As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Keep your human antivirus up to date

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It's possible you accidentally downloaded and installed the Nvidia sound drivers. I haven't had issue with those, but I avoid them as a matter of principle for now. Nvidia has been rolling them into their video driver updates; this is one of the reasons I use the "custom" option when installing.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Ordered all my parts through prime yesterday, Ram and mobo should be here by tomorrow but looks like the CPU isn't projected to be here until the 16th. Hasn't shipped yet and the money is still on the card.

ycfZq1V.gif

This was me yesterday waiting for my parts and I even used next day shipping. Was it unreasonable to want the parts that fast and a waste of money? Probably. Worth it? Yes.

For any upgrades in the future I think I'll just drive the hour to micro center. It sounds like a fun time.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm having a hard time figuring out if I need to upgrade my machine or not.

Intel i5-6600k 3.5 GHz 4 core CPU
    Nvidia 1080 Ti
    16 GB of RAM

I think my video card is fine, but maybe my CPU is holding me back? I'm trying to play HL Alyx and it is lagging even on the lowest of settings.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah all our prime deliveries are delayed, and looking at other places for my sister's build the delivery estimates are even further out.

Can't even go to a store to pick it up, but ultimately it's much better then having them open.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm having a hard time figuring out if I need to upgrade my machine or not.

Nvidia 1080 Ti
    16 GB of RAM

I think my video card is fine, but maybe my CPU is holding me back? I'm trying to play HL Alyx and it is lagging even on the lowest of settings.

i had almost your exact system, 6600k, 1070, 16gb of ram.

I just upgraded to a ryzen 3700x because i couldn't stand the cpu constantly 100%ing when trying to multitask and how slow encodes were after all the meltdown/spectre stuff really hurt my cpu speeds.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    While I work in IT I don't keep up to date on PC building too much these days. I noticed just recently how old my CPU is (i5 3450) and now that I'm starting to play some newer games I'm running into longer load times than I'd like.

I've already switched to SSDs for storage so I'm good there(will be adding 1-2 M2 drives). What's the usual go-to in terms of CPU for gaming? It seems as though it jumps back and forth from Intel to AMD every 6 months, is the latest i5 or i7 the way to go, or is AMD the better choice in terms of $/performance?

My current cycle is around 5-7 years on CPU/RAM/MB, while my GPU is 2 years old. For a roughly $800 build, getting this length of time for a mid-range build has been fantastic, so I don't feel as though dropping $500 on a CPU that would get me 6 years over a $250 CPU that would give me 5 is a good use of money.

The Ryzen 5 3600 is the best bang for the buck CPU for gaming. You'd see a significant improvement over your i5-3450, you'd be gaining 2 physical cores and 8 threads, plus the IPC uplift is substantial.

A Ryzen 7 3700X would be the next chip I'd recommend for a mainstream build, but that's up a price tier. You'll obviously need a new motherboard no matter whether you go AMD or Intel, but you'll also have to budget for DDR4 RAM as well.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Just spend $texas and get a 3950x

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

Nvidia 1080 Ti
    16 GB of RAM

I just upgraded to a ryzen 3700x because i couldn't stand the cpu constantly 100%ing when trying to multitask and how slow encodes were after all the meltdown/spectre stuff really hurt my cpu speeds.

What processor would you recommend I upgrade to?

I have a Asus Z170-A motherboard, so I assume I’ll have to replace the motherboard and RAM as well?

• Options
    The RAM can transfer over, but Ryzen likes fast RAM. GENERALLY, anything above 3200 is probably where you want to be. That being said, slower RAM won't hurt performance to the point of non-use.

• Options
    I’ve been out of the loop for a while and I’m having a hard time evaluating the different CPUs. It doesn’t help that Intel uses essentially the same names for their processors despite the generations being different (i3, i5, etc).

It sounds like people are recommending the Ryzen processors now? I saw an article on PC Gamer that said that Intel was better for gaming (primarily what I do). I would like to future proof a bit so if I upgrade my graphics card in the future the processor won’t be my bottleneck.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Nvidia 1080 Ti
    16 GB of RAM

What processor would you recommend I upgrade to?

