As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm liking it a lot so far!

No terrible enemy types like G-Adults so I actually like the fighting more than RE2

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the classic RE. 1-3 being my favorites.

Code: VERONICA was... alright.

Then the series lost itself. Glad to see its return.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The reviews definitely weren't kidding about the length, I just beat it in four hours on my first playthrough. Great game but I don't think it's going to have the replayability of RE2make.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    The reviews definitely weren't kidding about the length, I just beat it in four hours on my first playthrough. Great game but I don't think it's going to have the replayability of RE2make.
    Damn.

Was RE3 really that short back in the day?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Damn.

The base game absolutely was, but had more replayability with Mercenaries

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=7719

Yeah this says it's about 6.5 hours.

edited April 2020
    Javen wrote: »
    Damn.

The base game absolutely was, but had more replayability with Mercenaries
    The 90s were weird.

You could actually finish games and there weren't backlogs.

Dr. Chaos on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Are there any unlocks if you get a decent rank?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Damn.

This is shorter than the original RE3, which is frankly bizarre considering that both the RE1 and RE2 remakes were substantially longer than their original games. And that's before you start thinking about how the RE1 and RE2 remakes retained the original bonus modes while adding new ones in, but RE3make has lost Mercenaries without replacement.

Going to be honest, I don't think this feels like a full price game.

Are there any unlocks if you get a decent rank?
    Finishing the game (with any rank and I think on any difficulty, at least normal or above) unlocks a shop which allows you to buy some things with points you earn for completing the game. Presumably higher ranks and higher difficulties earn more points.

The things in the shop are
    Jill's STARS costume
    "Coins" which you hold in your inventory that can increase your attack, defense and health regen
    Some progression items like bolt cutters to help speed running
    Special weapons
    Infinite ammo pistol/machine gun/rocket launcher

I don't think finishing on higher difficulties unlocks anything else beyond more difficulty levels.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I played it for about 2 hours today and I'm already at
    Carlos at RPD.
    Seems like the halfway point to me, so I'm not surprised it feels short. I haven't played resistance at all yet, but I also heard the open beta was rouuugghh. Game feels linear and not as open as I expected it to be, and there's a lot of reuse of assets in making the maps circular or vertically layered. Other than that, yep feels like more RE2, which is just great to me. Nemesis casually dropping boxes out of him everytime he shows up has been hysterical in my playthrough.

KoopahTroopah on
    I'd prefer RE8 to be first person like VII was but if they go back to basics, they could do worse than making it like RE2/3's remakes.

What kind of loot does Nemesis drop if you take him on?

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Damn.

This is shorter than the original RE3, which is frankly bizarre considering that both the RE1 and RE2 remakes were substantially longer than their original games. And that's before you start thinking about how the RE1 and RE2 remakes retained the original bonus modes while adding new ones in, but RE3make has lost Mercenaries without replacement.

Going to be honest, I don't think this feels like a full price game.

Eh, as a counter point I finished the RE3 Remake in 7 hours. Average is around 6, from quick googling (I like to poke around). So about the length of the original. And I had a blast? Nemesis requires you to get good at the dodge system, but I enjoyed the set pieces, the plot changes made sense, and some of the monster redesigns were a lot of fun. I really enjoyed this.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    What kind of loot does Nemesis drop if you take him on?

He's surprisingly easy to drop! A single grenade seems to do it.
    he drops weapon upgrade parts! I got two handgun upgrades, then 3 grenade rounds.

Oh brilliant
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I beat it in 4:50 (or 6:25 including cut scenes and maybe reading things). I didn't get the magnum, despite knowing where it probably was. Hunting along all sorts of walls couldn't get me there.
    The random quicktime event at the end is annoying. Particularly because I kept shooting him right in the head and 'failing'. After eventually completing it (by still shooting him in the head), I assume you're just supposed to gut-shoot him immediately. I foresee this ruining some speedruns.

