As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Is there a way to block/mute people in MP? First match had the standard-issue asshole yelling racial slurs.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I don't think there is. I've seen one of those assholes in about every other MP match I've played.

The seem more common in siege.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Holy crap

https://bannerlord.party/banner/

Apparently you can paste into the banner editor like you can with the character editor.

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    That editor is great. Check out r/BannerlordBanners!

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Bought this because it looks fun and I know the first one had a really good Game Of Thrones mod so im hoping this will too.

So far ive spent like 17 hours in 2 days learning the ropes.

By which i mean playing a slightly unsuccessful travelling salesman. Obviously I got buy low/sell high, and things selling differently in different regions (my biggest money was buying aeserai and desert horses then selling them up north)
    But most of my profit was eaten up paying all my guards so while I wasn't poor, I wasn't rich either (had a retinue 80 strong of pretty good Imperial infantry and finally started finding some cavalry guys)

Eventually I joined the Southern Kingdom and followed their emperor to war with the Battarians? - the celtic people. had a 700-400 battle that went in our favour and then sieged a city (my guy wasnt given command of anyone in this siege so I hung at the back and plinked a couple guys off the walls) then destroyed 3 small enemy bands.

Selling all the loot and captives gave me so much money I was able to go buy a caravan and 2 workshops. which elminates any money woes.

Now the only thing left is working out how to have enough guys under my control to take over a place, or get the rest of the empire to back me up while I siege somewhere

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    The anti-snowball measures seem* to be working to prevent catastrophic territory loss, but the respawned Imperial lords are running around with armies that consist of, at best, 30 archers, 60 tier 1-2 infantry, and three cavalry.

Which couldn't defend itself against a caravan, but seems to check enough boxes to keep enemy lords at bay.

*I say they SEEM to be working because of all the wars, the only major loss of territory, by day ~110, has taken place on the front I'm actively supporting, and I have been gobbling up those phony armies like Pac-Man.

Incidentally: killing those armies has been absurdly profitable. My army costs over 500/day and I have over 100k denars. There's something amusingly grim about being able to sell an unlimited volume of standard issue Imperial infantry equipment, because the only possible explanation is that the Empire just buys it all back to equip the next wave of recruits.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Bought this because it looks fun and I know the first one had a really good Game Of Thrones mod so im hoping this will too.

By which i mean playing a slightly unsuccessful travelling salesman. Obviously I got buy low/sell high, and things selling differently in different regions (my biggest money was buying aeserai and desert horses then selling them up north)
    But most of my profit was eaten up paying all my guards so while I wasn't poor, I wasn't rich either (had a retinue 80 strong of pretty good Imperial infantry and finally started finding some cavalry guys)

Eventually I joined the Southern Kingdom and followed their emperor to war with the Battarians? - the celtic people. had a 700-400 battle that went in our favour and then sieged a city (my guy wasnt given command of anyone in this siege so I hung at the back and plinked a couple guys off the walls) then destroyed 3 small enemy bands.

Selling all the loot and captives gave me so much money I was able to go buy a caravan and 2 workshops. which elminates any money woes.

Now the only thing left is working out how to have enough guys under my control to take over a place, or get the rest of the empire to back me up while I siege somewhere

I think i see your problem, There's a huge effectiveness difference between infantry and archers.
    As long as you do the battles, it's possible to keep enemies from even reaching your troops while they shoot arrows until everything is dead.
    Personally, i think i'd prefer 30 archers to 80 infantry any day, it's more effective in killing enemies, and keeps the payroll lower.
    Or go cavalry (like, 30 heavy cavalry steamrolls any mountain/sea bandit troop of equal size).
    I'm running around with 60 soldiers (5 of which are companions (on horses), 15 or so infantry, rest cavalry or horse archers), and i really should just fire all my infantry i can't upgrade to cavalry later, they never do anything.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So I picked this up and... is the melee combat system actually trash or is there some secret to git gud? Because just on the face of it making directional attacks and blocks that either fuck up your camera or your movement because they are bound to the same control input seems obviously stupid.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »

If you are trying to trade, 15-20 Tier 2 units are more than enough. That enough that bandits will leave you in peace.
    Make those Tier 2 Units Khergit Horse archers and you are absurdedly fast on top of that.
    The only reason to get more than that as a trader is if your want to be able to keep more horses without gettinge the herd penalty.

causality.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Another day, another patch:
    Multiplayer Crashes
    Multiplayer blood particle crash fix.

