As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Scenario 18 second attempt. Failed with three 1hp oozes left.

Ngghhhhh

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I decided it was time to start painting some minis, plus I was really into the new one I got. Miniature for cthulhu-face icon spoiler.

What is this I don't even.
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Zoomhaven went pretty well for us today. We replayed the mission we lost last time, now that our fourth was back. Mission started out very well, many of the enemies were drawing actions that didn't do anything, so we got to mop up the first few rooms easily. We all took our time and assembled before the last door and rested up, and I had a plan to go blazing deep into the room and go invisible, letting the enemies move past me and allowing me to address the objective. But unfortunately, with four players, the enemies blocked up the whole dang room, wasting my huge move :( Things were looking bad with tons of enemies and more coming every round, but somehow we fought through, helped by two consecutive rounds of the enemies not attacking, and I was able to use my invisibility cloak to secure the win just as my allies were defeated.

Finished the last of my check marks, and leveled up to 7. Added four rolling +1s to my deck, it's so ridiculous. I don't know what I'm going to do when I have to retire this character and play one with a fair modifier deck, lol.

Got enough prosperity from the win to unlock new shop items (level 4 now, I think), including
    A new kind of shield. I might dual wield that and the other type of shield I already have, lol

Fry on
    Two of the three of us are playing curse heavy characters and the enemy is almost always disadvantaged. It just feels like cheating.

I want badly to stick curse on my multi target attacks, but none of them have upgrade dots in the right spots to allow that :(

This last mission, we were fighting an enemy type that cursed itself, which was beautiful a few turns later when we were in a tough spot and those curses came up

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I don't understand why they don't just translate Gloomhaven the boardgame verbatim. I'd play the shit out of that.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I don't understand why they don't just translate Gloomhaven the boardgame verbatim. I'd play the shit out of that.

Isn't there a video game version on steam? Is that not a 1:1 copy?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

Isn't there a video game version on steam? Is that not a 1:1 copy?

Reviews indicate that it's not--scenarios are more random and don't follow the boardgame.

Yeah, the Gloomhaven steam game is a buggy mess which is just random scenarios.

• Buy the ticketBuy the ticket Registered User regular
    The steam version is in early access and the eventual goal is to have a pretty much 1:1 version to the physical game, as well as the 'adventure mode' which is what is playable now - basically a randomly generated roguelite. I haven't really come across any bugs, but I haven't played it much; I bought it when it first came out and every time they release an update I do a few scenarios to see what's new. They've finished all of the six starting characters and added Triforce already. I always assumed it was going to be a long process and so I'm happy with what I got but yeah it is certainly a work in progress.

I also own the physical version and would guess I'm about halfway through that for reference. I think it's decent - As it stands, I'd probably choose to play the steam version rather than the physical for a one off solo game due to not having to set it up etc. If I had a few hours and planned to play a couple of scenarios (which haha two kids means never) I'd probably take the time to play the real thing. Also the steam version is currently single player but they have said it will definitely be multiplayer eventually.

edited March 2020
    Scenario report: Lost Island (reminder, I'm a Scoundrel)
    LOL. Since we're playing remotely, before the session I googled the scenario so I could read the description. First page of google results is a bunch of people talking about farming this mission, and I can see why. Holey schnikeys there is a lot of money.

It was pretty easy, several of the enemies chose actions that didn't do anything, and we just mowed through them. I actually had time to use the top half of Crippling Poison, so I did - who invented this lost card that doesn't grant any XP for using it? Boo-urns. For several rooms we set up a combo where one character would kick in the door early and poison several enemies, and then I'd follow them in with Flurry of Blades (plus Crippling Poison) to murder several opponents.

In the first treasure room, one of our players was excited that he would be able to take a couple treasures, then another player gloated that he was going to Loot 2 the room. That guy almost had a bit of a meltdown when I outsped him with a top-action move and a Loot 1 to scoop up 6 treasure tokens, including everything he was going to get. He calmed down, and eventually in the next room was able to deploy his Loot 2 to get 6 treasure tokens.

"Saw":
    Do No Harm continues to be completely nuts. Deleting a 20 HP elite with no roll is completely worth the constraints on your next turn.

Also, he picked up Finding the Cure (I think was the name), which he stuck on our Brute on the first turn. +1 shield all scenario and complete immunity to conditions, wtf? That is goofy.

Fry on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Might want to edit the name of Saw's class, @Fry .

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Oops, ha ha. Easy mistake

Social isolation has completely derailed my Gloomhaven group. :(

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Social isolation has completely derailed my Gloomhaven group. :(

It's possible to play over web conference, that's how we did our last two plays. Just have to arrange a drop-off for characters, and put the main box in the hands of someone who is willing to do all the moving around of pieces.

And find a chunk of time where spouses and kids will leave you alone, but that's always a challenge

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Tabletop Simulator has a pretty good scripted version of Gloomhaven. Its not perfect, but its 80% scripted with bugs that can be worked around. (Most common is having to restart a turn cause the script misses something)

Considering we've all bought the physical product and the Steam game is nowhere near where it needs to be, that feels like a good compromise for a month or two.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    Gonna try to zoom a game. I need a deck for the musical note to give someone who can't get it physically but I'm afraid of spoilers if I search. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Frosthaven live on KS...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Gonna try to zoom a game. I need a deck for the musical note to give someone who can't get it physically but I'm afraid of spoilers if I search. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

This imgur gallery has all of the class cards for Music Notes, but it also has a ton of card analysis and build advice in it. It also has a prominent spoiler for one shop item.
    https://imgur.com/a/hOZNkMQ

I haven't found a proper Gloomhaven card lookup site yet. :/

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Do they have Tabletop Simulator? If so, they can load up the Gloomhaven mod for it and review it there.

edited March 2020
    They do not. None of us do. That imgur page works I guess.

