As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Also for extra goofy money making tips: Enter any bar and get good at the bar games.

So far I've being playing a new character that more or less exists on being a fucking shark at the Empire's surrounded king tavern game. If you play on defence and think through moves it's not hard to beat the toughest AI and leave every city with 500-1000 a week based on how many times they let you repeat.

And yeah my entire opinion of this game is that I'm gonna play it casually in single player, a lot in multiplayer and wait till they sort out the snowballing/levelling being absurd/myriad bullshit that comes with trying to simulate this much garbage in a game system in single player.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Been watching Cohh's stream of Mount & Blade 2, and have a question:

Is this a game that has/will have controller support? It looks really cool, but I have accessibility concerns.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I'm not even sure which lords i am meant to visit, faction leaders?
    I'd do more quests, but i hardly even find any except ones that ask me to smuggle stuff or fence goods, neither are things i want to do as they seem to automaticly give me criminal rating.
    If there is a way to do them without getting caught, i don't know what it is.
    And lot of quests seem to be bugged to a point where they can break your save, though most of that may have been fixed.

Did a quest Bad Company or somesuch, where i had to go find some new employers for mercenaries (who kept stealing from package train constantly), kinda feel bad for the noble i managed to hand them to, and wishing i could have just, i dunno, taken them into the desert and then executed the lot.

6/10 on the nobles talked to, almost at aday 200, level 13, smithing 70, riding and melee 60+, and i finally bought the crossbow and maxed smithing focus.
    I have gotten scouting to 20 and charm to 9 (raising those two is stupid hard, especially charm).
    Currently moving from infantry legionaries to cataphracts, only problem i have is that finding the special troops that can be turned to cataphracts are stupid rare.

Wondering if i should have companions form their own parties, what do new parties do for me anyway? I don't have a fief, or a kingdom, does having multiple parties have any benefit when you have no terrotiry to defend from bandits and/or armies?

I think parties are basically lords armies but of your clan. From what I've seen, they roam around recruiting new troops and attacking bandits. It's a decent way to have more troops training up at a time and have your companion raise things like tactics and stewardship, but outside of that I don't know of a really good reason to have them without lands to patrol. I don't think you can have them follow you to have a larger force since you can't create armies without having a kingdom. I didn't see a way to give them any kind of direction or goal.

Probably better to make them lead caravan then.
    you need companions to lead caravans, right? I think it came up when i was thinking of doing a caravan (bought a wool workshop instead, it makes next to no profit half the time, maybe i should either turn it into a brewery or sell it and buy another business elsewhere).

edit-
    I'm not even sure which lords i am meant to visit, faction leaders?
    I'd do more quests, but i hardly even find any except ones that ask me to smuggle stuff or fence goods, neither are things i want to do as they seem to automaticly give me criminal rating.
    If there is a way to do them without getting caught, i don't know what it is.
    And lot of quests seem to be bugged to a point where they can break your save, though most of that may have been fixed.

Did a quest Bad Company or somesuch, where i had to go find some new employers for mercenaries (who kept stealing from package train constantly), kinda feel bad for the noble i managed to hand them to, and wishing i could have just, i dunno, taken them into the desert and then executed the lot.

6/10 on the nobles talked to, almost at aday 200, level 13, smithing 70, riding and melee 60+, and i finally bought the crossbow and maxed smithing focus.
    I have gotten scouting to 20 and charm to 9 (raising those two is stupid hard, especially charm).
    Currently moving from infantry legionaries to cataphracts, only problem i have is that finding the special troops that can be turned to cataphracts are stupid rare.

Wondering if i should have companions form their own parties, what do new parties do for me anyway? I don't have a fief, or a kingdom, does having multiple parties have any benefit when you have no terrotiry to defend from bandits and/or armies?

edit-
    Has some further updates to avoid snowballing conquest.
    Defections from loosing faction to winning one less likely, rulers more selective in attacking distant settlements, sieging makes people in faction you are sieging dislike you, etc...