I have a Asus Z170-A motherboard, so I assume I’ll have to replace the motherboard and RAM as well?

Motherboard yes, RAM no.

How much money do you want to spend? We're all pretty much going to recommend something in the Ryzen 3 family at this point. So depending on how much you want to spend it will be something from a Ryzen 3600 to a 3900X. The only other consideration would be if you only ever use this rig for gaming and you want to be in the 500 price range you may consider a 9900K from Intel...but that's an incredibly small segment. Most people would still be better off with the 3900X in that price range.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Myiagros wrote: »
    While I work in IT I don't keep up to date on PC building too much these days. I noticed just recently how old my CPU is (i5 3450) and now that I'm starting to play some newer games I'm running into longer load times than I'd like.

I've already switched to SSDs for storage so I'm good there(will be adding 1-2 M2 drives). What's the usual go-to in terms of CPU for gaming? It seems as though it jumps back and forth from Intel to AMD every 6 months, is the latest i5 or i7 the way to go, or is AMD the better choice in terms of $/performance?

My current cycle is around 5-7 years on CPU/RAM/MB, while my GPU is 2 years old. For a roughly $800 build, getting this length of time for a mid-range build has been fantastic, so I don't feel as though dropping $500 on a CPU that would get me 6 years over a $250 CPU that would give me 5 is a good use of money.

The Ryzen 5 3600 is the best bang for the buck CPU for gaming. You'd see a significant improvement over your i5-3450, you'd be gaining 2 physical cores and 8 threads, plus the IPC uplift is substantial.

A Ryzen 7 3700X would be the next chip I'd recommend for a mainstream build, but that's up a price tier. You'll obviously need a new motherboard no matter whether you go AMD or Intel, but you'll also have to budget for DDR4 RAM as well.

After playing Warzone for a few hours Friday night and my CPU and RAM being pinned at 100% the entire time I snap bought a Ryzen 5 3600, motherboard, and 16GB RAM. Game runs amazing now, barely cracking 30% usage and all lag on my end is gone. Ended up around $675 in parts (Canadian so :bigfrown:), but well worth it since I can run any AAA game now for probably the next 4-5 years.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I’ve been out of the loop for a while and I’m having a hard time evaluating the different CPUs. It doesn’t help that Intel uses essentially the same names for their processors despite the generations being different (i3, i5, etc).

It sounds like people are recommending the Ryzen processors now? I saw an article on PC Gamer that said that Intel was better for gaming (primarily what I do). I would like to future proof a bit so if I upgrade my graphics card in the future the processor won’t be my bottleneck.

Ryzen 3000 CPU's are the best general purpose CPU's you can buy right now. For gaming the i9-9900K is the best pure gaming CPU, but that's really the only battle Intel is winning and in most games, with most video cards, you will never notice. For people that are wanting to max out 240hz monitors the 9900K is the go to. For everyone else? Buy a Ryzen CPU and get a lot more CPU for the dollar.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah for general use (gaming AND other things) the value of the Ryzen line is unbeatable.

The 9900k is the last holdout on pure performance (if I remember my benches the 10900k didnt even beat it), but if you get a 3700X at half the price you'll feel much better.

Keep in mind that unless you're running a 2080ti, youll likely notice zero difference. What you will notice is Ryzens ability to be just snappy with that alt tab and much more money in your bank account.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for the help guys. Here are the parts I’ve picked out:

ASRock X570 TAICHI Motherboard:
    https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x570-taichi/p/N82E16813157883?Description=ASRock X570 Taichi&cm_re=ASRock_X570_Taichi-_-13-157-883-_-Product&quicklink=true

OLOy 32G RAM (2x 16 GB DDR 3200) - I saw that Ryzens work better with faster RAM so is this worth the upgrade?
    https://www.newegg.com/oloy-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820821196?Item=N82E16820821196

AMD Ryzen 3700X Processor
    https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/p/N82E16819113567?Item=N82E16819113567

My computer currently uses:
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 120mm

CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM

I assume my power supply and CPU water cooler are still good? I assume I need to buy more thermalpaste when I get the new Ryzen CPU so I can remount the cooler. Any recommendations there?