Singleplayer Crashes
    Fixed a crash that occurred while loading a scene.
    Fixed a crash related to player executions.
    Stability Improvements to the menu logic.
    A rare “Army of Poachers” quest crash bug has been fixed.
    A very rare crash related to “Gang Leader Needs Weapon” quest is fixed.
    The game now gives clearer warnings in the event of a crash caused by missing Windows 7 updates.
    Players who have issues launching the game can now use Bannerlord.Native.exe as an alternative solution.

Performance
    Fixed one of the performance spike issues on the campaign.

Character Development System
    Fixed “Leadership Disciplinarian”, “Trade Caravanmaster” and “Charm Parade” perks.
    Added combat skill experience gain for tournaments and practice fights.
    Added charm skill experience for successful barters.
    Increased experience gain from successful romance and defection persuasions.

Quests & Issues
    Fixed a bug that locked the main storyline phase to weaken or unify the empire when the success conditions were met before the player got the quest.

Other
    “Bushwackers” now use a mix of short and long bows (previously 100% longbows).
    Lowered the tier of longbows for "Freebooters".
    Reduced the accuracy of stones.
    Decreased the damages of crossbows.
    Fixed the length of the "Fine Steel Kaskara Blade".
    Slightly reduced the speed of tournament horses (to make them more manoeuvrable).
    Fixed the holster of the "Falx Blade".
    The "Voulge" is no longer couchable.
    Renamed the "Western Short Spear" to "Western Long Spear".
    Changed the name of a Tier 2 spear that was named “Knight’s Lance” to “Western Short Spear”.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    OK is there some faster way to get better at skills that I'm missing? The rate at which I shoot people in the face to my archery going up seems wrong.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So I picked this up and... is the melee combat system actually trash or is there some secret to git gud? Because just on the face of it making directional attacks and blocks that either fuck up your camera or your movement because they are bound to the same control input seems obviously stupid.

The main tip is that the combat is heavily physics based. A faster relative velocity for your weapon's point of impact to your target means you do more damage. On a mount, this translates into going more quickly for more damage. On foot, this means you ideally step in the same direction of your attack and rotate your mouse so your character rotates into the attack for more speed. It's not a huge movement mind you as you don't want to leave yourself exposed to an attack but it can make the difference between a finishing blow and needing another.

I use the relative position of my mouse to the enemy to determine my attack far more than the movement input. This both makes it easier to rotate into the attack since my mouse is already in position to do so and frees up my movement. You only need to have the mouse slightly aligned with the needed side of an enemy to ready an attack so you still can keep them pretty centered.

For blocking, just use a shield. Direction matters much less with one and it actually protects against deadly ranged attacks. You'll still ideally start blocking just a bit before the enemy attack connects to cause a larger recoil window for your counterattack but it's not strictly necessary.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OK is there some faster way to get better at skills that I'm missing? The rate at which I shoot people in the face to my archery going up seems wrong.

For ranged attacks, land more difficult shots. A head shot at close range on foot isn't worth as much as a long range shot on horseback at speed. Otherwise make sure you're sinking enough points into Archery's skill focus and the Control stat to keep your learning rate up. Skillups take longer the close you are to your skill cap.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    It's good forest bandits have been nerfed a bit.

For those having trouble with them I tried finding tactics for dealing with them today. I sucessfully raided small (20-40) wood bandid lairs with nothing but basic horse archers today by grabbing a shield and standing in front of them. At the end of the biggest one my shield was so thick with arrows sticking from it was basically a giant block of wood. Only a single arrow managed to hit me in the legs instead of the shield.
    Also works great against free roaming forest bandids.