Darkewolfe on
  • taoofshinseitaoofshinsei Registered User regular

This Google drive link was posted by the designer, and has the full list of all the ability cards for all of the classes. The locked classes are in a subdirectory, all classes have their own file (so no worries about accidentally seeing another class' cards), and the different classes are listed by a two letter acronym, so you can't even spoil names of locked classes.

Thanks, that's perfect.

Also, how many dollars did I just spend on the frosthaven KS? So many dollars.

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Hmm my friend bought the Gloomhaven we're currently playing and it's great, but the game is based in the US right? If I back this I'm gonna have to factor in extra taxes on top or do they have an EU distributor?

b15fbc8b0d5ad92b6f2b34ec104f1d88_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1585771903&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=08aed7952f8f7e72fe86b135ada9c1f8

and

52edf73e3bda44c741b744727c992387_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1585711371&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=aaef08563e7a0f8a3371fc3e0c2ebe15

This Google drive link was posted by the designer, and has the full list of all the ability cards for all of the classes. The locked classes are in a subdirectory, all classes have their own file (so no worries about accidentally seeing another class' cards), and the different classes are listed by a two letter acronym, so you can't even spoil names of locked classes.

Looking through the cards for "Saw", I notice something that's pretty significantly different from the physical cards I have seen. I wonder if these PDFs are from first edition?

Saw discrepancy:
    The medpacks here say they can't be used for basic actions, but I'm pretty sure the physical cards don't have that restriction.

• taoofshinseitaoofshinsei Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

Looking through the cards for "Saw", I notice something that's pretty significantly different from the physical cards I have seen. I wonder if these PDFs are from first edition?

Saw discrepancy:
    The medpacks here say they can't be used for basic actions, but I'm pretty sure the physical cards don't have that restriction.

Oh right, it's been so long I had forgotten there was a second printing with changes. You are correct that the cards in the link are first edition. This BGG thread has the list of changes that were made in second edition. @Darkewolfe looks like there aren't any changes to Music Notes, but if anyone else is using the cards in that google drive it would be good for them to be aware of the updates. I'm not sure if there's an official updated version of the cards to look up.

Thanks for pointing that out @Fry!

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Saw discrepancy:

I think you are right. I just checked and the cards are different, and we definitely have the second edition.

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    b15fbc8b0d5ad92b6f2b34ec104f1d88_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1585771903&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=08aed7952f8f7e72fe86b135ada9c1f8

and

52edf73e3bda44c741b744727c992387_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1585711371&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=aaef08563e7a0f8a3371fc3e0c2ebe15

Oh right, duh doi.

This Gloomhaven Item Database is pretty cool. Has good spoiler settings, which you can share with your party.
    https://heisch.github.io/gloomhaven-item-db/

This Gloomhaven Item Database is pretty cool. Has good spoiler settings, which you can share with your party.
    https://heisch.github.io/gloomhaven-item-db/

This solved one of the things I hadn't found a good solution to yet, so thanks!

We had a pretty good game! I used a bunch of webcams to give multiple views of the board and it was pretty workable! Everyone printed their character decks ahead of time at home.

Has anyone used gloomhaven helper or anything like that?

GH is great, although I'm not sure of it's functionality when used remotely? That is to say: we never tried syncing up copies or anything (we just used my phone). Would probably be great for this if it works.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, we use it all the time.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

GH is great, although I'm not sure of it's functionality when used remotely? That is to say: we never tried syncing up copies or anything (we just used my phone). Would probably be great for this if it works.

We do local sync ups when we play and it helps tremendously. We started using it to make monsters simpler, and then fell in love with everyone having a simple way to input initiative. It communicates who is waffling a bit more than would be ideal for smooth play in a non-confrontational way.

I made a colossal blunder in tonight's game. I chose to lose my reusable "kill a normal enemy" card on my first rest, since it's usually not that good. Cue a parade of nasty normal enemies that were boosted by scenario rules :(

We still managed to win, though, and with that my Scoundrel is now level 8. Our Brute finished his personal quest, and will be switching to Sun, so I'm the only one left still playing a starter character. No end in sight for me. Our Triforce is probably going to be on that character for a while, his PQ involves being exhausted a large number of times. I told him he needs to start throwing himself into the fray in the last room of each scenario so he can soak hits :P

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    What's the deal with x-envelope?
    We unlocked it and decoded it. But how do we get more clues? If we need all remaining 9 letters, that's a lot. And what do we do with the name? The note talks about a web to speak the name into, but not where it is.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Incidentally, we played over Skype yesterday (scenario 20). All cards and stuff was with me. Worked well. Certainly a lot better than not playing :)

edited April 2020
    We unlocked it and decoded it. But how do we get more clues? If we need all remaining 9 letters, that's a lot. And what do we do with the name? The note talks about a web to speak the name into, but not where it is.

I don't think that's the X envelope?
    IIRC the X envelope wasn't decodable. It uses a different rune system than everything else.
    Except the end of the Town Records.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I don't think that's the X envelope?
    IIRC the X envelope wasn't decodable. It uses a different rune system than everything else.
    Except the end of the Town Records.

It's certainly the way I described it (at least in 2nd ed). I have it right in front of me.