My gut instinct is that the Roguery skill will give you a chance to avoid being caught during criminal quests. Or at least it should.
    Possible, but considering the state of the game i somehow doubt it. Though that probably is on the list of things to be added if it is not in already.
    Will need to try later when my roguery is higher.

edit2-
    Making money is pretty easy in this game.
    Like, weirdly easy, i remember playing Warband viking conquest and never managing to do more than barely break even with the constant need to replace my soldiers after losses.
    Using the hardwood to charcoal trick, and just selling all my loot and doing some trading (silver is good, but even grain can get you decent profits if you have enough carrying capacity), i am sitting on over 100k, and that is after spending over 100k on gear (crossbow, some helmets and shoulder armor for me and my 5 companions).

The economy is just broken, resources like hardwood replenish too fast for the amount of money you can make from them.

Nyysjan on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've gotten far enough in my current game to form my own kingdom, but I feel like I might need to start a new game. There are basically 3 powers left, since I started this game before they added the finance stuff to help kingdoms manage their money and provide some protection against snowballing, but in my game they'd already snowballed.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Been watching Cohh's stream of Mount & Blade 2, and have a question:

Is this a game that has/will have controller support? It looks really cool, but I have accessibility concerns.

It doesn't currently and M&B1's controller support was..spotty on the PC.
    edit: apparently it has limited support right now for XB1 controllers only.

Phoenix-D on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Also for extra goofy money making tips: Enter any bar and get good at the bar games.

So far I've being playing a new character that more or less exists on being a fucking shark at the Empire's surrounded king tavern game. If you play on defence and think through moves it's not hard to beat the toughest AI and leave every city with 500-1000 a week based on how many times they let you repeat.

And yeah my entire opinion of this game is that I'm gonna play it casually in single player, a lot in multiplayer and wait till they sort out the snowballing/levelling being absurd/myriad bullshit that comes with trying to simulate this much garbage in a game system in single player.

Once you have enough to bet on yourself at tournaments, they can net you 1800 + an item that may sell for up to 6000 (+ 3 renown, but pffft). you can talk to any arena master to find nearby tournaments and there are basically always 2 in riding range (there are probably 8 or so running at any one time across the entire map). So you win 1 and ride to the next a day or two away.

I've found the ones in the middle empire easiest.
    My character is built for riding + bows, but I've found the cheese to tournament combat is to perform a left-to-right swing as you walk counter-clockwise around the opponent (stay on their shield side). You'll generally be dodging their blows while eventually working in a head or arm strike. Empire tournaments will always end with single combat using sword + shield.

Otherwise, it's usually just picking off the weakest opponent at the time in multi-unit skirmishes so that you can get down to a 1v1.

An occasional high-level named character can make them a bit rougher and you might lose if you're on full damage and happen to take 1 or 2 bad hits.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I think the most fun is getting a nice 2 handed axe and spear, riding full tilt into a giant group of people with the spear and swapping to axe. Then you just go to town for a bit.

It's really nice to see two or three people drop in a single swing from horseback.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Having horses in your inventory speeds your movement up on the world map. I wish I'd know that earlier. It has to be horses with the type 'horse' (maybe 'war horse' works too). Sumpter horses, mules etc. don't work.

steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    Having horses in your inventory speeds your movement up on the world map. I wish I'd know that earlier. It has to be horses with the type 'horse' (maybe 'war horse' works too). Sumpter horses, mules etc. don't work.

They increase your carrying capacity instead.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    How do you get to buy workshops and trade fiefs and such? Does my clan level have to be a certain level?

Moridin889 on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Right now the Northern Empire has 60% of the map since it was before the latest patch. Should I just declare war and execute the leaders? Would that help rebalance?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
      Oh man, my buddy bought me this and it's just like Warband's multiplayer but better. Still janky, but lots of nice little improvements, like getting to choose from a couple items per class and horses knocking infantry down.

Spears still fuck cavalry up though, and that's all I want. Just wiping the smirk off those smug fuckers faces

JtgVX0H.png
    • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
      Multiplayer siege is pretty fun.

