As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Connecting an internal CD-ROM drive to a new laptop?

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
I took apart an old laptop that had a CD-ROM drive, and I have it sitting here. Are there any ways to convert it to a new laptop, like externally, since my new one(and most new laptops) don't seem to have CD drives?

Here's the hardware if it helps:
JPEG_20200405_142540.jpg?width=444&height=592

wVEsyIc.png

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that seems to be what I found as well(though I think this is a mini-sata). Will it work with a newer laptop off the bat?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Yeah, that seems to be what I found as well(though I think this is a mini-sata). Will it work with a newer laptop off the bat?

With the adapter, yes - they're plug and play compliant and will just appear like any USB drive. Without the adapter, if the laptop has the hardware to connect directly it'll almost always have a bay for it. I have run into a handful of HP and Lenovo laptops with the connector but no bay, likely because of shared components between different models, but the only way to actually connect a drive to them is to run it disassembled on a bench, and that's only something you want to do temporarily for testing.

• Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    A brand new external CD-Rom drive will likely be as cheap as the cable The Wolfman mentioned and be a better bet to keep running over time.
    Unless you have an emotional attachment to that salvaged drive, that's the way I'd go.