As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cliff Simon memorial [Stargate] thread

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Man I forgot how heavy The Light is. A good episode overall, but lots of suicide. Also forgot teal'c is 101 years old at that point.

Okay, now I'm onto 4x20 (Nice) Entity. An Episode keeping up the late 90s and early 2000's tradition of sci fi TV shows just wholesale ripping off ideas from science fiction movies.

You better believe their light ripoff of the The Thing setup (something found in the Antarctic ice) season 6 episode 4 Frozen is in this lineup. We'll get there eventually.

Okay it's funny as hell that they are doing their best to not use the word virus through this whole episode.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    I'm not sure the Ori had no knowledge of the Milky Way, they just didn't know that there was a whole buttload of humans and ascended ancients hanging out there because the ancients were hiding their existence.

Basically, the way I see it..

-Alterans vacate the Ori galaxy, colonize the milky way
    -Ori find out, drop the plague on them
    -Ancients ascend, and those who don't use the Dakara device to "reboot" the galaxy while the ascended keep the new life hidden from the Ori
    -Ori assume the Milky Way was successfully purged.
    -SG-1 goes and fucks it all up by messing with shit they really shouldn't.

Huh that's an interesting theory. I kinda like it but the timeline for this doesn't match up in my head to make sense. Merlin was out there raging against the Ori while humans had been around for a very long time. We also know some Ancients decided to live with humans and pass on their genetics as well. Humans definitely existed as a species while the plague raged. I do not know how to fit reseeding life in the galaxy with this knowledge at all. I suspect this is a bit of lore that everyone gets to have their own fan theory on because there is no value in explaining it. Turns out multiple revisions to your lore basically makes it Swiss cheese! Who knew?!

I think the timeline is supposed to be:

1) Alterans bail from the Ori.
    2) Settle in the Milky Way, seed the Stargate Network, do their whole thing. Launch Destiny in there somewhere.
    3) Ori find out, send the plague, shit goes sideways and they reboot the galaxy and fuck off to Pegasus.
    4) Replicators and Chill in Pegasus until the Wraith send them packing back to Earth.
    5) The few that remain say fuck it, let's just settle down here and ascend. Merlin says screw that noise and starts working on his anti-ascended device to deal with the Ori.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Right, I forgot about the Pegasus stuff.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Where does the weird android girl that supposedly invented the replicators as a toy fit into that?

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    edited March 2020
    Okay finished with season 4 today on to season 5 tomorrow, its lookin mighty thin for this marathon, but it's a Saturday, and the wife wants to watch some not Stargate. Like I said it's lookin like not too much in here lemme know if I'm missing anything for infections and isolation themes in season 5.

5x10 2001 finishing up the ashen arc in the present day of 2001(fuck this is old)
    5x12 Wormhole X-Treme cause fuck it, it's wormhole X-Treme
    And
    5x13 Proving Ground, for a possible foothold infection and a bunch of characters we are setting up to die.

Sleep on
    expendable wrote: »
    Where does the weird android girl that supposedly invented the replicators as a toy fit into that?

It's not explicitely spelled out, but the idea is

Atlanteans invent the nanotech replicators to fight the wraith, but they eventually take human form and the ancients freak out, using, anti-replicator weapons to bomb the shit out of them. They wind up surviving and rebuilding thier civilization. After the ancients leave, they war against the Wraith like they were designed, until the Wraith introduce a virus to basically make them never get around to attacking.

This is speculation, but likely one of the members of the team that made the pegasus replicators left to Earth, made his way to the planet the girl was found and tried to recreate the project, but with a more humanitarian bent rather than as a weapon. Similar to the time travel scientist dude.

Girl comes out flawed, creates the first bug replicators, everyone freaks out and she's eventually shut down. Asgard find the planet, discover the bug replicators, try to study them but they eventually wind up escaping, assimilating thier technology and trying to consume the Asgard galaxy.