I mostly try to capture them to recruit them. Might try using a group of crossbowmen for that, as I heard they deal blunt damage making captures easy.

causality.png
    edited April 2020
    Decreased the damages of crossbows.
    Right, any change you could lower the price while at it?

edit-
    They actually did.
    20k now.
    Still kinda nuts, but better than 40k.

Nyysjan on

For ranged attacks, land more difficult shots. A head shot at close range on foot isn't worth as much as a long range shot on horseback at speed. Otherwise make sure you're sinking enough points into Archery's skill focus and the Control stat to keep your learning rate up. Skillups take longer the close you are to your skill cap.

Also, skill gains are just really slow to level up in general at the moment. There are mods to speed it up, but it should be tweaked as time goes on. Even this most recent patch increased a few skill gains.

• Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Got a wierd bug. Some Lord asked me to train that guy with him for 200 days. After 100ish days the quest is gone but I still have him as a companion (Hes a good lancer so not complaining). I'm a bit miffed though as he already had 40/60 training points the quest was asking for.

Drunken Bastard on
    Got a wierd bug. Some Lord asked me to train that guy with him for 200 days. After 100ish days the quest is gone but I still have him as a companion (Hes a good lancer so not complaining). I'm a bit miffed though as he already had 40/60 training points the quest was asking for.

Did anything happen to the quest giver? That's always been a danger of quests from nobles in the series though I seem to recall at last one occasion in Warband where I broke a lord out of imprisonment to either turn in a quest or progress a quest.

Steam Profile

Did anything happen to the quest giver? That's always been a danger of quests from nobles in the series though I seem to recall at last one occasion in Warband where I broke a lord out of imprisonment to either turn in a quest or progress a quest.

I had an issue a couple of times with the talk to nobles quest where once I finally tracked them down, it was to find out they were in prison. Going into the prison I could talk to them, but they'd only say "I'm not supposed to talk to you". I couldn't find anything else to do (though I didn't look particularly hard) and just had to wait on them to escape or be ransomed.

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular

This mental image tickles my Funny Bone. "Excuse me sir, could you please pay me? Oh don't mind the Burly men who broke you out of jail."

steam_sig.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Also, skill gains are just really slow to level up in general at the moment. There are mods to speed it up, but it should be tweaked as time goes on. Even this most recent patch increased a few skill gains.

Notably this patch enabled skill gains in tournaments and arena practice

which is a huge deal for the early game (and a thing a lot of mods messed with so those are probably all broken and need an update)

fuck gendered marketing
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Fittingly enough, the tournament/arena XP mod was the one I wasn't running because I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Score!

stopgap wrote: »

This mental image tickles my Funny Bone. "Excuse me sir, could you please pay me? Oh don't mind the Burly men who broke you out of jail."

Jailbreaks didn't let you take along any men so it was a largely solo affair but it still let to a lot of weird situations as I'd often be breaking people out of jail even as an independent wanderer to build up relationships.

"Many thanks for freeing me . . .er, do I know you?"
    "No, but I'll be forming my own kingdom some day and have a number of aristocracy opportunities available and wanted to add you on Linkdin . . ."

Steam Profile
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Holy crap

Apparently you can paste into the banner editor like you can with the character editor.

Wait wait

you can paste into the character editor? What with? Like you can copy and paste a particular look?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Holy crap

Wait wait

you can paste into the character editor? What with? Like you can copy and paste a particular look?

Yeah, basically if you ctrl+C whilst in the character editor, it will copy the xml code for the current look, which you can then paste in a file or whatever. You can also ctrl+V with code in your clipboard to change to the copied look, so people can share looks or you can save one you like to re-use later.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I wish I'd known that before, I rather like one of my characters

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I wish I'd known that before, I rather like one of my characters
    You can do it at any time, just press v on the map screen.

>.>

<.<

I should probably grab that in case the 1.1 update does drop and does break saves.