Also, is there anything fancy I need to do to my hard drive when I install the new components? I assume swapping out processor and RAM would confuse my OS.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    The H60 should be okay for a 3700X? I'm not sure, but it'll probably work. If it were a 3900X or 3950X I'd definitely say no, that's too small of a radiator.

That said, keep in mind that Ryzen CPU's will clock higher, for longer, the more cooling you throw at them. Obviously there are still limits, but in big multi-core workloads more cooling = more better generally.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    It's also worth noting that although the 9900k edges out the top end AMD CPUs for maximum frame rates on many games, the minimum frame rate, which IMO is almost more important because of how often we're GPU-bound anyway, is often a different story

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The H60 should be okay for a 3700X? I'm not sure, but it'll probably work. If it were a 3900X or 3950X I'd definitely say no, that's too small of a radiator.

That said, keep in mind that Ryzen CPU's will clock higher, for longer, the more cooling you throw at them. Obviously there are still limits, but in big multi-core workloads more cooling = more better generally.

Is there a different cooler you recommend? I don’t mind putting in a new cooler if I’m going to the effort of swapping out my motherboard.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    What case do you have? If it's big enough for one of the big hunks of metal like a D15 or the Fuma 2 will do you better than a 120mm aio.

My recommendations

B450 Tomahawk Max to save yourself some serious scratch

G.Skill Ripjaws at 3600 speed for not a lot more than you're paying for some noname brand 3200

Scythe Fuma 2 to spend a little more of that saved money.

You could keep the H60, but you probably need to contact Corsair for a AM4 mounting bracket.

• Options

Is there a different cooler you recommend? I don’t mind putting in a new cooler if I’m going to the effort of swapping out my motherboard.

A 240mm or 280mm CLC would be a nice solid cooler for that CPU. You can stay with Corsair, they still make great coolers. So the H100i is the 240mm, and the H110i/H115i are the 280mm (H115 has a thicker radiator). I use a H100i to cool my 3950X so that would work a treat for the 3700X I'm sure.

If you want to go air, basically any of the big Noctua air coolers will be solid. I'm not as knowledgeable about air coolers so others may have some other recommendations there as well.

• Options
    iguanacus wrote: »
    What case do you have? If it's big enough for one of the big hunks of metal like a D15 or the Fuma 2 will do you better than a 120mm aio.

My recommendations

B450 Tomahawk Max to save yourself some serious scratch

G.Skill Ripjaws at 3600 speed for not a lot more than you're paying for some noname brand 3200

Scythe Fuma 2 to spend a little more of that saved money.

You could keep the H60, but you probably need to contact Corsair for a AM4 mounting bracket.

I have a Fractal R5 case. Would it fit those?

• Options
    I guess another question is if I upgrade my graphics card two to four years down the line will the 3700x be a bottleneck?

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Yep, and R5 can support up to 180mm height air coolers.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

A 240mm or 280mm CLC would be a nice solid cooler for that CPU. You can stay with Corsair, they still make great coolers. So the H100i is the 240mm, and the H110i/H115i are the 280mm (H115 has a thicker radiator). I use a H100i to cool my 3950X so that would work a treat for the 3700X I'm sure.

If you want to go air, basically any of the big Noctua air coolers will be solid. I'm not as knowledgeable about air coolers so others may have some other recommendations there as well.

A Noctua U12S (either the normal or chromax.black) can pretty much do whatever is wanted with a 3700X. It's much easier to cool than the similar Intel chips.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Also, i3, i5, i7, and i9 are not generational designations. That's the number that follows. I have a i7-6700k which is sixth generation (6xxx) and the ability to natively OC (k).

• Options
    Eventually CPU product SKUs will have to be decrypted using an enigma machine.