SG-1 finds the girl, are forced to deactivate her, and hand her body over to the Asgard. Asgard find a "recall" function in her, use it to build a trap for all of the bug replicators, but they manage to assimilate her technology and create new nanite replicators, leading to the human-form replicators in the Asgardian (and later milky way) galaxy. Jack pulls the anti-replicator weaponry from the ancient database to fight them.

edited March 2020
    I actually thought the milky way replicators and ancient replicators were totally separate evolutions of similar grey goo style technologies/cultures.

But that timeline would probably work.

Sleep on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    At least we can all agree that

This part is absolutely true.

mrw you realize SG-1 walked so that Legends of Tomorrow could fly

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    I'm not sure the Ori had no knowledge of the Milky Way, they just didn't know that there was a whole buttload of humans and ascended ancients hanging out there because the ancients were hiding their existence.

-Ancients ascend, and those who don't use the Dakara device to "reboot" the galaxy while the ascended keep the new life hidden from the Ori

Huh that's an interesting theory. I kinda like it but the timeline for this doesn't match up in my head to make sense. Merlin was out there raging against the Ori while humans had been around for a very long time. We also know some Ancients decided to live with humans and pass on their genetics as well. Humans definitely existed as a species while the plague raged. I do not know how to fit reseeding life in the galaxy with this knowledge at all. I suspect this is a bit of lore that everyone gets to have their own fan theory on because there is no value in explaining it. Turns out multiple revisions to your lore basically makes it Swiss cheese! Who knew?!

2) Settle in the Milky Way, seed the Stargate Network, do their whole thing. Launch Destiny in there somewhere.
    3) Ori find out, send the plague, shit goes sideways and they reboot the galaxy and fuck off to Pegasus.
    4) Replicators and Chill in Pegasus until the Wraith send them packing back to Earth.
    5) The few that remain say fuck it, let's just settle down here and ascend. Merlin says screw that noise and starts working on his anti-ascended device to deal with the Ori.

The alliance of 4 great races then becomes a weird when did that happen moment though. There are probably more as well, but that's just what happens to a show that thinks it's going to end a half dozen times and needs to keep upping the ante on villains.

Mvrck wrote: »

The alliance of 4 great races then becomes a weird when did that happen moment though. There are probably more as well, but that's just what happens to a show that thinks it's going to end a half dozen times and needs to keep upping the ante on villains.

Likely happened after the ancients returned to the Milky Way after leaving Pegasus.

The Furlings are still out there. Somewhere. Probably in a distant galaxy.

Steam
    Well couldn't get any gate travel in this weekend, but now we're back in the present day of... 2001... and we've met some humorless aliens that are totally willing to help fight the goa'uld. There's no way this could turn on us.

Well now that we've given the ashen a black hole problem I've let the player run right into 5×11 desperate measures. Where a dying rich guy kidnaps carter to dissect her brain to figure out how he can cure his terminal illness with a goa'uld and then remove it. Eat the rich.

Notably this episode is where John de Lancie (Q from Star Trek) first shows up as colonel Frank Simmons to become a recurring foil for SG-1.

edited March 2020
    And now,

it's time for 5x12 Wormhole X-Treme.

One of the best episodes in the series because it just pulls back the curtain on the whole production, and they admit to the underlying hilarity in their show. They totally understand what they are, they're just trying to be like the slightest shred better than that, but they all still deal with the exact same kind of behind the scenes crap.

I especially love them calling out the zat and the oft disregarded "3 shots removes from reality" rule.

Sleep on
    Great question from the Carter echo

If I'm out of phase why don't I sink through the floor?

I also love how much teal'c hates having the cover name Murry.

Sleep wrote: »

IIRC, in later episodes he just rolls with it.

Based on the episode where he has an off-base apartment, I would totally watch the SHIT out of a Shaft-esque PI show starring Teal'C, as referenced in 200.

Steam
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

Based on the episode where he has an off-base apartment, I would totally watch the SHIT out of a Shaft-esque PI show starring Teal'C, as referenced in 200.