Elldren wrote: »

Notably this patch enabled skill gains in tournaments and arena practice

which is a huge deal for the early game (and a thing a lot of mods messed with so those are probably all broken and need an update)

You can also gain charm skill through barter.
    Just walk up to every noble you find and give them a horse for free (except for the price of a horse) skill xp.
    Does not directly help archery, but helps gaining levels which give focus points that you can put into archery.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Renown seems to be in short supply. 350 for the quest seems a bit grind-y. Seeing as I can get 3 per tournament or like 1.5-4 if I can manage to find a big enough supply of bandits to massacre. It doesn't seem like hideouts give me anything, which also seems weird.

I suppose the game expects me to be having giant pitched battles at this point.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Renown seems to be in short supply. 350 for the quest seems a bit grind-y. Seeing as I can get 3 per tournament or like 1.5-4 if I can manage to find a big enough supply of bandits to massacre. It doesn't seem like hideouts give me anything, which also seems weird.

I suppose the game expects me to be having giant pitched battles at this point.

I started a small war on the southwesternmost part of the map. You can really rack up the renown if you make someone mad and crush them when outnumbered. Just siege a castle, wait for some parties to show up and smash them. Repeat as needed. Eventually they'll bring a lot of people, but then you just wait for the heat to die down and go at it again.

edited April 2020
    I started a new game yesterday and gained a lot of Renown by keeping my army very small and autoresolving against lots of larger groups of looters. If your troops are even just Tier 2 they can generally kill twice their number of looters. If the looters win against your troops there are generally just 1-3 left which you can easily solo yourself. Also makes you level up tactics and medicine faster.

Theoretically as a mounted archer you can run around solo against looters, but I have found that far too time intensive. Killing 30+ looters solo can give up to 10 Renwon, but takes a while and isn't the kind of combat I consider fun.

But once I was renown rank 3 I made the mistake of getting a large army. Which sucks because I have nowhere to stash them and makes getting renown a lot slower. I don't want to disband them because I spent so much time levelling them. I had the idea of giving them to one of my companions' armies for a while, but their maximum nuber of troops is far too small.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Started a different game and man I forgot how much having a high starting Athletics helps. I can actually maneuver in combat now!

Potentially found a major bug though. Saved several times and it only saved the 5th one. Perhaps coincidentally, my other save with the same banner ended at save #4..

I'm rather pleased with this one for now. Might take some time over the weekend to make something super elaborate, but I like it
    oGh0MTS.png

Someone posted on Reddit that they were playing, got captured, got executed, and then took over playing as their wife, so it appears you always play as the head of your clan. I wasn't sure if that was a thing/in the game, but apparently it is.

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I started a second game know I have a slightly better grasp on what im doing.
    Rounded up some dudes and went bandit hunting,
    Built up a pretty well trained force by the time I hit renown level 2 and hunted down the Empress of the South Kingdom so I could join her service just in time for the Empire to have its second was with the Aserai (Empire had conquered 2 of its cities already)
    I had 80 men: 25 Palatine guard, 10 elite pikemen, 14 legionaries, 8 cavalry and the rest trained archers in the process of levelling up.
    We ran up against the Aserai army and we crushed them, archers killed a bunch and then a nicely timed cav charge in the flank broke them.

My plan to go quality over quantity has paid off because after a major battle and 2 successful sieges i only lost about 9 men, but the rest of the army lost about 100 guys and eventually disbanded and split up having pretty much won the war.. So headed back to the Empire to sell stuff and recruit new troops and headed back to defend the border. And for the last hour settled into the role of noble catcher. targeting the 40-60 man groups of Aserai and curb stomping them for massive profit, (because lightly armoured desert guys are chumps to archers).