• Options
    It's not just CPU's. GPU's are out of control with all the different SKU levels. So are cases.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I upgraded my GTX 970 to a RTX 2080 Super, and it’s one of those hybrid cards that has an AIO built in. I’m CPU-bound in certain parts of certain games because I have an i5-4590 from 2014, so it’s totally overpriced and overkill for now until I upgrade the CPU + motherboard, but YOLO 😂

The Witcher runs at 60fps at 4K High, and Modern Warfare multiplayer runs at 60fps at 1440p with RTX on, so... 🤷🏻‍♂️

KPC on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Monitor recs?

My trusty, reliable, Acer P201W that I've used since like 2007 or something is starting to fade. I can see alternating light and dark vertical bars all across the screen. They've not very noticeable for the most part unless I'm looking for them, but stick out like a thumb when the image is dark.

Now, almost the whole machine is due for an upgrade, and it's something I was working on before the pandemic shut everything down and my 2nd job furloughed me. So it'll happen, just not as soon as I hoped. But I would like a monitor now-ish, understanding that supply has been destroyed by the uptick in WFH.

Monitors are all $TEXAS now? My desk is a tiny limited thing for my small apartment, so going to much bigger than 20" is out of the question. 24" might be doable depending on how thick the bezel is. I'm definitely not doing 4k @ 144Hz anytime soon, and likely not even with the planned upgrade. Especially not if all those monitors are individually as much as an entire build.

Current build:
    Intel i5-3570 @ 3.40GHz
    16GB RAM
    GTX 1070

Any future upgrade will likely be everything but the case, storage drives and GPU. PSU is as old as the monitor and has spent a fair amount of its time in the past running 24/7. I'd like a decent monitor under $150, and I suppose I could probably handle 1920x1080 resolutions even now.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    It's not just CPU's. GPU's are out of control with all the different SKU levels. So are cases.

Yeah, but for GPUs you have to consult the Delphi oracle before you know if you should use SIGABA or Lorenz.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    expendable wrote: »
    Monitor recs?

My trusty, reliable, Acer P201W that I've used since like 2007 or something is starting to fade. I can see alternating light and dark vertical bars all across the screen. They've not very noticeable for the most part unless I'm looking for them, but stick out like a thumb when the image is dark.

Now, almost the whole machine is due for an upgrade, and it's something I was working on before the pandemic shut everything down and my 2nd job furloughed me. So it'll happen, just not as soon as I hoped. But I would like a monitor now-ish, understanding that supply has been destroyed by the uptick in WFH.

Monitors are all $TEXAS now? My desk is a tiny limited thing for my small apartment, so going to much bigger than 20" is out of the question. 24" might be doable depending on how thick the bezel is. I'm definitely not doing 4k @ 144Hz anytime soon, and likely not even with the planned upgrade. Especially not if all those monitors are individually as much as an entire build.

Current build:
    Intel i5-3570 @ 3.40GHz
    16GB RAM
    GTX 1070

Any future upgrade will likely be everything but the case, storage drives and GPU. PSU is as old as the monitor and has spent a fair amount of its time in the past running 24/7. I'd like a decent monitor under $150, and I suppose I could probably handle 1920x1080 resolutions even now.

1440p, 23.8 inch, and 165hz refresh from Dell: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg

Give it a calibration and then enjoy mad fast graphics forever.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Eventually CPU product SKUs will have to be decrypted using an enigma machine.
    Or Batman's computer in the cave.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm trying to streamline my VR setup (I'm not ready to dump another 2k on a VR exclusive machine). I'm nailing down most of hte bits I need, but the BIG one (no pun intended) is a replacement case. The one I currently have I bought in 2010 and was listed as "mid-size" case, but it's actually ENORMOUS. Like stupidly huge. Easily the biggest case I've ever owned.

It's like 23.5" x 10.5" x 20" (Actualy dimesions 592mm x 265mm x 507mm)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/Graphite-Series™-600T-Mid-Tower-Case/p/CC600T

It's heavy and cumbersome and a huge pain in the ass to carry over to the vr room, and the fans all rattle. I've basically had it with this case and my brother is interested in taking it off my hands, so I just need a good replacement case.