I really enjoy how much the show makers just ignore the fact that the base is in Wyoming and straight up have Teal'C get an apartment in Vancouver's West End, on English Bay.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

I really enjoy how much the show makers just ignore the fact that the base is in Wyoming and straight up have Teal'C get an apartment in Vancouver's West End, on English Bay.

Every show filmed in Vancouver rewrites reality so that every place looks exactly like Vancouver.

So Colorado has all these Pacific redwoods, Abydos looks suspiciously like a really damp, overcast quarry, Star City is temperate, Central City has a gigantic oceanic waterfront, and Caprica City has a Scotia Bank.

sig.gif
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Living in Vancouver, I'm already well aware of how many places this city and area plays. I always do get a chuckle though when a landlocked location turns out to have oceanfront property, or the wide open prairies have coastal plutonic mountains, or Chicago has the seabus and Harbor Center.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    It was pretty funny to see Derry, a podunk no-name country town in IT, represented by major city Montreal.

To be fair they did film in Pointe St-Charles, an only recently gentrified working class neighborhood in what was the southwestern tip of pre-fusion Montreal.

Also downtown Montreal for every scene of the adults before they go back to Derry, despite it being supposedly in several different American cities.

sig.gif
    I've been to Auburn, KS.

There's not actually any mountains there, shockingly enough.

Steam
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

Indeed.

BLM - ACAB
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Can we also talk about how Christopher Judge fucking killed it as Kratos?

BLM - ACAB
    Okay im getting into season 6

And we start with 6x04 "Frozen" where we meet an ancient that really needs to let go of her burden before she gets everyone dead with her new super plague.

After that we'll get to the isolation of the "Abyss" in episode 6x06.

Then in 6x10 we find a "Cure" to everything. That comes with a price. As the tok'ra see the end of their days made apparent a new hope for the jaffa resistance is discovered.

In 6x13 "Sight Unseen", something breaks containment, we're not sure what.

In 6x15 Jack and Maybourn get to go on a nice relaxing vacation in a "Paradise Lost" to the ages. Don't blame Maybourn he was just trying to find a place to retire, and jack finally gets to shoot Maybourn.

edited March 2020
    The Geek wrote: »
    Can we also talk about how Christopher Judge fucking killed it as Kratos?

Honestly I just wanna see Christopher Judge in more shit.

Sleep on
    Steam
    edited March 2020
    Oh man season 7 is mostly bereft of content for this marathon. There was Avenger 2.0 where the guy from The Red Green show makes a virus that baal uses to shut down the whole gate system, but it's almost a full episode of hyper cringe that I'd normally skip right over. Had to take a break after that, but I'm picking back up with 7x13, Grace, where Carter gets trapped mostly alone on the Prometheus. Wait, holy shit, was that Grodin on the bridge?

Sleep on
    Okay into season 8 felt it was appropriate to start 8x03 Lockdown.

Man Jack O'Neill hates Russians

Okay into season 8 felt it was appropriate to start 8x03 Lockdown.

Man Jack O'Neill hates Russians

He was a product of the Cold War Special Forces. He's not quick to change.

Steam
    Oh shit, I'm in season 8. Time to bring in Atlantis. You think I'd start with 1x07 Poisoning the Well, and we'll get there next, but first we're gonna start with 1x04 Thirty Eight Minutes to see the team trapped with each other in the back of a jumper.

edited March 2020
    Okay, season 8 of SG1 continues to fail me for this marathon, but we've broke into Atlantis and Atlantis season 1 continues to deliver with 1x13 Hot Zone which is by far the most relevant episode yet as it involves a self imposed quarantine, that a number of idiots promptly violate. It shows how cluster spread works and why maintaining the quarantine is of utmost importance to diminish negative outcomes. I mean they eventually get to nuke their way out of the problem because it's stargate atlantis, and explosions solve problems, but that's just fun sci fi.

Sleep on
    Okay on to SG-1 9x05 The Powers that be, the first appearance of the ori plague.

