As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I'd give her a timeout but she was already in her room. (No screens in there, just books and stuffed toys.)

Waiting out the tantrum sorta worked. We did some math exercises (more and less) followed by some reading exercises (rhyming) and she was obedient throughout. So her reward is ABC Mouse and I finally have a little break here.

Edit: headache coming on though. I knew it was a bad idea to get out of bed today.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Any teen parents - because the job market is probably going to be crappy this Spring my son's hopes for a parttime job are probably going to be delayed. Therefore, we're giving him the $500 tax credit we're getting from the relief package. What is the easiest way for him to have access to that - setup a new checking account w/ debit card or just preload a Visa or something?

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Set up a checking and savings account in his name so he can learn about budgeting, online banking, having a place for funds to go in the future, and start building credit score. If you're worried about him spending it all at once, put it in the savings account and have discussions about budgeting and drawing onto checking from savings to keep that mental layer of separation (it's not like the interest rate on a low balance savings account is going to earn anything of note).

I trust him pretty much to not go on an amazon spree - hell he's the only one in the house that consistently remembers the paypal password. It's more convenience that I want him to have access without having to check with us for every little $5 DLC purchase. I like the idea of both a checking and savings though - to help him pace his spending.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Having dealt a lot with teens and prepaid debit cards at work (I have an absolute diatribe prepared about people getting paychecks that way), I would 100% advocate getting your kids their own bank accounts as soon as is humanly possible. Prepaid cards are predatory and bad once you're dealing with any amount of money beyond very small sums.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I trust him pretty much to not go on an amazon spree - hell he's the only one in the house that consistently remembers the paypal password. It's more convenience that I want him to have access without having to check with us for every little $5 DLC purchase. I like the idea of both a checking and savings though - to help him pace his spending.

I do some of my banking with Simple and it might work for what you need. No fees, has a nice app, and has tools for tracking your spending and for putting money towards future goals.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My parents got me a checking and savings account at 15 with my first job and co-signed a separate credit card in my name with like a 500 dollar limit. It had some insane APR like 18% or something

It taught me so much and instilled the drive to pay off my current card every month.

Having an early line of credit will also provide a lengthy report for future loan applications.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Having dealt a lot with teens and prepaid debit cards at work (I have an absolute diatribe prepared about people getting paychecks that way), I would 100% advocate getting your kids their own bank accounts as soon as is humanly possible. Prepaid cards are predatory and bad once you're dealing with any amount of money beyond very small sums.

Fully agree with this. I hate those prepaid cards; when we'd receive them for our wedding/baby shower/kid's birthday I always felt bad because I could recognize the other person wanted to thoughtfully and securely give us some money, but half of my brain was also thinking "Uncle John just paid $55 so that he could give us $50."

In addition to the bank stuff others have said, it will give the kid an opportunity to see some of the options debit cards come with, and take some ownership over the account settings. Do you want your card to stop working when you run out of money, or do you want it to allow you to keep spending past your limit and then gouge you with a fee afterwards? Stuff like that.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I got it all tonight.

My hugs are the worst
    She wants to throw me through a window
    She wants to hit me in the head
    She's never going to hug me ever again
    She's never going to talk to be every again
    I'm the worst and she's never going to be my friend.

All because daddy wanted some quiet alone time and it was my turn to get her ready for bed.

Most of these were said while curled up on my lap, fighting sleep.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I’m sorry, @lonelyahava ... that would all be awful to hear from your child, regardless of if she knows what she’s saying or not.

Sending love and hugs!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Good ol emotional terrorism.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

I do some of my banking with Simple and it might work for what you need. No fees, has a nice app, and has tools for tracking your spending and for putting money towards future goals.

I'll second Simple.

Since it's a true debt account, you can't spend more than you have.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    My parents got me a checking and savings account at 15 with my first job and co-signed a separate credit card in my name with like a 500 dollar limit. It had some insane APR like 18% or something

It taught me so much and instilled the drive to pay off my current card every month.

Having an early line of credit will also provide a lengthy report for future loan applications.

That's a completely normal credit card interest rate.