The guts are mostly from 2017, with the sole exception of a RTX 2070 I got the following year. Motherboard is a MSI Pro Series Intel Z270 DDR4 HDMI USB 3 SLI ATX. I don't really have anything super special or unique about this rig, I don't think, and I'm not the kind of person who cares about cases looking cool or having neat lights. I just want something that's lightweight, maybe with a handle, but will still fit these guts without a heating issue. Any recommendations?

• Options
    OLOy isn't really noname brand in that they have decent controllers on the RAM chips. I still prefer GSkill and Corsair; which you can find for the same price with a little work and patience.

The H60 will need a new bracket to fit AM4; I'm not certain those are still available from Cooler Master. My H50 was old enough when I upgraded (from a 4770) that I decided to get a new cooler

I'm using a Noctua U12S with a 3800X (with very light load) with no issues.

• Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone! I ended up buying the Ryzen 7 3700X, G Skill 32 GB DDR4 3600 RAM, Corsair H100i 240mm water cooler, and the MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard.

Once I get everything and set it all up I'll report back!

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I'm trying to streamline my VR setup (I'm not ready to dump another 2k on a VR exclusive machine). I'm nailing down most of hte bits I need, but the BIG one (no pun intended) is a replacement case. The one I currently have I bought in 2010 and was listed as "mid-size" case, but it's actually ENORMOUS. Like stupidly huge. Easily the biggest case I've ever owned.

It's like 23.5" x 10.5" x 20" (Actualy dimesions 592mm x 265mm x 507mm)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/Graphite-Series™-600T-Mid-Tower-Case/p/CC600T

It's heavy and cumbersome and a huge pain in the ass to carry over to the vr room, and the fans all rattle. I've basically had it with this case and my brother is interested in taking it off my hands, so I just need a good replacement case.

The guts are mostly from 2017, with the sole exception of a RTX 2070 I got the following year. Motherboard is a MSI Pro Series Intel Z270 DDR4 HDMI USB 3 SLI ATX. I don't really have anything super special or unique about this rig, I don't think, and I'm not the kind of person who cares about cases looking cool or having neat lights. I just want something that's lightweight, maybe with a handle, but will still fit these guts without a heating issue. Any recommendations?

Your ATX motherboard will be the limiter here, since most ATX cases will be in that size range. Maybe HTPC type cases that manufacturers like Silverstone make?

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#sort=price&t=2,11&f=2

KPC on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Oh I forgot to post the finished build:

thapaxk6e2ql.png

My god this is so beautiful and I need it!

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Hey guys, two queries:

1. A pair of engineer friends want to build drafting PC's! This is pretty out of my wheel house, but is there some general guidance when it comes to picking GPU's for something like this? Primary usage is drafting, but they'd like to do some gaming as well... Threadrippers and Titans? Or Quadro's? What's the hotness for a PC like that?

2. A fellow business owner in my area is looking for a cheap GPU to do triple monitors with... What cheap but not dogshit value like the GT710?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Hey guys, two queries:

1. A pair of engineer friends want to build drafting PC's! This is pretty out of my wheel house, but is there some general guidance when it comes to picking GPU's for something like this? Primary usage is drafting, but they'd like to do some gaming as well... Threadrippers and Titans? Or Quadro's? What's the hotness for a PC like that?

2. A fellow business owner in my area is looking for a cheap GPU to do triple monitors with... What cheap but not dogshit value like the GT710?

For 1, do you know what software they use specifically?

For 2, even integrated graphics on modern intel chips can drive 3 displays, assuming you can find a way to get two displayport and an hdmi output built into a motherboard.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Hey guys, two queries:

For 1, do you know what software they use specifically?

For 2, even integrated graphics on modern intel chips can drive 3 displays, assuming you can find a way to get two displayport and an hdmi output built into a motherboard.

1. Sorry, way too vague. They're using SolidWorks primarily, mostly for modelling work. One will be using it like 95% for work, but the other is likely to have a more liberal split. I have a feeling I would prioritize an RTX 4000 for him, where the other would likely use a 2080 Super, or 2080ti, budget permitting.

2. They already have an old 3770k PC they want to use, just an add-in card to allow for multi display.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
This discussion has been closed.