Nothing like "Received 647 pierce damage" when you're in front of the wrong ballista, though..

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
      My buddy and I were playing some deathmatch, but due to the nature of DM spawning we would often end up at opposite ends of the map. No biggie, and at one point it was me and two randos holed up in a barn, absolutely fucking annihilating any of the enemy team that tried to come in. The three of us must have killed 15-20 of them before we finally fell. I basically fell into my old support routine of using a spear and shield and either jumping in front of a hit for a teammate, or using my spear to distract or poke an enemy from the side/rear. It was glorious

JtgVX0H.png
    • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
      Taleworlds confirmed they'll be adding auto block, due to popular request. I'm assuming it'll be just for single player, like in Warband.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
      The command mode multiplayer maps are fun too, where everyone gets their own band of AI goons to order around. Kinda wish there were some more open maps for that though - everything doesn't have to be a phone-booth deathmatch and maneuvering options other than "hold this street while the team attacks down that street" would be nice.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
      I'm now in limit test mode.

On standard difficulty a group of 80 cavalry and 50 foot/archers that are either fully upgraded or one level before can take out a 600 man army with minimal casualties.

Banner knights are just ridiculous and so good.

I did notice a bug with Khuzait heavy Lancers. They are weaker than the previous level. It looks like the coders dropped a number. Instead of 120 they only have 20 skill listed in the encyclopedia thing.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
      Taleworlds confirmed they'll be adding auto block, due to popular request. I'm assuming it'll be just for single player, like in Warband.

Where'd they confirm it? All I've been able to see is the same "customer service" response from one of the auto-block megathreads that has no actual source and ends up referencing a Steam forum thread that in turn references the same TaleWorlds forum thread in a big loop.

ZvOMJnu.png
      - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    • SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
      Can anyone explain why crossbows are so ridiculously expensive? I made a new character intending them to be a Crossbowman, but that's god damn impossible because the cheapest crossbow is 21k and change. Did someone accidentally add an extra digit on the price or something? How is anyone supposed to play a crossbow character? And why does upgrading troops to crossbowmen so cheap when you logically have to buy them a 21k piece of equipment?

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
      Equipment prices are bugged out right now, and the cheaper tiers of crossbows aren't appearing in stores for some reason or another, despite existing.

ZvOMJnu.png
      - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
      Economy is bonkers, crossbows just seem to be an insane outlier of it.
      Now, i have a crossbow, paid 40k gold for it, and i do enjoy using it whenever possible (mostly bandit camps), but i do wish there was a smaller one i could buy and reload while on horseback.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
      Now, i have a crossbow, paid 40k gold for it, and i do enjoy using it whenever possible (mostly bandit camps), but i do wish there was a smaller one i could buy and reload while on horseback.

None of them are reloadable from horseback. You need either the riding or the crossbow perk sadly

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
      Zibblsnrt wrote: »
      The command mode multiplayer maps are fun too, where everyone gets their own band of AI goons to order around. Kinda wish there were some more open maps for that though - everything doesn't have to be a phone-booth deathmatch and maneuvering options other than "hold this street while the team attacks down that street" would be nice.

Captain mode is really fun but it could definitely use some tweaks in terms of faction match ups sometimes being miserable and the morale loss from flags basically being worthless so you might as well blob heavy infantry at B.

Moridin889 wrote: »

None of them are reloadable from horseback. You need either the riding or the crossbow perk sadly
      I did say i wish there was.

If you park your party next to a hideout, the bandits attack you even though their odds are horrible. I've been standing next to a sea bandit hideout and farming it and it just makes so much money.

steam_sig.png
      They come out of the hideout? I know they must do so sometime, but whenever i hangout near a bandit lair with huge number bandits in them, they just stay there for good.

edited April 2020
      No, it's the roaming parties that come back that attack. I haven't seen any parties trying to get out.

I'm up near Pravend and there are a *lot* of bandits and hideouts and some are better for this than others. So you might need to try a few to find one that you like.