And bouncing back to Atlantis for 2x03 Runner to pickup the long insolated Ronon Dex (honestly that whole character is some of Jason Momoa's best work, like he was built for that role). Then 2x14 Grace Under Pressure when McKay gets trapped alone in a sinking jumper.

Oh man, here we are, SG1 9x10 The Fourth Horseman part 1. Let's watch the Ori Plague get real for earth.

Heh, Dream cut me off from the marathon right as I started the fourth horseman. Back on it now. I always forget that somehow stargate got Louis Gossett Jr. to play gerak.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I am here to talk about the Tollan and how why they basically wiped themselves out.

The problem with the Tollan was they decided they had ideologically evolved, without actually fundamentally changing their relation to the dynamics of the universe they had to exist in. Declaring that you have a doctrine of non-violence and non-interventionism is crazy when the only ability to maintain that position is being enforced by force of arms (their planetary ion guns).

In universe there are a group who reasonably can sustain this stance, and in fact do: the Knox. The Knox are non-interventionist, and adopt a doctrine of non-violence, but more importantly actually have a technological skillset and civilization structured to allow it: they can disappear. They can disappear incredibly thoroughly, and as presented their main living structures are actual floating cities who's default stance is to be cloaked. Their moral stance could be questioned, but they're in a position where their technology has been developed actively in the direction of sustaining that stance.

But for the Tollan, it seems like the Ion Guns were their only major military technology, other then their very basic small arms. They had no apparent research into shields or shield technology, but were entirely dependent on a weapons system who's notable feature was the ability to defeat the dominant military power's main advantage - shields. It is notable that their one absolute mastery technology - phasing through solid matter (no other society is shown as able to do it as a mass-produced technological capability) - would be most practical used offensively.

The Tollan built their entire civilization around that one sliver of power, and adopted an ideology which absolutely could not be sustained by their actual strategic position - non-violence, non-interventionism. As far as we observe, the concept of SG-teams was foreign to the Tollan. They did not engage in a campaign of active military intelligence gathering against their major opponent. They had no knowledge of Go'auld political or military power, nor did they maintain a substantial spacecraft complement (as far as we know, they maintained no spacecraft as a part of their conventional strategic posture). Even after encountering Stargate Command, Tollan "military" planning did not attempt to adopt or emulate any of the aspects of the program which had displayed success. They did not attempt - most likely by simply lacking the cultural concept - any meaningful exchange of military thinking. The Tollan do not attempt to understand their enemy, or their allies. Because of course, to the Tollan - they have "moved beyond" - needing those things. Even as their entire security is dependent on a single defense they are not investing any effort into actively determining if it is still viable, or at risk of being made irrelevant.

And this, ultimately, is why they are wiped out. The moment a Go'auld shield survives Ion Gun attack, Tollan civilization ends. Their entire advantage, depended solely on the ability to engage an enemy from beyond their own weapons distance. Given this fault, it seems probable that against a slightly more tactically creative Go'auld force, they would've been conquered much sooner. Ironically, their ideology helped them, just not as they imagine: as a single planet, they weren't worth the bother.

And so the big question, what could have been done by the Tollan to prevent this outcome?

Presuming they proceeded as they did up till they encountered the SGC, and became more formal allies, the trajectory of the Tollan could have been prevented! We could perhaps consider if a failure of diplomacy by the SGC that Tollan members of the SG teams were not brought in, though it would seem reasonable to assume the Tollan government prevented the question being asked of the general Tollan populace - presuming they're baseline human, it would stand to reason that some 21-year old Tollan's could be convinced to adventure with the SGC. No practical officer exchange could exist due to their lack of obvious military, but a steady stream of Tollan recruits who were inducted into a military mindset would have served as a practical basis to improve how Tollan viewed their position in the universe. Given their technological advantage, the sharing of knowledge - one way - may have saved them.

edited April 2020
    I am here to talk about the Tollan and how why they basically wiped themselves out.