It's a decent follow-up to RE2. I think the shop does add some replayability (although I assume all those things will ruin your subsequent rank). Unfortunately, the dodge mechanic is awkward and seems inconsistent, especially against Nemesis. It doesn't help that he's usually attacking you from behind where you can't time it anyway. The knife is more useless than the original RE knife, since it takes so many stabs to kill a downed zombie that they usually have plenty of time to sit up and lurch onto you. And I was frequently running into sprinting+reloading as Jill. Probably because she's constantly fighting Nemesis who is constantly speedy and forces you to constantly sprint.

I think the game's biggest problem is it's way, way too linear. This is made even more evident by comparing it to original RE3, which even had randomized routes and puzzle solutions. The opening streets and the hospital are the only places that give you any semblance of alternate routes; everything else is a straight shot unless you want to deviate for loot. (Not like the RE1 mansion or RPD where you're finding keys and can approach things along several different paths.)

Storywise it mostly follows the original. But Nemesis comes off as more obnoxious than threatening. He also gets several chances to murder Jill and just throws her into a wall instead. Like, literally has her head in his hand and just throws her away. The monster with the strength to punch through walls certainly wouldn't just squeeze her head like a melon. The setpieces often come off as very game-y and bland as a result. The final Nemesis boss battle is actually pretty decent and offsets the stupid clocktower wall-climbing dog nonsense.

If they don't add Mercenaries, they should be able to easily add a Carlos survival mode from the hospital. I also feel like I missed something in my Carlos run because I was literally at 0 bullets before that. I had to go toe-to-toe with a hunter with a flashbang and a knife.

Also Carlos' perfectly timed hunter dodge is the greatest.

Also: Not human greed. Zombie greed. For brains.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I beat it in 4:50 (or 6:25 including cut scenes and maybe reading things). I didn't get the magnum, despite knowing where it probably was. Hunting along all sorts of walls couldn't get me there.
    The random quicktime event at the end is annoying. Particularly because I kept shooting him right in the head and 'failing'. After eventually completing it (by still shooting him in the head), I assume you're just supposed to gut-shoot him immediately. I foresee this ruining some speedruns.

It's a decent follow-up to RE2. I think the shop does add some replayability (although I assume all those things will ruin your subsequent rank). Unfortunately, the dodge mechanic is awkward and seems inconsistent, especially against Nemesis. It doesn't help that he's usually attacking you from behind where you can't time it anyway. The knife is more useless than the original RE knife, since it takes so many stabs to kill a downed zombie that they usually have plenty of time to sit up and lurch onto you. And I was frequently running into sprinting+reloading as Jill. Probably because she's constantly fighting Nemesis who is constantly speedy and forces you to constantly sprint.

I think the game's biggest problem is it's way, way too linear. This is made even more evident by comparing it to original RE3, which even had randomized routes and puzzle solutions. The opening streets and the hospital are the only places that give you any semblance of alternate routes; everything else is a straight shot unless you want to deviate for loot. (Not like the RE1 mansion or RPD where you're finding keys and can approach things along several different paths.)

Storywise it mostly follows the original. But Nemesis comes off as more obnoxious than threatening. He also gets several chances to murder Jill and just throws her into a wall instead. Like, literally has her head in his hand and just throws her away. The monster with the strength to punch through walls certainly wouldn't just squeeze her head like a melon. The setpieces often come off as very game-y and bland as a result. The final Nemesis boss battle is actually pretty decent and offsets the stupid clocktower wall-climbing dog nonsense.

If they don't add Mercenaries, they should be able to easily add a Carlos survival mode from the hospital. I also feel like I missed something in my Carlos run because I was literally at 0 bullets before that. I had to go toe-to-toe with a hunter with a flashbang and a knife.

I said the same thing in my post on the previous page.
    By giving the Brad kill to a generic zombie instead of Nemesis, this meant that Nemesis never actually kills anyone for the huge bulk of the game and then just kills Tyrell. So then having him repeatedly grab Jill and opt not only to not kill her instantly, but also throw her a safe distance away makes him look incompetent. This is a character who grabbed a huge slab of concrete that it'd probably take 10 men to lift, and then rammed it through surrounding concrete walls, meaning the guy can probably pop her head the same way people crush a can of coke. There's one scene where he's literally got the flamethrower pointed at her face and he gives her a good 5 seconds to run to safety.