Fiskebent on
      steam_sig.png
    • GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
      For those curious about workshops I have been experimenting a bit and pottery seems to give the consistently highest return on investment. Followed closely by Brewery and Smithy.
      It doesn't seem to matter what the attached villages produce, just the prosperity of the town.

causality.png
      Gokerz wrote: »
      For those curious about workshops I have been experimenting a bit and pottery seems to give the consistently highest return on investment. Followed closely by Brewery and Smithy.
      It doesn't seem to matter what the attached villages produce, just the prosperity of the town.
      /facepalm
      Well, time to sell the wool workshop on Poros i guess.
      Does the encyclopedia tell you how prosperous a town is? Or do i need to manually check them one by one?

edited April 2020
      The encyclopedia tells you, but you can also just mouse over the city.
      The fastest way I have found is to go into the kingdom tab where it shows all faction's lords with their fiefs. The second row is their fief's prosperity, giving you the quickest overview.

Edit: expect ~300 Gold per day from each workshop.
      Caravans seem to have been significantly buffed during one of the last patches, I now consistently get around ~1500 from each of them. Which seems fair as they take one of your companions away who get increasingly valuable as you rise in Clan rank.

Gokerz on
      causality.png
      I'm going to dispute the just prosperity bit.
      Poros is not the least prosperous of the towns i have workshops in, but it is the least profitable, going anywhere from near 200 gold, to 0 gold, profits at varying times, while the other two hold a steady 150 to 180 gold.
      Though it might be the wool workshop bit.

edited April 2020
      You are definitely right that there must be some additional factor, because I had a few workshops go to 0 as well during my testing (Wool in Ocs Hall, Woodworker and Smithy in Galend). I have no Idea why that might be though, and all others generally work fine.
      Disclaimer: only tested in Ocs Hall, Galend and Epicrotea.

Gokerz on
      causality.png
    • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
      It feels like, the higher my blacksmithing gets the LESS likely I am to get smithing parts when I break things down, regardless of the level of the weapon. It got to the point where I could break down the weapons of a pitched battle's victory and get nothing. I know it's a random chance, but it feels a bit low especially when the skills which can boost your likelihood of getting smithing parts are mutually exclusive with the skills to make the materials to do so.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
      In hindsight, i'm thinking that maybe i should have made my smith pick the learn skill line instead of ability to make steel, and level a companion to make the materials.
      I just don't like the idea of not being able to make the steel when there is no reliable suply of it.
      It's not necessarily unrealistic to have an excellent smith who just can't make steel, they are different jobs, most smiths would not make their own steel, there's just no point in making the necessary infrastructure.
      But if that's the tack the game wants to take, they should then make them different skill lines.
      If they were efficient skills like the first perk, that would make more sense, or if you had to pick between increased part learning from forging or smelting.

korodullin wrote: »

Where'd they confirm it? All I've been able to see is the same "customer service" response from one of the auto-block megathreads that has no actual source and ends up referencing a Steam forum thread that in turn references the same TaleWorlds forum thread in a big loop.

I saw it in a PC Gamer article, but they referenced the CR. They did say they were going to announce it on their forums.

• Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
      edited April 2020
      Ok, I need some help here. Is there a way to equip companions and if so how? I looked all over and could not find it. My guys and gals need horses sheesh!

It was possible in Warband by talking to them.

Drunken Bastard on
    • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
      edited April 2020
      Ok, I need some help here. Is there a way to equip companions and if so how? I looked all over and could not find it. My guys and gals need horses sheesh!

In the inventory screen in the top center is your character's name and an arrow to the left and right.

Axen on
      A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
      Axen wrote: »

In the inventory screen in the top center is your character's name and an arrow to the left and right.

You also do the same thing in the character screen to apply their points and pick perks they've unlocked.

• Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
      Axen wrote: »

Well I'll be damned..hidden in plain sight. Thanks!

I wonder why there's no camels in the list of banner symbols.