The problem with the Tollan was they decided they had ideologically evolved, without actually fundamentally changing their relation to the dynamics of the universe they had to exist in. Declaring that you have a doctrine of non-violence and non-interventionism is crazy when the only ability to maintain that position is being enforced by force of arms (their planetary ion guns).

In universe there are a group who reasonably can sustain this stance, and in fact do: the Knox. The Knox are non-interventionist, and adopt a doctrine of non-violence, but more importantly actually have a technological skillset and civilization structured to allow it: they can disappear. They can disappear incredibly thoroughly, and as presented their main living structures are actual floating cities who's default stance is to be cloaked. Their moral stance could be questioned, but they're in a position where their technology has been developed actively in the direction of sustaining that stance.

But for the Tollan, it seems like the Ion Guns were their only major military technology, other then their very basic small arms. They had no apparent research into shields or shield technology, but were entirely dependent on a weapons system who's notable feature was the ability to defeat the dominant military power's main advantage - shields. It is notable that their one absolute mastery technology - phasing through solid matter (no other society is shown as able to do it as a mass-produced technological capability) - would be most practical used offensively.

The Tollan built their entire civilization around that one sliver of power, and adopted an ideology which absolutely could not be sustained by their actual strategic position - non-violence, non-interventionism. As far as we observe, the concept of SG-teams was foreign to the Tollan. They did not engage in a campaign of active military intelligence gathering against their major opponent. They had no knowledge of Go'auld political or military power, nor did they maintain a substantial spacecraft complement (as far as we know, they maintained no spacecraft as a part of their conventional strategic posture). Even after encountering Stargate Command, Tollan "military" planning did not attempt to adopt or emulate any of the aspects of the program which had displayed success. They did not attempt - most likely by simply lacking the cultural concept - any meaningful exchange of military thinking. The Tollan do not attempt to understand their enemy, or their allies. Because of course, to the Tollan - they have "moved beyond" - needing those things. Even as their entire security is dependent on a single defense they are not investing any effort into actively determining if it is still viable, or at risk of being made irrelevant.

And this, ultimately, is why they are wiped out. The moment a Go'auld shield survives Ion Gun attack, Tollan civilization ends. Their entire advantage, depended solely on the ability to engage an enemy from beyond their own weapons distance. Given this fault, it seems probable that against a slightly more tactically creative Go'auld force, they would've been conquered much sooner. Ironically, their ideology helped them, just not as they imagine: as a single planet, they weren't worth the bother.

And so the big question, what could have been done by the Tollan to prevent this outcome?

Presuming they proceeded as they did up till they encountered the SGC, and became more formal allies, the trajectory of the Tollan could have been prevented! We could perhaps consider if a failure of diplomacy by the SGC that Tollan members of the SG teams were not brought in, though it would seem reasonable to assume the Tollan government prevented the question being asked of the general Tollan populace - presuming they're baseline human, it would stand to reason that some 21-year old Tollan's could be convinced to adventure with the SGC. No practical officer exchange could exist due to their lack of obvious military, but a steady stream of Tollan recruits who were inducted into a military mindset would have served as a practical basis to improve how Tollan viewed their position in the universe. Given their technological advantage, the sharing of knowledge - one way - may have saved them.

The tollans had the unfortunate circumstance where at first they were totally down to share and expand, unfortunately the first group they ran into was on a neighboring planet, and when they went about sharing openly that planet decided to not be with that program of comity and seeing beyond its borders. It fell apart so fast and so aggressively it fucked up the whole solar system, doomed the tolan home world and set the tollan back immensely. This is recent history for the tollan I believe.

The tollan weren't so much beyond helping, like the ascended ancients. They were afraid to help because they fucked it up so bad the first time. They pursued isolationism at first out of fear they might cause more harm than good.

However I would assume that eventually many rose in tollan ranks that did believe they were beyond helping outsiders, especially those from a world like ours that would definitely tear itself apart over ion cannons. As well as others that believed their isolationism and seeming neutrality protected them from the larger ire of the goa'uld.

Sleep on