If they were going to go that route then they needed to retcon Nemesis into being someone Jill knows like Barry who is actively fighting the urge to immediately kill her.

EDIT: If I sound like I'm being negative sorry, but I'm really disappointed with what they've done with the character. I actually got quite into that early impression that even included very obviously Terminator inspired music, and chasing Jill through her building. But then everything after and those stupid mutations really spoiled it. A lot of this is I think down to direction. Nemesis loses any semblance of humanity at probably less than the halfway point. By the very end it's latched itself to a singular position, so unlike the original where it's a mass of flesh desperately trying to catch Jill with it's last gasps, here it's stuck itself in a single position but has grown to 30 times its original size without absorbing any additional mass and doesn't really seem any weaker. I think a better action director might have focused on keeping Nemesis' eye, just to retain that spectre that it was once someone. By the end it looks too much like a Xenomorph in the face for it to not be noticeable.

AlphaRomero on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I said the same thing in my post on the previous page.
    By giving the Brad kill to a generic zombie instead of Nemesis, this meant that Nemesis never actually kills anyone for the huge bulk of the game and then just kills Tyrell. So then having him repeatedly grab Jill and opt not only to not kill her instantly, but also throw her a safe distance away makes him look incompetent. This is a character who grabbed a huge slab of concrete that it'd probably take 10 men to lift, and then rammed it through surrounding concrete walls, meaning the guy can probably pop her head the same way people crush a can of coke. There's one scene where he's literally got the flamethrower pointed at her face and he gives her a good 5 seconds to run to safety.

If they were going to go that route then they needed to retcon Nemesis into being someone Jill knows like Barry who is actively fighting the urge to immediately kill her.

EDIT: If I sound like I'm being negative sorry, but I'm really disappointed with what they've done with the character. I actually got quite into that early impression that even included very obviously Terminator inspired music, and chasing Jill through her building. But then everything after and those stupid mutations really spoiled it. A lot of this is I think down to direction. Nemesis loses any semblance of humanity at probably less than the halfway point. By the very end it's latched itself to a singular position, so unlike the original where it's a mass of flesh desperately trying to catch Jill with it's last gasps, here it's stuck itself in a single position but has grown to 30 times its original size without absorbing any additional mass and doesn't really seem any weaker. I think a better action director might have focused on keeping Nemesis' eye, just to retain that spectre that it was once someone. By the end it looks too much like a Xenomorph in the face for it to not be noticeable.
    In slight fairness, you'll find movies, games, and other media the world over have the same problem where the superpowered being just throws the hero away instead of doing the obvious and pragmatic move of snapping their neck. It "makes sense" because if they did that then the story would just be over, but it doesn't excuse it from looking stupid, and a decent writer would do their best to avoid the situation in the first place, or at least try not to make it obvious.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I never finished Leon's campaign so I've pulled this out of my backlog.

Lickers fucking suck. They're blind until they're not. If the game wants them to fight you, then by golly they will have spider sense.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    I'm nearly at the end of RE3 I think:
    fuck these Hunters in the hospital. One hit kills are the worst.

Overall I am actually really enjoying it. Once I got the hang of Nemesis it wasn't so bad.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    So does the Resident Evil 3 REMake include the Regina skin like in the olde days?

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Lickers fucking suck. They're blind until they're not. If the game wants them to fight you, then by golly they will have spider sense.

I tried walking past them but they always seem to follow me around anyways, with the narrow corridors it doesn't take much to brush up to one and start a fight. So I've taken to killing all the bastards. Might as well since you usually get a free shot when you first see them.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited April 2020

I tried walking past them but they always seem to follow me around anyways, with the narrow corridors it doesn't take much to brush up to one and start a fight. So I've taken to killing all the bastards. Might as well since you usually get a free shot when you first see them.

