As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Irish Gauge - Game 1 - Completed!

123457»

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Build CBSC I12 I13
    @discrider

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Place remaining white cube at Shannon.
    @Daemonis

• Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Pink to New Ross
    @38thDoe

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    dividend @JPants

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    @MrBlarney for end of game

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    End of Game Update, Turns 53-57

Turn 53 (38thDoe): Call for dividends; 2 Pink cubes and 1 Black cube are drawn.
    CBSC generates no payouts.
    WLW generates £14. (discrider £28 --> £40, Daemonis £28 --> £32)
    BCD generates £18. (38thDoe £25 --> £34, discrider £40 --> £49)
    GSW generates £24. (JPants £36 --> £48, Daemonis £32 --> £38, 38thDoe £34 --> £40)
    MGW generates £20. (Daemonis £38 --> £45, 38thDoe £40 --> £47, JPants £48 --> £55)
    Turn 54 (JPants): Place railway track for CBSC in I12 (New Ross) and I13 (Waterford).
    Turn 55 (discrider): Place special interest for White in Shannon.
    Turn 56 (Daemonis): Place special interest for Pink in New Ross.
    Turn 57 (38thDoe): Call for dividends; 1 Pink cube and 2 Black cubes are drawn.
    CBSC generates £8. (JPants £55 --> £59, Daemonis £45 --> £49)
    WLW generates £14. (discrider £49 --> £61, Daemonis £49 --> £53)
    BCD generates £18. (38thDoe £47 --> £56, discrider £61 --> £70)
    GSW generates £24. (JPants £59 --> £71, Daemonis £53 --> £59, 38thDoe £56 --> £62)
    MGW generates £20. (Daemonis £59 --> £66, 38thDoe £62 --> £68, JPants £71 --> £78)

Game Map
    IrishGauge_Game01_T57.gif

Player Status
    JPants: £78, Shares: CBSC £7, GSW £4, GSW £14, MGW £16
    discrider: £70, Shares: WLW £5, WLW £10, WLW £15, BCD £13
    Daemonis: £66, Shares: MGW £6, GSW £9, WLW £19, CSBC £12
    38thDoe: £68, Shares: BCD £8, MGW £11, GSW £18

Railway Status
    CBSC
    8 unplaced tracks
    Connections: Cork (White City), Limerick (White City), Shannon (White City), Kilkenny (White City), New Ross (Pink City), Waterford (Pink City)
    Available Shares: £17
    Owned Shares: JPants (£7), Daemonis (£12)

WLW
    5 unplaced tracks
    Connections: Limerick (White City), Kilkenny (White City), New Ross (Pink City), Waterford (Pink City), Shannon (White City), Arklow (Town), Wicklow (Black City)
    Owned Shares: discrider (£5, £10, £15), Daemonis (£19)

BCD
    0 unplaced tracks
    Connections: Belfast (Black City), Monaghan (Town), Galway (Pink City), Dublin (Black City), Drogheda (Town), Castlebar (Town)
    Owned Shares: 38thDoe (£8), discrider (£13)

GSW
    0 unplaced tracks
    Connections: Dublin (Black City), Drogheda (Town), Wicklow (Black City), Arklow (Town), Belfast (Black City), Galway (Pink City), Tullamore (Pink City)
    Owned Shares: JPants (£4, £14), Daemonis (£9), 38thDoe (£18)

MGW
    0 unplaced tracks
    Connections: Dublin (Black City), Tullamore (Pink City), Galway (Pink City), Shannon (White City), Limerick (White City), Kilkenny (White City), New Ross (Pink City), Waterford (Pink City)
    Owned Shares: Daemonis (£6), 38thDoe (£11), JPants (£16)

Dividend Cube Status
    In bag: Empty
    Drawn: 6 White, 6 Pink, 6 Black
    Cities: 4 White (Cork, Kilkenny, Limerick, Shannon), 4 Pink (Galway, Waterford, Tullamore, New Ross), 4 Black (Belfast, Derry, Dublin, Wicklow)

