still had extra to apply to my AIO.

Mostly the 'problem' is they don't always have a wide selection.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Back in the day, Fry's was Mecca. But those days are long long gone.

Orca wrote: »
    Back in the day, Fry's was Mecca. But those days are long long gone.

Meh. Fry's was convenient. But never all that compelling.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Morning, Build Thread. Need a little help if possible, please.

Woke up this morning to my son telling me audio wasn't working on the computer, He was playing World of Tanks with no sound. Take a look and, yep, there doesn't seem to be any sound. Spotify says there's a problem playing audio, both from the app and the web. MP3 files won't play, with WMP saying "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. Steam games have no sound. Amazon streaming has no sound. Headphones don't work.

Everything was fine last night, sound on Steam and Amazon per normal. Computer was on last night and if there was an update of some sort it's not apparent. Checked all physical connections. Device manager says I have most up to date drivers on audio hardware. No amount of poking around in settings produced anything amiss. Restarted the computer (no windows update apparent). Bunch of Googling and I can't find this particular problem.

Any thoughts?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Better component selection and price than Microcenter (just had to deal with the pushy salesmen and dodge the un-discounted open boxes) and a nontrivial hobby electronics section; what wasn't to love?

For in-person it's not like you had choices either for non-prebuilt systems. Those two were it as far as I recall.

Iolo wrote: »

Woke up this morning to my son telling me audio wasn't working on the computer, He was playing World of Tanks with no sound. Take a look and, yep, there doesn't seem to be any sound. Spotify says there's a problem playing audio, both from the app and the web. MP3 files won't play, with WMP saying "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. Steam games have no sound. Amazon streaming has no sound. Headphones don't work.

Everything was fine last night, sound on Steam and Amazon per normal. Computer was on last night and if there was an update of some sort it's not apparent. Checked all physical connections. Device manager says I have most up to date drivers on audio hardware. No amount of poking around in settings produced anything amiss. Restarted the computer (no windows update apparent). Bunch of Googling and I can't find this particular problem.

Any thoughts?

Download the latest sound driver and reinstall.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Anyone have any opinions on this CPU heatsink? be quiet! Shadow Rock LP? I don't think I want an AIO and I think this has good reviews and supposedly fits in the case I want. Just curious if there are better ones or what. It's going on a 3600 so nothing crazy and while performance is important, sound is also important to me.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Ordered all my parts through prime yesterday, Ram and mobo should be here by tomorrow but looks like the CPU isn't projected to be here until the 16th. Hasn't shipped yet and the money is still on the card.

ycfZq1V.gif

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    microcenter is great. I've bought most of my parts for the last decade from them. Usually have as good or better prices on a lot of stuff. Usually will have to go online if you're wanting uncommon fans/cases and stuff like that, but generally I find it's an excellent experience.

and it's just fun going to a computer store in the year of our lord 2020, it feels like something that shouldn't be allowed to exist, leaking out of another universe.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Iolo wrote: »

Any thoughts?

Download the latest sound driver and reinstall.

Thanks.

No Realtek driver would work, neither the latest nor the two older versions I had on my PC.

I tried switching over to the generic Windows high definition driver and sound is working! So that's good, yes? Any concern with just keeping the generic driver?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Depending on what you use it for, not really. If you just want sound that comes out of the correct speaker, the generic driver is adequate. It you want ultra fancy 3D surround mega sound, then get with the MB and/or device maker.

I might suggest you clean the old driver off the system and then reinstall. Basically, uninstall the device and drivers and delete the registry entries and reboot to reinstall. Something got borked in your setup. Especially if the proper drivers won't work.

If you try that, be sure to drink your Ovaltine read up on which keys to delete and backup the registry before trying (depending on your level of comfort when doing such things).

Generic sound is sufficient! Hooray!

Thanks. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
This discussion has been closed.