They're blind but they can still smell you, when you get close they'll start walking towards you. It just means you need to walk wide around them.

I think there are only one or two Lickers in all of RE2 that spawn knowing where you are, and you can go invisible to them by using a flash grenade.
    RT800 wrote: »
    So does the Resident Evil 3 REMake include the Regina skin like in the olde days?
    No.

Burnage on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm actually glad I'm pulling RE 2 out of my backlog. I beat it once as Claire then mistakenly played Leon 2nd Run, which introduces Mr. X early and was overwhelmingly difficult. I tried Vanilla run and met the reporter for the first time. Leon still feels more difficult but more reasonable.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    I fucking hate one hit kills in any game.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I wish there was a way to buy Resistance separately

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

They're blind but they can still smell you, when you get close they'll start walking towards you. It just means you need to walk wide around them.

I think there are only one or two Lickers in all of RE2 that spawn knowing where you are, and you can go invisible to them by using a flash grenade.

Using a flash grenade to blind the blind...?

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Damn.

They cut out a lot of content, like the Clocktower. I’m guessing it was because they wanted to release it sooner, but I really wish they went the RE2make route and only made minor cuts alongside substantial additions. Im hoping for some story DLC to help expand it, but guessing they may just go for non-story DLC which is disappointing. I’m still picking this up when it drops to $30, but wish they released it at a budget price considering they knew it was so short

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Using a flash grenade to blind the blind...?

I think the idea is that you deafen them with a loud noise and then they don’t know where you are

Finished it with a clear time of 4:46. Restarted a few times on the arena fight until I got the hang of what was going on. That final kill was satisfying.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Damn.

They cut out a lot of content, like the Clocktower. I’m guessing it was because they wanted to release it sooner, but I really wish they went the RE2make route and only made minor cuts alongside substantial additions. Im hoping for some story DLC to help expand it, but guessing they may just go for non-story DLC which is disappointing. I’m still picking this up when it drops to $30, but wish they released it at a budget price considering they knew it was so short

They cut a whole section of RE2 with the chemical plant between the sewers and the lab, to be fair. And I think one other area, but I can't remember for sure.

but yeah, a person playing through RE3 originally would probably beat it in about 6 hours or so. All of the Resident Evils before Code Veronica could be beat in around 6-8 hours, with all but 1 being closer to the 6 hour side.

RE2 Remake is also missing the A scenario's substantial section of Racoon City streets.

I'd have very much preferred another interconnecting section of streets for RE3 Remake. The donut shop section feels too small compared to what original RE3 offered. Even something like uptown from the original would be enough (i.e. not the stuff north of RPD).

QUxaIyW.png

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Is there any disadvantage to playing Claire A then Leon B in RE2 Remake?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    A then B is how it's designed to be played.

edited April 2020
    Man, Umbrella really peaked with the Nemesis.

That was their masterpiece. It was all downhill from there for them.

Dr. Chaos on
    Is there any disadvantage to playing Claire A then Leon B in RE2 Remake?

The B scenarios are generally a bit harder (but you're also much more familiar with the game by then). The scenarios have a little storyline interconnectedness (so Claire A+Leon B or Leon A+Claire B), but they have less than original RE2 and they don't have the item interconnectedness from original RE2.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    You'll also need to beat a b-scenario in order get the true ending

FC: 1907-8030-1478
    edited April 2020
    Did the RE2 remake end up making anyone else like Claire more?

Never cared much about her before but I like her spunk in this one. Also kind of makes me sad we never got to see her interact with Sherry in RE6.

Dr. Chaos on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I didn't much care how they handled the B scenarios in RE2R. In the original, they were actually connected "this is what the other person was doing at the time" stories. The B story here though feels nothing more than a difficulty remix of that character's plot. Not only do the stories barely link, but they contradict each other. I know Capcom could never keep a plot together to save its life, but this might be the first time it's done it in the same game. It's still worth playing. After the A story, you're probably jonesing to play the other character, and B will start you at an appropriate difficulty for your skill.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Yeah they certainly made Jill and Claire way cooler than in their original games.