The Dividend cube bag has been emptied, signaling the end of the game. Players' cash on hand is added to the face value of their held shares to determine the final scores:

JPants: £78 + £7 + £4 + £14 + £16 = 119
    discrider: £70 + £5 + £10 + £15 + £13 = 113
    Daemonis: £66 + £6 + £9 + £19 + £12 = 112
    38thDoe: £68 + £8 + £11 + £18 = 105

JPants has the largest total, and is declared the winner of the game!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Thanks to everyone for playing and experiencing this tricky cube rails game. The game has got a lot of trickiness with timing your moves and taking gambles for its fairly simple mechanics. It might appear that JPants sealed the deal with his cheap MGW £16 share purchase on Turn 50, which was enabled by 38thDoe choosing to expand rail line instead of calling for dividends in the immediate turn prior. But there were other instances earlier in the game that led up to that point that could have branched the game out to many other outcomes.

I'm not sure how well the game holds up to lots of repeated plays, but there definitely feels like a few playthroughs worth of learning and meta building. Even then, it's got a fairly short length that helps make it easy to bring out.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I was brought unstuck by drawing all the white cubes too I think :(
    Was planning to nab the white, and then just dividend lots, but then multiple whites came out twice in a row, which ruined that.

discrider on
  • Options
    Good game all, thanks for hosting MrB

• Options
    Good game all and thanks to MrB for running! I mentally had disc in the lead for most of the game. The dividend draws seem like they play a bigger role than most of the route building, but I could be wrong.

• Options
    JPants wrote: »
    Good game all and thanks to MrB for running! I mentally had disc in the lead for most of the game. The dividend draws seem like they play a bigger role than most of the route building, but I could be wrong.

I came out of the first auction feeling pretty good, but I was forced to defend WLW too much.

Auctions are really interesting, because they are the only way to force the auction winner to lose points.
    Which was why I think @38thDoe auctioning CBSC would have been a good move.
    If you don't intend to win the auction, you can force the vote winner to lose money, and you also don't lose anything yourself for losing the auction; that railway is still paying the same amount out to your competitors, it's only the distribution that changes.

• Options
    Also sad to sink white at the end, but both JPants and Daemonis were going to earn more from White, so best to gum up the tracks with another White.

• Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Thanks for the game everyone! Congrats to JPants!

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Thanks for running this, @MrBlarney - it was an interesting one to follow.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

I came out of the first auction feeling pretty good, but I was forced to defend WLW too much.

Auctions are really interesting, because they are the only way to force the auction winner to lose points.

If you don't intend to win the auction, you can force the vote winner to lose money, and you also don't lose anything yourself for losing the auction; that railway is still paying the same amount out to your competitors, it's only the distribution that changes.

Def agree with the bold, though i'm not sure how much difference me splitting CBSC would have made at the end. Especially with you tanking White.

Also, if you already have a color represented on your railway isn't it a net negative to place a special interest of that color down? Other than to correct an imbalance in the draw pool?

• Options
    Not necessarily.
    Cities payout more on average than towns if the colours of the dividend cubes are more or less even.
    So building an overrepresented dividend cube on your railway should be a good move.

Also I tried to put the blue railway into only-black, while picking up black for WLW, in the hopes of eventually eliminating that colour whilst maintaining white.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

Def agree with the bold, though i'm not sure how much difference me splitting CBSC would have made at the end. Especially with you tanking White.

The idea is it forces you to spend money to defend your holding, which looked better on paper before I tanked white.
    You and Daemonis would have had to decide how much losing 1/3 the income would cost you, whilst 38th had no skin in the game and can try to win the share, push the price up and then fold, or just sit back and eat popcorn while the bidding rages

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    38thdoe is bad at this game.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I sort of feel like there are dominant strategies for each railroad.
    Like WLW had access to the most cities immediately, so rushing dividends should always work regardless of city allocation

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    38thdoe is bad at this game.

This game does feel pretty opaque to be honest.
    Not as opaque as that currency trading game, but still hard to see what the correct move is.

• Options
    I forgot to say, @MrBlarney Thank you for running this!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