As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I miss the Katering Show so much.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Looks great, Didge! <3

Also sorry for the inconvenience too, Xaquin! But yeah, maybe the easiest way to resolve this if people want, is that those who do chicken this week, do risotto the next? A chicken-risotto twofer (.....though I guess you could also just prepare them together!) :P

I managed to put in a farm delivery order for a chicken this week (assuming it doesn't get cancelled) so I may do just that

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeh I made my roast chicken last week. lol.

I could just put photos of that up, but that would be cheating.

I make roast chicken a lot, though.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Since it's been making the rounds we should spend a week being absolute monsters and do an Aspic theme.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I'm for this

signature.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    oh no I forgot to take pictures!

It's stock now

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    HOT WET RICE

yeah guys I'm passing on this week's theme, hot wet rice of all kinds is Strongly Not My Jam

Roast chicken's easy-peasy I just gotta figure out what I want to dress it up as

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    My first kind of failure? I think I had too many different things going on and slightly undercooked the risotto? It's like 80% perfect with some that is too aldente. Then I went nuts on sauteing veggies and deepfrying chicken. The veggies were spicy and the chicken didn't brown like I was hoping.

Thankfully everything was made with butter and or deep fried so it was all delicious.

6ISBuC1.jpg

Process: https://imgur.com/a/lho5vAt

I like to ART
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    looks great to me!

• Options
    This really should be in the OP for this week, also was basically my experience.

https://youtu.be/4yr_etbfZtQ

I like to ART
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I didn't know the Katering Show existed before Xaquin posted the risotto episode. And now I have watched all of it, and am sad they are done making them.

Just part of this week's ongoing emotional roller coaster!

Minor S2 spoiler
    I completely lost it during the Yummy Mummies episode, especially the placenta lasagna. Oh my god...

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Well, my farmer's market order of mushrooms didn't arrive in time, but

427ef9yyh3nw.png

The pressure cooker version. I only bought a half ounce of dried porcini and in these days I decided not to risk going to the store to get another bag. It still tasted good though!

signature.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    qKKo1L2h.jpg

The simple, no mess, no fuss parm version. I added a splash of cream and a little extra butter and chicken, because I felt like treating myself

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have absolutely lost all track of time and space and suddenly I'm out of the week for risotto.

I will figure this out. time is in this bizarre distillation right now.

• Options
    milski that looks so creamy! <3

Also ahava you could totally make it sometime later, this is a very laid back cook club. :p

I'm putting up the chicken recipes now..

signature.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Recipes are up! There's a million ways to prepare roast chicken. Some other recipes I've used before include:

Spicy garlic lime chicken
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/44868/spicy-garlic-lime-chicken/

There's also that whole "Engagement Chicken" recipe which I find a little silly but supposedly it tastes great, so hey!
    https://www.glamour.com/story/engagement-chicken

Please share other tried and true recipes you may have!

Also: again heavily want to stress that y'all should try butterflying/spatchcocking the chicken no matter which recipes you go with. :D

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    my fave way of preparing a roast chicken is to basically make a lot of a herbed and garliced compound butter and then shove that up under the skin over the chicken breast, between the meat and the skin.

I then rub more of the compound butter on the outside of the chicken and use salt and pepper liberally on it.

I usually do the parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme seasoning in the butter.

• Options
    I tried risotto tonight!

It was not very creamy, not oozy at all. But it tasted great.

• Options
    I just realized we should have done easter/passover food this week:

Turkey/Ham/Deviled Eggs...or

https://youtu.be/TutmnWa6dVo

I like to ART
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    my fave way of preparing a roast chicken is to basically make a lot of a herbed and garliced compound butter and then shove that up under the skin over the chicken breast, between the meat and the skin.

I then rub more of the compound butter on the outside of the chicken and use salt and pepper liberally on it.

I usually do the parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme seasoning in the butter.