It's just that "normal" is still insane.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I remember there being some sort of age restriction on debit cards. At least through my last credit union. When I tried to get my son, who was I guess 13 at the time, they said he wasn't old enough. Thus making the idea that's being used here, unable to happen. Just an FYI.

50433.png?1708759015
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular

My credit card APR is 25.6% because I had no credit history (due to being an immigrant) when I applied.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll call the credit union and see what they offer and look more into that online one as well. I have a co-worker who has some teen account thing for her kid but it's got a service fee that's more than I want to pay because frankly I don't think he needs all the rules they can place on their kid's card.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    The other thing you can do if 1) you have good credit and 2) you can trust your kid, is to add them as a co-signer on your credit card. My parents did it for me so I could legally run into the store and pick up whatever while they took a nap or kept listening to NPR or whatever. It made me feel all grown up and I left the house for college with something like 4 or 5 years of perfect credit history.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So my daughter might have celiacs. We took her to the doctor right before the city lockdown from covid because she was fatigued and complained of her legs hurting when she walked.
    They did a quick finger poke, and found she had anemia. So they did a larger blood test. Got the result back recently, and there's markers for celiacs.
    So now we get to do telemedicine with a gastroenterologist.. have to make an appointment Monday to see if/ when we can get that appointment. Told not to go gluten free until we talk to them.
    What a time to try to get this figured out. I mean, at least I pushed to get her to the doctor before everything went terribly. But I'm guessing the testing will be (understandably) slow to happen for a full diagnosis.

For what it's worth, the diagnostic test for that involves an esophogeal gastric duodenal scope (EGD) with biopsies and depending on your kids age that will also involve a general anesthetic.

I'd suggest you just go straight Gluten Free and you'll know in a few days if that's the issue.

Source: I am a nurse anesthetist and my wife and her entire family has celiac disease.

Going GF isn't that bad other than pizza. God I miss real pizza.

My wife makes an amazing homemade gluten free pizza crust. We're both celiac and have been gluten free for over 10 years now. If folks want some good recipes I can nab them from her.

The general trick is using various different flours, if I remember right.

If she has a good idea for a pirosky/pirogi dough, I'd love to hear it. It was one of my wives favorite foods before she got the celiac diagnosis, and I've been trying to find a way to make some for her since.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So my daughter might have celiacs. We took her to the doctor right before the city lockdown from covid because she was fatigued and complained of her legs hurting when she walked.
    They did a quick finger poke, and found she had anemia. So they did a larger blood test. Got the result back recently, and there's markers for celiacs.
    So now we get to do telemedicine with a gastroenterologist.. have to make an appointment Monday to see if/ when we can get that appointment. Told not to go gluten free until we talk to them.
    What a time to try to get this figured out. I mean, at least I pushed to get her to the doctor before everything went terribly. But I'm guessing the testing will be (understandably) slow to happen for a full diagnosis.

For what it's worth, the diagnostic test for that involves an esophogeal gastric duodenal scope (EGD) with biopsies and depending on your kids age that will also involve a general anesthetic.

I'd suggest you just go straight Gluten Free and you'll know in a few days if that's the issue.

Source: I am a nurse anesthetist and my wife and her entire family has celiac disease.

Going GF isn't that bad other than pizza. God I miss real pizza.

Yeah, doctor in today's telemedicine appointment said not to do the diagnostic test. Just switch the diet, and do another blood test in around 6 months. And just to wait until she's older to get a full test done.
    She's not big fan of pizza anyways, so the switch won't be too hard on her. I'll be having fun, though. I'm kind of glad about the gluten free fad, though

Different people have had different degrees of success, but we ended up just making the whole house gluten free. I still sneak wheat based things at work from time to time, but I just buy them on my way in and leave them in my desk.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Child is going to be the reason I start drinking again.

I'm pretty close to the end of the rope with this little terrorist.

She wanted to make pizzas. so today we made shortbread crust and did a dessert pizza with cream cheese frosting and lots and lots of candies and sprinkles. And then we made real pizza bases and she put her own toppings on and we baked them and she was so excited.

And she ate nothing.

