As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need a new chair before my spine skips town.

SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
So I've been enduring various office chairs (for one unfortunate six month stretch, a plastic lawn chair) over the years and my back is becoming unhappier with me. I sit at the computer a lot and I'm a bit on the heavy side (250ish) so popping down to an office supply store isn't cutting the mustard anymore. On top of that, I'm in a position to afford something decent, let's say 300ish. So, H/A, what can you recommend?

Hard mode: has to be shipped to Hawaii. I know I'll have to kiss a kidney goodbye.

aTBDrQE.jpg

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hmm. Given your location compared to mine, it's hard to say if the in-store options are gonna be the same, but if you have access to an office depot/office max, you might poke your nose in and see if they carry the Brevington so you can try sitting in it, as far as I can tell the only difference between it and the chair I've got is the seam pattern on the back/seat, and this thing has kept me comfy in front of my computer for several years now. Fake leather stuff has been peeling away from wear, but otherwise holding strong. If this thing's been killing my back, it hasn't done it quick enough I go aaaargh my back.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It's probably outside your price range but I still want to summon @PiptheFair to shill for Herman Miller

I heard some people also like to sit on the Markus from Ikea

• Options
    Sadly Ikea isn't an option (there are a few companies that will import stuff from them but wowie those prices)

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    It's probably outside your price range but I still want to summon @PiptheFair to shill for Herman Miller

I heard some people also like to sit on the Markus from Ikea

I wish I got paid

I don't even own one! but they're generally some of the best chairs money can buy

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I own a Herman Miller Aeron chair and also got one at work thanks to the ADA. Can confirm it's perfect for back problems. But yeah, not in the 300 dollar range at all.

Edit: I will say, for the record, that I bought a lot of 300 dollar fixes before getting my first Aeron (provided by my other workplace, it turns out, the one that caused the back problems in the first place).

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Can you get your hands on a Steelcase Gesture or Leap? Two other solid options.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I own a Herman Miller Aeron chair and also got one at work thanks to the ADA. Can confirm it's perfect for back problems. But yeah, not in the 300 dollar range at all.

Edit: I will say, for the record, that I bought a lot of 300 dollar fixes before getting my first Aeron (provided by my other workplace, it turns out, the one that caused the back problems in the first place).

Will second, but I just bought an Aeron used (for $300 Canadian funny-bucks, no less), and it's great! Depending on your local market, you may keep your eyes peeled for offices getting rid of their commercial grade chairs. Get familiar with the premium brands, because if people are selling a chair and don't know what it is, you might be able to get it for significantly less than your budget. Best of luck!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

Will second, but I just bought an Aeron used (for $300 Canadian funny-bucks, no less), and it's great! Depending on your local market, you may keep your eyes peeled for offices getting rid of their commercial grade chairs. Get familiar with the premium brands, because if people are selling a chair and don't know what it is, you might be able to get it for significantly less than your budget. Best of luck!

What are the premium brands after Steelcase and Herman Miller?

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    BouwsT wrote: »

What are the premium brands after Steelcase and Herman Miller?

Hayworth Zody is another big$$ chair. Honestly though, HM or Steelcase are your most likely finds.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    I don't have any specific suggestions, but I'd ask if this chair is just for work, or is it for relaxation/gaming/etc. time at home as well?

I ask because I bought one of the much suggested Aerons for my desk at home a few years ago- and while it's great for sitting down and working, I've found it less great when I want to get cozy, recline back and watch a movie for awhile. If I had the space (and if I hadn't already spent $900 on the Aeron), I'd probably buy a second chair- a cushier, reclining one with foot and head rests for when I just want to relax instead of work.

So being clear about how you're using it will probably help get you closer to a chair you'll be happy with, because as far as I know there isn't a chair that's equally great at everything, even if you spend a ton of money.

• Options
    1205Dennis1205Dennis Registered User regular
    This is within your price range and can support your weight, too https://popular.reviews/best-gaming-chairs/#2_Homall_Executive_Swivel
    I have it at the office, if you sit on it in the proper position, not slouching like most of us tend to do, it really helps and is very comfortable.

• Options
    I don't have any specific suggestions, but I'd ask if this chair is just for work, or is it for relaxation/gaming/etc. time at home as well?

I ask because I bought one of the much suggested Aerons for my desk at home a few years ago- and while it's great for sitting down and working, I've found it less great when I want to get cozy, recline back and watch a movie for awhile. If I had the space (and if I hadn't already spent $900 on the Aeron), I'd probably buy a second chair- a cushier, reclining one with foot and head rests for when I just want to relax instead of work.

So being clear about how you're using it will probably help get you closer to a chair you'll be happy with, because as far as I know there isn't a chair that's equally great at everything, even if you spend a ton of money.

This is strictly home use, so 75% gaming, 15% thinking I'm productive, and 10% actual productivity.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Aerons and chairs like them are going to be good for your back if you sit in them properly. You can get a "gaming" chair that reclines so far back you are pretty much horizontal to the floor but unless you got a second monitor mounted on your ceiling you will just be trading back pain for neck pain from cranking your neck down to the point your chin is resting on your chest in order to see your monitor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't recline much in my chair, so a generous recline function is wasted on me.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Definitely look for businesses that are closing down or moving. I picked up a basically brand new Aeron for my wife for $300 that way.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    The allsteel trooper is a really great chair and after using it at work for a half year I went to the trouble of getting one for my home too. I love it.
    Doesn't look like much but really gets the job done in my experience.
    They're difficult to get though, you need to go through a supplier. On the bright side, you probably have one local to you, so you might not even have to pay for shipping (since you'd just buy it through them)

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    You can also check on ebay for refurbished or reconditioned chairs. There are plenty of Aeron or Steelcase Leap chairs in the $300-400 range, but shipping may get expensive depending on the seller.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    There's a lot of sellers that flat out will not ship something the size of an office/gaming chair out here. Hence the hard mode.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Hey sorry if this is a necropost, but saw this
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/383485852271
    and was wondering how to verify since that seems too good to be true

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    I purchased a an IKEA Jarvfjallet about 2 weeks ago and I am really happy with. Not a gaming chair though, more of a work chair that encourages you to sit upright and has great back and head support. You may try to find a used one if there is no Ikea in Hawaii.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    There isn't-- I found one at Office Max when the shelter in place stuff was announced, but I will probably need a spatula when it starts getting warmer.

aTBDrQE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.