Do you do this before or after your visit to Scarborough Fair? :biggrin:

One of my favorite methods for roast chicken is the NYT Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic because you can never have too much garlic. It's not exactly roasting but I was planning to butterfly and smoke a chicken for dinner tonight. I'll try to remember to post pics and ingredients!

m!ttens on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I did a chermoula paste under the skin of my roast chicken yesterday and it was awesome. Didn't take pictures of the chicken itself but here is a photo of it sliced on top of radicchio and fennel salad with sweet potato and spicy cashew dressing (from Bon Appetit, I just omitted the hard-boiled egg):

8MFZAcdh.jpg

The recipe for the chermoula paste from Joy of Cooking - I had chermoula spices premixed from a spice shop so I just added the fresh herbs and lemon juice and olive oil:

YOKz9Hph.jpg?1

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My copy of Joy is from around 1940-something, and shockingly seems to be missing that recipe
    but while hunting I did find the proper name for custard apples so that's something.

• Options
    Yes, but your copy of Joy has given me the best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever.

seriously. Neighbours have almost breached quarantine down here when I mentioned I was making chocolate chip cookies.

• Options
    Great job, Ahava, LS!

And ah, Doodmann! Brisket would have been a great idea. I blame my lack of knowledge of both holidays and holiday foods. And this home isolating melting all weeks into one giant thing. But we should make up for it sometime in the future. :D

signature.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I feel bad, I totally meant to do Gumbo week and things got out of control and then I just sort of slid off. I will be joining cook club again next week for 100 sure

• Options
    I'm being a rebel this week and cooking a turkey instead of a chicken. It's basically the same thing, right?

I like to ART
  • Options
    In Chinese, turkey is "fire chicken" so totally, yes!

signature.png
  • Options
    We got a stonking big five pounder from a local farm

I made a paprika-cayenne-garlic and onion powder rub with a honey-lime glaze? I added the honey a bit too early and it burnt just a touch more than I'd like (though it was still at the level where that slight amount of char was tasty). Next time I'll add it when the chicken is closer to 120 internally, or lower the oven temp.

dgj2od5ru0kq.png
    q3zbk0avt4tv.png

signature.png
  • Options
    Hot damn that looks good.

• Options
    I made a goal to get the new week's recipe up by Sunday and I just scraped by. Phew! :D

signature.png
  • Options
    Oh hey. I just helped mom make some French onion soup the other night. Over Skype.

I'm not a fan of onions, but maybe I'll make a small batch for Ecco.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Oh look, I had promised to try to remember to post photos for my smoked chicken and I didn't. It was very delicious though and fed us for a couple of days. Rub was a mishmash of curry powder, garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika and plenty of salt and pepper. I smoked it in pecan for 2.5 hrs and then finished on the grill to crisp up the skin a bit.

One of our onions spoiled and ruined all the rest in the mesh bag so I'll need to remember to add a bunch more to our grocery pickup list scheduled for Tuesday.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    MUSTARD CHICKEN TURKEY

03zCOdvl.jpg

Process: https://imgur.com/a/gBc2QG2

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Mmmmm

I love, love, love baked mustard so much

That looks fantastic!

Also it occurs to me we can make pizza for a week. The time is ideal

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Oh, hey. I already made French onion soup, because I did not read ahead in the recipe list.
    dvitduokpe9n.png
    ofdomfks2fgb.png
    zjl2qed3m9ie.png

Anyway, here's my last bowl of it, along with a delicious turkey melt.

a1zr1txnbllm.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Alright I made a pot of stock, and I picked up the onions and cheese, and the sourdough is in the initial stages for a tomorrow bake. This better taste good! :P

signature.png
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, I was this close to grabbing taco fixin's at the grocery store, despite the fact that I haven't made tacos in years. Just had a craving. I only checked the recipe list just now to start planning for next week.

I think this thread has incepted me somehow.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Taco fixin's is a pretty short list, no? Garlic, cilantro, cumin, cotija, tortillas, meat of choice, and then everything else is just extra. I like a little rice and lime and black beans for mine, but I know some people put vegetables in their tacos? Like, a taco isn't a salad!

• Options
    I was actually thinking about the basic tacos of my youth, which are basically ground beef, chili powder, crunchy shell, shredded cheddar. But yours sound good too!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Man I could never imagine a taco without cumin.