She ate the cheese and mushrooms off the top of one quarter of her personal sized pizza and then the actual dough out of one eighth of the pizza. That's it.

I am so very tired of this not eating bullshit.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Last night we made steak and I cut into little pieces and my 5 year old had 3 helpings big my 3 year old tried 1 piece and spit it out.

And this morning I made toast with peanut bigger and jam and my 5 year old eats it all and of course the 3 year old won't eat the crust which means most of the toast doesn't get eaten since she won't bite near the crust.

God dammit.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Is it a texture thing? I still have a whole host of foods I won't eat because of some amount of taste/texture combination. Like, say, tomatoes; if it's ketchup or a sauce with zero tomato chunks, I'm good, but even the smallest tomato chunk makes me gag, still.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Middle Guy requested a peanut butter and honey sandwich for dinner (not the dinner everyone else is having, obviously) under extreme duress (because why not...cookies? But why?), *then* wanted the spaghetti that everyone else was having when he saw what the final product looked like (I had to buy higher quality stuff this time because that's what was available, and also spaghetti cooked in butter slathered in parmesan cheese is one of his favorite meals)

These are some of his all-star, top five, *very* favorite things to eat, and he ended up eating not-quite half a sandwich, and sucked the cheese off the noodles, and then spent the rest of the night whining for another piece of Tiny Wonder's birthday cake. He went to bed claiming to be starving , and I had to stop myself from going all "back in my day" on him

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Is it a texture thing? I still have a whole host of foods I won't eat because of some amount of taste/texture combination. Like, say, tomatoes; if it's ketchup or a sauce with zero tomato chunks, I'm good, but even the smallest tomato chunk makes me gag, still.

Yes! At 44, tomatoes in chunk form of any kind make me gag. But sauces are fine. So strange.

Also onions. Anything onion will damn near make me puke. Texture, flavor, just about anything onion related. Onion powder is just about the only thing I can stand. This of course drives the wife nuts, but no matter how many times I explain, she just can't except it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Yes! At 44, tomatoes in chunk form of any kind make me gag. But sauces are fine. So strange.

Also onions. Anything onion will damn near make me puke. Texture, flavor, just about anything onion related. Onion powder is just about the only thing I can stand. This of course drives the wife nuts, but no matter how many times I explain, she just can't except it.

I can do onions, but most whole onion pieces don't like me.

Other food issues I can think of are liver/organ meats, mustard, mayonnaise, essentially every type of salad dressing . . . those are off the top of my head. I also remember having tooth work done as a teenager, and my tongue was numb and I tried to eat a PBJ when I came back from the dentist and . . . can I tell you that the texture of jam and of peanut butter are straight up awful without the flavor? Because my god. :eek:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Videogaming with infant in arms is some clutch parenting in any form.

it's responsible with one of my favourite photos of me and Bean
    h96u0nyxkcuw.jpg

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    “It’s forward, down, then diagonal, Dad. How do you still not get this?”

edited April 2020
    My 12 year old is driving me batty because she'll only take one bite of breakfast and them wander off. Of course, this is nothing new, she's always been a slow eater in the morning. I try not to harangue her too much because I don't want food to be a source of anxiety for her, so instead I'm just shouting into the internet void.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The kids were quite busy working from home today. Fortunately, Luke was there to help Abigail figure out a tough coding issue.

2due59fe7tfx.jpg
    2wu2nfo4mjlv.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    The Princess and the Pea is a bullshit story.

That's why my child loves it so much, right?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    The Princess and the Pea is a bullshit story.

That's why my child loves it so much, right?
    I have told Little King so many different versions of that one in an effort to have it make more sense. I prefer to retell it from the viewpoint of the "princess" who has planned showing up at the castle on a rainy day to attempt to marry into the landed elite. She sees through the queen's plot as it unfolds (putting 10 mattresses on top of each other is a dead giveaway that something is up).

Like, the Prince is an entitled little shit. And the Queen just abuses the concept of hospitality.

And in the end they're all perfectly happy once they find a girl that's comfortable with waking up covered in bruises? Like, what?

