As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Hydrophenamate Valoranticene

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Hydrophenamate Valoranticene

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Breaking Bad CRC.

EDIT- Nonono... Gamestore Cowboys.

OctoberRaven on
    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Valorant: It's for your wang.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Someone in Tycho's house was having juice

• Options
    LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    Fleshreaper is a good name for a brand of XxX strong coffee

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    FF lives! Now, I wonder what Div’s been up to...

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I guess I'm weird I watched gameplay of Valorant and eh? I dunno maybe playing it is more fun that watching but so far it reminded me of Paladins in like a bad way.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Did Gabe's skills fade over time?
    385867989_QUxyY-L-2.jpg

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WobblefootWobblefoot Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I guess I'm weird I watched gameplay of Valorant and eh? I dunno maybe playing it is more fun that watching but so far it reminded me of Paladins in like a bad way.

It's more like CSGO with super powers, or whatever, but yeah - it's kinda rough looking.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

It looks rough, yeah. But its expanding a subgenre that no one has touched and its a really smart move. CS is hugely popular and its weird this is the first attempt to make version with Champions and abilities and stuff. Especially considering champions/abilities have invaded nearly every other FPS type.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

It looks rough, yeah. But its expanding a subgenre that no one has touched and its a really smart move. CS is hugely popular and its weird this is the first attempt to make version with Champions and abilities and stuff. Especially considering champions/abilities have invaded nearly every other FPS type.

I dunno if that really adds anything though. Like to me it feels like "we're making overwatch more like CS, but with an uglier aesthetic." I mean I guess it worked for Fortnite versus pubg, so this will probably be a mega success, but this isn't it for me chief.

Also PC only

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Honestly, I rather like how it looks. Especially the fire wall animation. The maps are... fine? They’re not crazy detailed, but that’s okay when you’re in alpha/beta still. You don’t want to spend a ton of time detailing a map and have to throw it all out if you have to make a balance change to the geometry.

One of the things they’ve been talking about is that performance and being able to run on older computers is one of their big concerns and focuses. And current games... are very bad at that. Especially Overwatch, with the billion little details and physics objects.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You don’t want to spend a ton of time detailing a map and have to throw it all out if you have to make a balance change to the geometry.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: cubes are OP.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

I dunno if that really adds anything though. Like to me it feels like "we're making overwatch more like CS, but with an uglier aesthetic." I mean I guess it worked for Fortnite versus pubg, so this will probably be a mega success, but this isn't it for me chief.

Also PC only

Its 1000% what if Overwatch but CS? Which is what I was saying. No one else has made a CS clone, to the best of my knowledge. Which is crazy considering how popular it is.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    You don’t want to spend a ton of time detailing a map and have to throw it all out if you have to make a balance change to the geometry.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: cubes are OP.

Not to mention the fact they've never fixed the balance issues between -gon and -hedron. It's like a polyhedron has an entirely extra dimension that the polygon does not. How is that fair?? ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Honestly, I rather like how it looks. Especially the fire wall animation. The maps are... fine? They’re not crazy detailed, but that’s okay when you’re in alpha/beta still. You don’t want to spend a ton of time detailing a map and have to throw it all out if you have to make a balance change to the geometry.

One of the things they’ve been talking about is that performance and being able to run on older computers is one of their big concerns and focuses. And current games... are very bad at that. Especially Overwatch, with the billion little details and physics objects.

I totally get the sentiment in your last paragraph. Making your game available to the biggest install base is definitely important. Especially if your goal is to make LoL $$$ with your new game. And games are a business just like any other.

But, at the same time a part of me dislikes the idea of catering to lower end machines and older rigs. The way to drive technology forward is to force people to upgrade. Want to play that shiny new game with amazing graphics and superb gameplay? It's time to upgrade. I say that as someone who is playing on an 8 year old computer myself and is in desperate need of an upgrade.

It's a fine line to balance for sure. And there's definitely not a "right answer." But I also feel like a game released in 2020 should not necessarily be catering to PCs that were built in 2012 or older.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Most blizzard games, OverWatch included will run on older hardware with the settings dialed down. One of the OverWatch league pros played on a rustbox that required minimum settings to run. He still turned everything down on the league's monster PCs because that was what he was used to.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/tbVQ9S_UlW4?t=123

Hero/MOBA shooter style stuff have being a struggling sub genre for ages with stuff like Monday Night Combat and so on. Shadowrun in particular is the most obvious comparison to Valorant.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    3hotvkldz9py.jpg
    l73trmpow5sx.png
    On a quick google search of the name, before I read the thread or looked at anything else, my reaction to the promotional art was "it looks like Overwatch, but less superhero and more edgy".

The guy with the LED-lined jacket looks cool though, I will say. Looks like a Shadowrun character. 'Totally-not-a-Borderlands-Siren' with Mercy's hair is alright too.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    It's very street level super hero.

Honestly a bunch of people keep complaining about the graphics but I adore how clean they are and how they intentionally make sure there's no visual clutter on any part of the map where you're going to be shooting.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    It's very street level super hero.

Honestly a bunch of people keep complaining about the graphics but I adore how clean they are and how they intentionally make sure there's no visual clutter on any part of the map where you're going to be shooting.

I personally think kind of cartoony is a better look than hyper realism. Like fortnite is infinitely easier to look at than cod:warzone.
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    "it looks like Overwatch, but less superhero and more edgy".

It's a counterstrike game, of course it's edgy...

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It's more operator than edgy.