I really like this game

GaryO on
    Don't know if this was already mentioned, but you can ctrl C copy on the smithing screen as well, but I haven't been able to ctrl v to just copy the weapon, but if you copy it over to a document it'll give you the slider info and weapon parts so you can do it manually, but it uses the part names in the files and not from the game (so like aserai6 for the blade and not the actual name)

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, this banner thing seems like a lot of fun to play with. :D

7h2j6xn3sn0o.png
    21.12.35.1536.1536.764.764.1.0.0.318.116.116.942.756.771.764.1.1.-180.436.13.12.150.150.760.485.1.1.0.328.13.149.500.500.768.764.1.1.0.439.12.35.45.130.679.833.1.1.-90.439.12.35.45.130.773.833.1.1.-90.439.12.35.45.130.866.833.1.1.-90.505.116.116.61.93.938.816.1.1.0.423.116.139.582.704.764.781.1.1.0

wx0qjzqboeyl.png
    3.142.116.1536.1536.764.764.1.0.0.316.143.116.777.713.764.764.1.1.0.505.116.116.260.260.636.630.1.1.0.505.116.116.260.132.894.825.1.1.0.506.116.116.408.339.900.858.1.1.0.506.116.116.298.283.898.904.1.1.0.506.116.116.298.283.882.920.1.1.0.506.116.116.298.283.854.936.1.1.0.506.116.116.170.283.830.950.1.1.0.505.116.116.60.240.794.970.1.1.0.505.143.116.260.260.894.630.1.1.0.337.143.116.252.247.629.619.1.1.0.505.116.116.67.32.632.517.1.1.0.505.116.116.95.47.628.714.1.1.0.505.116.116.43.175.628.632.1.1.0.503.13.116.9.196.616.635.1.1.1.503.13.116.13.196.638.635.1.1.-1.510.13.116.50.72.659.529.1.1.-94.510.13.116.50.72.639.529.1.1.-92.510.13.116.50.72.615.529.1.1.-86.510.13.116.50.72.595.529.1.1.-86.510.116.116.60.100.639.569.1.1.0.510.13.116.50.72.639.566.1.1.0.301.13.116.250.250.889.908.1.1.135.301.13.116.250.250.889.908.1.1.-135

This is what I made after a couple of minutes of effort:
    rqp6fmetxjyb.png
    11.116.116.1457.1162.764.764.1.0.0.503.116.116.1.1.764.764.0.1.0.500.48.116.550.550.764.744.0.1.0.517.48.116.500.500.764.764.0.1.180

New Patch:
    Multiplayer Crashes
    Fixed a crash that occurred while entering a multiplayer game.
    Fixed a rare crash that happened when parsing a player's nickname for the death card.

Singleplayer Crashes
    Fixed a crash relating to the player’s party failing to disband after the player was caught trying to sneak into a settlement.
    Fixed a crash that occurred when the player laid siege to a settlement and the owner defected to an allied/neutral kingdom.
    Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when the player pressed the “Exit to Main Menu” button.
    Fixed a crash that sometimes happened upon the completion of the “Weaken/Unify Empire” quest.
    Fixed a crash that occurred when leaving a scene after activating the “Overpriced Raw Materials” quest.
    Fixed a rare crash that occurred when leaving a scene after choosing to solve a quest with the lord solution.

Character Development System
    Rebalanced two trade perks that increased the selling price of items by 5%. They now reduce trade penalties by 5% instead.
    Balanced combat experience gain for tournaments and practice fights.

Battles and Sieges
    Plunderable gold from each lord after a battle is capped to 10K.

Kingdoms and Diplomacy
    Clans that own a settlement will no longer be able to join a kingdom as a mercenary.
    Reduced the drop rate of horses as loot by 65%.
    Lords with an excess of 100k denars now act as if they have 100k when purchasing horses for their party.
    Fixed the bug where individual lords or armies would keep attacking the player after agreeing on a safe passage or a peace barter.

Clan and Party
    Fixed a bug which caused only Sturgian companions to be spawned and hireable in taverns.

Quests & Issues
    Fixed a rare bug in the main storyline conspiracy phase.

Settlement Actions (Town, Village, Castle and Hideout)
    Tournament maximum bet amount is reduced to 150 from 300 and odds for the player are now reducing after each tournament win. Max odds are increased to 3 from 2.
    Tournament prizes pool now includes all items (weapons, armour, and horses only) which have a value between 250-2000 (average 500).

Other
    Khuzait Heavy Lancers skills are recalibrated to their initial level.

Boo, a number of nerfs. Nothing that can't be fixed with a mod or 2. :P