And Thumbleina, which used to be one of my favourites, is just. Ok sure, not a terrible story, she actually deserves the happy ending that she gets but, what about her mother!?!?! She gets gifted a lovely baby by a witch/fairy and then the child disappeared and.... Nothing. The mother is unimportant.

Can you tell what videos Ellie had been watching while I've been working?

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Child is going to be the reason I start drinking again.

I'm pretty close to the end of the rope with this little terrorist.

She wanted to make pizzas. so today we made shortbread crust and did a dessert pizza with cream cheese frosting and lots and lots of candies and sprinkles. And then we made real pizza bases and she put her own toppings on and we baked them and she was so excited.

And she ate nothing.

She ate the cheese and mushrooms off the top of one quarter of her personal sized pizza and then the actual dough out of one eighth of the pizza. That's it.

I am so very tired of this not eating bullshit.

We are all here for you, amigo. Most of us have been here for both of your posts. I've got quite a few about how my infant daughter recoiled at my very touch for about the first year of life.

Last night she wanted plan noodles instead of my lovingly hand crafted red sauce with Italian sausage

And that's fine! Annoying as hell, but fine.

I try to balance placating her whims and being overly controlling. If she wants to only eat parts of dinner, fine, but she doesn't get a whole other meal made for her.

As far as the emotional terrorism is concerned well, they're monsters and try not to take it personally.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited April 2020
    So remember how I was mentioning how awesome my teacher was during the first week of quarantine? I've been reading through the lines of some direct communications with her and I've gotten the distinct impression she was reprimanded by the school district for what she did that week. Obviously I can't prove it and she's understandably being circumspect, but it wouldn't surprise me. I get the impression she's really discouraged now.

Additionally the current "official" plan has been worthless for my special needs daughter. Right before this whole thing broke out we had finally gotten an IEP that allowed for her to be fully integrated in the classroom. We had all agreed that she did best with peer-modeling. Well shit, now the only way she gets peer-modeling is with daily zoom meetings, but ever since the administration clamped down on her teacher, we're only having zoom meetings on Tuesday and Friday. She can't focus during these meetings and her behavior has just been a frustrating mess this past week. All I get from the administration now is a ton of resources and no clear schedule. I suppose typical kids can just randomly do whatever assignments there are for the day, but my kid needs consistency and we're just not getting it these days.

Really annoyed and dispirited. And on top of everything the kid woke up at 5am and I couldn't get back to sleep while she was making a racket in the other room, so now I'm just complaining online.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    This doesn’t make you feel any better at all, but I’ve been told that you shouldn’t be trying to have daily contact with students as if it is a house with multiple students and there are limited computers means that not all kids will be able to get on at the same time.

/sigh

And I just got the notice that this week's class has been pushed to Thursday at 11. So I've got to completely rewrite Thursday's schedule.

Yeah, what Blake said makes sense. Still sucks from a non typical education perspective.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Zoom with passwords makes sense, but will be the end of me. Took half an hour to get a meeting started. No random password should have a "I", "0", or similar. I tried other ways to connect, and the teacher isn't tech savvy enough to get other things working

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Had to spend an hour and a half consoling my oldest yesterday because school is cancelled for the rest of the year meaning she's not going to see any of her Kindergarten class except the one kid who lives on our street, and she's not going to see her teacher again and it's not fair.

Also having to deal with three 3 year-olds who are all Special Needs and were supposed to start their program at the local school last week and now are not getting any of the help they need and won't until September at the earliest and holy shit there are so many people out there who have it so much worse right now but damnit this sucks.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the half hour I spent getting zoom to work was for my 4 year old's special education teacher. The zoom classes are.. not working well.

That sucks for your kids. It's ok to be disappointed, because they aren't getting what they need. I think we all know the reasons, and agree with them. But it's hard to try to do right by your kids in these times.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Niko turned 5 last Sunday! He said he had a great day. :) He got a couple of Mario play sets from us, which he played with very nicely with Anya, and a bike from my in-laws (which was too small, but they managed to return and replace it yesterday).

Hard to believe the baby on the left turned into the stinker on the right!

2020-04-06%2023.51.50.jpg